Emotional rambelings from a crazy pregnant lady... - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 96 Old 11-26-2007, 02:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmzbm View Post
I have one in mind...I'll be meeting with her in the next week or so. She seems perfect & - at least via email - seems to believe in my ability to birth. A HUGE plus is she LITERALLY lives around the corner from me!

I think having someone "on call" if needed would be a good thing. I did flat out tell her I wanted a UC & she's supportive of that.

So, what would this be..."UC with benefits?" Teehee, yeah, I'm dumb...feeling better today though.
I had a midwife present at my UC. Some wouldn't call it a UC, but it was. She didn't interfere at all, and my DP caught our baby girl. We didn't really need her there, but her presence has always made me feel comfortable and supported and her being there did not affect any aspect of my birth, except that she was able to help me when I had a postpartum hemmorhage. I'm not sure I would have remained so calm if she hadn't been there. I am thankful for her being there when I needed her, and not there when I didn't.

An on-call midwife, one who supports the idea of UC, would give you the best of both worlds, I think.
#62 of 96 Old 11-26-2007, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsInDigital View Post
An on-call midwife, one who supports the idea of UC, would give you the best of both worlds, I think.

And a measure of security. Hopefully I won't even have to call though.

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#63 of 96 Old 11-26-2007, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBlack View Post
Besides, I have to say that when it comes to my own experiences of '100% certainty' in this life...well. Not all of those things came out the way I hoped, to say the least! So I have come to the conclusion that being '100% certain' is NOT A GUARANTEE OF GOOD THINGS--it is only a guarantee of being on the path your life most needs to take....being on the path that your baby and your whole family most need to take, within a FAR LARGER scheme than our personal wishes and visions. And this can include the experiences of disaster and heartache, on the way to enlightenment or whatever you call it for yourself. I'm saying that while I totally agree that the mind, our beliefs do shape our reality, well, there is a lot more to that than simply affirming 1000times a day "I will have a lovely birth" and then expecting that the birth will be exactly as you envisioned it....that 'loveliness' may well be something you have to reach for and search for, rather than being granted it in obvious ways.

For instance, I have spent a lot of time in my life affirming being a peacemaker....and this seems to have led directly into some of the most embattled events ever! I could only conclude that the universe took me seriously--and sent those experiences so that I could see just how I had unconscious habits working against that wish...and how I could become more conscious of my behavior, more careful in my choices of relationships, things like that. I have indeed been on my way to becoming a peacemaker...it's just a bigger thing than my early ideas about it. You are on your way to being a wise empowered life-giver, actively, consciously birthing woman. There is simply no way for you to know now, just what that journey will entail in all details. And again... that is always true, for all of us...you are just in a position to be more clearly aware of the uncertainties of life than most of us are willing to be on a daily basis.
I just thought this was so good. It's something that I find so hard to put into words. You put it so well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsInDigital
I had a midwife present at my UC. Some wouldn't call it a UC, but it was. She didn't interfere at all, and my DP caught our baby girl. We didn't really need her there, but her presence has always made me feel comfortable and supported and her being there did not affect any aspect of my birth, except that she was able to help me when I had a postpartum hemmorhage.
That kind of midwife is a rare bird. The midwife who attended my second birth was wonderful too -- really just stayed out of my way and respected that I had my own way of birthing. For me, the problem was not her or anything she was doing, but my inability to be inside the birth with her there. If I wasn't like that, I'd have surely invited a similar kind of midwife to my next birth. But I really just could not pull my awareness away from her and the others observing, and into my body and onto my baby once he was born, and that was a real loss, and an interference with bonding. I feel lucky that it didn't cause problems in second and third stage.
#64 of 96 Old 11-26-2007, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Rare indeed! I kind'a feel like I was meant to find this one...just hope my bubble isn't burst when I do have a face to face with her.

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#65 of 96 Old 11-26-2007, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Thank you, that post sounds like the logic I am looking for.
My mind operates on an "all or nothing" default setting. *sigh*
I hear you about all or nothing. I totally understand. I planned to exclusively breastfeed my baby for two years and never let a drop of formula touch her lips. But then I wound up with low supply and discovered that even though she gets most of her nutrition from formula, I could still maintain a beautiful breastfeeding relationship with her. So I am extremely grateful to have found that there IS something other than all or nothing, and I hope you can find the same thing for your birth.
#66 of 96 Old 11-26-2007, 03:43 PM

I do feel like there are situations where a midwife might be able to offer a small intervention that might not occur to you in the heat of the moment (like helping you to urinate after the birth so that the uterus can clamp down more effectively and stop bleeding) and help avoid the need for bigger interventions. They can also be reassuring when you can't sort out whether you are feeling intuition or fear. They can be good advocates in the hospital environment if you have to transfer(as long as they are there -- in some states lay midwives really can't go to the hospital because of fear of prosecution).

That said, it might be hard to get a midwife who will help you without bringing her own fears to the table. In both of my births I had midwives who feared shoulder dystocia because I am overweight (my kids were 7lbs 6 oz and 8lbs 12 oz and flew out once they crowned, whatever) and in my second birth I think their fear negatively impacted the outcome (my son had decels and then some breathing difficulties and their sense of panic kept me from doing the work I needed to do and almost led to an unnecessary transfer). I am so grateful for this experience because it has helped me to understand how midwives can interfere with the birth process.

I have been to births where the midwife agreed to attend out of a sense of activism -- she might feel like it is wrong that no one would care for a woman with 4 c-sections and agree to do it for that reason. Beware this midwife and make sure that you really aren't operating outside her comfort zone because she might have a very low threshold for throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Stacia -- intrepid mama, midwife, and doula. Changing the world one 'zine at a time.
#67 of 96 Old 11-26-2007, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Well..."all" is still the goal and I have alot riding on this. (Future children, etc.) But I'm working on not being so extremist, LOL!

#68 of 96 Old 11-26-2007, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Defenestrator- ITA w/your whole first paragraph! Very true.

FWIW though, if I have to go to the hospital I am immediately requesting a section. I am NOT willing to play the labor at the hospital game again. And should I go it would be an absolute emergency so a section would be warranted anyhow.

#69 of 96 Old 11-26-2007, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylee18 View Post
I would not completely write off the possibility of hospital VBAC. Of course they'd say they won't "let" you, or that they don't "provide the service of VBAC," but they are not legally permitted to force "automatic" surgery on unconsenting patients.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Yeah. I don't really think that it's a wise thing to plan a hospital VBAC in an unsupported environment.

-Angela
As a mama who has has a hospital VBAC under optimal circumstances and an HBAC, as well, I can only say : to Angela.
#70 of 96 Old 11-26-2007, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah really...I consider, personally, my hospital experience with DS2 worse than forced surgery - I BEGGED for surgery & didn't get it. (Well, I DID, 4 days later...)
It's little conselation to know they broke the law after they have their way with you.
This mama is only going for an emergency & for a section...no laboring in hospitals for me again. Ever. I don't care if it's the friendliest VBAC hospital on the planet. No thanks, really.

#71 of 96 Old 11-26-2007, 07:46 PM

i'm quitting mdc because mdc is unkind and discriminates against mamas with special needs babies.
#72 of 96 Old 11-26-2007, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaspar View Post
i think the question for you would be, what were the reasons for your previous cesarians, and are those issues likely to recur?
Reasons? Being in a hospital. Likely to recur? Not very.

Thanks for the comments, I appreciate it!!

#73 of 96 Old 11-26-2007, 08:29 PM

Marie, I wonder if what you are looking for is the calm feeling that women often have when surrounded by women who believe in the birth process, whether a midwife, doula, or friend. As I pondered your question about what a midwife could provide that we can't do for ourselves, I thought of my hospital VBAC. I had a doula, who also happened to be a homebirth midwife. We didn't know each other well, but I trusted her. Anytime she left the room to microwave the rice sock for my back, to update the nurses, etc, the contractions I had while she was gone were somehow a little more difficult to handle even though my dh was still with me. It wasn't as if it was overwhelming in her absence, but there was enough of a difference to notice that I had an easier time when she was present even if she was just sitting while dh was by my side. I know not every woman needs something like this, but I was wondering if that was what you were looking for. Maybe it's not about the risks associated with VBAMC. Maybe it's just about birth?
#74 of 96 Old 11-26-2007, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaS View Post
Marie, I wonder if what you are looking for is the calm feeling that women often have when surrounded by women who believe in the birth process, whether a midwife, doula, or friend. As I pondered your question about what a midwife could provide that we can't do for ourselves, I thought of my hospital VBAC. I had a doula, who also happened to be a homebirth midwife. We didn't know each other well, but I trusted her. Anytime she left the room to microwave the rice sock for my back, to update the nurses, etc, the contractions I had while she was gone were somehow a little more difficult to handle even though my dh was still with me. It wasn't as if it was overwhelming in her absence, but there was enough of a difference to notice that I had an easier time when she was present even if she was just sitting while dh was by my side. I know not every woman needs something like this, but I was wondering if that was what you were looking for. Maybe it's not about the risks associated with VBAMC. Maybe it's just about birth?
You make a good point.

One thing I do know about myself is I tend to be...what's the word...paniky. For no reason at all alot of the time. I think someone else's presence would keep me in check. And that type behavior can cause problems for sure. Maybe having someone keep me calm could keep me progressing too. I don't have any legitamate fears, really. I am ok with the numbers and the risks. But I still get all "OMG-ish." I wish I could hand pick a few of you to come!

#75 of 96 Old 11-26-2007, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmzbm
Can someone please tell me what I can get out of a midwives care than I can't give myself?
I just realized I never answered this question. I think I read over it too fast and perceived it as being rhetorical.

What I've found midwives valuable for:

With my second birth, I wasn't ready to do my own prenatal care and felt more comfortable having someone else oversee it. I also really needed those prenatal appointments as therapy sessions, to work through my previous traumatic birth, and also to just have a birth-positive person to talk to, which at the time I really didn't have anywhere else. That was incredibly valuable to me.

With my third and fourth, which were UCs, I used midwives for a "second opinion" on a couple of issues; it was good to have a friendly and trusted professional to consult with if I felt the need for it. I also knew I could count on them to be support if I needed to transfer (which, for me also would have been only in a serious emergency) because my husband does not do hospital well and to be honest neither do I. Not as a go-between or protecter -- I see it as something of a myth that support people have really any voice at all as far as hospital personnel are concerned -- but as someone who is familiar with the system and can help us navigate it and offer emotional support along the way. These were friends, though, and I knew I could trust them and that they would stick by me. That would be more iffy with a hired stranger, perhaps.

One of them very much played a more traditional midwifery role for me by simply being with me in a positive, loving way when I was working through some difficult things ("with woman"). Again, though, this was someone who is also a friend, and there is a high level of trust and feeling of security there.

I loved that having them as backup -- in other words, giving me the freedom to not have to have it be all or nothing -- gave me the freedom to really give my body and heart voice at every step in the process. I didn't have to deny that voice if it didn't happen to fit into either the total UC or total hospital plan. That was very calming and reassuring, and allowed me to quiet myself enough to really intuit what I needed, rather making choices based on limited options.

I am a very big fan of midwives, just not for the purpose of being involved in my normal birth process.
#76 of 96 Old 11-26-2007, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

See, I'm kind of the opposite. I have no desire or use for prenatal care. I want someone on hand for the birth should something unexpected happen, if I am unsure of what's going on...or just need someone to tell me all is well.

#77 of 96 Old 11-26-2007, 10:05 PM

Quote:
I wish I could hand pick a few of you to come!
Well, I would come if I could. But since I can't I'll be with you in spirit. Draw on the strength, support and energy from the women who have been here before you. You have that weather you have a midwife or not.
#78 of 96 Old 11-26-2007, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaS View Post
Well, I would come if I could. But since I can't I'll be with you in spirit. Draw on the strength, support and energy from the women who have been here before you. You have that weather you have a midwife or not.
Awww! Thanks!

#79 of 96 Old 11-27-2007, 12:15 AM

How are you feeling tonight, Marie?

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#80 of 96 Old 11-27-2007, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justthatgirl View Post
How are you feeling tonight, Marie?
Pretty good.

A bit more resolved. Had a long talk with Randy about all this...I love him. It went really well. Having a lot of support really helps.

UC it is, with a MW on reserve. It feels right. I can't do any more than this & have to accept that I guess. It'll all be good.

#81 of 96 Old 11-27-2007, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Pretty good.

A bit more resolved. Had a long talk with Randy about all this...I love him. It went really well. Having a lot of support really helps.

UC it is, with a MW on reserve. It feels right. I can't do any more than this & have to accept that I guess. It'll all be good.
Good! Seems like a good plan for you. Would type more but holding sleeping baby. Oh, when are you due? Spring?

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#82 of 96 Old 11-27-2007, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

April first...so probably sometime mid-May!

#83 of 96 Old 11-27-2007, 02:15 PM

Quote:
April first...so probably sometime mid-May!
Well, at least you're prepared for going past your edd! I was not. I was ready to c/s myself when he was finally born! :

#84 of 96 Old 11-27-2007, 02:20 PM
Banned

i'm really concerned for the safety of those choosing unassisted c-sectons. . .

lol.

can i please be due in sept? please? we ttc this cycle.
#85 of 96 Old 11-27-2007, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I'd also like to go on record as saying a do it yourself c-section is very risky. Please, do not try that at home! We have very skilled surgeons MORE than willing to take that on!

If anyone's still reading --- I have my actual midwife interview today, what are some good questions for someone in my situation?

#86 of 96 Old 11-27-2007, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post

can i please be due in sept? please? we ttc this cycle.
Good luck! I was born in Sept. - good month!

#87 of 96 Old 11-27-2007, 03:02 PM
Banned

well, here's what i'm asking when i go:

i am really interested in UCing, are you willing to be back up care for me?

if you're willing to be back up care for me, what do you see as my obligations to you?

and then there's the list of what i want to know about exams, process, who she is, which hospitals she's connected to, etc.

and, my husband is hoping for sept 5. he's so cute. that's the day our rabbit died this year. our rabbit was our baby and our grandfather all at once. anyway, he died on sept 5, and Dh thinks that if the baby is born around the same time or on the same day, it's probably a reincarnation of our rabbit.

of course, our friend did a puja for us so that the rabbit would be reincarnated with us, and according to him, the birthday doesn't matter.
#88 of 96 Old 11-27-2007, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

I don't want any prenatal *anything.* That's already understood. She is there for if I decide I need/want her. That's why I can't really think of all that many questions!

My BDay is 9/9.

#89 of 96 Old 11-27-2007, 04:10 PM
Banned

i think the main question is if she'd be ok with that. she may not, you know?

i don't know these two women that i'm interviewing, and i want 2 PNC appointments just to get the incentives from my health insurance company (otherwise, i wouldn't do it). they "require" one in the first and one in the second trimesters. i figure that i'll just meet with her and tell her i'm feeling good--that's all i want, really, is documentation that i had an appointment for PNC to get the $1000 from the insurance company.
#90 of 96 Old 11-27-2007, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
i think the main question is if she'd be ok with that. she may not, you know?

She is. That was understood upfront or I wouldn't even be bothering w/ her.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page