What do you think of these doctor-ordered tests? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 40 Old 11-30-2007, 11:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam_and_Abigail View Post

Does anyone here skip all tests? Do some of you pick and choose? How do you know what is necessary and what is extraneous?
It sounds like you have decided, but I'll answer this part of your question

With dd1, I saw an OB for 3 visits before switching to a midwife-run FSBC. I'm sure I had all the blood/urine testing they can do during those 3 visits! I remember also going for the mid-pregnancy bloodwork...but did NOT do the GTT or anything other than basic bloodwork at that point (I don't think she pushed anything else - it was available if the client wanted it, not for her sake, which I now find more refreshing...).

With dd2, I had the initial, first-visit bloodwork/urinalysis at a hospy-based midwife's office...with no intent of staying at the practice, but not really thinking through the whole refusal process. I do remember arguing with the phlebotomist who kept telling me she'd see me at 16 (?) weeks for the GTT...I kept telling her, "no you won't, I won't be doing that," and she kept saying, "yes you will, I'll see you then." I think I was the first person to ever even think of refusing it! After that appt, I switched to a home-birth mw (already in the plans, not in response to the appt) and had not a single additional "test" of any kind.

And ds was our UP/UC. I did NOTHING but measure my BP twice at Target because I happened to walk by the freebie machine

A dear friend/midwife asks people "what will you do with the results? How will the results change your course of action?" In other words, if there's something a test will tell you that will affect your actions, go for it. If not, skip it. For me, there is no test known to medicine that would change what I do while pregnant. So it's a no-brainer for me (now!).

Midwife and mama in the Valley of the Sun
#32 of 40 Old 12-03-2007, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2maya View Post
Having experienced a TERRIBLE kidney infection that landed me in the hospital for a week of IV antibiotics that progressed from a symptom-less UTI, I am quick to suggest a simple urinalysis to any pg women. I have never had a UTI ever before that either.
me, too. never had a uti before, had no symptoms until my kidney suddenly felt like it was being set on fire and crushed at the same time, and by then, the infection had spread to my blood. between that and my blood being funky because of iron, etc..i and my little guy were almost dead and in the hospital 8 days (was supposed to be longer but i refused blood and was screamed at in barely understandable english and a language im not sure of from a middle eastern born doc id never met over the phone to get out cause i wasnt listening and therefore was going to be allowed to be stupid and kill us) and on outpatient ivs for 2 months...

and rh..i am a+, my kids dad is a-...no issues, it only matters if YOURE negative.

id do cbc and urine uti/protein tests during preg. and thats it...i use a glucometer because imo its a horrible thing to do to a pregnant mama and babe to do the fast/chug syrup testing. not at all a sampling of the true way your body processes sugars!
jmho
#33 of 40 Old 12-03-2007, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

I'm just wondering what else they might sneak into the urine test, what will it be able to tell them?

I'm so glad everyone had shared their stories and experience, it's really been helpful.
#34 of 40 Old 12-04-2007, 01:44 PM

If GBS is present in the urine, it means that baby is likely to have GBS disease more severely (if it gets it) if my understanding is correct. Other than that, there's a limit to what you can see in wee.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#35 of 40 Old 12-04-2007, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I don't want to have the official GBS test, but if I'm going to get the urine test for uti's I guess there's no way around it? I don't want to have my records show the presence of a bacteria that most women have, but the medical community feels should be treated with abx.

I'm planning on going tomorrow, so I need to decide for certain.
#36 of 40 Old 12-04-2007, 06:08 PM

you can get the test strips....
the mw office i went to you diy with the strip[ dipping and interpret it in the bathroom, and tell them only if something shows up. it would be nice if you could get them to let you do it.
#37 of 40 Old 12-04-2007, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

yes, my mw always let we do my own test strips last time. But that doesn't show anything about uti's, as far as I know. Am I missing something?
#38 of 40 Old 12-06-2007, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I ended up doing the blood count and the urine. I wasn't sure about the urine, but I don't think they're going to actively be testing for GBS at 15 weeks, and if it does show up, it hardly matters for a birth that is months away.

All I did was cross off the tests before I got there, and they gave me no grief about it. Easy peasy!
#39 of 40 Old 12-06-2007, 03:56 PM

:d
#40 of 40 Old 01-05-2008, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I go in next week for my 2nd mw appt.
I wanted to email her and tell her to make a note on my record about the OB clinic, but I'm having problems with my sacrum, and she may suggest sending me there so I can get a referral about physio. If I don't say something before the appt, it will come up again, and I don't want to go through the persuasion. I don't even know if I need the referral for physio, or maybe my family doc could do it (though he doesn't do OB work here, I wonder if he'd get in trouble? I mean, who's to say that the physio has to be related to pregnancy...)

I also wanted to bump my thread because I noticed it is the last one in the forum, so I don't know if they're deleting threads or archiving them or what....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page