What I found out about our local hospital - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 40 Old 12-01-2007, 12:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by transformed View Post
omg, did you just say "unproven"? : Do they say that???
Yes, I had a doc say that to me w regards to a vbac after said hospital rail roaded me into a c/s w #1 up the intervention hwy.

When I tell women here that the hospital has roughly a 50% c/s rate and some mw advocates have numbers closer to 60% they just don't care. They like their OB, they don't think it will happen to them, etc. They dont' want to think about the blessed hospital and OB as being a bad choice, if they even see it as a choice.

I've read over on a mainstream board the following and it shocked me --

Quote:
You MUST get pelvic exams for your health for the rest of your life, so there is no way around it.
It goes on about you could die w/o a pelvic exam.

I think this mind set is deeply set into women, they MUST see an OB for pregnancy. They MUST comply w routine procedures and protocols. They MUST or they will die.

I see changes happening, but it is slow. It's one woman to woman at a time approach. It's bringing midwifery into mainstream mommy play group chats. It's having legal hb mw's coming to such groups for talks. It's being able to say I used so and so who has an office on b str and then she comes to your home at 36wks until the end! I think Birth Matter and other education grass roots is the best way to bring birthing to it's former natural status and to be revered not feared!
#32 of 40 Old 12-01-2007, 01:01 PM

I had 5 friends give birth this year and out of them 4 had c-sections. Seems like a pretty high rate to me.
#33 of 40 Old 12-01-2007, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmmiK View Post
Elective c/s should be out of the question.
I disagree with this.

I think that elective C is a valid birth choice, if the mother is truly informed as to the risks vs a vaginal birth, and chooses C with full, informed consent.

I don't think most women are so informed, though.
#34 of 40 Old 12-01-2007, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by feebeeglee View Post
I disagree with this.

I think that elective C is a valid birth choice, if the mother is truly informed as to the risks vs a vaginal birth, and chooses C with full, informed consent.

It would be nice if, while the OB is discussing risks of that, they could also discuss the risks/benefits of homebirth with honesty Now THAT would be true informed consent, eh?

Sunny coolshine.gif: gun toting, retired breastfeeding, car seat loving, guitar playing, home birthing and schooling mama to Jakob (10.06), Mikah (07.08) and Korah (07.11). uc.jpg 

#35 of 40 Old 12-03-2007, 07:38 PM

also, you have to remember a lot of people dont see a csection rate being high as a BAD thing.

and does anyone knowhow to find out rates for other ones like the pp posted for NJ?
#36 of 40 Old 12-08-2007, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feebeeglee View Post
I disagree with this.

Personally, I don't think it's a valid choice any more than I think elective hysterectomy (no medical problems, just didn't want to have a period any more) is a valid choice. Yes, I once met a woman who wanted that, and she was ranting and raving that her doctor and insurance company wouldn't go along with it. She said they were violating her right to make choices about her own body.

I am pretty impressed by the 80% c/s rate. I heard recently that Houston's overall rate is 50%. You can't even try to claim that's a stat slanted by a lot of high risk women all going to one hospital, because it's the average for all the hospitals in the city. It's just pathetic.

Michelle, Christian , sahm, homeschooling , breastfeeding , no vax, blogging , photographer mom with ADD and Social Anxiety Disorder Mom to 4 boys, 3 girls.
#37 of 40 Old 12-08-2007, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, everyone says our 80% rate is because of high risk moms... well, we DO live in the Deep South and we DO have really high obesity/heart problems/ diabetes in this city... but jeez, going by the model of care I received with my first, those docs will MAKE you high risk.

Sunny coolshine.gif: gun toting, retired breastfeeding, car seat loving, guitar playing, home birthing and schooling mama to Jakob (10.06), Mikah (07.08) and Korah (07.11). uc.jpg 

#38 of 40 Old 12-08-2007, 06:17 PM

I'm kinda scared to see what it is in San Diego with all of our anorexic women who are soo concerned about how their bodies look!

Married to a Navy man of 12 yrs.

03/02: 11/05: 01/08: 10-18-09: 10-31-10 and 7/22/13 with twins and just found out we're pos.gif again!!chicken3.gif

cd.gifslingboy.giffamilybed1.gifwinner.jpg

m/c '97 and in '03

#39 of 40 Old 12-08-2007, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnymw View Post
The Excuse is that it's a level whatever hospital (you know, the highest one) with a NICU and all, so there are soooo many high risk moms there delivering...

Yeah, 80% of the people I know are just SO high risk... uh huh...
They want to classify EVERYONE as "high risk"! They said I was high risk because my BP was a little high. 80 PERCENT rate?!? That would be a great place to have one of those TV "Investigative Report" type thing....

Horrifying! But not surprising. What do they do, give the mom 3 hours to give birth before a C/S? :

Circ doesn't work! Stop the violence of circumcison. Had another UP/UC/HB in August!
#40 of 40 Old 12-08-2007, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sioleabha View Post
Personally, I don't think it's a valid choice any more than I think elective hysterectomy (no medical problems, just didn't want to have a period any more) is a valid choice. Yes, I once met a woman who wanted that, and she was ranting and raving that her doctor and insurance company wouldn't go along with it. She said they were violating her right to make choices about her own body.

I am pretty impressed by the 80% c/s rate. I heard recently that Houston's overall rate is 50%. You can't even try to claim that's a stat slanted by a lot of high risk women all going to one hospital, because it's the average for all the hospitals in the city. It's just pathetic.
Well, I was thinking about people who have been raped or sexually abused in some way, who have big problems with anything vaginal, painful, and out of their control. Or someone who has had a previous C or 2 and might very well be able to birth vaginally and might not, and just plain doesn't want to try because it is a very traumatic idea to them to consider a trial of labor followed by an emergency c-section anyway. A planned, elective c-section lets them take back their birth.

I have a close relative and 2 dear friends who fit that second profile. My relative was not informed, exactly, but she was pretty set on a repeat C, so the risks would have had to be overwhelming for her to change her mind. My two friends are MDC members and very, very educated about birth, and both chose or are choosing to have c-section births.

I stand by my original point - that women should be truly informed as to the risks of a c-section vs a vaginal birth. Some women would still choose a c-section at that point, and some would not.

To bring this back on topic (isn't this the UC forum? ) I support informed elective c-section in the same way that I support unassisted birth. The mother makes the call, not a doctor who demands a repeat section for no real reason, or an uninvolved party who posts on a message board. Elective c-section should remain a legal choice as long as unassisted birth does, and every woman should know the true risks and benefits to her and to her baby of either of those methods of birthing and every way to birth in between.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page