Home test for Amniotic Fluid leak? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-10-2007, 11:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been having this leakage issue for a little while now. At first I was sure it was just standard stress incontinence. But tonight I keep leaking.. even after (RIGHT) after going to the bathroom, even when on the toilet, before or after urinating. It doesn't feel the same as urinating, like it's not coming from the same place?

Also it's not happening just when I cough or sneeze, but even just when I stand up after sitting. EDIT: Also, it's happening when I'm lying in bed. It feels kind of like if I start my period unexpectedly - waking in the middle of the night to a trickle of fluid. Definitely NOT urine, I think, but not sure if it's AF.

I don't know if it's just normal discharge, urine, or AF, but it worries me a little not to know. Does anyone know of a test I can order in the US to find out? I found one on a UK site but no US.

That said, how much of a risk is a slow AF leak, if that's what it is?
#2 of 5 Old 12-11-2007, 12:14 AM

I have had this problem also. Although your sounds a little more leakier than mine. I went and had it tested and first it was AF and then a week later it was not. I am still leaking on and off... I just haven't decided what I am going to do about it other than take it easy. I was told by Mommagreenbean that you could get litmus paper to test for it. If I am remembering correctly, blue is AF and red is urine. She also said something about PH strips... you can look back a couple of pages on this forum under "Little help here". That’s where I was told about it. If this leaking thing keeps up for me, I am going to give it a go. I also have a microscope and some slides, I have thought about smearing some of the fluid on the slide and letting it dry and seeing if it ferns. Thats what the Dr. did last time. Sounds simple enough. Good luck and I hope it all works out for you, I am sure it will.

A wife to A, unschoolen mom to C (7), T (3) & little A (9 months).
Hey Nena, I know you are creepen on me. privateeyes.gif  Get a life. 
#3 of 5 Old 12-11-2007, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter

I wanted to add that I'm about 35.5 weeks pregnant right now. Is this worth worrying about? I am worrying about it. The longer I sit here reading, the more I worry. Should I just put myself on semi-bedrest (full bed rest is out of the question), drink lots of water, and get extra vitamin C?

I'm planning a 4-hour drive on Christmas Eve and another (home) the day after Christmas...

Maybe I'll have DH run to walgreens for the ph strips and see what happens from there...
#4 of 5 Old 12-11-2007, 02:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
pH paper. It should be ~7-7.5 if it's amniotic fluid.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=808288

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#5 of 5 Old 12-11-2007, 04:32 AM

Also have you smelled it? IF you don't have or can't get hold of the ph paper then try smelling it. Urine = ammonia smell AF=saline beachy smell. Worked for me.

I also went five days like that before labor began.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page