When to start worrying - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 102 Old 12-17-2007, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am overdue, really overdue. According to LMP and charting I was due 11/21/07 according to a dating U/S I had I was due on 11/28/07. So I am about to be either 44 or 43 weeks depending who you ask.

The baby is moving fine and my BP is good no swelling ect ect ect. So when should I start to worry? I am always really late but people keep asking me when I am going to have the baby/interviene. I have tried all the natural induction methods but nothing.

What should I do??
#2 of 102 Old 12-17-2007, 01:06 PM

I've read a lady that went to 49 weeks. I'm not saying go that far, but just saying it's possible. I would try all the relaxing and visualization techniques that are mentioned to help things along in addition to any natural induction techniques you are already trying. Lot's of sex and lot's of walking also help from what I hear! Your baby may not be ready. I would continue to check blood pressure and your own body temperature. If you can, keep checking baby's heart beat also.

Married to a Navy man of 12 yrs.

03/02: 11/05: 01/08: 10-18-09: 10-31-10 and 7/22/13 with twins and just found out we're pos.gif again!!chicken3.gif

cd.gifslingboy.giffamilybed1.gifwinner.jpg

m/c '97 and in '03

#3 of 102 Old 12-17-2007, 01:17 PM

Mama ~ how long do your pregnancies usually last? This sounds like it is normal for you.

Greenlee's Forest *intentional jewelry* a secret Journal locket!
Me My Blog Mama to 7 babes & four spirit babies
#4 of 102 Old 12-17-2007, 01:46 PM

Oh well, what is WITH the trolls lately?

Anyway, I think the record is 52 weeks gestation.
#5 of 102 Old 12-17-2007, 01:47 PM

Whoa! That was uncalled for!
#6 of 102 Old 12-17-2007, 02:00 PM

OP, you should totally ignore the troll. She/he is clearly not comfortable with unassisted, and shouldn't be posting on this board.

On topic, I think if you are concerned, then perhaps you should get checked, but if the baby is moving fine, then perhaps you could wait. I'd really listen to what my body is telling me, and go with that.
#7 of 102 Old 12-17-2007, 02:01 PM

:

Brackin, mom to DD (10/02), DS (5/06) and DS (12/09) jumpers.gif
#8 of 102 Old 12-17-2007, 02:04 PM

If baby is moving fine and going post-dates is normal for you, I'd start worrying when I started worrying. Does that make sense? I believe in the power of intuition and if you're having "uh-oh" feelings, you listen to yourself. If not, than let it ride!!

I tend to go post-dates as well, my last was born at approx 43-44 wks. (My middle child was a UC at 42.5 wks)
#9 of 102 Old 12-17-2007, 02:06 PM

OT but useful:

Two great buttons

Ignore
and
#10 of 102 Old 12-17-2007, 02:08 PM

I agree. I wouldn't worry about worrying until you start to worry.
#11 of 102 Old 12-17-2007, 02:10 PM

sometimes emotional blocks can impede labor. can you think of anything that might be bothering you emotionally? i really wouldnt worry unless you feel something is wrong, or you have any physical signs that something is wrong.
any chance your dates are wrong?

wife to my awesome DH, homeschooling, unassisted birthing, food growing, life loving mama to 5 crazy monkeys. :
#12 of 102 Old 12-17-2007, 02:30 PM

Anyway, my post got lost. Have you tried acupuncture?
#13 of 102 Old 12-17-2007, 02:30 PM

The offensive commentary has been removed, y'all can go about your business.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#14 of 102 Old 12-17-2007, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abimommy View Post
The offensive commentary has been removed, y'all can go about your business.

THANK YOU!
#15 of 102 Old 12-17-2007, 03:11 PM

Speaking for myself, I would not let a pregnancy go as far over due as you think you are.
I respect all womans right to choose what happens to her own body, but IMO, when you choose to continue a pregnancy to term, you become responsible for another person life.
Allowing a pregnancy to continue so far past, is not something I would chance.
I personally, could not live with myself if something happened to the baby that could of been prevented with a visit to a midwife or Dr.
If you are asking my opinion? Get yourself to a clinic or a midwife today.
#16 of 102 Old 12-17-2007, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostCrunchyMama View Post
Speaking for myself, I would not let a pregnancy go as far over due as you think you are.
I respect all womans right to choose what happens to her own body, but IMO, when you choose to continue a pregnancy to term, you become responsible for another person life.
Allowing a pregnancy to continue so far past, is not something I would chance.
I personally, could not live with myself if something happened to the baby that could of been prevented with a visit to a midwife or Dr.
If you are asking my opinion? Get yourself to a clinic or a midwife today.
I assume you mean "past" term, not "to" term, although she could definitely only be "term." Almostcrunchy, did you know that the *average* length of gestation goes well into 43 weeks? This mama is not doing anything dangerous or life threatening at all. She is monitoring her pregnancy. When you suggest going to a clinic or midwife, what do you think they should do? Induce her?

As a side note, it doesn't really sound to me like you are supportive of unassisted birth. If you aren't, you really shouldn't post here.

OP -- if I were you I would continue to monitor movement and heartbeat. I didn't catch if you were going UP as well. If you are, is there someone you could contact that you trust if you wanted to? (I mean a midwife you could talk to or someone like that?)

Mama to 3 kids. We live in a yurt!
#17 of 102 Old 12-17-2007, 03:43 PM

Almostcrunchy, if you want more information on postdates pregnancy I'm happy to share some links with you. PM me. Suffice it to say that you're looking at a stillbirth outcome of 0.3% at 43 weeks, as opposed to 0.1% at 40 weeks, and the reasons for these deaths remain as yet unknown. Contrary to popular belief, the placenta does not pack a bag and leave the uterus at 288 days on the dot.

OP, how are you doing emotionally? Do you feel like you're winding up to labour? Is this the desperate cry of "I don't know if I can handle being pregnant any more" just before labour hits, or are you still calm and non-contractiony? What's your instinct telling you? Or do you just need to vent? ALL of this is OK, but I think I'd use emotional signposts to help make the judgement call about whether to ask for help or not.

I went to 43.5 with my first and it was the hardest decision I've ever made to continue declining medical attention. (I walked out of a c-section at 37.5 because it was no longer necessary as he'd turned.) Lots of luck to you.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#18 of 102 Old 12-17-2007, 04:34 PM

I was a 44 wk baby. My son was 42 wks.

Also, are you positive of EDDs? Because for two of my babies, my EDD based on my LMP was off by 4.5 weeks! Meaning I skipped a period before getting pg. So, if I had not had early dating u/s before 10 weeks, I would have thought I was birthing at 44 weeks and 45.5.

But other than possibly having a stress test (if you felt comfortable with that) I would wait it out. So long as baby is doing well.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#19 of 102 Old 12-17-2007, 04:43 PM

Good point Jenny, and one I had forgotten. My brother and I were both 44 week babies (I think I was 43ish but my brother was for sure 44). This was back in the day when they didn't intervene nearly as quickly. I was born at 7 pounds 4 ounces and my brother at 8.4 and both perfectly healthy. Can you imagine what I might have weighed if they had induced my mother at "term" and 40 weeks????
#20 of 102 Old 12-17-2007, 04:53 PM

My sister was a 44 weeker (and that was two failed pit. inductions...my poor mother ). Sounds like this is normal for you. Also, do you know the gender and the "pattern" for that gender in your family? There are studies that say you gestate similar to your mother and her to hers etc. For example, my mom carried us girls longer than the boys. My sister went "overdue" with her DD and I went "overdue" with both my DD's (more with my first). She's pregnant again so we'll see if the trend continues.

As long as you feel ok (mentally as wel as physically) and the baby seems to be doing well (however you determine things whether by movement alone or movement plus heartbeat etc.) I don't see why not.

Also, keep in mind you aren't technically overdue until 42 weeks 1 day.

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
#21 of 102 Old 12-17-2007, 05:30 PM

My sister was a 42 weeker and weighed only 6-15, I was a 41.5 weeker that weighed only 6-8. I am so glad they were not inducing back then!

TO the OP- as long as you are feeling movements and the heartbeat is good, I wouldn't worry just yet.
#22 of 102 Old 12-17-2007, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustineM View Post
Almostcrunchy, did you know that the *average* length of gestation goes well into 43 weeks?
Did you mean to say something different here or did you really mean to say the average length of gestation goes past 43 weeks? I have never heard of such a thing (just think it is important to be giving accurate info to someone if they are asking for advice, etc).
#23 of 102 Old 12-17-2007, 08:13 PM

DH was 6 weeks "late", but there is a good chance he had a lost twin and his mother was measuring large, so they thought she was farther along than she really was. Anyway, go as long as you feel comfortable. The baby will come when he/she is ready.

Mom to DD#1 8/04, nursed 43 months, DD#2 8/06, nursed 21 months and DD#3 9/08, still nursing strong
#24 of 102 Old 12-17-2007, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ixcuina View Post
Did you mean to say something different here or did you really mean to say the average length of gestation goes past 43 weeks? I have never heard of such a thing (just think it is important to be giving accurate info to someone if they are asking for advice, etc).
i was wondering about this too. i read in a Henci Goer's book that everage gestation for first pregnancies is 41 weeks or 41 weeks 3 days (my memory is failing me). i haven't seen any figures for subsequent pregnancies.
#25 of 102 Old 12-17-2007, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ixcuina View Post
I think maybe she meant it goes well into 41 weeks? (41 weeks 3days average length gestation for first time moms)

You aren't really "late" until you get to 42 weeks. Meaning the new fad of inducing baby at 40 weeks with 41 being the absolute latest you are "allowed" to go is not good science.
#26 of 102 Old 12-17-2007, 08:51 PM

Yes, sorry, I mean to say that you aren't late until you get into the 42nd week... I had average gestation on my mind too, so I think I got them mixed up. Thanks -- I agree, it's important to make sure these are true statistics.

Just to add to the anecdotal stories... I was planning a vbac with my DD who is now 18 mo. I had some pressure to induce at 40 wks. She was not born until 42 wks 3 days (according to LMP dating). However, she was only 7 lbs 8 oz. I honestly believe that the dates were off. I think that is one of my big hesitatons with the whole post dates scare thing. I think it's pretty common that dates are incorrect, and then who knows if the baby is ready or not.

Mama to 3 kids. We live in a yurt!
#27 of 102 Old 12-17-2007, 08:57 PM

Thought this article was interesting from the American Academy of Family Physicians.

Quote:
Approximately 5 to 10 percent of all pregnancies continue to at least 42 weeks' gestation.
It seems to me that 42+ is still a variation of 'normal.'

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#28 of 102 Old 12-17-2007, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

I am not really worried. EVERYONE else is. I have a doppler and listen to the baby weekly. I have had a NST and it was perfect. I did not UP, well I had care till 36 weeks. I was induced with 3 of my 4 children for post date 42 week average and my last was an accidental UC at 43+ weeks. I was charting so I am pretty positive of my dates. Emotionally I am OK however I would really like to wait to have her till DH is off for 2 weeks starting on the 21st, so maybe I am subconsiously holding off labor.
#29 of 102 Old 12-17-2007, 09:22 PM

Wanted to add to the smaller babe stories (cause we all know you're hearing "what if the babe gets too big"):

DD1- 7-11 days over (depending on edd...leaning more towards 7) and weighed 6 lbs. 10 ounces
DD2- 2 days over and weighed 6 lbs. 13 ounces.

I'd love to have a bigger babe but at the rate I'm going I'd have to go way way over.

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
#30 of 102 Old 12-17-2007, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Aren't women responsible for their choices regardless of whether or not a pregnancy goes to term, post term, pre term, etc? We are always responsible for the choices we make. We don't become more responsible once a certain week has passed.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page