How to keep towels warm in the oven - Mothering Forums

#1 of 13 Old 01-12-2008, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Does anyone know the best way to warm towels in the oven?
Like what is the best temp?
The last thing I want while I'm laboring is an oven fire!

Thanks Seren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 Mommy to 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kai 2/03, 
Caden 1/08, 
 Kara 10/09, 

Cole 2/3/14 &

Coraline 1/25/17 &
3/13,
11/15,
3/16 ♡ Happily unmarried to 
 Papa since 2002 ♡
~We may not have it all together  but together we have it all~ 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 01-12-2008, 05:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you have a clothes dryer instead? I assume no or you'd not be asking this question...

But honestly they don't have to be warm. Room temp is just fine! I had one birth with warm towels and it wasn't worth the fuss at all.

I guess I didn't answer your actual question, huh?
#3 of 13 Old 01-12-2008, 05:32 PM

I agree they don't need to be warm, but I know when I get out of the bath and the air is cold, a warm towel is welcome and soothing.

we wrapped towels and blankets around heating pads. very easy and nice and no one had to run to the kitchen to get them, or worry over buring the house down.

Carrie, The Birthteacher CCE and Doula, real mom to five; and womb-mom to G. born at 23w by emergency C. 12/09

#4 of 13 Old 01-12-2008, 07:57 PM

You can wrap them in tin foil and put the oven on the lowest setting.

~Kat

treehugger.gif Kat- mama to 6 little trees
#5 of 13 Old 01-12-2008, 08:21 PM

You can also wrap them in an electric blanket.

Midwifery Student and Mama to 2 daughters and 3 sons.     
ribboncesarean.gif vbac.gifhomebirth.jpg I have given birth a variety of ways and I am thankful for what each one has taught me.

#6 of 13 Old 01-12-2008, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkydoula View Post
You can also wrap them in an electric blanket.
But don't put them in the oven.

#7 of 13 Old 01-12-2008, 08:26 PM

We used a heating pad during DD's birth and plan the same with this one.
#8 of 13 Old 01-12-2008, 09:45 PM

at my unplaned U/C (well maybe it was) the ambulance attendant put the towels in the oven and one burnt..
#9 of 13 Old 01-12-2008, 09:47 PM

Heating pad with a pillowcase around it. That way the blankies and towels were all contained and nice and warm....

SAHM to four beautiful babes :
#10 of 13 Old 01-12-2008, 09:48 PM

For my homebirth and my friend's homebirth, with different midwives, we both put a few towels wrapped tightly in a paperbag and put it in the oven on the lowest setting (around 200). We had a few bags prepared in advance. When I got out of the birthtub, the warmed towels were GREAT and I think my dd liked it too.
#11 of 13 Old 01-14-2008, 04:06 PM

I disagree that you don't need warm towels. Having warm towels ready for my first UC would probably have saved us a hospital transport immediately postpartum. My babe was slow to start and the major reason she struggled was because we were having trouble getting her warm enough, which meant she was using valuable resources to maintain body temperature instead of regulating breathing, etc.

If you want them in the oven, either because you don't want to worry about keeping the dryer running, or for some other reason, I believe you just put them folded on a cookie sheet at 200-225 degrees, making sure it isn't touching any of the oven. Some also suggest putting them in a paper baby, but I think that's related to sterilizing them, which I think we all agree is unnecessary.

Laura, mama to J (15), N (12), E (9) , M (6), and our little caboose, R (3).
#12 of 13 Old 01-14-2008, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
if you like warm towels and you don't have a clothes dryer you can put them in a paper bag and fold over- put a pan of water on the bottom shelf and the bag above that set the oven on warm or no more than 200

another way to keep stuff warm is to use a heating pad- and put some under the hot pad and some over the hot pad-

just sitting here in my cold house I want to have a warm towel for comfort

the paper bag keeps the grease off the towels--
#13 of 13 Old 01-14-2008, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Guess what? Dh ended up nuking them!!! lol i never woulda thought of that!

Mommy to 
Kai 2/03, 
Caden 1/08, 
 Kara 10/09, 

Cole 2/3/14 &

Coraline 1/25/17 &
3/13,
11/15,
3/16 ♡ Happily unmarried to 
 Papa since 2002 ♡
~We may not have it all together  but together we have it all~ 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page