Kentucky UCers-Newborn Screening? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-15-2008, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For any one who has had a UC in KY and filed for a birth certificate there, did you have to show any kind of proof that your baby had had the "mandatory" newborn screening?

Apparently there is some dumb law stating that all newborns must get this screening for some rare metabolic disorders. This is something my IM found when researching the Kentucky statues:
Quote:
"Kentucky law requires that all babies undergo newborn screening before leaving the hospital after birth. Babies not born in a hospital or other health care institution must be tested between 24 and 48 hours of age."
The only exclusion listed for this screening is if you're Amish. She couldn't find anything about a religious or moral objection to not getting the screening. So we are wondering how is this actually tracked, who tracks it if it is, are we going to be able to get a birth certificate without it, and is there any way to refuse the screening?

My IPs are not planning to vaccinate or do Well Baby visits so there will be no one on the medical side paying attention to the fact that this child actually exists. They really don't want to take him to a dr's office in the middle of winter when he's only a day or two old to test for some really rare condition.

Any one know how this whole thing works?

~TIA!!

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2008, 09:13 PM

There are religious exemptions for all testing and immunizations, including newborn screening. Here is a good link that even has an exemption form you can use:

KENTUCKY - IMMUNIZATION EXEMPTIONS

I am currently in KY and have never had a problem, however, I did have my last UC in IN, so I have never dealt with the KY requirements. But even with that, I never go to the doctor without an up-to-date and signed copy of my religious exemption form. And I have never had any problems at all with the doctors pushing them or causing me trouble in any way. I just politely tell the Dr. that we don't do immunizations or testing due to religious reasons and they never question it.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:04 PM

KY cannot make you do anything they may pressure you to get a doctor checkup whe you file the birth, but they can't make you take your baby to a doctor.

::
Old 01-17-2008, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
All of the conditions that they screen for these days are not all that rare and if caught early are completely treatable. there are some wonderful threads about the PKU here on MDC, they are definitely worth a read.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:52 PM

Quote:
There are religious exemptions for all testing and immunizations, including newborn screening. Here is a good link that even has an exemption form you can use:

KENTUCKY - IMMUNIZATION EXEMPTIONS
Thanks! I was looking for something like this being that I am military. I am also in KY

Wife to Dh and homeschooling, mother to DD16  DS12  DS9  DS5  DS3. Due with 6th child in March 2014.

Old 01-18-2008, 02:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlemamma View Post
Thanks! I was looking for something like this being that I am military. I am also in KY
Campbell or Knox? I was stationed at Ft Campbell-got out in September.

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

User Tag List