Can a weak pelvic floor increase chance of hemorrhage? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-23-2008, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My husband has asked me this morning whether or not I know if having a weak (very weak) pelvic floor can be a contributer to hemorrhage during or after birth. He is looking forward to our first UC but said this is one of the questions that has been lurking in the back of his mind that he'd like to be mentally prepared for if there is a chance it could happen.

I presently do have a very weak pelvic floor and have been incorporating PFE's into my daily regimen. I'm trying to maintain 3-5 sets a day of 10 long and 10 short (...hmmm, should it be more?), pelvic rocks or tilts, and an inversion a day for a minute or so. I'm hoping this helps in the long run...I'm presently soon to be 27 weeks.

I did experience a hemorrhage with my third (largest) child. My midwife at the time said she thought I'd be prone to hemorrhage because of my pendulus uterus (literally hanging over my pubic bone), although now, I'm not too sure my hemorrhage had to do with that now that I understand how much more susceptible to hemorrhage a woman is when she is dehydrated, scared and stressed...I was all three.

Anyway, this is my husbands question and it makes me wonder too. Would anyone have any info. regarding this? ...or perhaps know of any websites that talk about this?
#2 of 4 Old 01-23-2008, 06:56 PM

Hi there,
Well, I haven't read anything on a possible correlation specifically, but I do know more than your average MD about anatomy and physiology (I'm a medical illustrator). Maybe I'm missing something in my logic here, but I'd say that having a weak pelvic floor would have very little chance of increasing risk of hemorrhage. Reasons for hemorrhage relate to the placenta or the uterus: either there's something retained preventing the uterus from clamping down and shutting off the blood flow or the uterus is too tired out to properly clamp down. I don't see any reason that weak muscles holding the uterus up would affect this process.

I can say from personal experience that I had a significant prolapse after my second birth and my midwife had me lay down with my hips elevated for a few days. I have always been very flexible in my muscle tone and I think this helped create this situation for me, but it also helped create a <1 minute spontaneous ejection reflex with no tearing, so I'm not complaining. Everything has its silver lining, you know?
#3 of 4 Old 01-23-2008, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks HennaLady,

...that seems to make sense to me. I had to really sit and think about it myself as far as the reasons I know for hemorrhaging. I guess I'll do a quick google and see what I can come up with. ...just want to make sure before I share anything with dh!

Thanks again.
#4 of 4 Old 01-24-2008, 06:06 AM

Yeah, I can't really think of anything to do with a weak pelvic floor that would affect PPH. Well, except for the extreme.. that you completely prolapse adn the uterus falls out, lol (okay not really funny, more ouch!)?

Mum to DS (8yrs), DD (6yrs), and DS(3.5yrs). kid.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page