41 weeks, no shadow care? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 56 Old 01-29-2008, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What would you do if you had a complete UP/UC history, baby #4 is at 41 weeks and you are looking at getting induced?

I have a limited selection of Dr.s in my area. Anyone have any experience?

Jenn mama to M(11), A(8), A (5), J (4), K(4mo)

#2 of 56 Old 01-29-2008, 01:50 PM

Hmm. Good question. What natural methods have you tried? Do you think there's anything blocking you mentally? Are you still getting good kick-counts and/or have access to a doppler or fetoscope? Are you positive of your dates?

I think what I would do, if I wanted a medical interference at that point (which, I probably wouldn't unless I sensed something was wrong) is to call up your local hospital of choice and ask them if you can do an NST in the L&D department. They will probably have you come in, and at that point, there would be someone there who would be more than willing to induce you. It might get dicey when explaining to them why you didn't get any prenatal care though, so maybe I'd also ask them BEFORE going in, what they would do in that case... Although I suppose they could always lie with the intention of getting you in there, but I doubt it.
#3 of 56 Old 01-29-2008, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

I tell people about a "lay midwife" if they ask... That is ME...

But I have a good kick count.

And yes I have TONS of reasons to be mentally blocked! During this pregnancy my parents divorced and my house burned down. But I am not an intellectual who over thinks things (You know who you are out there!) And have never been that distracted during birth.

I have called my family (hippie) doctor and she is going to see me. I am going to ask her advice, since she knows the area.

#4 of 56 Old 01-29-2008, 01:57 PM

Wishing you lots of luck!! Please update us when you get the chance.
#5 of 56 Old 01-29-2008, 02:09 PM

Hmm too bad said hippie Dr. can't deliver......

eta I would do an herbal induction. gentlebirth has a midwife's tecnique I have used with success.

Mom of many minions . . . babyf.gif jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif
"And when our baby stirs and struggles to be born it compels humility: what we began is now its own." Margaret Mead 
#6 of 56 Old 01-29-2008, 02:14 PM

I would call doulas or midwifes in the area and ask if they know who the best "natural" friendly doctors are. Doctors that it's easier to get a VBAC with, etc.

In my area I know there are 2 docs that I would possibly go to and I've heard of a 3rd.
#7 of 56 Old 01-29-2008, 02:14 PM

Mama, I wouldn't do a single thing. I mean it, nothing.

Greenlee's Forest *intentional jewelry* a secret Journal locket!
Me My Blog Mama to 7 babes & four spirit babies
#8 of 56 Old 01-29-2008, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama in the forest View Post
Mama, I wouldn't do a single thing. I mean it, nothing.
Same here. Unless I intuitively felt like something was wrong, I would just assume baby isn't ready to come out yet.

Sprat sleepytime.gif, Certified Professional Midwife, loved very much by Sprig reading.gif, the most open-minded, loving, gentle man in the world, and now Sprout fly-by-nursing1.gif walking, talking, how on earth is she this big?! Rainbow.gif on earth.gif begins with homebirth.jpg.

#9 of 56 Old 01-29-2008, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feminine_earth View Post
Same here. Unless I intuitively felt like something was wrong, I would just assume baby isn't ready to come out yet.
Yeah.. you're ONLY 41 weeks, that's not overdue yet.. I'd give it at least one more week if not 2 before even worrying about that yet.

Maybe have lots of sex if that's possible for you at this point Otehrwise, enjoy these last few days of pregnancy.

Mum to DS (8yrs), DD (6yrs), and DS(3.5yrs). kid.gif

#10 of 56 Old 01-29-2008, 02:49 PM

I'd sit tight as long as your kick counts are good and if possible, you could hear a good heartbeat.
Also if you yourself are still doing well.

Try everything you can first from a bumpy car ride, lots of hot sex, hot baths, hot foods to castor oil (if your cervix is ready) etc.

DH and I - totally winging life with our four children, DS1 (6.5yrs), DS2 (5yrs), DD (3yrs) and DS3 (1)!

#11 of 56 Old 01-29-2008, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LConrad View Post
I would call doulas or midwifes in the area and ask if they know who the best "natural" friendly doctors are. Doctors that it's easier to get a VBAC with, etc.

In my area I know there are 2 docs that I would possibly go to and I've heard of a 3rd.
We have no Doulas or MW's. We do not have OB's either (Yeah I live in the middle of no where) There are 2 Dr.s with hospital privileges... One who I have met... and hate and the other is a surgeon who only does C/S. So you can see why I am hesitant! I also have an unnatural fear of CPS.

My choice would be to wait and do nothing... But walking is becoming difficult and I am concerned with the size of the baby... All previous babies were 9 lbs.

#12 of 56 Old 01-29-2008, 03:12 PM

At only 41 wks with a good baby kick count and no issues of my own, I wouldn't do anything but be patient...ok, truthfully I might cry a bit every morning when I woke up still pregnant LOL (did that once...my *only* long pregnancy).

I wouldn't even think about 'helping' things move along until 42 wks, and even then it would be mild/gentle things.

Babies do their fastest growth from about 32-34 weeks until 38wks--1/2 pound or more per week. Then growth slows down; then it slows down again after 40, 'typically'. So, just so you know that you don't have to worry about baby adding much per week, probably just another couple-few ounces from here on out.

And if you had no real issues birthing a 9pounder, then you likely won't have any with birthing a 10 pounder, either!

Happy waiting
#13 of 56 Old 01-29-2008, 03:14 PM

I wouldn't let the size of baby concern you. Babies don't gain that much during the last few weeks of pregnancy, and I've seen mamas who were 42 week mamas have much bigger babies at 40 weeks (wonder if the others would have been that big at 40 weeks?).

I agree that you have a LEAST a week before you need to think about anything, unless you feel in your gut (and not the part of your gut that has been conditioned that pregnancy is dangerous!) that something is wrong. I hope you get some reassurance from you family doc .

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
#14 of 56 Old 01-29-2008, 03:20 PM

It's hard for me to give you the advice you're looking for because I WOULDN'T induce. I've been down that road before - with an OB team and with a lay midwife (two diff pregnancies).

I hated that they all felt the baby had to be on THEIR timeline. What about letting the baby come when he/she is ready?

Is there something intuitively telling you that the baby needs help???
#15 of 56 Old 01-29-2008, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaFranklin View Post
We have no Doulas or MW's. We do not have OB's either (Yeah I live in the middle of no where) There are 2 Dr.s with hospital privileges... One who I have met... and hate and the other is a surgeon who only does C/S. So you can see why I am hesitant! I also have an unnatural fear of CPS.

My choice would be to wait and do nothing... But walking is becoming difficult and I am concerned with the size of the baby... All previous babies were 9 lbs.
given that I would have to agree with everyone else (do NOTHING) ... if you are desperate and really feel something is wrong, but don't feel you need a c/s now, go park at the hospital in a van and take herbs, and monitor the baby yourself.

Size is rarely a problem (from what I've read), it's usually more a combination of drugs mom has been given and position of the baby, usually given more time babies will get in the right position, so talk to your baby ask baby to get in the right position, and tell baby you're tired and really want baby to come soon. When my baby's been poking out funny and hurting me, I just talk to him/her and he/she usually moves relatively quickly.

You can do it!!! Have patients!! (BIG HUGS!)
#16 of 56 Old 01-29-2008, 06:57 PM

I am so sorry you're going through this, and you're stuck with this decision. Is the prodromal labour easing up at all and letting you get any rest, or are we still talking 41 weeks, 3 weeks straight of contracting AND previous big babies?

Hazarding a guess, I don't think the problem is that baby is big. I think the problem is that because baby is bigger, your uterus is fighting to get him into position and this process is proving difficult for some reason. It could be something as simple as a badly flexed head, or a nuchal hand. If I'm right, you're damned whatever you do: a chemical induction may work, but not on a hospital timeline because you're liable to end up with a c-section for FTP, depending on the nature of the malpresentation. Herbs/homoeopathics will probably worsen the prodromal without dilating your cervix. I would read Spinning Babies religiously, wear a support belt for your belly, because at some point those contractions are going to work. Baby will descend, your body will open and you give birth.
You can do this. We're here for you, we'll get you through this. Overthink things if you need to, sleep if you need to, but you are strong and you can carry this baby safely through this pregnancy and on out into the world. You've inspired me so much with your guts and courage on this journey through prodromal hell, don't give up now. The two of you will do this together.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#17 of 56 Old 01-29-2008, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

The prodromal is getting worse... changing position brings sharp abdominal cramping today... rest is only about 45 mins... I do agree that baby is big (Feels like this biggest I have had) and may be in a bad position. I don't feel good/constant pressure on my cervix.

Going to do some belly dancing and lay down now.

#18 of 56 Old 01-29-2008, 07:52 PM

My last baby was 13 pounds even. It was no big deal....truly, no big deal at all. She came out like all my 10, 11, & 12 pounders. Head first and strong as an ox.

Try not to worry about size.

Greenlee's Forest *intentional jewelry* a secret Journal locket!
Me My Blog Mama to 7 babes & four spirit babies
#19 of 56 Old 01-29-2008, 11:58 PM

LIke the PPs, I wouldn't do a single thing re. induction. Wouldn't even consider it... Take care of yourself mama, and esp. try to keep your spirits up. I'm sorry you've had a mentally/emotionally difficult pg... Been there! Ge6t whatever rest you can and spend time talking to your baby. You're a strong mama, and you can do this! We're all here for you. to you and babe!
#20 of 56 Old 01-30-2008, 04:30 AM

I'm rooting for you, Jen! The ladies here have had some great things to say. What do you feel is best- deep inside? Beyond any fears or stubborness in any direction? You have that peaceful strength inside.
#21 of 56 Old 01-30-2008, 11:50 AM

A few posters here on MDC have been telling me about the rebozo technique, or belly lifting: does any of this sound like something that makes sense intuitively to you?
I'm so sorry. I can't believe 3 weeks, a few million regular contractions between us and neither of us are holding newborns You can do this. Stay strong.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#22 of 56 Old 01-30-2008, 03:15 PM

I wouldn't stress out too much. I went to 42 weeks and 4 days, before I decided to do a little castrol oil to help evict DC. My dates were correct and baby was "overdue", but came out healthy. I even lost a couple pounds that last week or so. I know it can be stressful to wait, but hang in there.
#23 of 56 Old 01-31-2008, 01:22 PM

How're you feeling? I'm thinking of you and sending good vibes your way!
#24 of 56 Old 01-31-2008, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feminine_earth View Post

I delivered my beautiful baby dd at 42 weeks, healthy as a clam.

This idea that birth can't be trusted is so out of whack with our physiology, seriously.

Meditate, write down your fears, unblock your psyche, and have an inner dialogue with your baby's spirit.
#25 of 56 Old 01-31-2008, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

I saw our local hippie Dr. She won't be worried until Feb 8th. All blood work looked ok. The only Dr. at the hospital who will touch me with a 8' pole wants me in the ER now! Ug I hate him!

My biggest issue is pain. My back, hips and legs are in constant pain... and have been since Christmas. I am getting to the point where I struggle to walk. Sleep is illusive. Fatigue is prevalent.

I am also trapped by 5-6 feet of snow. So 3 children and I are stuck in 800 sq. feet and going crazy. I am swimming in toys and children's programing.

So we are makeing baked goods... to make the home warm and smell good. Hopefully this will raise my spirits.

#26 of 56 Old 02-01-2008, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaFranklin View Post
The prodromal is getting worse... changing position brings sharp abdominal cramping today... rest is only about 45 mins... I do agree that baby is big (Feels like this biggest I have had) and may be in a bad position. I don't feel good/constant pressure on my cervix.
Going to do some belly dancing and lay down now.
Babies move and flex, and the head plates mold very nicely, and pelvises widen to accomodate the baby's head. Belly dance and rest, bellydance and rest and eat and drink and I am sure as i am sitting here, that your baby will come out on his own, even 10 lbs is not a huge baby. I have helped with 11+ lbers at home. Given your circumstances, all other things being equal I would stay home. And a nuchal hand(hand up by the face) can cause painy contractions and a start/stop labor.
#27 of 56 Old 02-01-2008, 01:05 PM

Homemade cake is the simplest kind of magic there is You can do this. Just make sure to freeze some for your babymoon

#28 of 56 Old 02-01-2008, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

My MIL will be coming next week... to help. I have stuff to make sugar cookies and decorate a cake with DD's #1 and #2. That is their favorite Gramis activity.

I am not concerned about a 10 or 11 lb baby... it is the 13 lbs+ that make me cringe~!

#29 of 56 Old 02-01-2008, 06:26 PM

I'd deal w/ the pain. And have, as my 1st was 41+4 (and I know many who go longer). She was not a UC baby and I declined an induction my midwife wanted to do. Having done a UP, no *way* I'd go in for an induction unless I thought something was wrong. Certainly not for gestation & size.

Laura, CBE and mom to Maddiewaterbirth.jpg ( 06/03/04) & Graceuc.jpg (  09/10/06)

#30 of 56 Old 02-02-2008, 06:43 AM

We live in 800sq ft also. We don't get snowed in, but we do get flooded in, so I know how you feel!

You can birth this baby!

Oh, and I love your blog!

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page