Birth Video on youtube:) - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 48 Old 02-01-2008, 05:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mataji4 View Post
I watched the video before I read the responses. As I watched it, I had a hard time with all of the people- their comments, their noise, their moving about, people actually touching the baby's head and bag as it emerged. As I watched the new mother holding baby, having after-pains with all of those people talking and walking around, I felt protective of her and was thinking "why don't those people get out of there!"

And then I read all the posts! How interesting that nobody seemed to think as I did, but rather thought all those people were supportive, their prescence positive. It just goes to show you that we all want and need such different kinds of supportive environments when we birth. I don't like noise when I birth, and I certainly don't like people touching me or my baby. I would have flipped!
Actually, I was like you when I was in labor. We had a lot of family present at our first birth, but I couldn't stand people talking or being touched at all (not even for the doppler or my vital signs - it almost hurt). My midwife actually commented that I was a "quiet pusher", that most people make a certain amount of noise during birth and I just didn't.

I have read of people using noise in labor, and after actually watching this birth and reading the story I feel like I really understand what that means to people. She used singing and music, yelling and other vocalization, and the verbal encouragement of friends to help manage her labor. It was very different from what I personally would want, but I learned a great deal about what it means to use noise during labor.

On a different subject, I also wouldn't call any of this "screaming". Screaming is high-pitched and usually caused by fear. This was loud, but it still sounded controlled.
#32 of 48 Old 02-01-2008, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tireesix View Post
Ok, that was AWESOME, is it weird I instinctively pushed with you lol????? I am not even pregnant!!!!
I did that too!

It's just good music if you can feel it in your soul. - Tim McGraw
#33 of 48 Old 02-01-2008, 05:56 PM

That was awesome!! I screamed my baby out just like that. Thank you for sharing!
#34 of 48 Old 02-01-2008, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kythe View Post
I couldn't stand people talking or being touched at all (not even for the doppler or my vital signs - it almost hurt).
Thank you for describing that I knew that lots of women were more quiet or private, but I've never quite understood that, either. It's so fascinating to me how much variance there is! I felt instantly calmer and in less pain when someone touched me or made eye contact.

Quote:
I have read of people using noise in labor, and after actually watching this birth and reading the story I feel like I really understand what that means to people...This was loud, but it still sounded controlled.
Thank you for the compliment! I keep being so glad I posted this. I'm learning alot

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawHatBrat View Post
That was awesome!! I screamed my baby out just like that. Thank you for sharing!
"Screamed the baby out!" That's great!

Sarah
aspiring midwife Mama to Declan - 7/14/00 and Bastian - 11/20/07.
#35 of 48 Old 02-01-2008, 09:05 PM

Thank you for this video!!! So often the natural birthing videos feature quiet self contained women. I was loud too, and loved counterpressure and having people around helping me. I showed this to my daughter actually and told her I was like this when she was born and I am probably gonna be like this for our next baby. She said she thought that would be fine, and loved seeing your babe born and you happy and smiling and 'okay.' Since watching she has been pretending she is having a baby and pretending she is a loud mama, then a quiet mama, etc. Your vid has really helped her get what I may be like. Thank you!!!
#36 of 48 Old 02-01-2008, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismama View Post
Thank you for this video!!! So often the natural birthing videos feature quiet self contained women. I was loud too, and loved counterpressure and having people around helping me. I showed this to my daughter actually and told her I was like this when she was born and I am probably gonna be like this for our next baby. She said she thought that would be fine, and loved seeing your babe born and you happy and smiling and 'okay.' Since watching she has been pretending she is having a baby and pretending she is a loud mama, then a quiet mama, etc. Your vid has really helped her get what I may be like. Thank you!!!
Thanks for sharing all of that, especially about your daughter! That's wonderful We watched alot of birth videos with Declan and I remember being worried that they didn't properly communicate how loud I'd likely be. I guess he knows his mama, though I've never been very quiet, period.

Sarah
#37 of 48 Old 02-02-2008, 01:23 PM

I'm still thinking about your videos. I was wondering why you couldn't do hands and knees earlier on? Was it something about wanting the water on your back? I kept thinking back labor... hands and knees! But I didn't catch what was being said when you switched and then switched back.

I also think I would be weird about all those people around. But maybe if I had a tribe of RL friends who were more like that, I wouldn't be.

My daughter came out really, really fast. Probably less than 2 minutes from crowning to feet. DH was like "OMG... isn't she gonna push faster... doesn't she need to get him out sooner!?" I think I spoiled him last time and he has no idea what's average.
#38 of 48 Old 02-02-2008, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by paquerette View Post
I'm still thinking about your videos. I was wondering why you couldn't do hands and knees earlier on? Was it something about wanting the water on your back? I kept thinking back labor... hands and knees! But I didn't catch what was being said when you switched and then switched back.
Keep in mind that the videos were edited WAY down. I was in transition for about 3 hours. I did quite a bit of hands and knees early on, until my knees hurt so badly I needed a break. I agree that I probably should've moved from side lying sooner, but I was being whiny Also, for whatever reason, the way he was position (and maybe his sheer length, stretched out, made any position that scrunched up my torso painful, so stretching out on my side did relieve that pressure. Does that make sense?

Quote:
I also think I would be weird about all those people around. But maybe if I had a tribe of RL friends who were more like that, I wouldn't be.
I'm blessed with a wonderful birth culture! Of course, we're all hippies, pagans, and general rebels. Everyone I know closely breastfeeds, doesn't circ and most homebirth, several UC. It's really wonderful.

Quote:
My daughter came out really, really fast. Probably less than 2 minutes from crowning to feet. DH was like "OMG... isn't she gonna push faster... doesn't she need to get him out sooner!?" I think I spoiled him last time and he has no idea what's average.
It really does vary alot, doesn't it? Morgan (the long-haired mama nursing the toddler) has always been a super fast pusher and said that she was scared, a bit, at how long my pushing took (about 2 hours). She didn't show it, of course, but she's never seen anything like that in real life before

Sarah
#39 of 48 Old 02-03-2008, 05:01 AM

Thank you for sharing your videos and story, they brought tears to my eyes. I'll be giving birth to my second any day now and I hope to do it in a pool too. It was wonderful to see so many people around to love and support you in your hard work. I am a little apprehensive about the pain - after my first I said I wouldn't have any more and here I am again. You blowing through your lips was a good reminder for me to practice that. I feel the need to leave sticky notes around the house to remind me about keeping a loose mouth.
#40 of 48 Old 02-03-2008, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca'smum View Post
Thank you for sharing your videos and story, they brought tears to my eyes. I'll be giving birth to my second any day now and I hope to do it in a pool too. It was wonderful to see so many people around to love and support you in your hard work. I am a little apprehensive about the pain - after my first I said I wouldn't have any more and here I am again. You blowing through your lips was a good reminder for me to practice that. I feel the need to leave sticky notes around the house to remind me about keeping a loose mouth.
Thanks There were sticky notes all over my house, too, with all sorts of positive birth affirmations. I think you can see a few, little yellow squares on the red hallway wall. I had them up for a few weeks before the birth and they were so helpful!

I hope you have beautiful birth!

Sarah
#41 of 48 Old 02-03-2008, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mataji4 View Post
I watched the video before I read the responses. As I watched it, I had a hard time with all of the people- their comments, their noise, their moving about, people actually touching the baby's head and bag as it emerged. As I watched the new mother holding baby, having after-pains with all of those people talking and walking around, I felt protective of her and was thinking "why don't those people get out of there!"

And then I read all the posts! How interesting that nobody seemed to think as I did, but rather thought all those people were supportive, their prescence positive. It just goes to show you that we all want and need such different kinds of supportive environments when we birth. I don't like noise when I birth, and I certainly don't like people touching me or my baby. I would have flipped!
I was inwardly thinking the same thing...all those other hands! But that's one of the beauty's of UCs, momma can get what she wants and needs. What a lovely birth, I saved it to my playlists, thank you for sharing!

Oh, my dd was born in the caul too, and I think this is the first time I'd "seen" another baby born in the caul! Really neat!
#42 of 48 Old 02-03-2008, 09:26 PM

I just had to pop back in and say my son (3.5) watched your video with me and he has been talking about it every since. He even told me he wanted to be a baby again so he could be born (but his description was much more graphic).... And the breastfeeding at the end he saw and keeps telling me he wants to suck on my boobs
#43 of 48 Old 02-05-2008, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khourtniey View Post
my son (3.5) .... the breastfeeding at the end he saw and keeps telling me he wants to suck on my boobs
So let him.

...Or is he NPO? Sorry, didn't see your mention of tube feeds in earlier posts until just now.

OP, beautiful video! Thanks so much for sharing it.
#44 of 48 Old 02-05-2008, 01:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylee18 View Post
So let him.

...Or is he NPO? Sorry, didn't see your mention of tube feeds in earlier posts until just now.
That was my thought! Extenuating circumstances, I guess.

Quote:
OP, beautiful video! Thanks so much for sharing it.
I'm glad everyone's getting something out of it Thanks!

Sarah
#45 of 48 Old 04-11-2008, 01:28 AM

I just came across your birth while searching homebirth on youtube, I had a feeling you might be on mothering. What an amazing birth, great job and beautiful baby.
#46 of 48 Old 04-11-2008, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgal View Post
I just came across your birth while searching homebirth on youtube, I had a feeling you might be on mothering. What an amazing birth, great job and beautiful baby.
Thanks very much!

Sarah
#47 of 48 Old 04-13-2008, 11:23 AM

No surprise that you're on MDC. This birth is my favorite. It reminds me of dd's birth and the one video we come back to watch over & over again this pregnancy! Thanks for sharing
#48 of 48 Old 04-13-2008, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalisage View Post
No surprise that you're on MDC. This birth is my favorite. It reminds me of dd's birth and the one video we come back to watch over & over again this pregnancy! Thanks for sharing
Thank you! I'm so glad people are getting something out of it. That was the goal - pay it forward. Congrats on your new babe and good luck with your birth!

Sarah

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page