#1 of 48 Old 01-30-2008, 03:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here's the birth story, just FYI:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=814185

And here's the video:
www.youtube.com/isarma42

Both are looong They never did let Part 6 load or respond to my email inquiries. I might try again at some point...or not. I hosted the entire thing on google, too and there's a link to Part 6 on youtube.

Sarah

Sarah
aspiring midwife Mama to Declan - 7/14/00 and Bastian - 11/20/07.
#2 of 48 Old 01-30-2008, 04:05 AM

OMG I'm crying.... Thanks for the video...
#3 of 48 Old 01-30-2008, 05:56 AM

Awesome!!! You've got a lot of nice friends to attend a UC!

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#4 of 48 Old 01-30-2008, 07:04 AM

Ok, that was AWESOME, is it weird I instinctively pushed with you lol????? I am not even pregnant!!!!
#5 of 48 Old 01-30-2008, 10:57 AM

Thanks for sharing mama

Mom of many minions . . . babyf.gif jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif
"And when our baby stirs and struggles to be born it compels humility: what we began is now its own." Margaret Mead 
#6 of 48 Old 01-30-2008, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thank you for sharing, those are so beautiful!!

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#7 of 48 Old 01-30-2008, 02:44 PM

Absolutly beautiful! I hope to have a wonderful homebirth as well. Congrats on a bueatiful baby boy!

Elizabeth wife to Matt , mom to Logan (2/21/01) , and little man Desmond (9/23/08)

Mourning the loss of her father: Robert Edward Dillon 5/31/52 - 01/03/2011

#8 of 48 Old 01-30-2008, 02:56 PM

That was a very beautiful birth. You are so fortunate to have supportive friends with the patience and knowledge to keep telling you those positive messages during your contractions. If you hadn't said, I would not have guessed that none of the people there were doulas or midwives. From their comments, they seem very knowledgeable.

I also appreciate the length. Most birth videos show a contraction or two and the birth itself, but you don't grasp the full experience. I felt like I was really with you throughout your labor.

You seemed to relax more as labor progressed. You started out expressing fear and saying you couldn't do it, but your own negativity seemed to diminish over time. I love your descriptions in your birth story of your use of sound and how you managed pain. I learned a lot from your story. Thanks for sharing!
#9 of 48 Old 01-30-2008, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

You've got a lot of nice friends to attend a UC!
Yes! I have awesomely supportive friends I think of the whole thing as my Birth Party

is it weird I instinctively pushed with you lol?????
When I was pregnant, watching birth videos always gave me contractions!

You are so fortunate to have supportive friends with the patience and knowledge to keep telling you those positive messages during your contractions.
I really was I don't think you saw it much in the video, but i had little, yellow post-its all over my house with positive labor affirmations. I had a Blessing Way the month before he was born and we all told birth stories and shared our favorite labor affirmations. Then I put them all over my house! Those were the things they were saying to me.

If you hadn't said, I would not have guessed that none of the people there were doulas or midwives. From their comments, they seem very knowledgeable.
They are definitely very knowledgeable. The short-haired one had a midwife assisted homebirth and the long-haired woman is a UCer. They've been friends of mine for quite a while and we've been there for each other through babies and breastfeeding and I guess you could say we're all really strong advocates for homebirth, UC, breastfeeding, co-sleeping...We've all educated ourselves alot over the years and really learned from each other and our shared experiences. I feel like I have a tribe of women, something most women don't get to experience anymore! It's wonderful.

Sarah
#10 of 48 Old 01-30-2008, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kythe View Post
I also appreciate the length. Most birth videos show a contraction or two and the birth itself, but you don't grasp the full experience. I felt like I was really with you throughout your labor.

You seemed to relax more as labor progressed. You started out expressing fear and saying you couldn't do it, but your own negativity seemed to diminish over time. I love your descriptions in your birth story of your use of sound and how you managed pain. I learned a lot from your story. Thanks for sharing!
Sorry, hit send too quickly. I'm so glad to hear that people like the length. I was really tempted to cut it down, especially since I'm all loud an panicky during transition and I feel like I never see that in natural birth videos, so that gives me the impression no one else is that way? But apparently people are and they have enjoyed seeing it. yay!

Thank you!

Sarah
#11 of 48 Old 01-30-2008, 07:27 PM

How beautiful and inspiring. Thank you so much for sharing! My family just watched it together.
#12 of 48 Old 01-30-2008, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by paquerette View Post
How beautiful and inspiring. Thank you so much for sharing! My family just watched it together.
Aw, thanks! What a great compliment

Sarah
#13 of 48 Old 01-30-2008, 08:31 PM

wow... that was absolutely incredible!!! congratulations!

Keri ~ Wife to dh Mommy to dd 11 whistling.gif ds 9 bouncy.gif  dd 6 1/2 kid.gif 
#14 of 48 Old 01-30-2008, 09:40 PM

what an awesome birth! thank you so much for sharing! I watched it with my 5 year old and 3 year old--it was great for them to see that things don't happen as fast as in other videos we've seen!

Congratulations!

oh, and you sing so well!
#15 of 48 Old 01-30-2008, 10:42 PM

Beautiful!! And Lovely singing ... heh Im still on the first part though
#16 of 48 Old 01-30-2008, 11:41 PM

It did bring back some of the reality of labor. Just out of curiosity, it seemed like you had some major back labor, and I was almost positive the baby was posterior, but low and behold, anterior!!! I know I had back labor with my daughter, but she turned, and then labor became much more manageable for me. Awesome that he was in the caul. It's not often you get to see that so perfectly!!!

Thank you for that!
#17 of 48 Old 01-30-2008, 11:54 PM

Such a beautiful story (and video).

Congratulation!

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#18 of 48 Old 01-31-2008, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by anudi01 View Post
It did bring back some of the reality of labor. Just out of curiosity, it seemed like you had some major back labor, and I was almost positive the baby was posterior, but low and behold, anterior!!! I know I had back labor with my daughter, but she turned, and then labor became much more manageable for me. Awesome that he was in the caul. It's not often you get to see that so perfectly!!!

Thank you for that!
He was definitely posterior. All 3 of my babies have been, but they're turned before they crowned. My best guess, at the end of Part 5, I have one hell of a contraction and make some crazy noises. That period of time during the birth was especially painful, but after it passed, the quality of the pain had changed and I did have more *breaks* and the pushing began to go alot faster. I'm pretty sure that's when he was turning.

Thanks so much for the compliments on my singing I love singing, but I've never done it in labor before! I guess it's hard to feel inspired to sing in a hospital:/

Sarah
#19 of 48 Old 01-31-2008, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodymaximus View Post
what an awesome birth! thank you so much for sharing! I watched it with my 5 year old and 3 year old--it was great for them to see that things don't happen as fast as in other videos we've seen!

Congratulations!

oh, and you sing so well!
Aww, I hope they liked it We watched alot of birth videos with Declan to prepare him and I was definitely worried he was not fully prepared for the length of time of the noise level! I guess all the talking helped, too, because he did great

Sarah
#20 of 48 Old 01-31-2008, 10:05 AM

There are so many things to love about that! I totally love how you didn't hold back. I told DH about you screaming f* me! a few times and he thought that was great. I love how you screamed ouch through contractions. I love that everyone was comfy enough that a few of you were nekkid. I love how he was born so in the caul! That's awesome. Most of the time you see it burts as the head comes out. he's one lucky babe! Oh, I cannot express how much I love those videos. I think it's so awesome to see your DH in there the whole time. Everyone was so calm, like hanging out for a movie. So cool!

My uc babe was the same with the napping right after. And I said the exact same thing about no more babies. Yet your videos make me want another (and mine is not even 6 months yet! ) Mine was slow to want to nurse too. She had other things in mind...like napping.

Did your pernieum area hurt? I found myself pushing along with you (and holding my breath ) and there were a few times I wanted to just apply some pressure for you! (not to myself...man that makes it sound like I'm playing with myself It looked like such a tight pull through that area! I wish i had had such long pauses between pushes. I just pushed for 2 minutes straight to get the head out and then whoosh! out she flew. It would have been nice to get that break.

Wow. Thanks for sharing.

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
#21 of 48 Old 01-31-2008, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherMother'n'Madre View Post
There are so many things to love about that! I totally love how you didn't hold back. I told DH about you screaming f* me! a few times and he thought that was great. I love how you screamed ouch through contractions.
I love compliments about this, because I've always been so self-conscious about it. All the UC or even natural birthing videos I've seen everyone's so relaxed and calm. I just never have been. I think I'm coming to feel more at peace with how I birth. As Morgan (the woman with long, dark hair nursing the toddler) said, "You've never been a zen and candles lady, anyway." So I guess it makes sense that I wouldn't birth that way

Quote:
I love that everyone was comfy enough that a few of you were nekkid. I love how he was born so in the caul! That's awesome. Most of the time you see it burts as the head comes out. he's one lucky babe! Oh, I cannot express how much I love those videos. I think it's so awesome to see your DH in there the whole time. Everyone was so calm, like hanging out for a movie. So cool!
I love the comfiness of it all. Those are some of my favorite parts of the video. When the camera pans around the room or hell, when the dryer goes off. It's a lovely reminder how normal birth is. The caul was an awesome surprise! I definitely had an instinct about his hand being up there and I've always had back labor, so that was no shock. The caul I read about several times while pregnant with him (I'd never heard of that happening before) and was fascinated, but certainly didn't think it would happen to him! Yes, Brian, my DH, was awesome! Once again, glad I have the video, because I couldn't see him alot. I knew he was there and he did things I trusted only him to do, like pressing my back or protecting my perenium, but that meant he was always behind me. It was nice to see what he was doing and read his facial expressions

Quote:
My uc babe was the same with the napping right after. And I said the exact same thing about no more babies. Yet your videos make me want another (and mine is not even 6 months yet! ) Mine was slow to want to nurse too. She had other things in mind...like napping.
Awww, they worked hard, huh? He nursed really well when he did nurse. I think he was on me for over an hour and we switched sides 4 times! I've never said I don't want anymore babies. I think I might mean it! Really though, Bastian was my 6th pregnancy. So even though Bri and I only have two kids, I'm not sure I want to put my body through anymore. And it's not just that I feel done...I feel complete. It feels like everyone is here

Quote:
Did your pernieum area hurt? I found myself pushing along with you (and holding my breath ) and there were a few times I wanted to just apply some pressure for you! (not to myself...man that makes it sound like I'm playing with myself It looked like such a tight pull through that area!
Oh. my. god. It hurt. I tore not just there, but also had a strange abrasion/skin stretching thing, like the top layer had split higher up that I didn't find until later. He was quite a big baby and, especially with that hand... Still, I healed up really nicely. I kept my knees together, didn't sit flat, stayed DOWN for about 10 days and used some seaweed and comfrey.

Quote:
I wish i had had such long pauses between pushes. I just pushed for 2 minutes straight to get the head out and then whoosh! out she flew. It would have been nice to get that break.
I've never been a fast pusher. I pushed for about an hour and a half with Declan, my older son. With Bastian, I started doing little pushes more than 2 hours before he was born. I didn't know this until I watched the video, but I knew it felt like a LONG time. As much as it sucks at the time, I think it's probably good for us. I think if he'd just shot out, I would've torn much worse. The slow pushing allowed me to stretch as he moved down.

Quote:
Wow. Thanks for sharing.
Sure! Thanks for the great comment

Sarah
#22 of 48 Old 01-31-2008, 06:41 PM

I watched the video before I read the responses. As I watched it, I had a hard time with all of the people- their comments, their noise, their moving about, people actually touching the baby's head and bag as it emerged. As I watched the new mother holding baby, having after-pains with all of those people talking and walking around, I felt protective of her and was thinking "why don't those people get out of there!"

And then I read all the posts! How interesting that nobody seemed to think as I did, but rather thought all those people were supportive, their prescence positive. It just goes to show you that we all want and need such different kinds of supportive environments when we birth. I don't like noise when I birth, and I certainly don't like people touching me or my baby. I would have flipped!

Thank you for sharing the video with us. Congratulations on your sweet baby!

JENNY, 38~ preschool teacher, birth activist, sun worshiper, singer, married for 17 years and mom to

Karan 15, Fiona 12, Bodhi 10, Bjorn 6, Devon 3, and Robin Taylor born January 16th!

#23 of 48 Old 01-31-2008, 10:06 PM

Thanks for the video.

I also like how comfortable you and your DH seemed to be naked. I like that it seemed like nice get together.

But OooMG did I want to scream. Ohh that hand!
#24 of 48 Old 01-31-2008, 10:30 PM

I just watched them again My DS had a nuchal hand and when I was pushing I remember thinking that it didn't feel right. Felt almost "square" compared to "round" with my DD. Once he was born it made sense. It's so rare to see a birth video so long and complete and detailed!

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#25 of 48 Old 01-31-2008, 10:34 PM

Yes thanks for sharing your video with us all It really is lovely!!!

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

#26 of 48 Old 02-01-2008, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mataji4 View Post
I watched the video before I read the responses. As I watched it, I had a hard time with all of the people- their comments, their noise, their moving about, people actually touching the baby's head and bag as it emerged. As I watched the new mother holding baby, having after-pains with all of those people talking and walking around, I felt protective of her and was thinking "why don't those people get out of there!"

And then I read all the posts! How interesting that nobody seemed to think as I did, but rather thought all those people were supportive, their prescence positive. It just goes to show you that we all want and need such different kinds of supportive environments when we birth. I don't like noise when I birth, and I certainly don't like people touching me or my baby. I would have flipped!
Actually, I was thinking the same thing. I know everyones experience and desires are different, that is why I did not mention it. I told my husband as I watched that if someone were continually talking to me through contractions like that I would scream at them to shut up! But, that is just me. I remember my first birth, and my Mom verbally "supported me" and all I could think of was "please go away!" But I was too intimidated to say anything.

I have to have quiet and be left alone.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#27 of 48 Old 02-01-2008, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mataji4 View Post

Thank you for sharing the video with us. Congratulations on your sweet baby!
Wow, no, not invasive at all I definitely wanted all of them there and I was very specific about what was an was not okay with me beforehand. I wrote a plan that everyone had to agree to in order to attend and it was absolutely respected. I've always dreamed of birthing in the midst of loved ones. Also, I don't like quiet much and thrive on noise and chaos and busyness. It was just right for me.

Thank you for commenting. That's a really interesting perspective for me to hear.

Sarah
#28 of 48 Old 02-01-2008, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybunch2k8 View Post
Thanks for the video.

I also like how comfortable you and your DH seemed to be naked. I like that it seemed like nice get together.

But OooMG did I want to scream. Ohh that hand!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaRabbit View Post
I just watched them again My DS had a nuchal hand and when I was pushing I remember thinking that it didn't feel right. Felt almost "square" compared to "round" with my DD. Once he was born it made sense. It's so rare to see a birth video so long and complete and detailed!
Yes, definitely the hand! Ouch. That's still the hardest part of the video for me to watch. I didn't watch it at all until I was entirely healed and had already had good sex a time or two! I think if I'd watched it beforehand I would've been pretty panicky anticipating it.

I love that it had the quality of my friends just hanging out together, like we've done so many times. Normal. Birth is normal. Awesome, but normal

Sarah
#29 of 48 Old 02-01-2008, 12:27 AM

Oh, I am so crying. Good tears!!

I just now got a chance to watch these videos...and now I will say that this is definitely one of my favorites (ok, it is totally my favorite, but I don't want the rest of my favorites to feel bad )!!! The part where his head is just there, and he is still sleeping because he is still in the caul and doesn't realize he's being born yet...omg, I cried! That is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen! Ever!! Ever, ever!! <3 <3 <3

Thank you SO MUCH for sharing such an incredible story with us. Your videos are so real and true and powerful. Just amazing, truly.

I know you birthed Bastian back in November, but so many congratulations to you, Mama. You and Bastian are just beautiful!!

Sprat sleepytime.gif, Certified Professional Midwife, loved very much by Sprig reading.gif, the most open-minded, loving, gentle man in the world, and now Sprout fly-by-nursing1.gif walking, talking, how on earth is she this big?! Rainbow.gif on earth.gif begins with homebirth.jpg.

#30 of 48 Old 02-01-2008, 12:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by feminine_earth View Post
Oh, I am so crying. Good tears!!

I just now got a chance to watch these videos...and now I will say that this is definitely one of my favorites (ok, it is totally my favorite, but I don't want the rest of my favorites to feel bad )!!! The part where his head is just there, and he is still sleeping because he is still in the caul and doesn't realize he's being born yet...omg, I cried! That is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen! Ever!! Ever, ever!! <3 <3 <3

Thank you SO MUCH for sharing such an incredible story with us. Your videos are so real and true and powerful. Just amazing, truly.

I know you birthed Bastian back in November, but so many congratulations to you, Mama. You and Bastian are just beautiful!!
Thank you!

Comments like yours make me so happy I didn't edit it down much more. I really thought about it and felt really embarrassed about how loud and out of control I was. I'm so pleased that other people are identifying with my experience and getting something out of it

I love the part where his head is just waiting, yes, because he doesn't know. A friend of mine said she loved seeing him resting there between the worlds, which is sorta what that is like. It made me tear up. Even the song...I had 159 birth songs and we just played it on shuffle. "Let It Be" playing - to get really personal, my father died in December. He and I weren't close and had a very complicated relationship, but in December, when he was ill, I'd sing "Let It Be" and think about death and birth and how it all connects. I don't know if I will ever be able to hear that song without crying.

Sarah

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page