Good birth prep videos for young children? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-30-2008, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Preferably ones that won't cause me to vomit because of doctors or midwives bossing around/touching/interfering, etc. I remember the Laura Shanley one but some of the others I watched were too upsetting for me. If I'm stuck I suppose I can get dh to watch them with the children...probably will anyway. Thanks!
#2 of 8 Old 01-30-2008, 11:40 PM

Gentle Birth Choices is OK. You can watch just the births and ignore the talking. They do do suctioning and it's mostly waterbirths at a birth center, but it was great for my almost 4yr old.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#3 of 8 Old 01-31-2008, 01:51 AM

I have one called Birth Joy, I think, from a lending library. My kids love it (they're 6 1/2 and 5), and I can't think off the top of my head of any bossiness, or any midwives, for that matter, but we'll watch it again tomorrow to be sure. There is a lot about red raspberry leaf tea in it... not sure why...

Kristi

Wife to 1 since 2000

Mom to 6 hippie.gif('01), jammin.gif ('02), superhero.gif('07), bouncy.gif ('09), energy.gif ('09), diaper.gif ('10)

homeschool.gif

#4 of 8 Old 01-31-2008, 01:56 AM

I've been searching YouTube for unassisted and homebirth video clips. After I watch them, then I usually will watch them at a time when DD will be around the computer. Usually she wants to watch with me!
#5 of 8 Old 01-31-2008, 02:55 AM

My favorites for kids and adults are pretty much the same:

Birth Day, Birth into Being, and Birth in the Squatting Position

All three are gentle and have minimal, (if any) midwife involvement. Birth into Being is a little sexy, so you may want to screen it first to see how you feel about that. I used to let my daughter watch it when she was 3. There is beautiful footage of families together during birth, women birthing in the ocean, and kids swimming with dolphins.
#6 of 8 Old 01-31-2008, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Cool, thanks for the suggestions! I have seen Birth Into Being before and it was beautiful. Not nearly as loud or dramatic sounding as my births but great. I think I saw Gentle Birth Choices and it freaked me out--there was this OB who was all over the babies suctioning, etc., cutting cords before the shoulders came out, etc. and I'm really sensitive to that sort of stuff. I'll ask dh to check out Birth Day, Birth Joy and Birth in the Squatting Position, also maybe Psalm and Zoya (haven't seen that yet)...the more I think about it, the less I want to be the one to watch any of these videos right now. I'll tell him about youtube but I'm betting he won't check it out, although I'm sure there are some great ones on there.

Thanks again for the suggestions!
#7 of 8 Old 01-31-2008, 12:07 PM

Oh, definitely Birth Day My little ones loved it....my oldest kept asking for "tub movie." No interventions---just gorgeous, gorgeous. The Andaluz video is really nice, too.

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#8 of 8 Old 01-31-2008, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia View Post
Oh, definitely Birth Day My little ones loved it....my oldest kept asking for "tub movie." No interventions---just gorgeous, gorgeous. The Andaluz video is really nice, too.
Thanks! Will try this as well!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page