Unassisted home waterbirth of Jack. 2-14-08 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-19-2008, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't feel like this written birth story even begins to capture the emotions of the day but here it is anyway....

Contractions started a little after midnight on 2/14/08 and they were about 10 minutes apart. They were more painful than any that I had had up to that point so I thought it might be real labor but wasn’t sure so I did some studying for political science exam and took notes until 1:30am since I had an exam due that day and wanted to be prepared to take it if I wasn’t really in labor..

I was still contracting at 2:00am at about 8-10 mins apart. I tried to sleep through them and I did get a little sleep but they were mostly too painful to sleep through so I got no solid sleep.

At 5am I went to bathroom and had bloody show. I was thinking to myself it was time to wake Michael up but just then he walked in on me since his alarm had went off and he had noticed the bathroom light on. So I told him I had been contracting since midnight and thought it was real this time.

We timed some contractions together and they were about 6 mins apart so at 6am we decided to start filling the birth pool. Then Kimmy and Maya woke up for the day. They saw the pool and I told them I was pretty sure I was going to have Jack that day. Maya didn’t understand and Kimmy was still a little nervous so neither of them got too excited. Kimmy decided to still go to school even though I told her she might miss the birth. She wanted to exchange Valentine’s with her friends and go on a special field trip.

At 8am Michael and Maya drove with me to drop Kimmy off at school. My contractions were about 5 mins apart then and I remember when we got to the school I had a contraction in the parking lot and then hurried up and dropped her off and paid for her lunch before 5 mins went by so that I wouldn’t be contracting in public and making people fuss over me.

At around 9am we were still filling up the pool and just talking. My contractions weren’t getting any closer together or any more intense. They stayed at a steady 4-5 mins apart. I was thinking I’d probably give birth by 4-5pm.

Around 10am my mom sent me an online message asking me to run an errand for her. I didn’t want to tell her in labor in case it was a false alarm like last week, and I didn’t want to sit around at home with my labor stalled so I told her I would. I figured if I stayed active it would help labor along. So I took Maya and went and ran mom’s errand and got some valentine’s day cards and gifts and then went back home.

Around 11:30am I got back home and took Michael and Maya with me to Sonic because I was craving a slushie and I also had a feeling I was going to need some strength for labor and wouldn’t be getting time for another meal for awhile. So we got some food and slushies. We went back home and ate.

Around 12:30pm I was chatting with a friend on IM telling her I thought I was probably in labor and hoping he would come out today.

At around 1:00pm my contractions were still about 4-5 mins apart but the pool was ready so I tried it out with Mike and Maya. It felt great through all of the pain. I was feeling a lot of pain in my back so I assumed baby was in a bad position which was stalling labor so I got out the Labor Progress Handbook and read about stalled labor and decided to do some exercises in an attempt to get him to turn. I did some lunges and squats and some kneeling over the birth ball and a couple contractions later I noticed my belly had shifted and the contractions all of a sudden were much more intense, longer, and closer together.

From 1pm-2pm I was talking to Michael about who would pick up Kimmy from school since she got out at 2:30pm. I kept going back and forth saying I would drive and then having a contraction and feeling like there was no way I could and he didn’t want to leave because he didn’t want to miss the birth so we talked about calling my mom to pick her up.

At around 2:00pm I figured I had about another 2-4 hrs of labor to go based on all of my progress and how the contractions were feeling. I had started to get grumpy and wanting all of Mike’s attention on me instead of on keeping Maya in line. So I had a few more contractions and then called my mom and told her to please pick up Kimmy at 2:30 and pick up Maya within an hour because I was in labor and it was really starting to hurt. The phone cut out but I figured she got the gist of what I was saying so I went back to have more contractions in the pool since the pool was providing major pain relief. I had a really excruciating one and then got out of the pool to call her again to make sure she was coming to get Maya soon. She said she was right around the corner.

My mom showed up around 2:20 pm and I told her I wanted a private atmosphere with Mike and that it would help if she took Maya and picked up Kimmy and let us finish laboring. I told her I figured I had a few more hours to go but things were getting too painful and I needed all of Mike’s attention. I had a really bad contraction while my mom was getting Maya dressed and ready. When the contraction was over I got up and grabbed extra clothes for Maya and was helping my mom get her ready to go and my mom asked Mike to go get the car seat and put it in her car. I told my mom that Mike could go do the car seat after my next contraction and that I needed him right now since I knew another one was coming. So Mike came back into the pool to help me and my mom held Maya.

Around 2:30 I had a couple back to back intense contractions that made me scream and I cussed a few times. At that point the only relief I was getting was from the water so I resolved to stay in the pool and not get out anymore. I felt a shift in my pelvic area, like my bones had shifted. Mike was in the pool with me and I told him I thought I had felt a shift and that things were really painful now. He helped me remove my underwear, then I had another really bad contraction and I screamed and the head was out. I told everyone that the head was out and that the body had to be born with the next contraction. I felt his head and it was still in the sac so I instinctively ripped the sac, and felt a gush of water, then I waited for the next contraction and gave a push and out he came. I said “He’s out!” with relief….at around 2:42 pm…..based on the camera’s date/time stamp.

We stayed in the pool and snuggled and loved and over him for about 30-40 mins. As soon as I got out of the pool the placenta came out. We cleaned it all and put it in a bowl. We were planning a Lotus Birth with Jack and had no plans of cutting the cord. We ended up cutting it when he turned 2 days old since it got stiff and wirey and it was actually irritating him when he’d kick or pull at it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2008, 05:50 PM

Beautiful job, mama! Enjoy your babymoon!
Old 02-19-2008, 05:52 PM

WOW, that's awesome! Congrats & welcome, Jack!

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
Old 02-19-2008, 05:59 PM

Congratulations you are awesome!
Old 02-19-2008, 06:13 PM

Congrats! So did your mom actually see the birth with the girls - or was she gone by that point? Was anyone else there? Did your friend make it?

How are the girls doing with their new little brother?

You did a great job keeping busy - crazy woman wanting to drive 20 min before the baby crowns! lol
Old 02-19-2008, 06:19 PM

wow- awesome! I can't get over how busy you were getting everyone in line AND contracting at the same time!!!!!!
You must do very well under pressure.

Congrats!

Mama to 5 babies. UCer, too!
Old 02-19-2008, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinsJuneBug View Post
Congrats! So did your mom actually see the birth with the girls - or was she gone by that point? Was anyone else there? Did your friend make it?

How are the girls doing with their new little brother?

You did a great job keeping busy - crazy woman wanting to drive 20 min before the baby crowns! lol
My older daughter was getting picked up from school by my sister when he was born and my mom never made it out the door with my toddler because everything happened so fast so my toddler and my mom and my partner and I were there for the actual birth. Then my sister and my older daughter walked in about 5-10 minutes later.

The girls are totally in love with their brother. Here are a couple pics.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y12...mykissjack.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y12...cy/jackhat.jpg
Old 02-19-2008, 07:58 PM

Congratulations! (That's an impressive turn around time on writing the story, glad you're feeling up for it!)
Old 02-19-2008, 09:40 PM

Yay! Congratulations!
Old 02-19-2008, 09:59 PM

CONGRATULATIONS!! He's adorable! Welcome to the outside baby Jack!

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
Old 02-20-2008, 02:43 AM

congrats mama!!

Mom of many minions . . . babyf.gif jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif
"And when our baby stirs and struggles to be born it compels humility: what we began is now its own." Margaret Mead 
Old 02-20-2008, 02:56 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Wow! That's a great story and wonderful pics too!
Thank you for sharing w/all of us!! and Congrats!
Welcome Sweet boy Jack!!
Cheers,
Chelsie

Former Nanny Extraordinaire, looking forward to being a Mama! treehugger.gif I love Organizing & being a Health & Wellness Coach eat.gif & I'm crunchy granola as long as it's organic and certified gluten free. GF since March '08 yummy.gif. Willoughby Nov '11  cat.gif TTC #1-still, again, some more, & seriously pondering adoption. 

User Tag List