Does CPS require doctor visits postpartum? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 03-19-2008, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had an unassisted childbirth with my first child about 1.5 months ago, and everything went perfectly. I just turned 20 and I have a healthy baby boy, and he seems to be doing everything normally. I am still a big fan of staying away from institutions unless medically necessary, but I am being bitched at, yet again, about not taking him to a doctor. Not by my husband, but by friends and family. The thing is, all the people that are complaining did the same thing about my unassisted childbirth before I had him. Of course, since everything went well, now everyone is proud of me for what I did (ironic how feelings change before and after), but people are telling me I could get charged with child endangerment if I don't take him to get a check-up. I'm guessing this means blood-work and prodding, and I don't want to do all that unless I have to. I will take him to a doctor when I see a problem arise in him, but i don't want to before that. My question is: Can CPS get me into legal trouble for not taking my child to the doctor? I know that there are mothers that have never taken their kids to the doctor, and I would love to hear their opinions! Thanks!
#2 of 12 Old 03-19-2008, 03:19 PM

CPS is not a law enforcement unit. They can't *require* anything.

-Angela
#3 of 12 Old 03-19-2008, 05:02 PM

Dd is 19m and has never been to the doctor (and ds hasn't been since he was 24m). Although we did have the bc's (that we were getting prenatal care before we decided to UC) baby nurse come over about 12 hours after the birth, and then she came back again two days later. She did do the heel thing (NEVER again am I putting my kids through that!), but we never called to get the results. At any rate, I had no problem getting her birth certificate through the state (OR) without any doctor's notes or anything. If it were me, I would FIRMLY tell my friends that CPS would have NO need to take my child and that if ANYONE even peeped to CPS about my care of my child (since I feed, clothe, and love-on my child), that would be the LAST time that person(s) EVER saw our family. Can you tell I've had to deal with off-hand threats before? : Anyways, if you are still concerned, you could always call CPS for your state annonymously and ask "what would happen if a mom didn't take her baby in for well-child check-ups?". They'd probably say "as long as the child wasn't in danger and was healthy, nothing".

Husband and Wife 4/03, Ds1 9/03, Dd1 8/06, Ds2 12/08, Dd2 due 1/11...bfing, co-sleeping, cding, ecing, bwing, ucing, no-more vaxing, no-more circ'ing, hsing, conservative Christian family.
#4 of 12 Old 03-19-2008, 05:15 PM

You have to check the laws in your state. There is a mother on another board who almost had her EBF infant removed because she had not taken him for a check up. In her state, CPS does not need a court order to remove a child from the home.
It really, really freaked me out, hearing that.

---feeling like an emu on acid---
#5 of 12 Old 03-19-2008, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thixle View Post
You have to check the laws in your state. There is a mother on another board who almost had her EBF infant removed because she had not taken him for a check up. In her state, CPS does not need a court order to remove a child from the home.
It really, really freaked me out, hearing that.
I believe you're referring to the mom whose baby was removed (temporarily) by court order for a PKU expanded screen. Edited to add: It was Nebraska. Check on your state's law with regard to this. In most states, there is a waiver available. In that state, the screen is mandatory with no possible parental waiver in the law. A court order was still needed. CPS always needs a court order or warrant for searches and seizures in the U.S., just like any other government body.

CPS may try to tell you otherwise in order to get you to let them in, since once you let them in, they are legally permitted in; but if you don't let them, they are not allowed except for exigent circumstances (gunshots, screaming as evidence of beating, or other strong reason to believe the child is in immediate and dire danger).

Anyway, that case had nothing to do with "child endangerment" because of not seeing a physician, and everything to do with the one mandated test. FWIW, I think the test is worth doing anyway, and most of us UC moms do have it done, with measures taken to reduce the trauma of a blood draw - it doesn't even have to be a heel stick. I'll probably pop back in later with a link to more on that.
#6 of 12 Old 03-19-2008, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylee18 View Post
FWIW, I think the test is worth doing anyway, and most of us UC moms do have it done, with measures taken to reduce the trauma of a blood draw - it doesn't even have to be a heel stick. I'll probably pop back in later with a link to more on that.
I'll definitely be waiting for that! Watching dd scream in agony for 20 minutes while the nurse tried to milk her foot made me about want to die...or punch her.

Husband and Wife 4/03, Ds1 9/03, Dd1 8/06, Ds2 12/08, Dd2 due 1/11...bfing, co-sleeping, cding, ecing, bwing, ucing, no-more vaxing, no-more circ'ing, hsing, conservative Christian family.
#7 of 12 Old 03-19-2008, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylee18 View Post
it doesn't even have to be a heel stick. I'll probably pop back in later with a link to more on that.
I'd def like to see more info on that, as the PKU is the one test we do have done.
#8 of 12 Old 03-19-2008, 09:11 PM

Here's one quick reference: PEDIATRICS Vol. 101 No. 5 May 1998, pp. 882-886

...more to follow...
#9 of 12 Old 03-19-2008, 10:48 PM

i had to do the PKU, i live in Nebraska. I nursed DD through it. She only grunted a bit. At first the nurse said "you cant do that" so i said find someone who will, or i'm leaving.

wife to my awesome DH, homeschooling, unassisted birthing, food growing, life loving mama to 5 crazy monkeys. :
#10 of 12 Old 03-20-2008, 02:19 AM

I had the PKU done on both my UC babies. It was no big deal at all. Get the heel really hot for about 20 minutes before hand. Milking is far more painful than just doing a second stick. Day three or four is a reasonable time to do it, just because by then, your babe has gotten a fair amount of breastmilk, but the full amount of vit K isn't there yet, so the blood doesn't clot so quickly.

CPS doesn't "require" dr visits, but if you let them in, you will likely have a difficult time getting a case closed without a letter from a dr or other HCP stating that your child has been seen and is healthy. Know your rights, and stand up for them.

Laura, mama to J (15), N (12), E (9) , M (6), and our little caboose, R (3).
#11 of 12 Old 03-20-2008, 02:56 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Honestly, it's none of anyone's buisness. I would either not bring it up or tell them so. If I had any inkling that someone would call CPS on me for something like that I would have no problem lying to them.
#12 of 12 Old 03-21-2008, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormborn View Post
Honestly, it's none of anyone's buisness. I would either not bring it up or tell them so. If I had any inkling that someone would call CPS on me for something like that I would have no problem lying to them.
Absolutely right! And if you think anyone's serious about calling, get a lawyer just in case. I'd also suggest keeping quiet about your child's medical-related stuff... That's what we do and it works. If they (unsupportive people) ask if we vax, do WBVs, etc, the answer is always, "He's healthy and up-to-date on everything." Which for us, is true, since we don't do either! But to them, it means he has all his shots and sees the doc every whatever it is now... take care and keep loving your son.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page