stitches for tear or just let it be? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 03-20-2008, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I didn't think I tore, but actually upon taking a look, I think I do have a tear from my DD's birth Wednesday morning. I wonder if there is any danger in letting it just heal up naturally? I don't really want to go into a doctor for this, maybe I could ask my friend for the number of her midwife to see if she would just stop by to take a look and give me a couple stitches if I need them...though I would rather not even bother with that either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 03-20-2008, 08:55 PM

I chose not to have my tear stitched. No regrets.

-Angela
#3 of 11 Old 03-20-2008, 10:17 PM

I had a slight tear from DD. I just let it heal naturally. It hasn't given me any problems. I was a bit nervous about postpartum intercourse but it was fine.

Mama to DS (3/7/06)om.gif, DSD  hearts.gif(11/17/02), DD (1/16/08 )energy.gif ,  DS2 (5/30/10) sleepytime.gif and Baby Quinn angel.gif (R.I.P 3/22/13)

#4 of 11 Old 03-21-2008, 01:53 AM

If it's a first degree tear, then the only risk is cosmetic -- will you be happy with how it heals if it heals as two flaps, for example? But if it's into the muscle, yes, it does need to be sutured. though, at this point, I'm not sure about suturing since the general rule of thumb is that it needs to be done within 6 hours.

mama to Max (2/02) and Sophie (10/06); wife to my fabulous girl
#5 of 11 Old 03-21-2008, 06:37 AM

I tore quite badly wtih my daughter and I let it heal naturally. There's a reason the tissue is soft and gets lots of blood flow there, eh? I laid down for at least a week and kept my legs together and did not sit up a for the first 5 days in order to keep the pressure off the healing tissues. It's been 2 years now and i've not noticed any problems.

Mum to DS (8yrs), DD (6yrs), and DS(3.5yrs). kid.gif

#6 of 11 Old 03-21-2008, 08:19 AM

Second those who recommended laying low, keeping legs together and so forth. Unless a tear is quite large, it will probably heal by itself. If you can kegel, and if urination and defecation seem to be normal, then you're probably ok. But I do emphasize the need to lay low, to keep from continually reopening the tear. Lay down rather than sitting; no stair climbing; no lifting anything heavier than the baby; only mild exercise--for at least 2wks. While you don't need to obsess about it, you might want to use a mirror to get a look every 3 days or so (sooner if it starts to 'get worse', see below) just to see how it's doing. THis 2wks mark is an estimate; the main thing to do is pay attention to your body. Limit or deny sitting in proportion to how much sitting hurts! You might find that sitting up only hurts a little, and if so then sitting up for short periods is ok. You might find that before 2 wks you feel just fine and can see it's healed OR, you might find that you need 3-4 wks to continue providing some kinds of healing support as below. The nicer and more supportive you are concerning this tear NOW, the quicker it will heal and the more likely that healing will be straightforward and strong.

Also--keep it clean--use a peribottle to rinse, every time you toilet, and pat gently dry. You may want to use a clean washcloth or fresh 4x4 gauze pads to provide gentle counter pressure when you have a bowel mvmt--and no straining! You can use various herbs and sea salt in sitz baths and/or hot or cold compresses used 3x a day or so; also make sure to get some air to the region every day. Some women will actually set up a lamp and lie with legs a bit open to receive warmth/drying from the light, 10-15min at a time, once or twice a day. Otherwise, you can do things like wear no sanitary pad, but just lie on a chux or towel for part of every day or at night. Kegel often!

It is too late now for stitches--until a month or more from now, when surgical repair could be done if really needed. Til then, support healing in the ways mentioned and remember that your body does know both what it is supposed to look like and how to heal! Watch for swelling and foul odor, or any increase in pain--most tears lose the swelling within a day or three if the wound is clean and healing; odor should be normal and not foul; wound may seep a bit of fluid but shouldn't bleed or start weeping pus (which probably would be notable by odor as well). I have seen fairly large tears heal just fine. Sometimes things do look a bit different if edges don't come together just perfectly--but most often they do, or quite close. The appearance will not be an issue if all functions are normal.
#7 of 11 Old 03-21-2008, 09:15 AM

I tore with my last and I didn't have it stitched or even looked at. I also wasn't great about keeping my legs together and not doing too much (Not exactly by choice though, 2 other kids no help during the day after the week my dh could take off). I was afraid I wouldn't heal 'nice' but I did.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#8 of 11 Old 03-21-2008, 09:27 AM

As many others have said, minimize stress on that area and it's likely to heal on its own. I don't know about the 6 hour thing. I didn't have UC, I had a homebirth with a midwife. My midwife said I had a superficial tear that she could either do 1-2 stitches, or I needed to take it easy and sit with my legs together, etc. for a few days. She told me she'd take a look at the 3 day appointment and if it wasn't starting to heal, she could do the stitches then.

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#9 of 11 Old 03-21-2008, 06:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I second the rule of thimb being 4-6 hrs on suturing, the suturing has to be done when the tissue is raw/exposed so that it will adhere to the other open side and heal together.

I did not choose to have stitches with vag birth #1, lovely baby girls 10lbs 4oz, the next day when it was burning like hell everytime I urinated I called mw and asked if she could come and suture but alas it was too late. My perineum was intact, it was the deep side splits that were killing me. They did heal naturally but it took some time, I think it was at least 7-10 days before the burning w/urination was waining.

This time w/uc I wont be getting sutured either, but I have always wondered if I had been stitched if it would have been easier recovery for me. If this baby tears me badly I just might have to call one of my MW friends to come but Im not planning on it.

I used a lot of honey and compresses. Has anyone else heard of honey on the wound? It helped to seal it and be a barrier to the urine. I think I had read an article on honey for this use somewhere recently (w/in last year)...Ill have to check on that.
#10 of 11 Old 03-21-2008, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for your insight. I decided to just let it be and it seems to be healing up nicely. Very little stinging or pain anymore. My husband and I both agreed that we don't care if I look a little different than before down there. Besides, I probably got stitched up just I bit too tight after my other two births anyway
#11 of 11 Old 03-28-2008, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurnur View Post
I second the rule of thimb being 4-6 hrs on suturing, the suturing has to be done when the tissue is raw/exposed so that it will adhere to the other open side and heal together.

I did not choose to have stitches with vag birth #1, lovely baby girls 10lbs 4oz, the next day when it was burning like hell everytime I urinated I called mw and asked if she could come and suture but alas it was too late. My perineum was intact, it was the deep side splits that were killing me. They did heal naturally but it took some time, I think it was at least 7-10 days before the burning w/urination was waining.

This time w/uc I wont be getting sutured either, but I have always wondered if I had been stitched if it would have been easier recovery for me. If this baby tears me badly I just might have to call one of my MW friends to come but Im not planning on it.

I used a lot of honey and compresses. Has anyone else heard of honey on the wound? It helped to seal it and be a barrier to the urine. I think I had read an article on honey for this use somewhere recently (w/in last year)...Ill have to check on that.
I didn't have a homebirth like I was supposed to (still upset about that, wish I'd have known about unassisted back then), but I did tear from my son's fist being pressed against his face. I had one stitch in the back and stitching up my labia that tore. The burning and itching were AWFUL and drove me up the wall. And then the stitches didn't even take to the labia and now I have two flaps where there should be just one It doesn't bother me at all, but I just wanted to put in my two cents that stitches don't necessarily work down there.

my toy shop on etsy.com: wooden baby keys, natural bathtub toys, wooden animals, little kitchens, waldorf dolls...also check out my blog about saving money, creating things, and natural living

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page