planning an unassisted home birth need help - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-21-2008, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello, I am currently 33 weeks pregnant with the 6th child and after too many bad experiences from the medical field my husband and I are planning to do this on our own since we made this child together we thought we might as well birth this child as well. I have been doing alot of reading and watching alot of you tube even thou all that I have seen and read is very empowering I am still lost on the guts of the whole process well I mean like what supplies do you really need and what problems do we need to look out for and I have seen alot written on herbs but not on what herbs and what they would be for and we could use a few tips on knowledge so that we can be prepared for whatever may come our way. so if anyone can help please do we are running out of time and we need to get busy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 03-21-2008, 11:32 PM

Have you looked at www.unassistedchildbirth.com
They have a very informative forum, with a lot of really good info and practical advice... Not trying to shoo you away from here, but it's a lot more "condensed" over there Lots of lists and a cheat sheet for the hubby, which I find awesome.

I'm just at the beginning, but so far, it looks like all you really need is... pregnant you Everything else is optional

---feeling like an emu on acid---
#3 of 9 Old 03-22-2008, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thixle View Post
...all you really need is... pregnant you Everything else is optional
That's about it!

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#4 of 9 Old 03-22-2008, 11:09 AM

second the suggestion to go to unassistedchildbirth.com....great place! Info somewhat organized and the mods will help you link to the info you need.
#5 of 9 Old 03-22-2008, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Hello, it's me again asking more questions. Like I said I am 33 weeks and we are planning on having an unassisited home birth and while we were talking about it the subject came up of our 16 month old being involved in the birthing process. At the moment I am on both sides and I don't know what to do. Abby (our 16 month old) is a scorpio and is very inclined on reading people and their hidden feelings just by reading their eyes and I worry that when this process starts that she will be too upset and won't listen to reasoning but then I think that she is young enough to see this and learn not to be afriad and when the time comes for her to birth her babies this event will be there in her spirit and remind her that it's a naturel beautiful thing and that she can do it as mama had once had, but then there is the fact that she is 16 months old she's a toddler and if she sees mama in the pool she is going to want to be in it too and if not allowed well then here comes the meltdowns and plus and I mean plus she is an all american daddy's diva and I just know that when this event begins and dad is trying to be there for me she is going to throw a fit and So what do you think? sassie
#6 of 9 Old 03-22-2008, 07:04 PM

I think you should do what makes YOU feel comfy, when the time comes. If she wants in the water, and you are okay with her in there, then by all means, let her in I do think it is a good idea to have someone there just for the kiddo, that she trusts, in case it gets distracting, or she doesn't WANT to be there.

I'm "prepping" my DD with birth books, heck she's even seen a lot of the more peaceful birth videos on youtube. One of the Bradley Childbirth books I checked out from the library had LOTS of pictures of babies coming out. Oh, she'll be 3 when the baby gets here, but I'm a firm believer in explaining as much as i can to her... even if it DOES go over her head.

Later in the pregnancy, i plan on doing vocalizations with her-- can't remember where i got the idea to "gorilla grunt" and all sorts of other noises that i could possibly make while in labor. I'm usually not very vocal, so i don't want her to freak if mommy is making noises.
But i think it will be a really fun game, and knowing my dd, if she's awake when i do give birth, she's going to be a cheerleader ("come on mommy- grrrrrrr!")

A friend of mine said it made her relax more, knowing her son was watching. He was about a year and a half and when the baby came out, he said "There's my baby!"

hehe, as you can see, I'm a big fan of siblings being present- but, they should have an escape plan if it gets to be too much.

---feeling like an emu on acid---
#7 of 9 Old 03-22-2008, 07:16 PM

I would go with what feels right. When dd was born, one of the most vivid memories for me was looking into my ds' eyes and seeing him smile at me and say, "mommy you're doing it!". His entire body was smiling, and honestly at that second I knew I could do it! He was 4 at the time, and like my little midwife. He is again with this birth

I also had people available for them that they could trust/be with if they didn't want to be there & to distract them. In the end, both were not needed as her birth was less than an hour, lol
#8 of 9 Old 03-23-2008, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you. Hearing that some other moms had there little ones there as the new one came is reassuring to me. I have been showing her clips and tv shows and so forth to let her know whats coming. I sometimes think that she gets it but then she goes to her daddy's tummy and pats it and says baby like she does mine and then I'm not so sure but either way I know that she will soon learn what mama has been telling her. I am so excited to be having this baby at home and if I was just a little more crazyier I do it again. I don't know if any of you are into the whole astrology thing but we are and I am a virgo and my husband is a gemini and our 16 month old is a scorpio and this baby will be a taurus thats if she comes on time so the pharse bull in the china cabinet is my life. But anyway thank you . sassie
#9 of 9 Old 03-24-2008, 01:49 PM

I had planned on having my at this time 3y. dd in our bedroom when her sister was coming but sadly we couldnt get her in time, anyway now i am pregnant again and when the next one comes dd1 is 5 y. and dd2 23 months, and i hope we ll make it this time to have them their.
Also i read if children see something what they cant cope with they ll just kind of cut it out of their memories.

johannasonja

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page