My UC - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 03-25-2008, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had surprise twins about two weeks ago in a UC birth. Labor was uneventful, I labored from 3-5 then asked for my doula to come over. Then labored till about 8:30 and started pushing (my hubby and son ~2 then joined us in the bathroom.) I pushed out sac and part of a baby (in the water) and had to pop the sac to find out what the body parts were in the sac that I could tell wasn't a head. Turns out it was a butt and legs and then I couldn't get the baby past the rib cage, I got out of the water, and with a midwife on the phone pushed out the baby, he wasn't breathing, so we called 911 and I gave cpr while we waited for the paramedics. While giving CPR I got the urge to push again, and all I could think of was please God don't let it be the placenta as he still needs to be connected, the cord was small and slightly blue still, so I hoped it was still flowing some, but probably had too much compression during the birth. Out came a surprise baby number two, he was crying so I knew he was fine and continued working on the first till the paremedics arrived. They took the first and he went in the first ambulance. I tried to deny transport for the 2nd twin who was pink with a little grunting, and thus they held me down and then I agreed to go, but apparently it was too late cps had already been called. I was told lies that the babies blood would drain out of the baby if we didn't urgently cut the cord etc. I wouldn't let them cut it till the placenta was delivered. baby 1 was 4.5 lbs and baby 2 was 7.1 lbs. I'm now required to be supervised with all my children pending evaluation.

baby 1 is still in the nicu with neurological problems could be from birth and or small placenta (the size of a coke can) He has little to no gag/suck reflux, and I'd like to bring him home with a ng tube, but I'm being told that's not safe and we need to consider a g-tube. I think he'll recover better at home.

Baby 2 was discharged after about a week and is home nursing well, and doing great after being pumped full of antibiotics and having a colapse lung.

they were born at aprox 37 weeks
#2 of 21 Old 03-25-2008, 11:44 PM

Congratulations on the birth of your babies.

We have a special needs forum that you are welcome to vist as well as a NICU forum.
#3 of 21 Old 03-25-2008, 11:55 PM

I'm so sorry to hear that CPS is treating you so poorly. Good for you for standing up for your babies as much as you were able to. I sending you lots of healthy baby vibes and praying that all will be back to normal soon and both your little ones will be home.

Cari bfinfant.gif Family Business Owner Married to my HS Sweet-Heart Michael photosmile2.gif
Mama to Bridgitt read.gif (12/99) Rheannon joy.gif (05/04) and Meridith energy.gif (07/08)

and Griffin baby.gif April 2, 2013

#4 of 21 Old 03-26-2008, 12:09 AM
Banned

congratulations on the birth of both babies. i am so pleased that one is doing so well, and my thoughts and prayers are with the first born that he will recover well and quickly.

i'm also sorry for the undue stress of CPS being involved, and i hope that situation is resolved quickly.

many blessigns to you and your family!
#5 of 21 Old 03-26-2008, 12:37 AM

Oh my gosh, my heart breaks for you that cps is involved. What a mess! Many many prayers that everything gets straightened out asap with them and that baby 1 gets to come home soon.

Husband and Wife 4/03, Ds1 9/03, Dd1 8/06, Ds2 12/08, Dd2 due 1/11...bfing, co-sleeping, cding, ecing, bwing, ucing, no-more vaxing, no-more circ'ing, hsing, conservative Christian family.
#6 of 21 Old 03-26-2008, 12:38 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Welcome to your two new family members. What a huge surprise! I wish your first twin healing and peace, and the same to you in the challenges to come. Also sending you some strength for dealing with child protective services.

Peaceful mama to three blissfully-birthed and incredible small people: dd10, dd7 and ds5. Always awed and so thankful to be a midwife.
#7 of 21 Old 03-26-2008, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2_3birds View Post
thus they held me down and then I agreed to go,
Welcome to MDC, I hope you find the support you need

This quoted part above disturbs me. It may be OT, but can someone elaborate?
#8 of 21 Old 03-26-2008, 10:32 AM

((hugs)) congratulations on birthing your babies the most peaceful way possible, and I hope the CPS situation works itself out quickly and painlessly. *healing vibes* for baby A

Sunny coolshine.gif: gun toting, retired breastfeeding, car seat loving, guitar playing, home birthing and schooling mama to Jakob (10.06), Mikah (07.08) and Korah (07.11). uc.jpg 

#9 of 21 Old 03-26-2008, 10:54 AM

Congratulations. Another twin UC!!! May "Baby A" come home soon.

AND feel free to come visit the Parenting Multiples forum as well.

(And of course my curiosity when it comes to twins... you had no idea it was twins? In hindsight, were there indicators? Do you have everything you need for the babies?)

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#10 of 21 Old 03-26-2008, 11:02 AM

Congratulations!

Do you have a lawyer? I have all too unfortunate experience with CPS and would be happy to lend an ear. They got involved with my twins early on as well.

#11 of 21 Old 03-26-2008, 01:28 PM

I hope baby 1 continues to heal and will be home with you soon. Congratulations on your twins and good for you for sticking up for them!

If/when you find the time I know we here would love an update. hang in there.
#12 of 21 Old 03-26-2008, 04:41 PM

Wow, congratulations! I hope your little one will recover his health quickly and cps gets off your back soon.

I wonder if you would have done anything differently during your pregnancy if you knew you were carrying twins? Obviously, there are different nutritional requirements to grow two babies versus one. I wonder if you naturally felt to eat more, etc?

JENNY, 38~ preschool teacher, birth activist, sun worshiper, singer, married for 17 years and mom to

Karan 15, Fiona 12, Bodhi 10, Bjorn 6, Devon 3, and Robin Taylor born January 16th!

#13 of 21 Old 03-26-2008, 07:26 PM

Edited per another member's request

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#14 of 21 Old 03-26-2008, 07:40 PM

Edited...
#15 of 21 Old 03-26-2008, 08:51 PM

Edited per another member's request

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#16 of 21 Old 03-26-2008, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mataji4 View Post
Wow, congratulations! I hope your little one will recover his health quickly and cps gets off your back soon.

I wonder if you would have done anything differently during your pregnancy if you knew you were carrying twins? Obviously, there are different nutritional requirements to grow two babies versus one. I wonder if you naturally felt to eat more, etc?
I did follow my body on what to eat, some day I had over 200 grams of protein and didn't feel like I could get enough and other days barely 40 and lots of carbs. My belly was all baby, and I didn't have too much extra weight. the reason for the smaller twin was more placenta size rather than what I was eating, and the larger twin was nice and chubby for 7#. Looking back over my prenatal record I never measured outrageously large, and I had a friend that had a 10 lb baby that was bigger than I was. At 37 weeks one day before I had the twins I measured 39 cm.

If I had known twins I would have likely had a c-section, and I'm not sure either twin would be doing as well breathing, and they would be in a hospital more than 60 miles from my house instead of 5 miles because there's only one doctor in town that would have considered a vaginal birth with what I had.

Oh and I'm now within 10lbs of my pre-pregnancy weight, course no clothes in my closet fit as my body shape is still readjusting.
#17 of 21 Old 03-27-2008, 01:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Congrats! But I am so sorry about CPS. I hope baby #1 is home soon and does well.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#18 of 21 Old 03-28-2008, 12:33 AM

COngratulations on the 2 new babies! Peace, healing and strength to all of you!
#19 of 21 Old 03-28-2008, 06:28 PM

Congratulations on such a surprise! Welcome to the little babies!
I hope you all get a chance to heal and recover and your baby comes home soon and CPS steps out.((( hugs))))

joy.gifme, herding 5 critters a cat and a dog. DS 11/01, DS 10/04, DD 2/06, DS 5/07 and DD 9/10

#20 of 21 Old 03-29-2008, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crittersmom View Post
Congratulations on such a surprise! Welcome to the little babies!
I hope you all get a chance to heal and recover and your baby comes home soon and CPS steps out.((( hugs))))
:

Julie- living and learning with dh A and dc M (00), A (02), J (02), J (05), A (06), B (07), S (08), ? (10)
#21 of 21 Old 03-30-2008, 12:03 AM

well, congrats on your uc, and the births of your little babies! It sounds like the first while there was scary, and especially with cps and all. geez!

anyway i hope that your little ones are okay and pull through wonderfully so all of you can be a happy at h ome family soon!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page