Possibly losing our UC :/ - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 42 Old 04-07-2008, 12:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm so glad to hear things are ok. I am sorry that they tried what they could to scare you. It really would be nice to know that doctors are there for their patients and not the other way around...
#32 of 42 Old 04-07-2008, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by momileigh View Post
You were measuring 38 weeks by ultrasound???

HA!

That's ridiculous. Healthy babies can be anywhere from about 5 to 12 pounds or so at term. What on earth makes this doctor think there's a real measurable difference between 38 and 40 weeks??? Unless you've been having serial ultrasounds that demonstrate a clear cessation of growth (and even that would be suspect as ultrasound is more and more unreliable for these measurements as baby gets bigger) there's no way that this means anything.

It is almost as ridiculous as saying, "You're 30 years old, but you're weighing in as a 25 year old."
He didn't even get the weight of the baby. Which was a shocker, but I was sure I was going to get the.. "OMG! Baby is HUGE!" card. I am guessing the attending was going to kick his butt for that later.

I've had a couple of ultrasounds. One at the beginning to rule out an etopic, and one to confirm placenta placement. I was measuring right on my dates.
So in part, it does kind of make me go *herm?*that I would be measuring on my dates, then behind my dates. But as we all know ultrasounds can be less accurate the more they go on. Not sure how that applies to measurement .

Fluid is good. Everything else is good, so.. yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalisage View Post
I'm so glad to hear things are ok. I am sorry that they tried what they could to scare you. It really would be nice to know that doctors are there for their patients and not the other way around...
Thank you.

This is what I was explaining to my husband.. I guess they are so used to being the authority and having people do as they wish, they stopped explaining things and use fear instead.

I really wish I could have had a conversation with the attending that went like.. "well, because we didn't see the baby breath in the BBP, we are concerned about this. Though your placenta does not showing aging, we feel this could be indicative of X. These are the kind of risks that we see.. blah blah"

The best part is, if they were so worried about the baby.. I offered to come back the next day for another BPP. To set up an appointment at their clinic. Right after I decide to leave AMA, they could care less. They never gave me the number to the clinic that they promised. Nice, huh?
#33 of 42 Old 04-07-2008, 01:27 PM
Banned

crazy.

i'm glad you're doing well and feeling good!
#34 of 42 Old 04-07-2008, 04:57 PM

Best wishes on your coming baby! I am so glad you were able to walk out of the hospital with the reassurance you needed.

If you are within 3 hours of Southern Utah I would be happy to help you out, I have been a doula and u/c coach for 2 years. My most recent birth I helped with was via telephone. I always wanted to be a midwife but after many years of learning about birth and even attending the Utah School of Midwifery for a year I have decided that I am not the one to catch any baby other than my own. I then started offering my services as a doula and u/c coach. Seeing parents take responsibility for their birth and being the first to touch their sweet babe is so beautiful. I mainly am there to support the father and make sure any other children are supported, make food and clean up.

Best wishes!
Sarah
#35 of 42 Old 04-07-2008, 05:28 PM

Good for you! I'm glad to see that you stuck to your guns and didn't let them talk you into it! Do what you gotta do - baby will come when it's ready! Good luck!
#36 of 42 Old 04-07-2008, 05:57 PM

I'm impressed with the way you stood up to the hospital workers and for the level of responsibility you are taking. You know your stuff, have done your homework and the hospital staff aren't used to that, and don't like it. I think you can be confident that you are making wise decisions for your baby. I hope to check back in here soon and found out everything went beautifully and you have a amazing new life in your arms!

M.Ed. Mama to Chunka (1/07), Beauty (5/09) and Elizabear 3/12): Birth Doula (working toward certification) AAMI Midwifery Student, Advocating with Solace for Mothers & The Birth Survey

#37 of 42 Old 04-08-2008, 04:54 PM

What Jenne said. I have had the same experience soooo many times. Doctors, nurses, they really dont like it when a patient questions them at all. They are so used to complient, happy, even thankful patients that when they get one who isnt so easy to deal with, they freak.

Cari-mama to Eriq, Lile, Paikea, Kaidyn, and Mieke is here!! 2/9/10
#38 of 42 Old 04-08-2008, 05:11 PM

What Jenne said. I have had the same experience soooo many times. Doctors, nurses, they really dont like it when a patient questions them at all. They are so used to complient, happy, even thankful patients that when they get one who isnt so easy to deal with, they freak.

Cari-mama to Eriq, Lile, Paikea, Kaidyn, and Mieke is here!! 2/9/10
#39 of 42 Old 04-09-2008, 03:14 AM

You definetly did the right thing. I'm glad you chose to go home - you're ptobably right about the induction if castor oil did nothing.

Glad that everything is okay - stay strong mama!
#40 of 42 Old 04-09-2008, 04:19 PM

(((big hugs)))

I'm so sorry they tried to scare you, but happy to hear you are back at home again.

My HBAC baby (DD1) came to us at 41weeks 6days. I was in a near panic at the end since my homebirth midwife continued to remind she wouldn't attend past 42 weeks. :

But I was confident that the baby knew when it was right to be born!

It's hard when you're getting pressure from others, but listen to your body and your baby. Try to get calm and chat with the baby. Let her/him know that you're ready and trust that he/she will come when the time is right.

So rarely do they need any help in coming to us!
#41 of 42 Old 04-09-2008, 05:53 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi mama! Thanks for keeping us updated, this must be an intense time for you and your family. I am glad to hear that your membranes are still intact!

From a more clinical point of view, the definition of gestational hypertension is a BP of over 140/90 on two separate occasions in your pregnancy. Your blood pressure could easily have been that high just from walking through the hospital, and it returned right back to normal once you were relaxed and settled. Secondly, about two or three weeks ago, the Cochrane Database released a new meta-analysis stating that all aspects of a BPP besides amniotic fluid volume are completely irrelevant and that no clinical decisions should be made based on the "score" out of 8. i.e. breathing movements, tone, etc. are not an indication of your baby's well-being based on one ultrasound.

Keep strong, mama. You know what is right for you and this baby... follow your heart, lean on us here for advice and good luck! You'll be in my thoughts.

Grateful midwife and peaceful mama to three blissfully birthed, amazing children: dd (10)dd (7) and  ds (5).
#42 of 42 Old 04-16-2008, 01:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oooooh. Your story is what I wish to god mine would have been. My water broke at 41 weeks, no labor for 48 hours. My baby wasn't moving as much either, my partner and midwife wanted Pitocin. After a 20 minute VE at the local teaching hospital where they couldn't find my cervix (idiots), I started running a fever, and by the time my daughter was born after a truly hellish 1hr, 43 minute labor, we both had a serious infection. I know I didn't have one when I went in, it was a preventative thing to get the Pitocin, but they wouldn't admit me without a VE.

I am praying that things go well for you, please let us know how things are going with an update. If I ever have another child it will be UC!!!!

God bless.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page