Possibly losing our UC :/ - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-06-2008, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ever since our first child was ripped from uterus unnecessarily, I dreamed of a home birth with our next baby. I did hours and hours and hours of research. I had every confidence all would be well. ..

When we became pregnant with our second child, I found a care provider to take me on that agreed to VBAC at home. Eventually I started learning more about UC in the process. As the months started to go on, the more I started to see our care provider regarded our birth. How managed it was going to be, how it was her way or no way. While legally, I understand the need to protect ones own rear, it really stinks to be on the other end.

I was also astounded with the number of people that were going to be in attendance at our home birth. And how hands off she was not going to be . It was unfair of me that I thought she might be like paramidwife (okay, I really really hoped), and when that became apparent our relationship ended. UC/UP began.

I had been doing much of my own anyway, so it wasn't a big deal. Everything was going really well.

Until I sprang a leak in my water. :/ I tried to tell myself that it wasn't my water. It was just the baby kicking my bladder. After running around for several days trying to find litmus paper (boy, if you could have heard the attitude I got from Walgreens..) I found it, and tested. First time, it came out greenish. This morning. Dark blue. Positive.

I am not leaking now. It only seems to happen when I pee/push.

I am plus 4 days now. I am not comfortable with how long its been continuing to go. I drank some castor oil and OJ this morning to try to get things moving along. If they do not mo ve along by this afternoon, I am headed to the hospital.

It's the last thing we want. But really, what more are my options?

We are looking at the possibility of losing our UC and our home birth. We are looking at the possibility of me getting cut open again, and having to leave my 21 month old for four days. I am really really scared.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2008, 10:32 AM

You have to do what you feel comfortable with. If you really feel it's time to go to the hospital, then of course that's what you should do.

As long as you haven't had anything in the vagina since your water broke there's really no pressing reason to get to the hospital. You could drink lots of water and take vitamin C just in case (to ward off infection). I know of a few women locally who have gone a week or even a bit longer with broken waters and delivered at home with no problems. And I know there have been at least a few on this board who have gone for a while with broken waters.

Good luck!
Old 04-06-2008, 11:17 AM

First off, you have my full and complete support with whatever you choose to do. UC really is about taking responsibility and tuning inward for what's best for your baby & you. I trust you know best.

Secondly, have you visited the PROM thread? My story is posted on there. I had much more of a gushing rupture than what you're describing. Only I was 31 weeks. I made a really difficult decision to stay home and I am SO glad that I did. I followed the protocol I listed there & since I was so early, my bags resealed & refilled. (We even stopped preterm labor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookymama View Post
It's the last thing we want. But really, what more are my options?
I guess, I don't quite understand why you are worried about giving your baby & you the birth you want to at home. Are you running a temperature? Was the water bloody or heavily stained with meconium? Was there so much water expelled that now the baby isn't moving much? What happens when you eat or drink something sugary (natural or not) and then lay down quietly to count 10 kicks/punches... do you reach 10 in less than 2 hours?

Some hospitals do let ruptured membranes go longer than others, but usually not the ones that happen at term. If you go in I'd say for sure you'll be induced if they are VBAC friendly. If they aren't, then yes, you'll be going in to birth your baby by cesarean.

Do you have a doula you could hire today if you continue to plan to go into the hospital? Having a doula with you to advocate may be worth their weight in gold.

My PROM experience:
1st - Water broke, son born 18 hours later.
2nd - Water broke, daughter born 3 days later.
3rd - Water broke, daughter born 10.5 weeks later.

Spark and her four firecrackers.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefoot mama View Post

You have to do what you feel comfortable with. If you really feel it's time to go to the hospital, then of course that's what you should do.

As long as you haven't had anything in the vagina since your water broke there's really no pressing reason to get to the hospital. You could drink lots of water and take vitamin C just in case (to ward off infection). I know of a few women locally who have gone a week or even a bit longer with broken waters and delivered at home with no problems. And I know there have been at least a few on this board who have gone for a while with broken waters.

Good luck!

Dh and I got, eh, friendly after the first bit of a leak. I had assumed one, that labor was close. Two, it would be slightly better than going in to have it checked since VE's do not carry the possibility of putting one into labor generally. I didn't think it would have taken this long.. since I had a full SROM with my first, and labor was immedate.:/

I've been taking vitamin C, and upping my water.

The only issue that I am having is that the baby seems to be moving less. Now, that could very well be because I am over 40 weeks (where is the room!?). But thats a reason I am nervous.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:48 AM

Sending you start labor vibes..... I will be thinking of you, hoping things are ok
Old 04-06-2008, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

[QUOTE=Spark;10940345]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark View Post

I guess, I don't quite understand why you are worried about giving your baby & you the birth you want to at home. Are you running a temperature? Was the water bloody or heavily stained with meconium? Was there so much water expelled that now the baby isn't moving much? What happens when you eat or drink something sugary (natural or not) and then lay down quietly to count 10 kicks/punches... do you reach 10 in less than 2 hours?

I am running a slight temp this morning. But that could be because I was buried under blankets when my husband turned on the heat. The main reason I am worried is the baby does not seem to be moving much as normal. Now again, that could be because of being term. Keep in mind that the first leak I had started on 3/31.

Quote:
Some hospitals do let ruptured membranes go longer than others, but usually not the ones that happen at term. If you go in I'd say for sure you'll be induced if they are VBAC friendly. If they aren't, then yes, you'll be going in to birth your baby by cesarean.
Believe me , I know. I would say that I would fudge the numbers on the water leak. But I am under no delusions if they find it, they will just pump me full of antibiotics and let me go home. I am under no delusions that they will give me a NST to see how the baby is, then let me go on my way.

I realize the weight of each of these decisions, and it is a heavy one. Thats why I am so scared.

As far as the doulas go. There are no doulas out here that I can call at a moments notice to get to attend our birth. :/
Old 04-06-2008, 11:54 AM

Quote:
The only issue that I am having is that the baby seems to be moving less. Now, that could very well be because I am over 40 weeks (where is the room!?). But thats a reason I am nervous.
Here's a PDF you may find useful. It's a pretty clear explanation of how to do kick counts & includes a place to record the info...
http://health.utah.gov/rhp/pregnancy...kickcounts.PDF

Old 04-06-2008, 12:06 PM

Quote:
I am running a slight temp this morning. But that could be because I was buried under blankets when my husband turned on the heat.
Yeah, that's something that would be a red flag for me. We do tend to be elevated slightly after waking up, but if it continues to be above 98.6, then yeah, that would concern me, too.

Quote:
The main reason I am worried is the baby does not seem to be moving much as normal. Now again, that could be because of being term. Keep in mind that the first leak I had started on 3/31.
I was reading/posting (kick count PDF) while you replied to me. So, it's been a week then since you first noticed a leak. That's within my comfort level (as long as your temp goes back down in the next hour or two), but it doesn't mean it's within yours!

Quote:
As far as the doulas go. There are no doulas out here that I can call at a moments notice to get to attend our birth. :/
Bah! That bites! Would you want to put a call out in the Birth Professionals forum asking for a doula who might? You never know if someone will know someone.

Let's just hope your temp goes back down & you have the space & energy to get labor started before showing up at the hospital. I wish I had some kind of labor inducing power for you! I can think of a page that has a lot of natural induction information though... http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/natinduc.html

Old 04-06-2008, 01:39 PM

How are you feeling now mama?
Lots of good thoughts coming from BC to you
Old 04-06-2008, 01:51 PM

how are you feeling? how's your temperature? thinking of you. hope your labour starts soon and that you'd have a peaceful birth...
Old 04-06-2008, 01:59 PM

After several days with your water broken, having had sex, with a fever and lessened movement I would be very concerned about infection and would probably head to the hospital. There is a chance you could get an IV of abx and a NST and then sign yourself out AMA and go home.
Old 04-06-2008, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Yeah, that's something that would be a red flag for me. We do tend to be elevated slightly after waking up, but if it continues to be above 98.6, then yeah, that would concern me, too.

I was reading/posting (kick count PDF) while you replied to me. So, it's been a week then since you first noticed a leak. That's within my comfort level (as long as your temp goes back down in the next hour or two), but it doesn't mean it's within yours!
) You know, it's not so much the length of time.. (though it bothers me), it's the lack of movement/not as much movement. Baby has moved some, not as much. I hope it picks up so we don't have to go!

Quote:
Bah! That bites! Would you want to put a call out in the Birth Professionals forum asking for a doula who might? You never know if someone will know someone.

Let's just hope your temp goes back down & you have the space & energy to get labor started before showing up at the hospital. I wish I had some kind of labor inducing power for you! I can think of a page that has a lot of natural induction information though... http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/natinduc.html

Aw, thank you! I will consider that..

My temp went back down, so that's good. Just waiting on the baby to pick up movement and maybe for these contractions to get going more.
Old 04-06-2008, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2fourgirls View Post
How are you feeling now mama?
Lots of good thoughts coming from BC to you
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodymaximus View Post

how are you feeling? how's your temperature? thinking of you. hope your labour starts soon and that you'd have a peaceful birth...

Took the oil at 5:30amish. Had contractions in my sleep enough that my belly was sore. They petered out as they tend to do, even with my system cleaning itself out. Took another dose at 9:00am. Did some cleaning, took a hot shower.

Having contractions still, but nothing consistent and nothing painful. I am really pushing water.

We're getting ready to go out right now to walk a bit, get some last minute things done and see where we end up from there.

Thank you so much for the good thoughts.
Old 04-06-2008, 03:02 PM

May labor come on good & strong!

Sending you peace & lots of love!

If you need to pull inward, don't feel like you have to check in with us. We're here continuously giving you support.

Old 04-06-2008, 04:39 PM

Sending you positive thoughts mama.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:53 PM

Just thinking of you and wondering how you are doing!!!
Old 04-06-2008, 11:11 PM

Thinking of you.........

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

Old 04-06-2008, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter

Okay..

I am back from the hospital, and I am still pregnant!

Went in because of my temp, and fluid. When I got there, both were fine. I showed no signs of a leak, and my temp was perfect. They ordered an ultrasound which was fine.. found out baby is head down and doing okay.

Thought that meant I could just go home... ha! They were waiting on labs, and while waiting on labs baby was just re-active. Heartbeat didnt move much in variation. this meant they wanted a BPP. Fine.

I was flat on my back for 30 minutes. Around the last 5 minutes I was offered juice to see if we could get the baby move more. Well, it worked, but only so well because they only gave a score of 6 to 10. Apparently because the baby as not practice breathing. The resident who was over looking most of the work was on the phone most of the time, and had the attitude if she didn't see it, it didn't happen.

Got back, got on the strip. heart beat was showing variation. My blood pressure was way down to normal . It was 137/80 when I came in. When I was relaxed it was 120/70.

TOLD me they were going to induce me. The guy seemed surprised when I told him no. Had his supervisor come in to scare me into induction. She said i was hyper tensive, clearly I *wasnt*. Then she gave my dates as a reason. Hello, I am 40 weeks! Then after that, she gave the failing the BPP, and discounted the strip afterwards showing improvement.

She wanted to cut me open, and didn't see why I wouldn't consent to induction. My bishop score was low, it's not medically needed.. mmmh. Tough call there.
Got a bunch of scare tatics on how if anything happened, it would be all my fault.

Even though I pointed out the risk for induction was GREAT, and they had not bothered to throw any of that at me. The response was.. "well, there is risk to everything.. and we can't promise.. but there is more of a risk in your case.."

I ended up signing out AMA, which they hated. I had to sign a paper saying they weren't responsible if something happened to the baby, or I turned Pre-clamptic. (There was no protein in my urine, no swelling, no head ache, no sudden weight gain, BP came down... come on!)

So here I am. Thank you so much for you well wishes.. Please keep us in your thoughts until this little person is here!
Old 04-06-2008, 11:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I'm glad all is ok!

Sending labor :

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

Old 04-07-2008, 12:00 AM

You are awesome spookymama! Good for you! Subbing for updates

"If you only knew how many things I want to say and don't, you'd give me some credit."
Old 04-07-2008, 12:05 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
glad everything is okay!
Old 04-07-2008, 12:55 AM

WOW!

Thanks for updating!

Sorry you got a bunch of scare tactics while you were there. But, goodness, it sounds like the information you needed to make the best choice for you & babe!

Sending easy labor vibes for when the time is for the highest good!

Old 04-07-2008, 01:03 AM

Fabulous news! I'm glad you followed your gut and everything is back on track. Maybe the relief will tell your body it's time.
Old 04-07-2008, 01:13 AM

I'm glad that everything is okay. My heart, my hope, and my prayers are with you mama. May you have the gentle birth and wonderful experience that you long for in your heart.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:00 AM

Thinking of you and baby...
Old 04-07-2008, 03:30 AM

Sounds like they were "jumping the gun" a bit at the hospital with the induction talk, but it must have felt good to confirm that the baby is in fine shape.
Old 04-07-2008, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for the positive response. It makes me feel extremely better!

I can't believe it either, and neither can my DH.

I think what bothers me most about the situation is that they told me what was going to happen. I was not apart of my care there at all. They were making decisions for me based on what they wanted, but not what was best for us. Possible hyper tention (Blood pressure came down, but I was high stressed. What do you expect when you are worried out of your mind?), possible ability to develop Pre-e (no protien, no swelling..etc) , gestation age of.. ahem, 40 weeks.
The best part is when the attending told me that I would have a valid argument against induction if I wasn't at term. But when I brought up the reasons not to, they really could not refute it.

I guess it's not valid that I am VBAC, my risk of rupture goes up with induction OR with repeat surgery (which she said was no big deal..) so if either of those things need to be done, there needs to be a solid case for them.

The other thing is in the induction would not have been medically needed. Yes, the babies heart rate stayed the same on the strip when I was flat on my back without food or drink.. but is that not normal for a sleeping baby? Also my score of 6 on the BPP was borderline, it was not under 6. Baby was moving, fluid level was okay (over 11).. etc.

The only thing is he said I am measuring 38 weeks by ultrasound which is small. I am sure of my dates since we were charting and we are at least 40. I am guessing that they still can be off at this point, even though he wasn't and wasn't looking for the babies weight.

Either way, this baby wasn't ready to come out. After my bout with castor oil (which did nothing much!), and my low bishop score, I really doubt the induction would have worked anyway. Baby is in position, but not engaged. Minus 3-4 station. Cervix is dilated, but not effaced and high. They wanted to stretch me to 4 (I am 2-3) with a foley and use Pit. Mh.

There is apart of me that they did get to. That wonders if I should not have just agreed. I HATE that.

I really wish that they would have talked to me. To share their *evidence* based practices. Then again, what did I expect from them really?
Old 04-07-2008, 06:29 AM

Sounds like you did a good job! You stayed strong, and listened to your intuition regarding the baby. I'm glad that you also got the outcome that you wanted also! These "professionals" aren't used to being told no. ALl they hear is "OK, Sure" and "make the pain go away" when a pregnant lady tells them no they of course freak out. Cheers to making the hospital staff nervous!

Married to Michael and Mother of Jake 9, Jillianne 7, Jensen 5, Jacen 4. I've got severe osteoporosis, a fractured hip and chronic pain-so please be patient with me! Pagan,Crocheter,Reader,Homeschooler- that's me in a nutshell.

Old 04-07-2008, 01:32 PM

I am so glad things are well.

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

Old 04-07-2008, 01:38 PM

You were measuring 38 weeks by ultrasound???

HA!

That's ridiculous. Healthy babies can be anywhere from about 5 to 12 pounds or so at term. What on earth makes this doctor think there's a real measurable difference between 38 and 40 weeks??? Unless you've been having serial ultrasounds that demonstrate a clear cessation of growth (and even that would be suspect as ultrasound is more and more unreliable for these measurements as baby gets bigger) there's no way that this means anything.

It is almost as ridiculous as saying, "You're 30 years old, but you're weighing in as a 25 year old."

"If you only knew how many things I want to say and don't, you'd give me some credit."

User Tag List