Tearing Question - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 04-28-2008, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ok, dh is on board for a homebirth, and our back up plan is uc...he's also fine with that...

my one question is, what do you do if you need sutures? go to the er? i'm really not liking that idea. i want to stay as far away from hospitals as possible.
#2 of 15 Old 04-28-2008, 01:39 PM

If you have a relationship with a midwife, she may be able to come over and suture afterwards. You might be better off not having a minor tear repaired. If it's 3rd or 4th, you'd likely need surgical repair anyway. But remember it's not very likely that you'll tear at all, and if you do it's likely to be minor.
#3 of 15 Old 04-28-2008, 02:59 PM

I tore & let it heal up on its own with no stitches & no regrets.
#4 of 15 Old 04-28-2008, 03:15 PM

With my UC (child #2), I had a 2nd degree tear that I wanted to let heal on its own, but it wouldn't close back up and was bleeding a lot.

I went to and OB/Gyn that I had seen during my pregnancy twice to have it stitched after the fact. That was in a foreign country, though, so they didn't really hassle me at all about anything. For my current pregnancy, I'm planning on calling a nearby freestanding birth center and asking them to get stitched there or at home if I have a significant tear that won't close like last time. I don't know how that will go, but that's my plan.
#5 of 15 Old 04-29-2008, 05:32 AM

if its a minor tear, you can use honey. apply it and keep your legs together! it helps as an adhesive and it is also a disinfectant. it's got great anti-bacterial factors.
#6 of 15 Old 04-29-2008, 07:39 AM

I tore with my first. Somewhere between a severe 2nd and light 3rd degree tear. I did not have it repaired but allowed it to heal on it's own. Don't regret it at all. I just washed the area with betadine everytime I went to the bathroom for the first week.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#7 of 15 Old 04-29-2008, 02:20 PM

I tore and let it heal naturally as well. Here's the article that convinced me

http://norwegian-wood.livejournal.com/376239.html

Sarah
aspiring midwife Mama to Declan - 7/14/00 and Bastian - 11/20/07.
#8 of 15 Old 04-29-2008, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I too tore with my first vag birth and let it heal naturally. I used lots of honey and by day 7 it felt a lot better. Since I had nothing to compare it too, I wondered if stiches would have been better. I worked with a seamstress for a mw for a while (she stiched everything), I thought yes, next time I def. want stiches, but upon see all the swollen puckered tissue trying to heal around these stiches I am back to leaving the body to heal itself. Thanks for the article, sometimes I need to be reminded just how well we are made!
#9 of 15 Old 04-29-2008, 03:17 PM

I would use human-glue (available at places like 1cascade.com).
#10 of 15 Old 04-29-2008, 03:46 PM

if only skin was involved i would let it heal naturally. if there was any serious muscle involvement then i would go in, but in that case you likely need a surgical repair and not just a couple of sutures.

this is what i would do for a tear:

breastfeed to help stop the bleeding.

honey, oil of oregano, garlic, and grapeseed extract are all amazing for healing. note: out of those i would only put honey directly on a tear the others are taken orally. definitely don't put oil of oregano on one because it will burn like nobody's business.

keep a spritz bottle near the toilet and spray with clean water after going to the bathroom. pat, don't wipe or rub the area.

sitz baths are great for promoting healing, as is comfrey.

wear loose cotton underwear when you have to and go without as much as you can.

do not touch it.

keep an eye out for unresolved swelling, discharge, and heat in the area.

keep an eye on your temp, an evelvated temp is one of the first and most reliable signs of infection.

you can by topical lidocaine cream to numb the area if you want (lidocaine is what they use for local anasthetic). one of the brands is called emla. but don't get the cream into the vagina itself. i'm actually the crazy person who would do simple sutures myself if i had to, but i'm definitely not advising anyone else to do that,
#11 of 15 Old 04-29-2008, 04:00 PM

Also, remember that there is more control in a UC- no one is telling you when to push, etc. NO performance anxiety. This leads to better stretching of the perineum. If you are concerned about tears, positioning during birth is helpful too- for example, my body INSTANTLY shoves baby out of me when pushing- I would NOT want to be standing or squatting. Sidelying is perfect for me; allows me control, a good view, and I can reach to check for the cord. Another thing that helps is being in the water- warm water helps the tissues stretch without tearing. With my fast second stages, I deliver side lying in the water and don't even get my "normal" skid mark that I get not in the water.

-Kristi
#12 of 15 Old 04-29-2008, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

thanks so much girls, you rock!!!

i love the honey idea...even made me think of super glue...ouch i know, but i've had plenty of friends use it when they are outdoors and not near medical care...
#13 of 15 Old 05-02-2008, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just let mine be. I had 2 small tears that thankfully I told the doc I didn't want sutured when I transferred and they were just fine. I would have used superglue had it continued to be an issue.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#14 of 15 Old 05-04-2008, 03:23 AM

I had near 3rd degree tearing- I was in a very uc unfriendly area of the country, so with my holistic healing knowledge and herbal knowledge I didn't go in for the first six days. I went to make sure my urethra wasn't torn (it wasn't). I am still not "normal" and if I want to be I will need reconstructive surgery (which is what they would have done had I gone in immediately). The tear involved skin and muscle almost to the anal sphincter (my babe's head did not crown normally, so I had to push the largest circumference of his head out-14 inches). I do not regret my decision at all, in fact the way I healed make sex more stimulating for both of us- who knew?

I have to say though, if I had been stitched immediately I probably wouldn't have been as sore for as long.

Momma to G 12/06 A 2/09, AND ANNOUNCING... Welcome big boy! A 5/10/10 9 lbs 10 oz! We and had our 3rd UP/UC!
#15 of 15 Old 05-05-2008, 10:05 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by logcabinmomma View Post
Also, remember that there is more control in a UC- no one is telling you when to push, etc. NO performance anxiety. This leads to better stretching of the perineum. If you are concerned about tears, positioning during birth is helpful too- for example, my body INSTANTLY shoves baby out of me when pushing- I would NOT want to be standing or squatting. Sidelying is perfect for me; allows me control, a good view, and I can reach to check for the cord. Another thing that helps is being in the water- warm water helps the tissues stretch without tearing. With my fast second stages, I deliver side lying in the water and don't even get my "normal" skid mark that I get not in the water.

-Kristi
:

Only for me, when I UC'd I needed to be standing up, I love to keep it slow and controlled, it's a BIG feeling you know. With my 1st birth, I gave birth laying down and got a 2nd degree tear. With my UC, the 2nd birth, I was able to stand and birth him out with the help of gravity, no tears.

It was always my plan to let smaller tears heal naturally, or have a midwife friend come over if I had torn badly enough(I am a non-active student midwife and had great resources available).

Non Practicing Midwife, going back to school! Mamma to my 3 loves, living each day to the fullest.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page