Did you weigh your baby right away? With what? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 05-07-2008, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I can't afford an infant scale. I've tried to look locally for places to rent them, but no luck so far.

I'd like to know the baby's weight sometime on the day they are born. You know, just so I can be sure they are feeding and growing ok, and it just feels important to me. We'll probably be taking the baby for a checkup sometime in the first few weeks, but I don't want to wait that long.

I thought about buying a bathroom scale and then weighing me with and without the baby.
Any other ideas?
#2 of 21 Old 05-07-2008, 08:50 AM

I have a digital fish scale with a sling to hang from it. It was gifted to me by a friend, but I don't think they're terribly expensive either... $25-30 maybe? A non-digital one would be cheaper, just a bit less accurate.
#3 of 21 Old 05-07-2008, 08:51 AM

we weighed her the next day using my ring sling hung on a fish scale that I got from some made in china internet place for about $20.

The bathroom scale will give you an idea, but not the ounces which can be misleading if you tell the ped when you take her that "she weighed about 8 lbs" because that's your best guess, then the ped will freak out if she is under that number, no matter how many times you tell them it wasn't that accurate. So if you do use that method, you might want to keep the results between you and DH. But if you just want a general idea for your personal reference that would work.
#4 of 21 Old 05-07-2008, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! That's a great idea! I found some fish scales locally for decent, and we have two maya wrap slings, so I think we can work it out. And then we can use it for homeschooling afterwards!
I'm tempted by the cheaper, non-digital ones, but I think I'll just go to the store and check out their selection. We might even ask around, as we have a few family members who fish, maybe we could borrow one.
#5 of 21 Old 05-07-2008, 09:20 AM

We weighed our DD2 the first night she was born, but I couldn't tell you exactly how soon that was after her birth - probably within 4 hours. We didn't measure her until the next day, though.

We put her in a ring sling and used a digital fish scale to weigh her.
#6 of 21 Old 05-07-2008, 10:19 AM

Maybe all of us UC moms should get together and get a Traveling Fish Scale and just send it from UCer to UCer

Sunny coolshine.gif: gun toting, retired breastfeeding, car seat loving, guitar playing, home birthing and schooling mama to Jakob (10.06), Mikah (07.08) and Korah (07.11). uc.jpg 

#7 of 21 Old 05-07-2008, 10:33 AM

We didn't weigh him right away, I think it was the next day. We used a hanging fish scale (non-digital) - hung a ring sling on it, set it to zero, then put him in the sling and weighed him.

With my other babies, we had an infant scale handy, so they were weighed on that the first day. The hanging scale works just as well and is WAY cheaper!

~ Colleen ~ Joyful Unschooling Pagan mama to hearts.gifenergy.gifsuperhero.gifjog.gif and babyf.gif
"When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead."
#8 of 21 Old 05-07-2008, 10:47 AM

for my second UC, I purchased a baby scale from Babies R Us for $29.99 ... double (and triple) checked it w/ a bunch of food products first to be sure it was accurate ... such as 5lbs of flour, etc. ... it worked very well and I still have that so I'll use it for my baby due in December.
#9 of 21 Old 05-07-2008, 11:10 AM

We used a sling & fish scale (will do the same this time), but weighing yourself w/babe on a home scale works just as good. Also check out ebay, I've seen some on there for like $7-10
#10 of 21 Old 05-07-2008, 11:23 AM

If I can't find a fish scale in time, I'll just take him to the post office and use their courtesy scale in the lobby.
#11 of 21 Old 05-07-2008, 12:36 PM

Sounds like you already have a plan and some good ideas. I haven't uc'ed yet, but I have a digital shipping scale that goes to 11 lbs, I have a small online business so I bought it for that, but I figure since I can zero it out with some type of "baby holder" lol, that it will work really well for that too.
#12 of 21 Old 05-07-2008, 01:35 PM

I got a digital fish scale for $15 on Ebay and used a Maya. I did it the next day-well, she was born at 3 am and I weighed her sometime in the afternoon, so technically the same day.

Laura, CBE and mom to Maddiewaterbirth.jpg ( 06/03/04) & Graceuc.jpg (  09/10/06)

#13 of 21 Old 05-07-2008, 02:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
I used a digital fish scale with my last (with an infant sling)....but I do not think it was correct. If so then my baby was close to 9lbs and there is no way that he was! I weighed him over and over on it and it kept saying the same thing. But when I took him to the dr at one week old he weighed 7.3 and they did not think that he was born at over 8 1/2 lbs...since that is a lot of weight to lose. His cousin was born 2 weeks prior and he was born in the hospital and he weighed close to 9 lbs (a couple ounces more than what my son supposedly weighed) and the two of them have never been close in size. He has always looked huge in proportion to my son.

I later used a non digital fish scale to monitor his weight...but it was even worse I think.

Now with this one, I do not have a dig scale because I had borrowed the last....I still have the non dig one....but I really do not trust it much. I do not care to buy a dig fish scale and have not seen them at stores that I looked at anyway (although I know of a place that I can buy them that is about an hour away..but I do not care to put out the money for it). So I think what I am going to do is take an average. I will weigh her several times with the non dig and take an average. I may even have my mom bring her really good dig bathroom scales and weigh her a couple of times by either laying her on them or me holding her and subtracting my weight. I am not overly fond of using my moms digital scales, because they do the body fat content thing and I think they send an electrical pulse through your body....I am not possitive though.
I have traditional scales, but they are about as wacky as the rest. Also I do not have anything but carpet in my house, and carpet is not accurate.
UGG!
#14 of 21 Old 05-07-2008, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureMama3 View Post
If I can't find a fish scale in time, I'll just take him to the post office and use their courtesy scale in the lobby.
I have thought about using the veggie scale at the store....lol
#15 of 21 Old 05-07-2008, 02:27 PM

I like to weigh the same day...because babies loss weight in the first week. So to have a true birth weight, then the same day is best. Although I typically wait a couple of hours later.......just to let everything calm down.
#16 of 21 Old 05-07-2008, 03:05 PM

LOL I told my hubby that he can go grocery shopping the day after with the baby and weigh him on the vegetable scale. He didn't like that idea in the least.
#17 of 21 Old 05-07-2008, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseofFire View Post
Sounds like you already have a plan and some good ideas. I haven't uc'ed yet, but I have a digital shipping scale that goes to 11 lbs, I have a small online business so I bought it for that, but I figure since I can zero it out with some type of "baby holder" lol, that it will work really well for that too.
I have a similar scale for my online business, and we just used a blanket lined shoe box and used the tare feature, then laid DS into it.

It looked goofy but worked just fine.

dizzy.gif DS1: 10/89 - DD1: 06/94 - DD2: 02/97 - DS2: 12/05 - DS3: 12/08 - DC6: ETA 04/26/12

I'll be 42 when the newest little one is born! Yowza!

#18 of 21 Old 05-08-2008, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

We bought a mechanical fish scale at Canadian Tire for $16.99. It goes to 25 lbs and the marks are divided down to half pounds,so I think it'll be easy to determine ounces. Maybe I'll try it out with some food items of known weight to make sure it works.

Thanks!
#19 of 21 Old 05-08-2008, 08:52 AM

excellent!

we found one at our local sporting good store/grocery/etc for $32. Not quite as cheap, but at least they have it in our tiny town!

now to find my Maya...
#20 of 21 Old 05-09-2008, 01:36 AM

We never weighed the last two babies but I am thinking that with this one we will borrow our friend's fish scale. But if we don't get it in time, I'm not worried about it-the other 2 turned out ok w/o being weighed!!
#21 of 21 Old 05-09-2008, 01:54 AM

My only thing with not knowing the weight is that it is hard to compare to your other childrens weights. I like to do that......see if they are getting bigger or smaller...lol. With my last we never knew the for sure weight and it has always bugged me......and it is not something that you can go back and find out later....

Today my mom bought me a dig fish scale from walmart for 20 bucks. But I think it went home with her on accident........but she will be here for the birth....so hopefully she remembers it!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page