Mothering Forum banner

News Article: Bush Signs Bill to Take All Newborns' DNA

3K views 60 replies 23 participants last post by  Valerie 
#1 ·
http://www.infowars.com/?p=1896

I think we will be seeing a lot more women visiting our UC forum more and more in the near future.

This is not right. I will be UCing, but I do not think anyone should be FORCED to UC simply to avoid having their newborns' DNA on file in the government and USED FOR GENETIC EXPERIEMENTS.

I can't believe I'm saying this. I can't believe it's come down to this. This is like something out of a really scary horror movie.

And even we UCers are not out of the loop. If we bring our baby to the doctor for any reason (whether that be a well-baby check, to establish a pedi, or because the baby is actually very sick!), they are required to get this DNA testing? Did I read that right?

Please someone, tell me I'm misreading. Maybe the bill will be overturned? Is there nothing that can be done?? I feel sick.

#52 ·
About health care -- my son's medicine costs about $20,000 a month. That's before doctor's visits and emergencies. And that's for a genetic condition, inherited just like you inherit the color of your eyes or the color of your skin. If we paid for private insurance, it would run us between $20-30thousand a year, which combined with daycare would be more than the amount of either of our salaries. Again, this is for a genetic condition that is inherited just like the color of your skin. If we paid for private insurance, we would lose the insurance within three years, because we would hit their 1 million dollar cap in that time. And then they'd kick him off their policy and refuse to cover him. In the meantime, they'd raise the premiums for everyone in the company over $1,000 a month and they'd reduce the amount of things they cover, with the result that the company couldn't afford to give any of their employees good health care coverage, all due to my son. And this happens to people with three-figure salaries and gold-standard insurance, too. I know a family who, when his son was kicked off his gold-standard insurance policy, was told that he should divorce his wife so that she could qualify for medicaid.

The aim of private insurance is to weed out high-cost patients like my son. And they are very successful at it. But people suffer, just because of the way they were born. And businesses and coworkers suffer, and businesses can't hire new employees when someone like my son is on their policy. So the parents end up losing their job or having to quit in order to not affect the company badly. It's pure discrimination.

We are trying to live on our state's SCHIP limits in order to qualify for insurance, but it's almost impossible. And now with the cost of gas and food rising, I don't know what we're going to do. We have applied for disability purely to get insurance, because their income limits are higher and would allow us to make ends meet, but there is no guarantee we'll be accepted, even if our son deserves it. Disability can be difficult to get.

So you're fine with the government paying a firefighter to come to your neighbor's house when it's on fire, you're fine with paying for libraries and education, you're fine with paying for police, but the government paying for doctors is inconceivable to you?

The education comparison is the best. A few hundred years ago only the rich got educated, because only they could afford it. Then we started thinking of it as a right rather than a privilege, and now everyone can be educated. Now the issue is health care. It's only marginally affordable for regular healthy people, and if there's anything wrong with you you have to be rich or very, very poor in order to get health insurance. What we need to do is change our thinking about it, just as we did with education. Everyone has a right to good health care.

#53 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by April422 View Post
We declined the PKU testing with our children. I don't see anyting in the bill that makes it mandatory.
I tried to decline the PKU. A social worker came and told me that if I left the hospital without the test, they would call DCFS on me. My main objection was their refusal to let either me or her father even be present in the room when they did it. Sketchy as fudge.

#54 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by tabitha View Post
i agree it is an invasion of privacy- but only if you choose to participate, which negates the 'invasion' part. the government has a whole lotta programs that i dont jive with, and i make the choice whether or not to participate. as long as there is that choice, i am not afraid of it.

no offense, but i have always thought the medicaid cutoffs were too high, not too low- our family of 5 would still qualify if we made $74, 000/ year! is it different in other states? i am in missouri.
no wonder we have simular views on medicaid.....we are in the same area. In this area there has not been much of an issue getting on medicaid. I know soooooo many people that have been or are on medicaid and are definitely not really struggling. For instance, we had some friends that were on it and they had just bought themselves a new Lexus. My point is that most people could probably handle average med bills just fine if they would readjust their priorities.....such as hold off on buying a new Lexus.....lol. Or stop smoking and drinking.......all of that stuff adds up to a lot of money. That is personally why I think they should screen people better. Atleast in this area, pretty much all of the people that drink, smoke, do drugs are on some form of medicaid. But in reality if they just stopped their habbits, then they could afford normal health care and truthfully probably would not need it as much...lol.
I will say that we were declined the second time around when we were up for renewal (we made about 30K)...but the offiice said that if we appealed we would probably be accepted. But we really did not need it anymore. The main reason why I even got on it in the first place was to cover dr and hospital bills for me and baby. And it covered all of them. The only thing I ever had to pay was a 2 dollar co-pay on my birth control.
I believe they base the income cutoff on how many people you have in your family. At the time it was just my hubby and me and one child living on about 30 k. So that was slightly over their cut off. But I am pretty sure that if we had all of our 3 kids at that time and living off of that much, then we would have been accepted without any question.

Honestly we could probably go get it now with the size of our family and our income....even though it is more than the 30 k we were originally on....but again I think they might go by person to income ratio. So with that being said, assumingly if a family with one child has a cut off of 25 k, then a family with 4 children would have a higher cut off.
I know that with my dd's school lunches, they had us fill out a family income survey. They had you list your incomes and how many people were living in the house that lived off of that income and such. They then took it according to ratio. For instance, my dd did not qualify for free lunches but did qualify for a certain reduced price lunch. Although I have friends that have less kids than us (also less income) and their children got cheaper lunches than my dd. And this was not just a school thing, it was a government assistance system. We did not use it at first, but then when we realized that we were going to be spending over 400 dollars on her lunches alone, we decided to take advantage of it .....we pay our taxes....we might as well get a perk from it....lol. They also sent home forms for medicaid, but we did not bother filling them out. I was tempted occationally when my son was going to the dr every week or two (for months) at 75-100 a trip and having several tests done (which of course are extra)....the office said we would probably qualify, but we chose to not do it...so we just paid out of pocket.

And to tell a different story, my aunt (different than the one I talked about earlier) is on medicare and she is going to be getting gastric bipass surgery through her medicare! Which by the way is a very pricey surgery.....several thousands of dollars. And it is not really a medical emergency...she is just overweight (which of course is not healthy) and wants to get the weight off.

And yes all of us live in the same area.

And in regards to out of pocket medical bills(meaning no insurance or government help)........
Atleast many of the facilities in this area will set you up with a no interest payment plan. You can pay as little as 25-50 dollars a month on your bill of thousands and thousands of dollars....and you can keep paying it that way until it is paid off or until the day you die...whichever comes first. If you do not pay, they just torment you, but they do not charge any interest. So in reality....many out of pocket patients will never pay their med bill off if doing a low payment plan. To my knowledge the bill is dropped once you die. I do not belive it gets passed to a family member. It might if you have a living spouse or if it was a child (under 18)that was living with the parents and the parents are still living. I do not know the rules on all of that. But I am pretty sure if a single 50 year old women died with her med bills not paid, then it would not carry down to anyone else. But again, I am not sure how it all works.

There are tons of rules and loop holes and such when it all comes to that type of thing.

#55 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by boigrrrlwonder View Post
I tried to decline the PKU. A social worker came and told me that if I left the hospital without the test, they would call DCFS on me. My main objection was their refusal to let either me or her father even be present in the room when they did it. Sketchy as fudge.
yeah many times I have realized that when you try to go against the grain, that they try to scare people with social workers (when involving children)...that has happened to me a couple of time. They feel that if they start threatening the risk of losing your kids then you will quickly change your mind. With me they never tried to take my kids.........man would they have been up for a fight....but they would try to throw scare tactics on out. I even got looked into by a social worker for having my child at my house!!

Too much red tape!

#56 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbravebird View Post
The education comparison is the best. A few hundred years ago only the rich got educated, because only they could afford it. Then we started thinking of it as a right rather than a privilege, and now everyone can be educated. Now the issue is health care. It's only marginally affordable for regular healthy people, and if there's anything wrong with you you have to be rich or very, very poor in order to get health insurance. What we need to do is change our thinking about it, just as we did with education. Everyone has a right to good health care.

#57 ·
I understand your thought on the education comparrison but keep in mind, schooling is not free as some tend to forget. Everyone pays taxes for school whether you have kids or not (atleast that is how it is here). It is no different with medical stuff, if you have a job you pay tax to all kinds of things....including medical stuff. But still health care is the way it is......

#60 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlessedOne View Post
Everyone pays taxes for school whether you have kids or not (atleast that is how it is here). It is no different with medical stuff, if you have a job you pay tax to all kinds of things....including medical stuff.
My point exactly. This country became willing to pay for education through taxes when we started seeing education as a right rather than a privilege. Now we need to learn to see health care the same way. And no, our taxes don't go toward seeing that health care is a right, not a privilege. Not yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.