Outlaw Births UC documentary...we have a date! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 77 Old 06-30-2008, 02:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurashanley View Post
I actually kind of like the title, too. It appeals to my rebellious nature!
Ha! That was my first thought as well when I saw the title. The word 'outlaw' has romantic connotations to me, somewhat in the Robin Hood way - the good guy standing up against oppressors.

Best of luck Ladies!
#62 of 77 Old 06-30-2008, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~~Mama2B~~ View Post
And let us know about the 20/20 episode if you can please Laura!
I'll be sure to post info as soon as I know. The 20/20 producer wrote a few days ago and said it had been postponed again (it was tentatively scheduled for the end of June). But that's generally how these things go. "Outlaw Births" was supposed to air in March, then April and now next week. I'm telling myself that when the time is right, the 20/20 show will air. It's possible they're making some changes to it, now that the AMA has made their famous announcement.
Laura
#63 of 77 Old 06-30-2008, 04:51 PM

Quote:
I'll be sure to post info as soon as I know. The 20/20 producer wrote a few days ago and said it had been postponed again (it was tentatively scheduled for the end of June). But that's generally how these things go. "Outlaw Births" was supposed to air in March, then April and now next week. I'm telling myself that when the time is right, the 20/20 show will air. It's possible they're making some changes to it, now that the AMA has made their famous announcement.
Laura
I know I live under a rock what was it? why bother I am sure it is something negative:
#64 of 77 Old 06-30-2008, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofysmommy View Post
I know I live under a rock what was it? why bother I am sure it is something negative:
They essentially want to introduce legislation that would effectively outlaw homebirth nation-wide. I personally do not feel they will ever be successful. More info can be found here - http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=916310
Laura
#65 of 77 Old 07-06-2008, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

I was sent a video of a commercial for Outlaw Births today.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v4...t=MVI_1964.flv

fambedsingle2.gif Heather, 25, single mom to Corbin, 5, and Orin, 3  uc.jpg  delayedvax.gif  nocirc.gif
Oh how I miss the days of femalesling.GIF  nak.gifcd.gif  
#66 of 77 Old 07-06-2008, 02:57 PM

Thanks, Heather! Hopefully they won't push the "cause for concern" theme, but I guess we'll know soon!
Laura
#67 of 77 Old 07-07-2008, 04:54 PM

Quote:
I put up a page with a jpg the Brits sent me today. Both the date and the name could change. It looks like Heather is going to be prominently featured!

http://outlawbirths.com/

Laura
I like the wording on this add from the station much better than the article that was linked!

"we follow Mothers taking ultimate responsibillity for the birth of their children."

That's more like it and it leaves me thinking the documentary could very well be quite positive!
#68 of 77 Old 07-21-2008, 11:36 PM

I can't believe they have to title these pieces things like "Outlaw Births" ... as if giving birth outside of the system makes you some kind of criminal! I would love to show of the video mentioned here in Iowa..I wonder if PATV (the local free cable network) would show something like that . . . I bet they would.
#69 of 77 Old 08-23-2008, 01:37 AM

Any news on when the 20/20 show will air?? That is my all time favorite show and the fact that they are doing a show about uc make me love it even more
#70 of 77 Old 08-23-2008, 01:42 AM

No air date yet. But the producer told me they started editing the UC piece this past Monday! I was a little worried that maybe they had canceled the show. But it looks like it will eventually air! I'll keep you posted.
Laura
#71 of 77 Old 08-23-2008, 08:37 PM

I can't imagine outlaw births as a title that reflects the image I'd want to leave in peoples minds. UGH!
#72 of 77 Old 08-23-2008, 09:28 PM

It didn't end up to be too bad. There were some things about it I liked, and some things I didn't. You can watch clips from it here - http://outlawbirths.com
Laura
#73 of 77 Old 08-26-2008, 12:12 AM

Quote:
It didn't end up to be too bad. There were some things about it I liked, and some things I didn't. You can watch clips from it here - http://outlawbirths.com
Laura
very cool i wish the whole thing was available here in the US

Megan-loving wife to my high school sweet heart 9.24.2005 and AP mama to my big boy biggrinbounce.gif 12.14.2006, homebirth.jpglittle sister 5.27.2009 andhomebirth.jpg baby sister 8.31.11

#74 of 77 Old 09-21-2008, 01:10 AM

So anymore news on the 20/20 episode? Every Friday when I watch it I hope it is on UC! And its not
#75 of 77 Old 09-21-2008, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icesk8 View Post
So anymore news on the 20/20 episode? Every Friday when I watch it I hope it is on UC! And its not
I'll be sure to post info here as soon as I get a definite date. I was told a few weeks ago that unless they decide to have a show about the election (which is a strong possibility), the childbirth show will air at the end of Sept. or beginning of Oct. This Friday there's a presidential debate just before 20/20 airs, so it wouldn't surprise me if they had something related to this. And actually I wouldn't mind if they postponed the childbirth show until after the political stuff dies down, and people are starting to get bored!

In other news, I got a letter on Friday from a producer at the Discovery Health Channel saying they bought "Outlaw Births" and will be airing it in the US (and possibly elsewhere)! I believe they're retitling it, and will also have a new narration. The producer wanted to check with me about several "facts" that were presented in the program to see if they were indeed facts. Some were and some weren't.

For instance, at the end of the program the narrator says, "For Laura Shanley the responsibility rests on the medical community to offer a different kind of support to women." They follow this with a clip of me saying that doctors, midwives and doulas can help women to believe in themselves. Yes, I said this because a producer (who was off-camera) had asked me, "What can doctors, midwives and doulas do to help women?"

But I would never say that "the responsibility rests on the medical community," because my focus has always been on women. It would be great if the medical community were more responsive - to the women that want/need them - but I believe each woman is responsible for her own birth. So I told him that I didn't agree with the narrator's statement. Hopefully he'll change it. To me the statement is in keeping with the idea that the UC movement is simply a response to the over-medicalization of birth, and that if we had better doctors and midwives, no one would want a UC. This just isn't true.

When I get a date on this one I'll post it, as well. Things are happening!
Laura
#76 of 77 Old 09-22-2008, 11:47 AM

Quote:
I'll be sure to post info here as soon as I get a definite date. I was told a few weeks ago that unless they decide to have a show about the election (which is a strong possibility), the childbirth show will air at the end of Sept. or beginning of Oct. This Friday there's a presidential debate just before 20/20 airs, so it wouldn't surprise me if they had something related to this. And actually I wouldn't mind if they postponed the childbirth show until after the political stuff dies down, and people are starting to get bored!

In other news, I got a letter on Friday from a producer at the Discovery Health Channel saying they bought "Outlaw Births" and will be airing it in the US (and possibly elsewhere)! I believe they're retitling it, and will also have a new narration. The producer wanted to check with me about several "facts" that were presented in the program to see if they were indeed facts. Some were and some weren't.

For instance, at the end of the program the narrator says, "For Laura Shanley the responsibility rests on the medical community to offer a different kind of support to women." They follow this with a clip of me saying that doctors, midwives and doulas can help women to believe in themselves. Yes, I said this because a producer (who was off-camera) had asked me, "What can doctors, midwives and doulas do to help women?"

But I would never say that "the responsibility rests on the medical community," because my focus has always been on women. It would be great if the medical community were more responsive - to the women that want/need them - but I believe each woman is responsible for her own birth. So I told him that I didn't agree with the narrator's statement. Hopefully he'll change it. To me the statement is in keeping with the idea that the UC movement is simply a response to the over-medicalization of birth, and that if we had better doctors and midwives, no one would want a UC. This just isn't true.

Laura

YEAH!!!!!!!!!! huge cheers! love discovery health!

wife since 1992; mom to: J 7-95; H 5-98; C 2-03; S 4-05; Micah Zachary born still UC 4-08; UM 9-08; due June 2010
#77 of 77 Old 09-24-2008, 11:47 AM

Quote:

Laura
Can't wait to see it!

nak.gif Mommy to fencing.gifKai 2/03, hammer.gifCaden 1/08, energy.gif Kara 10/09, angel1.gif 3/21/13, &

rainbow1284.gif baby.gif  Cole 2/3/14 ♡ Happily unmarried to geek.gif Papa since 2002 ♡

~We may not have it all together  but together we have it all~ uc.jpgsaynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactivist.giflactivist.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page