Outlaw Births UC documentary...we have a date! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-02-2008, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The name of the documentary which will include my birth, several others, and footage from a freebirth gathering at Laura Shanley's home in Boulder will be "Outlaw Births," to reflect how unassisted birthers feel shunned by the establishment as many participating in the documentary expressed. I understand that line of thinking, although I think the title might be misleading--implying that freebirth is mindless rebellion or, worse, something illegal when it is not. They said they didn't want to call it "Freebirth" because people wouldn't want to know that is, which I guess means it wasn't a catchy title.

In any case, it is finished, and it is going to screen sometime in July. I've been asked to be available for press releases, which is neat, and they seem to intend to promote it a lot. I hope it will shed some light on UC for the whole world, presenting it from an unbiased point of view at the very least and hopefully a positive one. I will let you know the final date when it's set, and I will certainly tell you how it is once I get the chance to view it. I'm following up with the producers right now and will keep you posted!

fambedsingle2.gif Heather, 25, single mom to Corbin, 5, and Orin, 3  uc.jpg  delayedvax.gif  nocirc.gif
Oh how I miss the days of femalesling.GIF  nak.gifcd.gif  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2008, 12:02 AM

Awesome! Wish it would come out before I was due so I could share w/ family but can't wait anyhow!

Sunny coolshine.gif: gun toting, retired breastfeeding, car seat loving, guitar playing, home birthing and schooling mama to Jakob (10.06), Mikah (07.08) and Korah (07.11). uc.jpg 

Old 06-03-2008, 06:27 PM

I'd love to see that! What are the odds of you doing a screening in Alaska? BOBB did really well, so I think there's a market up here- and in the US in general- for the idea of a different kind of birth.

Good for you!

Kristi wife to Mal , mom to Ziva (4/07) (3/08) Aliyah (1/09) and somebody new (edd 11/10). I
Old 06-03-2008, 10:32 PM

The documentary is only scheduled to air in the UK at this point. It's very possible that eventually it will be shown elsewhere, but it might not happen this year. Hopefully it will be good! Of the 8 pregnant women who were interviewed for the documentary, all 8 went on to give birth unassisted! Footage from several of the births will be shown, along with footage from my first UC thirty (!!) years ago.
Laura
Old 06-04-2008, 01:05 AM

A friend of mine in the UK just reminded me that she was interviewed also, so that makes 9 pregnant women who were interviewed for the program. For those who are interested, here's a little more info. Since I'm not sure how public all the women want to be, I'm using initials.

Heather - second baby, first UC
H - first baby
K - second baby, second UC
J - second baby, first UC, considered "high risk" due to epilepsy
S - third baby, second UC
C - second baby, first UC
D - third baby, second UC
C - second baby, first UC
C - the only information I have is that she had a UC

Another woman who was my age was also interviewed about her UBAC 10 years ago, and I spoke about several of my births.

Of the 9 women who gave birth this past year, there were no transfers for either mother or baby during labor. One woman was concerned that the placenta was taking too long, so she went to the hospital and had it manually removed. Another woman tore and decided to get stitches. Pretty good stats, I'd say!
Laura
Old 06-04-2008, 07:04 AM

Sounds fabulous!! If they aren't going to show it in the U.S. is there any way for people here to get a copy of it? I can't wait!!
Old 06-04-2008, 09:43 AM

The title makes me wince a little, but I'd love to see it sometime!
Old 06-04-2008, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

I don't mind confessing that I'm the placenta girl. *giggles*

fambedsingle2.gif Heather, 25, single mom to Corbin, 5, and Orin, 3  uc.jpg  delayedvax.gif  nocirc.gif
Old 06-04-2008, 11:30 AM

I'm also very interested in how to see it in the US!

-Kristi
Old 06-04-2008, 01:18 PM

Will it be availabe via DVD for us in the US?
Old 06-04-2008, 02:07 PM

I can help with getting copies to people who want to see it, but I'd need reminding of dates and times nearer the time.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:15 PM

I wrote to one of the producers and asked about the likelyhood of it airing outside the UK. I think she's going to look into it. As far as film fesitivals, she said she didn't think it would be the sort of film that festival organizers would be interested in, but I told her I thought they might. The Baby! Film Festival always seems to be looking for new and interesting films, and they've showed "A Clear Road to Birth" so I know they're open to UC. I also told her that I thought people would be willing to buy a DVD of the film if it were made available. I'll post any info I get here.

As far as the UK, it will be airing on Channel Five, hopefully in July - http://www.five.tv/. The film is an ITV production - http://www.itv.com.
Laura
Old 06-04-2008, 06:24 PM

I would so love to see this! I'm actually kind of surprized they they aren't planning viewings here in the US, considering all the press and and interest with BOBB.

Maybe someday I'll get in on one of these documentaries....I feel like with 4 UCs I've got a lot to contribute. I guess I'm just afraid I'll come off like a bumbling idiot in person!

I'm really glad that there were several woman interviewed who had their first babies unassisted!

~Kat

treehugger.gif Kat- mama to 6 little trees
Old 06-04-2008, 06:27 PM

nak
I cant say that I care much for the title, but I would want to see that.

Heather Mike Married 8/1/99 Mom to Charlotte Aug 04, Nov 06, and Katherine Oct 07
Old 06-04-2008, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajahkat View Post
I would so love to see this! I'm actually kind of surprized they they aren't planning viewings here in the US, considering all the press and and interest with BOBB.

Maybe someday I'll get in on one of these documentaries....I feel like with 4 UCs I've got a lot to contribute. I guess I'm just afraid I'll come off like a bumbling idiot in person!
I told the producer today that I think in the months and years to come there's going to be a lot of interest in homebirth/UC! I mentioned Ricki Lake, the new film "Orgasmic Birth," and the upcoming "20/20" show. So hopefully they'll consider distributing the film more widely.

Kat - I'm sure there will be more opportunities to share your thoughts with the media. I have a file of "UCer's willing to talk to the media" so if you (or anyone else) wants to be involved please email me.

As far as being nervous, I've struggled with this. Simply being on camera has been an issue for me. As much as I've told myself that I accept myself as I am, I still worry about how I look, let alone how I sound. As I think I've mentioned before, when it comes to being confident about how I look, one of my biggest inspirations is Michael Moore. If this man can feel confident being on camera, surely I can!

In the UK documentary I felt fairly relaxed when I was talking. But I was nervous when "20/20" interviewed me. I stumbled over my words at times, and said things that I later regretted (although nothing too major). David thought I did fine. I guess we'll see! Essentially I tell myself that I don't have to convince anyone of the safety or "rightness" of UC. I just have to share my story (and actually I don't "have" to do that, I want to).
Laura
Old 06-04-2008, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurashanley View Post
I told the producer today that I think in the months and years to come there's going to be a lot of interest in homebirth/UC! I mentioned Ricki Lake, the new film "Orgasmic Birth," and the upcoming "20/20" show. So hopefully they'll consider distributing the film more widely.

Kat - I'm sure there will be more opportunities to share your thoughts with the media. I have a file of "UCer's willing to talk to the media" so if you (or anyone else) wants to be involved please email me.

As far as being nervous, I've struggled with this. Simply being on camera has been an issue for me. As much as I've told myself that I accept myself as I am, I still worry about how I look, let alone how I sound. As I think I've mentioned before, when it comes to being confident about how I look, one of my biggest inspirations is Michael Moore. If this man can feel confident being on camera, surely I can!

In the UK documentary I felt fairly relaxed when I was talking. But I was nervous when "20/20" interviewed me. I stumbled over my words at times, and said things that I later regretted (although nothing too major). David thought I did fine. I guess we'll see! Essentially I tell myself that I don't have to convince anyone of the safety or "rightness" of UC. I just have to share my story (and actually I don't "have" to do that, I want to).
Laura
I agree that there seems to be more openness and interest in UC. When I planned the UC of my firstborn all I heard was how crazy I was. Now, with baby #2 on the way I'm actually running to people here and there who've said, "I did that," or "I'd like to do that!" It's really encouraging.

And fwiw, I've always been impressed with you everytime I've seen you interviewed, Laura! You've really put a friendly, normal personable face on UC and I think that's really brough acceptance and understanding.

Kristi wife to Mal , mom to Ziva (4/07) (3/08) Aliyah (1/09) and somebody new (edd 11/10). I
Old 06-04-2008, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

I worry about what I may have said on screen, too. All we can do at any moment is our best though, and that's what I attempted to do. It's the same when I write something; once it goes live, I can't take it back, and sometimes I wish I could.

The film was comissioned by a British TV station, and that is why it won't be available in the US anytime soon. I do think there could be a lot of interest for it here, and I hope at the least a DVD will be available someday. But because of the station it was made for, it was filmed and formatted a certain way, and that may be why they doubt it would be good for a film festival screening. It is probably very matter of fact like other made-for-TV documentaries.

Old 06-05-2008, 02:31 AM

When is 20/20 doing a show on uc??? I love that show now i love it even more!!
Old 06-05-2008, 10:42 AM

This sounds like a great documentary, I hope we will be able to see it stateside!

Kristen, Loving my family heartbeat.gif Sweet DH, C 11, A 9, B 7, G 4, H 1, C newbie!
2ndtri.gif Free Healthy Pregnancy & Natural Birth Series, click here!

Old 06-05-2008, 10:49 AM

I like the title. I feel like it captures what I did which was hire an illegal midwife and said screw off to my OB (in a nice way). I was a bit scared that she might try to get a court order to c/s me because I'd had 2 and also have a unicornuate uterus.

I think it possibly suggests misbehavior (as though there is a law about giving birth and you're breaking it) but for me it really captures what women feel they must do sometimes.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:22 PM

Thanks, Kristi!!

Icesk8 - the 20/20 childbirth show is tentatively scheduled for the end of June. I'll post info here when I know for sure. There will be segments on UC, homebirth with midwives, and orgasmic birth. Ina May Gaskin, Ricki Lake, Christiane Northrup and others (me and my daughter Joy!) were interviewed.
Laura
Old 06-05-2008, 04:45 PM

:

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
Old 06-05-2008, 05:40 PM

I wanna see it. Hopefully there will be a link here in July? :
Old 06-05-2008, 07:51 PM

Laura,
A lot of ICAN and doula groups would want to see or own the movie.

Ricki Lake's movie got publicity from private group screenings, and Orgasmic Birth is being shown on June 26 at a local YMCA on Long Island, NY and open to the public and they have a bunch of screenings all around the country for local birth / parent related groups.

BTW/ I have seen you on screen and you sound terrific, smart, well informed and without a silly agenda "selling" UC to anyone! You're a wonderful ambassador and educator about UC !

I think the issue is always how they edit the TV interviews. Now that is an uncontrollable part, they can make a Nobel Laurette look like an idiot in the editing process or manipulate your words to fit the hosts or TV show point of view and agenda.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:36 PM

Thanks, dewi! That would be nice if there was interest in the film from ICAN and doula groups (assuming the film is decent)! One thing that's different about UC films (as opposed to "BOBB" or "Orgasmic Birth") is that they don't always have the support or interest of groups that are primarily comprised of doulas or midwives. ICAN groups might be interested, though. I know there are quite a few midwives and doulas who DO support UC, but many feel it's dangerous and/or could negatively affect their incomes.
Laura
Old 06-06-2008, 08:37 PM

Laura
Years ago (early 1990's ??) I purchased a few of your books and many back issues of those newsletters. I can not remember how I found you but it was before the Internet. Maybe from Complete Mother? I was so intrigued because it all rang true what you wrote, and I already knew I was done having children.

I donated all of it to my local ICAN chapter library. I made every pregnant doula friend or women having a VBAC or HB read your book! I made everyone crazy.
Most thought it was all brilliant, others were dumbfounded by the idea to be alone.

What I wanted people who did not think unassisted free birthing was for them (most people are in that category) , is that as a mammal they could be by themselves and could trust birth. It is there for them and no matter who is attending the birth they MUST find that inner peace and confidence to trust their body to work normally, not the doctor, hospital, doula or a midwife can gave any birthing women that gift it is for them to find on their own.
Your book shows them in the most unpreachy respectful kind way how to find themselves to give birth normally no matter who is attending them.

In that sense you are the truest of "childbirth" educators.

This is why Freebirths are so important to mainstream and if presented that way all can learn. As a feminist I think woman need to understand they can birth their own baby, what better way then reading and seeing women do on their own. We then still have all our choices to suit our won life and fit into what is right for them, but there are many lessons to be learned from you my dear!
Old 06-06-2008, 09:10 PM

:

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

Old 06-07-2008, 02:30 PM

That's so sweet of you to say, dewi. Sometimes the criticism I (and I'm sure many UCer's/homebirthers) endure feels overwhelming, so it really helps to hear something positive.
Laura
Old 06-08-2008, 01:19 AM - Thread Starter

I haven't faced much criticism personally yet, but I see it all over the place. I try to just ignore it, but sometimes it's hard. I really opened myself up to criticism by participating in the film, and I have to admit I am nervous about handling it. But, it is worth it to me to educate and enlighten people, to try to open their minds and show them another way, to at least let them see that birth can be beautiful and normal and not a medical emergency.

Old 06-09-2008, 12:47 AM

hee hee I probably look silly on film. i was so sick that whole month and then my accent! lol glad to hear it will air though.

User Tag List