Anyone unassisted after one or more cesareans? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 06-18-2008, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey ladies

I've been feeling the pull to UC for awhile now. The first dream I had after I gave birth to my ds was me giving birth alone and catching him myself and feeling so empowered.

I have a dd born by c-birth almost 4 years ago(hospital birth, unexpected frank breech=automatic section), then my ds was born 1 1/2 years ago I was already in the hospital for pre-e for a month. They took him at 36 weeks by c-birth, he was also breech at the time.

I really want to have another baby, but I want everything to be different. I don't even want pre-natal checkups/tests. If everything feels good I want to go unassisted. I'm normally quite healthy and believe my body can do this. Anyone else UC with such 'odds' stacked against her?

Jenny
#2 of 23 Old 06-18-2008, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
DS was born 3 1/2 years ago by C-section. DH and I are trying for #2 and I am definitely planning a UP/UC. I went to Planned Parenthood the other day to get my IUD out and so totally confused the nurse practitioner. She said I was obviously very educated, then admonished me to "Just be careful about that scar on your uterus." I couldn't help but laugh and remind her that I won't have Pitocin or Cytotec in my system and my chances for a UR are slim to none.

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#3 of 23 Old 06-19-2008, 03:12 AM

An online "idol" of mine had her first with a midwife, transfer to a birthing centre after a very long labor, but still natural. Her second was a planned unassisted, turned into an emergency c-section (against her wishes) at 32 weeks, her son only lived 15 minutes as he had a genetic defect. Just 11 months later, she had her second son, unassisted in her bathtub, with daddy looking on. He weighed almost 10lbs.
It can absolutely be done.

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#4 of 23 Old 06-19-2008, 03:49 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your responses. It's good to hear that others have done it and come out ok

Minkajane, isn't it so frusterating when that same old line is brought up? She said it in such a scare tactic way. With my ds, before I was hospitalized I was seeing my family doc and an ob(cause I was 'high risk' from previous section, and no midwife available). They fed me the same stuff about risk of uterine rupture and I'd need to be in the hospital early on to be monitered. This time I can't imagine going anywhere near a hospital or dr.

Jeninejessica, it must've been such a healing birth for your friend. She was so strong. I feel I have so much riding on this one, I hope and pray for such a story as hers. Beautiful

Jenny
#5 of 23 Old 06-19-2008, 11:41 AM

There are quite a few UC after C-birth stories here: http://www.unassistedchildbirth.com/ucstories/

It's a WONDERFUL site if you haven't checked it out yet.

Spark and her four firecrackers.
#6 of 23 Old 06-20-2008, 01:33 AM

During my time on MDC, I have read a few threads about (or including) UC after C-Sections. If I get pregnant again, I am definitely shooting for UC. I only had one C-sec but two vaginal births after that. Some posters have stated that you can UC after 4+ C-secs.
#7 of 23 Old 06-21-2008, 03:05 AM - Thread Starter

Spark, I've been reading birth stories from that site. They are so inspiring and I can only read a few at a time because I get all puddly:P

I'm glad to hear others are planning to UC after C-births. I wish I knew someone to help me through this though! Just to show me I'm not crazily insane to want this. I know I can do it, I want to do it more than I think I've wanted anything!

Jenny
#8 of 23 Old 06-21-2008, 09:03 AM

I had a UBAC!

First I had an HBAC, though. I wasn't ready to freebirth with my second child, but by the third I was mentally and spiritually prepared for it.

Even with my HBAC I looked at the true risks of a homebirth versus a hospital birth and we decided it was safer at home.

My UBAC birth story is available here.
#9 of 23 Old 06-21-2008, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeninejessica View Post
An online "idol" of mine had her first with a midwife, transfer to a birthing centre after a very long labor, but still natural. Her second was a planned unassisted, turned into an emergency c-section (against her wishes) at 32 weeks, her son only lived 15 minutes as he had a genetic defect. Just 11 months later, she had her second son, unassisted in her bathtub, with daddy looking on. He weighed almost 10lbs.
It can absolutely be done.
Her birth story is so inspiring and wonderful. It's posted here somewhere...
#10 of 23 Old 06-21-2008, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

KariM, I just read your birth story. How beautiful and empowering! Thank you for sharing

Does anyone know how I can find the amazing story you all have been telling me about? That would be great. I love reading about other UBAC's, it is so inspiring.

We haven't conceived our third yet, it usually is a pretty quick process for us though:P And right now we are not using anything to prevent(still frequently nursing though). I have just started introducing this idea to my dh and he is so not on board. He knows how important it is to me though, I think he'll come around. I can't imagine giving birth any other way, I feel so sure that this is the right way to go.

Jenny
#11 of 23 Old 06-21-2008, 08:19 PM

#12 of 23 Old 06-24-2008, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you Changed!!
#13 of 23 Old 06-24-2008, 02:34 PM

Of course you can do it

I did! And it's very empowering.
I really wanted a UC with my first but I didn't know anyone actually *did* that. I had a midwife and planned for a homebirth, BUT all the reasons I wanted a UC held everything up and I ended up with a C/S.

18 months later, to the very day, I had my second son at home with just DH there "to keep him from bouncing" as he likes to tell people
I had a midwife (same one as before) for prenatal care, although I did space my appointments out. If nothing else it was nice to have someone to talk pregnancy with and avoid all the dreaded paperwork.
It was also nice to have her to call afterwards to put in a few stitches and for post-partum care.

Having prior C/S's is no reason to NOT UC

DH and I - totally winging life with our four children, DS1 (6.5yrs), DS2 (5yrs), DD (3yrs) and DS3 (1)!

#14 of 23 Old 06-25-2008, 04:21 AM

I had a c-sec 19 years ago. (That baby is now having a baby and just joined MDC)

I had a homebirth with a totally hands-off midwife 17 years ago.

A UC 10 years ago.

A UC 19 months ago.

#15 of 23 Old 06-25-2008, 05:06 AM

I had a UBAC last may. It was also my first homebirth.
I posted my story here, not sure how to find it though. It was after may 9th, 2007
#16 of 23 Old 06-25-2008, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
havn't UC'd yet, but will be this time and Ive had 2 c-secs, 1hba2c and now a UCa2c!!!
#17 of 23 Old 06-26-2008, 12:09 AM

My sil had a c/s, an hbac, and a ubac and isplanning her 2nd ubac around September.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#18 of 23 Old 06-26-2008, 01:02 AM

:

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#19 of 23 Old 06-27-2008, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for sharing with me and encouraging me! It's great to know others have gone before me, I'm not out of my head to want this.

I can't imagine birthing any other way. I'm in Canada and it's really hard to get a midwife here, there is a serious shortage. Plus they have really strict rules to follow now that midwifery is regulated in my province. I get the impression from other moms here that they are very 'hands on.' It's possible that since I've already had two c-births they wouldn't take me.

I'm no way able to go anywhere near a hospital again. My last experience was not good. I still feel like healing needs to happen before I attempt my UP/UC.

For those of you who UC'd or are planning a UC, what does your partner/family/friends think?

Jenny
#20 of 23 Old 06-28-2008, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunaria View Post
My last experience was not good. I still feel like healing needs to happen before I attempt my UP/UC.
Jenny
Have you tried the book, Birthing From Within? I found it to be the best book I've found so far in dealing with traumatic births. I understand that following births go so much better if you have worked through the fears you learned in not-so-good birthings. I highly recommend it (I've gone through it at least once and a half).

As for your question, I'm not pg now but my dh and I have talked about it. He's all for UC, though I think he'd really like to witness it and I'd prefer being totally alone (I'll probably let my daughters be there if they are quiet - one requested it so she'd know what birth was like).
#21 of 23 Old 06-30-2008, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunaria View Post
For those of you who UC'd or are planning a UC, what does your partner/family/friends think?
It took my partner a few weeks to get on board with the idea. He really liked the idea of having a midwife around. I'm not sure what all his fears were, but a comment from me finally convinced him that it wasn't his decision.

I was frustrated riding home in the car with him after a visit to the midwife's office and I said, "I'm so tired of other people's fears controlling the way my body births." He got it.

My comment was directed both at midwives we had seen who seemed to fear something - whether it was a bad rep with doctors, lawsuits, who knows - and at my husband.

I also convinced him through my thoughts and actions that I was the one responsible and would not need him to birth the baby.

As for family, well....other than my sister no one knew until after Meghan was born that we were planning a UC. We let them assume we'd be working with a midwife again and planning a homebirth.

Afterwards my brother was convinced I was deranged and proceeded to tell me so - on the phone an HOUR after I had birthed Meghan! I told him I'd be happy to discuss his opinions in a day or so, but I had just birthed a baby and really needed to spend time with her not debating birth choices.
#22 of 23 Old 07-04-2008, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

I have the book Birthing from Within It is a great book and I've been reading bits of it but haven't worked through it yet. I know I need to, and I'm glad to hear it's actually helped other women. I have a lot of stuff to process for sure.

I told my dh (lovingly) that if he doesn't feel he can positively deal with me giving birth Unassisted, then he will have to find himself somewhere else. As for other people, I don't know how I'd keep this from my parents and my ils. They both like to know everything about it all and I would have to outright lie. I think my parents are more likely to accept my decision, my ils wouldn't! I don't like lying. I guess I'll figure it out when I get there, eh?

Jenny
#23 of 23 Old 07-10-2008, 05:09 AM

'Rebounding From Childbirth' is another good one.

I had a UBAC and a few months later an on-line friend of mine had a UBA2C.

Here's my story:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=386256

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page