The 16 Contraction Birth Story... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 06-23-2008, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's taken a bit to figure out a name and get some pictures downloaded... but we did it (and feel quite successful @ that small accomplishment - laugh!).

Our daughter, Jade Louise, was born Sunday June 22nd (on her due date!) @ 3:20am after an hour and six minutes of labor.

Labor started at 2:14 with the first contraction (that woke me). It had a stronger twinge than the contractions before this one did, but while it made me widen my eyes in a bit of surprise, I just waited... thinking maybe that was it. 11 minutes later I got another one... just as strong and had to concentrate to breathe - stronger now...

I flipped onto my hands and knees and sat quietly... 5 min. later another... stronger now again... I rocked, breathed, quiet and serene in my heart. I remembered that these were the last sensations I would share with my baby in this way. Again, I waited... 3 minutes passed and another, stronger still.

Breathing was working well but I needed to brush my teeth to freshen my breathe so I quickly climbed out of bed and made it about 10 steps before having another contraction... longer and still very strong from the start... I twisted my feet and swayed hanging onto the edge of the couch, not able to stand still. Finally it passed and I quickly made my way up the stairs - I quickly went to the bathroom and had a contraction there that took my breath away. I made the decision to check myself right away and felt at least 6 inches of bag and baby (oh my goshhhh!). I stomped on the floor to get my DH to come upstairs ASAP (he needed to call our doula and back-up MW - she is 2 hours away!). I had another contraction hanging onto the bathroom counter that absolutely made me gasp.

Ohhhhhh, things were getting intense!! I got onto my hands and knees with my head to the floor on a hand towel (whatever I could grab) and I breathed and swayed through another contraction (this is contraction #7) as best I could, but I was struggling to hold onto my sense of calm as the intensity and pressure just increased with each one. Evan came upstairs, washed his hands in the biggest hurry at my demand and felt the baby just 1/4 inch inside.

He called our doula (she is 15 min. away) and called our back-up MW immediately after... all the while I had two contractions and he pushed on my back where I told him (wow, it helped!), I started shaking uncontrollably, and after the second contraction while he was on the phone with the MW I said the f-word a few times and said, "There is no way in hel! that she's going to make it Babe!!" and immediately after realizing and saying that another contraction hit that no amount of pushing from him, adjusting his hands from me, or trying to crawl away from the pain did crap. Oh. My. Gosh.

I cried for a moment realizing the pressure and intensity that I was feeling RIGHT NOW meant in minutes we would be done. OH My GOSH...

I told Evan to fill the bathtub and get the shower curtain up NOW. I climbed over (still on my hands and knees and STILL having not brushed my teeth ) and enjoyed the bit of pause I felt from the last contraction... I'd stopped shaking...

I had contraction #11 and felt the pressure build - I half way pushed and felt it increase... but I was so loud and out of control sounding I was scaring myself (sigh) so I decided that was enough of that my dear, and turned it inward... quiet now I felt more in control, not as scared. The water running into the tub was strangely soothing but not high enough to give much relief, but it still helped. Next contraction I felt the pressure move down and knew it was soon - Evan set up the video camera and then left again (not sure what he was doing? Opening the door in case our doula made it?). Another contraction and I pushed, feeling it move from somewhat voluntary (as it relieved the pressure) to totally involuntary... the bag expanded in my hand to be as big as my palm and I blew out the rest of the push... I don't want to tear... slow it down... not all at once...

Evan was back in the bathroom and I asked him if he could see the bag, he said yes, but the water was not high enough (well, I couldn't get low enough without being in too much pain) to have the baby all the way in the water so I told him he was going to have to catch.

Next contraction hit and I pushed - WOAH the intensity!!!!! I just pushed... and I heard him say, "The head is out!!"... I'm thinking that wasn't hard or long enough to have been the head... so I ask, "the WHOLE head??"... "Yes! The bag is over the head still... (I could tell he was a little concerned). I told him, "We'll be ok, don't worry"... and while I'm waiting I feel him push the baby up - "Don't do that Hon!!" "Don't touch the baby!" (Of all the uncomfortable feelings, having a baby part in and part out and moving them is one of the biggest ones )... he says he's not doing it... baby is moving.

Next contraction and not a lot of resolve, baby hasn't turned either... I lift my left leg at Evan's suggestion and I feel baby make a strong movement, contraction on top of that one and I felt something give and the whole baby came out! I flipped over quickly and saw very obviously - LITTLE GIRL!!!

We lifted the bag up over her body and face so she could breathe, she made one squeak and went to quietly breathing and pinking up in my arms and the warm water...

PURE BLISS... Oh my gosh!!!
Our doula arrived 20 min. later...

She weighed 9lb 1oz (the next afternoon) and was 21.5 inches long. She is nursing great and fully has her Daddy around her finger (and her Papa), well, okay, we all are if I'm going to be totally honest.

It's amazing having a little lady here (we thought it might be a little girl, but what a great surprise that we were right!!), we're totally not used to it at ALL, but she's a cutie, I'm sure we won't complain about all that a little girl brings into the family.

She doesn't fit her newborn diapers yet... but hopefully soon!!!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3147/...04e79f45a8.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3296/...9752d924b4.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3100/...567780086d.jpg

Mama to 4 amazing little people, another little expected 3/6/12!
Avid Unassisted Birth supporter/Mama

#2 of 30 Old 06-23-2008, 11:20 PM

What a beautiful baby and story! Congratulations!
#3 of 30 Old 06-23-2008, 11:27 PM

Congrats! what an amazing story . Jade is beautiful

Mommy to DS1 5/07 and DS2 1/09 , wife to an awesome hubby. And someone new coming in March!
#4 of 30 Old 06-24-2008, 12:10 AM

Awwww... What a cutie! Congratulations! What an exciting birth story!
#5 of 30 Old 06-24-2008, 02:53 AM

Wow.

I know first hand how totally intense it is to have a birth that fast, I'm in awe that you had it togeher enough to count your contractions!

Congratulations on an amazing birth.
Welcome to the world Jade
#6 of 30 Old 06-24-2008, 02:58 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Well begun is half done; congratulations on your new baby!

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#7 of 30 Old 06-24-2008, 03:00 AM

Amazing story!! Congratulations! She is beautiful!

Mama to DD 9.06 / DD 1.09 and DS 6.10 born at home
#8 of 30 Old 06-24-2008, 04:18 AM

She's GORGEOUS! I absolutely love all of those pictures. She looks so alert and just perfect in that second picture, and the 3rd with her daddy? Heart melty!

Congrats again, what a wonderful birth story!
#9 of 30 Old 06-24-2008, 10:03 AM

Wow, it's so cool to read that after having just gone through labor myself--it's so "relatable" on a completely different level!

I love the picture of your dh, in all his tats and his chopper shirt (like my dh) looking so endearingly at his precious little girl. The contrast is heart melting.

Midwife apprentice and mama to 6, including three UC babies: Jude River, 06/04/08, Alora Wren Isolde, 9/27/10, and our newest addition, Ailish Brynn Elspeth, 6/12/14!
#10 of 30 Old 06-24-2008, 10:59 AM

Oh she reminds me so much of my dd at birth What a doll! What a story! Congratulations!!
#11 of 30 Old 06-24-2008, 12:16 PM

Oh, my goodness! That is an amazing birth story!!! Oh, BirthFree! Oh, I'm soooo thankful you posted such a beautiful story!

What a GORGEOUS babe! That first picture needs to be framed and hung up! GORGEOUS!!!

Wishing you a beautiful blissful babymoon!

YAY!!! I'm sooo happy for you!!!

Spark and her four firecrackers.
#12 of 30 Old 06-24-2008, 12:54 PM

wow! what an amazing story! congrats!
#13 of 30 Old 06-24-2008, 01:35 PM

Wow! You were amazing! She is beautiful. When I was looking at her pics, she just looks like she couldn't wait to join your family. So happy and excited to be here. Congrats!

Julie- living and learning with dh A and dc M (00), A (02), J (02), J (05), A (06), B (07), S (08), ? (10)
#14 of 30 Old 06-24-2008, 03:21 PM

Am I the only concern that you gave birth with dirty teeth?!!?

What a beautiful story and the pictures just show how perfect she is. I love the name Jade! Congrats!

Getting back into the groove of being groovy!
#15 of 30 Old 06-24-2008, 03:30 PM

oh, what a cutie. she is going to LOVE hearing her birth story later!

that photo with her papa is unbearably sweet.
#16 of 30 Old 06-24-2008, 03:42 PM

Wow, great story! And she is so beautiful!
#17 of 30 Old 06-24-2008, 03:49 PM

amazing story !!! thanks for sharing and your baby girl is beautiful !!!
#18 of 30 Old 06-24-2008, 04:06 PM

Congratulations!! Great story, lovely name and gorgeous baby!!
Laura
#19 of 30 Old 06-24-2008, 04:08 PM

Congratulations!! She's beautiful!!!!

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#20 of 30 Old 06-24-2008, 04:20 PM

Congratulations!

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#21 of 30 Old 06-24-2008, 04:23 PM

wow! that's awesome! You are a birthing goddess; 16 contractions!!! Thanks for sharing the pictures, your baby is gorgeous, and your husbands pretty cute too.
#22 of 30 Old 06-26-2008, 03:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
More congrats coming your way! Thanks so much for sharing your story and pics. OMG she is SO Cute!!

Former Nanny Extraordinaire, looking forward to being a Mama! treehugger.gif I love Organizing & being a Health & Wellness Coach eat.gif & I'm crunchy granola as long as it's organic and certified gluten free. GF since March '08 yummy.gif. Willoughby Nov '11  cat.gif TTC #1-still, again, some more, & seriously pondering adoption. 
#23 of 30 Old 06-26-2008, 07:53 AM

What an amazing birth story, and a gorgeous baby!

Congratulations!
#24 of 30 Old 06-26-2008, 08:41 PM

Oh. My. Gosh. What a beautiful baby girl you guys made! And what an amazing story! Congratulations!

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

#25 of 30 Old 06-26-2008, 10:21 PM

Congrats and OMG what a gorgeous little girl!

On a funnier note, I think I just found my husband's doppelganger
#26 of 30 Old 06-28-2008, 12:36 PM

What a beautiful baby and a wonderful birth!!! You make me excited for January to get here! lol

Momma to DS1 4/5/06 nursed with IGT to self-weaning at 27 months, DS2 1/20/09 still nursing, DS3 due late November - planning to tandem with IGT and SNS
#27 of 30 Old 06-28-2008, 10:00 PM

Amazing story! Congratulations!

I love love love the name Jade.

~ Colleen ~ Joyful Unschooling Pagan mama to hearts.gifenergy.gifsuperhero.gifjog.gif and babyf.gif
"When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead."
#28 of 30 Old 06-28-2008, 11:40 PM

that is amazing, i can't imagine how intense that was for you!! congrats mama, she's beautiful
#29 of 30 Old 06-30-2008, 11:01 PM

amazing. she is fabulous!
#30 of 30 Old 07-01-2008, 01:24 PM

What a beautiful babe! You did an amazing job. Please send some of those 16-contraction labour vibes this way!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page