UC ruined by nosy neighbor *update #56, #74, #134, #160, #204, #219(long)* - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-16-2008, 01:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Equuskia View Post
I remember cringing when my ob would walk into the office from the hospital wearing the scrubs he used there, complete with head cover and shoe covers. You know, the same scrubs that have been in contact with who knows what, and he walks into an office full of pregnant women. Yeah, real safe. Ick.
Yeah, that always freaks me out. I used to work in 2 hospitals and I saw people doing that all the time.

I am so sorry for what happened to you. That is unexcusable. I am really outraged.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2008, 04:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Tears for you... and I thought I was cheated because I didn't have my midwife, but a backup instead that didn't support my desire to give birth to my daughter in the water.

Are you really in Puerto Rico? God, I can't imagine.

I can't even read all the posts.. I'm sure I speak for all of us here when I say let us know if there is anything we can do to help.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:35 PM

My wife asked me to post the following pictures. Right now, she seems to be suffering from some kind of depression brought on by everything that has happened so she's not of sound mind enough to post them. They're representative of some of the damage the hospital has done to our baby. Some of these photos are rather large.

The following pictures were taken on Sunday, July 13th.
http://www.dbspr.com/lunafoot.jpg
http://www.dbspr.com/lunahand1.jpg
http://www.dbspr.com/lunahand2.jpg

This photo was taken today.
http://www.dbspr.com/lunanavel.jpg
Old 07-16-2008, 08:41 PM

I have been following your story and am sharing in your anger. You have a beautiful healthy baby and may your family find peace.

, , , , , to DD1 (4.5 years old) and DD2 (7 months) and 2
Old 07-16-2008, 09:41 PM

When DD was born the hospital wanted to "draw some blood" to do cultures because my water had been broken for nearly 48hrs by the time she was born. I agreed, not realizing that both of DD's hands and the top of one of her feet would be bruised for days. I was pretty upset about all the bruising.

I am so sorry you are continuing to have to deal with this. Thank God your precious Luna is home and safe with you.

I am lifting your family up in prayer.

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

Old 07-17-2008, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naupakamama View Post

I have been following your story and am sharing in your anger.
me too I really hope you guys can find peace in the end of the tunnel, keep us updated...

Bendiciones...

Latina Mama of 3 and Wife of a great man since 1997
: : : : : : :
Old 07-17-2008, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodtveidt View Post
My wife asked me to post the following pictures. Right now, she seems to be suffering from some kind of depression brought on by everything that has happened so she's not of sound mind enough to post them. They're representative of some of the damage the hospital has done to our baby. Some of these photos are rather large.

The following pictures were taken on Sunday, July 13th.
http://www.dbspr.com/lunafoot.jpg
http://www.dbspr.com/lunahand1.jpg
http://www.dbspr.com/lunahand2.jpg

This photo was taken today.
http://www.dbspr.com/lunanavel.jpg
Her skin looks awfully dry. Or maybe over-hydrated from the IVs?

By the way, if you wouldn't mind, it might be nice to have a "very green and black" label on the navel picture. That was a bit startling.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:12 PM

I am so sorry your having to go through this. I hope you and your family are able to find some peace soon.

mama to my two girls 12/04 5/07 and #3 due in May/June
Old 07-17-2008, 01:40 PM

couldn't read all this and not post

beautiful name btw!

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

Old 07-17-2008, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Apparently, down here in PR, women who are druggies (and there are a LOT of them) have home births to avoid all the mess they'd get into if they went to the hospital to have their baby. So my thinking is that they simply assumed that my wife was a coked-out drug-slut. That assumption is going to cost them their ass.
Let's try to all remember that 'coked-out drug-sluts' are people too, and they wouldn't deserve this awful treatment any more than you and your family do.

I am a CPS survivor, and I want to testify that when we insist on creating people as 'other', that things like CPS abuse, medical fascism and holocausts happen.

That's been bothering me for two days now. Moving on.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:37 PM

I am sorry that your family has gone through so much. I wish you healing and peace in moving past this horrible ordeal.

Congrats on your beautiful daughter and I love her name!
Old 07-17-2008, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unoppressed MAMA Q View Post
Let's try to all remember that 'coked-out drug-sluts' are people too, and they wouldn't deserve this awful treatment any more than you and your family do.

I am a CPS survivor, and I want to testify that when we insist on creating people as 'other', that things like CPS abuse, medical fascism and holocausts happen.

I agree. This kind of treatment would not have been acceptable regardless of what kind of drug addict or whatever you guys could have been.

Single mom to E (2004) and D (2010)
Old 07-17-2008, 02:54 PM

I am so sorry this has happened to you! You are in my thoughts.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:20 PM

I have no words to describe how sorry and angry I feel for you. How stressful and utterly ridiculous.

Although I have no advice, I offer my thoughts and prayers.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
Her skin looks awfully dry. Or maybe over-hydrated from the IVs?

By the way, if you wouldn't mind, it might be nice to have a "very green and black" label on the navel picture. That was a bit startling.
She was in an incubator for two days, She was also hooked up to dextrose for 5 days almost continuously. She also doesn't seem to have lost any weight, in fact she seems heavier, probably due to the IV as well.

I'll tell my husband to edit the title of that picture. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unoppressed MAMA Q View Post

No person should ever have to endure mistreatment from a medical professional. What made my dh angry was the assumption that just because I chose to give birth at home, it meant I was a druggie and negligent parent. Never mind that I made an informed decision which I was able to articulate with ease to all the medical staff. They simply assumed I was crazy and must be hiding something.

Equuskia in with Nodtveidt DD1 : DD2 :
Old 07-19-2008, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

So I got the ER bill. $598.31. You bet I'll be asking for a detailed invoice. But I guess I shouldn't complain because it came with a certificate for a 30% discount if I pay in full before the due date. How generous.

Also, looking through the records, I noticed that dd's records are not complete. Either that or they are bad record keepers. The records don't even say what antibiotics were given. : There are also no nurse's notes, which is odd. I mean, aren't they supposed to record when she ate, pooped, puked, etc? I guess I'll have to go back and explain to them that when I mean everything, it's EVERYTHING.

sigh

Old 07-19-2008, 07:31 PM

I've been following this thread from the beginning. I'm so sorry for all that you've had to go through! I'm so glad that you little one is safe at home with you now!
Old 07-19-2008, 07:48 PM

Couldn't that be considered assault or something...forced antibiotics for no reason?
Old 07-19-2008, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheartedmama View Post
Couldn't that be considered assault or something...forced antibiotics for no reason?
Considering there's a law in PR that if you refuse the HIV test, your baby is taken away and given AZT until their HIV status is determined, I guess forced antibiotics is nothing to them. :

Old 07-21-2008, 04:00 AM

Quote:

Also, looking through the records, I noticed that dd's records are not complete. Either that or they are bad record keepers. The records don't even say what antibiotics were given. : There are also no nurse's notes, which is odd. I mean, aren't they supposed to record when she ate, pooped, puked, etc? I guess I'll have to go back and explain to them that when I mean everything, it's EVERYTHING.

sigh

I would mention this. At my local hospital here, you have to specifically request that hte nurses notes are included when you get your records, otherwise they are not given. but the meds should be listed

Lisa~Was Aspiring Midwife~Now-AAMI Midwifery Student #2020~Mama to Zackery 3/29/96, Drake 9/22/01, and Selina 10/26/03...and here was the link to my new blog
Old 07-21-2008, 09:41 AM

Old 07-21-2008, 10:09 AM

I just found this tonight, and have read through all of the thread.

to you Mama, and Papa too. What you were put through has brought tears to my eyes.

Reading Nodtveidt's posts brings tears of a different kind to my eyes. What a wonderful partner and father you sound to be.

I am so happy that your beautiful baby girl is back where she belongs, and so very sorry that she was ripped from you. Rhianna is gorgeous as well.

I do want to offer an opinion, based upon my second UC experience to a few points:

Quote:
Originally Posted by veronicalynne View Post
Again, this whole thing stinks of prejudice to me.....where do they get off thinking someone choosing a UC is going to be a druggie?????
Trust me, they do. After my first UC, we called a local midwife for advice and even she (homebirth only midwife) straight out told us that the only reason for a UC is to hide a drug habit and a drug addicted baby. In her own opinion. I was pretty aghast, I used to be an apprentice midwife, but this is how it is now apparently. After my second UC, which is detailed in the link, I was almost blatantly accused of being a druggie.

And on that note, I want to address the thought that "even coked out drug sluts deserve human treatment". While this is absolutely true, I think it overlooks the point that babies of promiscuous drug users should be subject to more testing than babies of women who are neither of those. When I got to the hospital after my last UC, my baby was still firmly attached to me. Yet it wasn't enough for them to test me for drugs, which I readily consented to, they also wanted to attach a urine bag to his tiny newborn penis. I refused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danaalex View Post
things sound CRAZY in puerto rico.

<snip>

in the states you could refuse to let them in your home if you didn't call them and refuse transfer and social services would not be knocking down your door the next day that is just so sad
This is not necessarily the case. Believe me, it happens in the states too.

Quote:
Apparently, down here in PR, women who are druggies (and there are a LOT of them) have home births to avoid all the mess they'd get into if they went to the hospital to have their baby. So my thinking is that they simply assumed that my wife was a coked-out drug-slut. That assumption is going to cost them their ass.
I sincerely hope that you go after them and that they have to pay dearly for the travesty that they caused to your family. But it is not specific to PR, I live in California (in an affluent area with no 'bad' areas in town) and I was subjected to this same assumption when I transferred right after my UC.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenVeils View Post

And on that note, I want to address the thought that "even coked out drug sluts deserve human treatment". While this is absolutely true, I think it overlooks the point that babies of promiscuous drug users should be subject to more testing than babies of women who are neither of those.

That's great that you have this opinion and all, and you're certainly entitled to it. But you seem to state this as some sort of factual concept, and I assure you it's not. It's your opinion, and I don't share it.
Old 08-02-2008, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter

I haven't really had a chance to update because my dds have been sick and then of course I had to go and sprain my ankle However, I was talking with the neighbor, who told me that the other neighbor had her baby in the same hospital where I went. They kept her baby for a week because she had swallowed amniotic fluid. I'm sure there is more to it, I plan on asking her what happened, because I find it strange that she had the same line fed to her as I did. Do these people just enjoy torturing infants with stomach washing?

If she was fed the same line of bs as me, I'm going to encourage her to call the patient procurator too.

Old 08-02-2008, 04:02 PM

Not surprised about the medical records at all.

After my hospital birth, 3 month stay in NICU and all the drama, I didn't even have medical records. Didn't exist in the system at all.

I hope you retained a lawyer. Does PR automatically put your in a register somewhere now that DPS has been called?

Mama to expecting Babe 2
Old 08-02-2008, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by claddaghmom View Post
Not surprised about the medical records at all.

After my hospital birth, 3 month stay in NICU and all the drama, I didn't even have medical records. Didn't exist in the system at all.

I hope you retained a lawyer. Does PR automatically put your in a register somewhere now that DPS has been called?
I'm not sure. I'm still waiting for them to do the so called "home visit" they were supposed to do, but they've never showed up. I'm going Monday to the hospital to see if I can get the complete records, plus a detailed invoice of the NICU stay and my ER stay.

Old 08-02-2008, 04:54 PM

I'd sue the livinghe## out of them for no other reason than to set a precedent to keep such a travesty from happening to anyone else!

From reading your posts I think they really picked the wrong family to subject to their big brother bull.

You sound like strong resilient capable parents with beautiful children.Congrats on your new baby and your awesome documentation skills.I doubt given the circumstances I could have kept it together so well!
Old 08-02-2008, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you saintmom. I think it's really sick that they pick post partum to pull this kind of things on moms. I mean, you just gave birth, you're tired and in a fog. It's not right to spring this kind of shit on women.

Old 08-03-2008, 01:10 AM

Quote:
They kept her baby for a week because she had swallowed amniotic fluid.

??!!!! Did she misunderstand and they said the baby breathed amniotic fluid? Because if not, they are totally lying their butts off. Babies swallow amniotic fluid pretty much from the minute they have a digestive system & can swallow until they're born. :

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

Old 08-03-2008, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintmom View Post
I'd sue the livinghe## out of them for no other reason than to set a precedent to keep such a travesty from happening to anyone else!

From reading your posts I think they really picked the wrong family to subject to their big brother bull.

You sound like strong resilient capable parents with beautiful children.Congrats on your new baby and your awesome documentation skills.I doubt given the circumstances I could have kept it together so well!

ITA!!!! You ROCK!!!!!! VERY inspiring!!!! Congratulations on your babe!!!:::: And to you......:

User Tag List