UC ruined by nosy neighbor *update #56, #74, #134, #160, #204, #219(long)* - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 305 Old 08-12-2008, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
For what it's worth, DD vomited coffee-grinds after a completely natural birth. It seems to be one of those things that just happens- and DD was a very quick labour. (3 contractions.) It's something that should be observed and documented, rather than observed and treated, kwim?
But I guess if they don't treat it, they can't make money off of it right? : If it had happened at home, I would have looked it up on the internet, and then decide if it was serious enough to go to a ped. But I guess mothers are too dumb to be able to make intelligent decisions about our children's health because we're not doctors.

Anyways, I was talking with my neighbor about her birth, and it was a horror story as well. Doc was going on vacation, induced her....with Cytotec had contractions with no labor pains, labor wasn't progressing and she ended up with a c/s. And I wish that was the end of it, but it gets worse. While she's in recovering, they put her a catheter. The nurse, after changing her diaper and pad, closed the diaper and pinched the tube that goes to the bag. After a while, she tries to pee, and can't because the tube is kinked. She calls the nurse, who tells her that she's just whining so she can get more pain meds (which she wasn't receiving every 4 hrs per doc's orders) and then finally, 13 hrs later, the nurse checks, because the bag is still empty, and says "Looks like your tube got pinched." My neighbor says, "Yeah, you did it!". After that was fixed, she filled two bags! What were they trying to do, kill her??? Just horrible. I'm going to give her some info on Cytotec, and my chiro's number, because she's in charge of the ICAN chapter of PR, as well as the procurator's number, in case she wants to file a complaint about the hospital, which I definitely think she should. The way she was treated was appalling.

Equuskia in with Nodtveidt DD1 : DD2 :
#242 of 305 Old 08-12-2008, 07:25 AM

gah! it just gets worse doesn't it

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
#243 of 305 Old 08-12-2008, 10:56 AM

My God. I just read through the tread with tears in my eyes, and shaking my head. I'm so glad your little girl is finally home and safe with you. What an ordeal.

I don't even know what to say.

You know we're all here for you..
#244 of 305 Old 08-12-2008, 01:36 PM

I'm just a UC mom lurking this thread - totally appalled by what you went through. I've seen repeated comments about the hospital's assertion that yours was an "unsterile" birth. Obviously we know that this is bs. I just wanted to point out that it is not a term being uniquely applied to your birth. They didn't just make it up in reference to your situation. My mom's friend went into early labor and had a totally unexpected homebirth -- she managed to call 911 and the firemen arrived about the time she delivered. They called this birth "unsterile" and transported mom and babe and kept babe in NICU for 5 days. This was back in 1978. My mom always told me this story, always used the term unsterile, and when I was talking about a homebirth she brought it up alot. As far as I understand it, they are just referring to the unknown factor of what pathogens could have been present. So any birth outside of a "controlled" hospital environment could be called unsterile and then subject to the hospital's preferred protocal of 5 days nicu or whatever.

I'm not saying I agree - I think this is stupid. My unsterile home UC's were clean and safe and my babes were not exposed to any serious pathogens. I just wanted to add that I've heard that term and in what context. The fact that they brought this term out and used it as a scare tactic is shameful.

I say SUE SUE SUE. Sounds to me like they made an assumption that you were a negligent sort of person, perhaps even a druggie (HIV and tox screenings???) and treated you poorly based upon that assumption. Yuck yuck yuck.
#245 of 305 Old 08-12-2008, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

I told the story to my cousin, and she's like, "But don't you take that baby home to the same house you live in? What's the difference in giving birth in the hospital and taking the baby home, and just giving birth at home? Aren't the same germs still there?" Hey that's what makes sense to me. Clean enough to live in, clean enough to birth in

But maybe I should have gotten one of those fancy European midwives that makes the birth sterile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by violet View Post
I say SUE SUE SUE. Sounds to me like they made an assumption that you were a negligent sort of person, perhaps even a druggie (HIV and tox screenings???) and treated you poorly based upon that assumption. Yuck yuck yuck.
And here's the best part. I bet they didn't want to say druggie to my face, so instead of giving me the tox screen, they did it to her and hoped I wouldn't find out. I consider that very sneaky. And I doubt they test every baby that passes through that hospital.

#246 of 305 Old 08-12-2008, 05:45 PM

you know what I think about the "sterile" bull-$hit? I think that it's an inherent hatred/distrust of women and their bodies. We grow the babies in our uterus's, but oh, my , gawd when they come down that dirty vagina, they're bound to catch some sort of STD, or cooties. But when you give birth in a hospital, a doctor oversees (and they make sure they see everything) that the baby is removed from the uterus as quickly as possible, cause, yk, women are so unclean.

my little rant of the day.
#247 of 305 Old 08-12-2008, 08:21 PM

majazama, you shouldn't joke about that. my friend's cousin had a hairdresser whos best friend's sister UCed and her baby was born with Cooties.
It was a terrible tragedy for the whole family and the baby needed to be rushed to the NICU

sorry, I just had to lift the mood a bit. i cry every time i check in on this thread.

#248 of 305 Old 08-12-2008, 09:11 PM

majikfaerie~ youre right, cooties is a horrible illness. we should not joke about it.
#249 of 305 Old 08-12-2008, 09:13 PM

My sister was bitten by a moose once, and it gave her cooties.

Wife to dh and mommy to dd1 (3/07), ds (1/10), and dd2 (any day now)!

#250 of 305 Old 08-12-2008, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majikfaerie View Post
majazama, you shouldn't joke about that. my friend's cousin had a hairdresser whos best friend's sister UCed and her baby was born with Cooties.
It was a terrible tragedy for the whole family and the baby needed to be rushed to the NICU

sorry, I just had to lift the mood a bit. i cry every time i check in on this thread.

Erica, wife to Jason (March 2002) . Mama to Ava (June 2003) , Jason Jr. [AKA JJ] (August 2004) , Lila (January 2009) , Maura (October 2010) , and a new person in December 2012!
#251 of 305 Old 08-13-2008, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fujiko View Post
My sister was bitten by a moose once, and it gave her cooties.
A moose?
::::
#252 of 305 Old 08-13-2008, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angi View Post
A moose?
::::
Maybe she was Canadian?

You know, I'm considering for next time, birthing in a forest like that thread going on here. There are plenty of desolate places here in PR where no one goes through.

#253 of 305 Old 08-13-2008, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majazama View Post
majikfaerie~ youre right, cooties is a horrible illness. we should not joke about it.
There's a vaccine for that! The only truly effective and safe vaccine in existence!

'Circle circle, dot dot....'
#254 of 305 Old 08-13-2008, 04:33 PM
Banned

my MIL heard somewhere that the cootie shot doesn't always work, unless properly administered by someone professional.

she forgets who qualifies as the appropriate professional, afterall, it's too much research. better to just go on what you hear.
#255 of 305 Old 08-13-2008, 06:55 PM

Mama I am glad you are all home and I'm disgusted at the treatment you recieved, glad the nurses were good to you, really glad they were able to assist in some way. What a beautiful name your dd has been gifted, it's magical. Congratulations on your dd. I hope you are feeling better and get some result from this travesty of 'care'. Yes it sounds very like the procedures could easily have created problems with for your dd, it disgusts me to read the medical notes, so cold, clinical, robotic, so unhealthy. Frightening that so called medical proffessionals will risk babies health to prove a point. I totally agree with the pp who says they are scared of our bodies and it's reproductive processes in particular imo and I agree they are trying to 'cleanse' our 'dirty bits', sterile environment, em, uugh!! really it has been shown over and over how dangerously ignorant a lot of the medical proffession seem to be about the most basic of healthcare, I fear it's quite totalitarian in it's methods. Oh I am mad about this treatment but sending beautiful belated birthmoon vibes from moonlit Scotland, enjoy all you have, bathe in the cool clear light of your family, treat yourself to natural oils, good food, boost yourself up again and hopefully that hospital will take on board this mediaevel treatment of new mums and babes.:
#256 of 305 Old 08-13-2008, 07:50 PM

WOW! I have to say congratulations on your amazing baby! Both of your children are gorgeous!

I am so sorry for everything that your family went through. Please keep us updated on "suing the pants off" of the hospital.

Tofie ~ mama to DD1, DD2 and Pookie v3 debuting December 2011
Oh my God....women are the COWS of PEOPLE!! --Reese, Malcolm in the Middle
#257 of 305 Old 08-13-2008, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equuskia View Post
Maybe she was Canadian?

You know, I'm considering for next time, birthing in a forest like that thread going on here. There are plenty of desolate places here in PR where no one goes through.
:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unoppressed MAMA Q View Post
There's a vaccine for that! The only truly effective and safe vaccine in existence!

'Circle circle, dot dot....'
UMQ i would direct you to the vaccines forum. really, there are no safe and effective vaccines, and the cooties vaccine has been shown to be ineffective in many cases. even with the "no returns till you die" booster given in conjunction.
possible side effects include boy germs, girl germs, and the dreaded neener neeners.

#258 of 305 Old 08-13-2008, 08:53 PM

I'm so full of tears reading this thread and what your family has gone though

Keep strong fighting for your little girl!!
#259 of 305 Old 08-15-2008, 07:14 AM

I've just come across this thread and read the whole thing in utter shock. I'm appalled. I shouldn't be, since I was also the victim of a hospital trying to 'take it out' on me, but what you and your daughter have been through is just awful.
I hate that things like this can still happen in this world, and that by so many people they are seen as the status quo, so why bother changing it.
I really hope that you can find some justice and that you and your daughter don't suffer any long-term ill effects from your abuse.

Lisa - mama to Eleanor Rose 01/08 and Saoirse Lily 09/10
#260 of 305 Old 08-15-2008, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majazama View Post
you know what I think about the "sterile" bull-$hit? I think that it's an inherent hatred/distrust of women and their bodies. We grow the babies in our uterus's, but oh, my , gawd when they come down that dirty vagina, they're bound to catch some sort of STD, or cooties. But when you give birth in a hospital, a doctor oversees (and they make sure they see everything) that the baby is removed from the uterus as quickly as possible, cause, yk, women are so unclean.

my little rant of the day.
I completely agree with all of this
#261 of 305 Old 08-15-2008, 11:35 AM

As to the drug test part I would definately fight about that. IF they had done a physical exam on you and noticed behavioural or physical indications of drug abuse (ie weight issues, track marks, irractic beahviour, etc) THEN they may have had ground for cause.

BUT - since they never DID an exam on your (despite fradulately billing for it and illegally charting it) they were WAY outside their bounds to assume drug abuse on your part without a physical or psychological basis for such an assumption.

Not all the way through the thread yet but I just had to through that out there.

Angela <><
#262 of 305 Old 08-16-2008, 01:06 AM

So glad your dd is back with you. I'm so sorry that you have gone through this. Best of luck in your lawsuit.
#263 of 305 Old 08-16-2008, 07:29 PM

This is vital for everyone to read!

The Pregnant Patients Bill Of Rights

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=940383
#264 of 305 Old 08-16-2008, 08:33 PM

thanks for that

#265 of 305 Old 08-17-2008, 12:31 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you! I have saved the thread and will print it out for my neighbor. Had she known what Cytotec is and that it's not meant for inducing, I'm sure she would have told the doc where he could stick that pill. I know I would!

#266 of 305 Old 08-19-2008, 01:15 AM

what a freakin' nightmare!!

hope everything turns on for the best.
#267 of 305 Old 08-24-2008, 10:01 PM

Just wondered whether there were any further developments. I've been praying for you.
#268 of 305 Old 08-26-2008, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_queen_22 View Post
Just wondered whether there were any further developments. I've been praying for you.
Yeah, I'm hunting for a doctor to sign the birth certificate. Very frustrating. :

#269 of 305 Old 08-26-2008, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equuskia View Post
Yeah, I'm hunting for a doctor to sign the birth certificate. Very frustrating. :
Could a midwife do it? Maybe someone in your tribe could refer you to someone.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#270 of 305 Old 08-26-2008, 05:26 PM

Can't you just go to health department with proof of pregnancy and a witness to the birth and the baby? That's what you have to do here.

Minions...I've got minions. Sheepish.gifblahblah.gifangel2.gifkid.gif  And dogs.  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page