Period-like bleeding every month while pregnant - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-09-2008, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No one who I've asked seems to know why this sometimes occurs: I've been experiencing period-like bleeding every 4 or 5 weeks since becoming pregnant (I'm about 14 weeks along now). I didn't experience this at all with my son, by the way. The bleeding is just like how a normal period would be for me. I'm very aware of my body, so I know the baby is doing well. When this first started happening, I considered getting a midwife, but my intuition is not concerned about it in the slightest. My mind, though, is very curious and would like more information on this, if possible. It's completely and totally befuddling. Why would my body be making extra lining every month as if I weren't pregnant??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2008, 02:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My mom actually has a friend who had periods her entire pregnancy...she was one of those people didn't know she was pregnant until she was like 6 months along!

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

Old 08-10-2008, 08:39 AM

Remember, it's not *really* a period--as you said it, it's 'period-like'. So you're not creating extra lining that you shed every month in the same way as you do when menstruating. This is something that I personally don't understand very well, but as pp said, some women do experience this.

Have you googled 'menstruation during pregnancy' or anything like that, for further info?
Old 08-10-2008, 05:37 PM

I had it with my first pregnancy.I didn't think I was pregnant until I was 11 weeks and then each time I "cycled" I thought it might be a miscarriage.We were moving right at the time so I didn't really have a Dr. to see and it was way before we had internet so I didn't have google either.I just figured that it was normal for me and when I talked to my grandma she told me my mom had it and my great grandma so its normal for our family.So it must be what is normal for you and this pregnancy. Maybe the bay is just getting really comfy.=)

joy.gifme, herding 5 critters a cat and a dog. DS 11/01, DS 10/04, DD 2/06, DS 5/07 and DD 9/10

Old 08-10-2008, 07:45 PM

I know many many women who still had periods right on through their pregnancies. It's fairly common and completely normal. Sorry you have to go through it, though

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
Old 08-10-2008, 07:59 PM

I don't know what causes it, but my best friend has two aunts who both bled each month while they were pregnant, and both delivered full-term healthy babies. I would suspect that this is also the case in some pregnancies where the mom is unaware that she is pregnant until the birth.

So it isn't unheard of... in the absence of cramping, signs from the baby, or intuition telling you otherwise, I'd go with "not the norm, but normal."

~ Colleen ~ Joyful Unschooling Pagan mama to hearts.gifenergy.gifsuperhero.gifjog.gif and babyf.gif
"When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead."

User Tag List