Anyone ever labored/birthed in the forest? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-20-2008, 04:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not a UC, but I had my baby on the Farm, in a little house completely full of windows, surrounded by forest. It was really beautiful. We got there at dawn and watched the buzzards taking off out of their roosting tree not too far away, and when the sun went down again in the evening (still laboring) we watched them come back one by one to roost. The bathroom window had a tree just a foot or two away, and there was a squirrel running up and down from time to time. I liked being in touch with the progression of the day.

It would have been a really nice place for a labor walk through the woods, if it hadn't been frosty, freezy January.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2008, 10:49 PM

Ok, i wouldn't do this in the US because of the wildlife risks mainly. I'm in the UK so here i wouldn't do it because of the weather.

For me the wildlife aspect is just too scary. I mean, i would be there the whole time thinking "what if a bear comes?" and i don't think i could birth with that fear. I have a friend who kayak'd a bunch in Canada and she was terrified when her period came and yes, bears did come one night. Luckily they heard them and climbed a fir-type tree before they arrived. The bears just wrecked up camp, dug up her (too close to camp it turned out) sanitary rags and left. Luckily her period stopped through lack of food around that time so she never had to deal again but they had no gun (were germans on a world trip) and were very lucky. She couldn't have climbed the tree in labour, or with a newborn. How DOES one defend one's self and one's baby against wolves or bears? A big rifle in camp would put me off as much as a big Ob might in hospital!

In a (sturdy) cabin in the woods - now THAT i could see, but just out there, unprotected? Not for me thanks, far too dangerous to my mind.

ETA - i handled a stallion throughout my teens and i never saw him eat another animal!
Old 08-21-2008, 07:51 PM

totally have thought about it, i love the quiet and when im in labor it hs to be quiet or i get really umm..upset. and start screaming at pople. i have to go off in my own little world during contractions.
i had non bloody births as well, my kids came out totally clean and the second was a waterbirth and the water was totally clear. i didnt bleed for close to an hour after and that had the mw and nurse kinda worried for whatever reason.

majikfaerie- thats beautiful! looks like youre dancing

User Tag List