UC and an ultrasound - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 39 Old 08-25-2008, 01:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raving_liberal View Post
I actually feel that having an ultrasound would undermine my confidence in my body's abilities, not reassure it. In the past, ultrasounds have only confirmed exactly what I already knew through instinct --
I feel lucky that my husband doesn't dictate terms for our UCs. He feels if he trusts me enough to make the decision to UC, he trusts me enough to make the decisions about what, if any, external care to seek.
: I also believe that ultrasounds cause damage to babies. of the 5 babies born in my family (me and SIL) the 2 who got ultrasounds are small for their age . Could be a coincidence, but I don't think so. Maybe it's just us.

my old MW who's DD had a homebirth w/ her a few years ago, believes strongly that her grandson was affected by ultrasound. His intestines were born on the outside of his body. Luckily he survived, after rushing him to the hospital, but they believe he was born like that because his mom got an ultrasound at about 5 weeks (when the chest cavity is closing)

If I ever have another baby, I'll def. not have a ultrasound before 20 weeks at least. If I have to have one, I would wait till probably 30 weeks.
#32 of 39 Old 08-25-2008, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherMother'n'Madre View Post
Ok while I understand you aren't trying to be snarky with that it is somewhat snarky. My husband didn't dictate the terms of our UC. I'm sure the DH's of other posters don't either. What my husband DID do was come to me and say, "Hey babe, I'm not entirely comfy with the idea (especially after the birth of our first). I'm set to back you up regardless but I would feel more at ease if you would get an u/s." Due to the fact that we are a team and I don't think my instinct (which said everything was kosher) trumps his personal feelings about an upcoming birth. I would rather take his feelings into consideration and do something I'm not against than say "buck up" and deal with a mopey/frightened person come the time of birth.

Just because he's not the one giving birth doesn't mean he doesn't get to voice his desires. Just because I'm the one giving birth doesn't mean I have to deny him a resolution.

It's easy to say you trust your instinct. It's easy to have a spouse say they trust your instinct. It's not easy to have that and the necessary faith in that trust at all times.

UCing is very personal and as a result each person's "definition" of what qualifies as UC is going to be different. I think using whatever you need to to make yourself comfy AND safe is what UCing is all about. Personal empowerment. Knowing it's in your control. Seeking treatment when and where ever you want. That's what it's all about. To me at least.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#33 of 39 Old 08-25-2008, 03:07 PM

Once again, for clarity, I chose to have a single ultrasound during my last pregnancy and it was a choice I made with my husband. I have zero issues with that. It was simply the choice of wording. "Requires" illustrates a power dynamic I wouldn't be comfortable with, whether from an OB or from my husband. A couple making decisions together, sure, I wouldn't bat an eye at that, but whenever someone says that they are "required" to do something or "allowed" to do something else, I cringe, simple as that.

Sarah
aspiring midwife Mama to Declan - 7/14/00 and Bastian - 11/20/07.
#34 of 39 Old 08-26-2008, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenyd View Post
I know I did a lot of stuff I shouldn't have while I was pregnant!

After my first trimester I drank two cups of coffee the three days/wk I was at work, and I used an astringent with salicyclic acid in it to combat acne on my cheeks.

I my job as a nurse is very stressful, we use lots of drugs, some which shouldn't be handled by pregnant women. I Had to fight not to be forced to administer chemotherapy while ttc. I was given patients with radiation implants and one with CMV disease which can cause birth defects if a preg women contracts it.

I ate tunafish which contains mercury, and ingested way too many sugary treats.

I spent too much time on the computer.

I had two ultrasounds, including one at 5 weeks! to confirm the pregnancy (kind of regret that one, but I didn't know better).

I drank at least two alcoholic beverages before I knew I was pg.

I painted my toenails (once)

I sprayed out the bathtub with tilex while I was in labor. One of my patients told me a story about how she got a blood infection from a dirty birth pool and almost died and I've had a phobia about it since.

And believe me if he ever has any problems I will only blame myself!
Other than living in a bubble....what can ya do?

But I think to myself that if my kid can't survive poptarts on my 4am shift, then how will she ever survive being on the outside, lol.

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#35 of 39 Old 08-27-2008, 09:05 PM

To the OP, if you want an u/s, get one. You don't need to explain it to anyone here (I made that mistake before ). We are uc'ing and up'ing this time. But I did just have an u/s last week. I really wanted one. To rule out twins (we were highly suspicious) and also because I wanted to see my baby and know what HE was (sooo happy to know its a he!). We went to a Fetal Foto place. I asked them over the phone if they required an OB permission slip, and they said no. On the forms they asked who the care provider was, and I put that I was still looking at different mw's. No biggie. Also I've been in contact with one mw here who said she could refer me for an u/s if I couldn't get one another way...so maybe check into that too those of you who are looking.

Husband and Wife 4/03, Ds1 9/03, Dd1 8/06, Ds2 12/08, Dd2 due 1/11...bfing, co-sleeping, cding, ecing, bwing, ucing, no-more vaxing, no-more circ'ing, hsing, conservative Christian family.
#36 of 39 Old 08-28-2008, 04:21 AM

Back to the OP: I like ultrasounds during pregnancy because we have a family history of twins on both sides, and I've miscarried twins myself. Forewarned is forearmed.
For me, though, I am never going to do without an ultrasound in pregnancy again. A netfriend of mine planned a UC with her sixth child, transferred to hospital fully-dilated after 48 hours of hard labour and had an ultrasound done at that point. They found a fibroid the size of a grapefruit lying between baby's head and her cervix. A c-section was done, and the uterine walls were not in good condition- her words were "ripped to shreds"- and less time in labour could have prevented that. Freak occurrence, yes, but ultrasounds can pick up and rule out freak occurrences. Sometimes it's not about baby's health, it's about ours.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#37 of 39 Old 09-06-2008, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkybean View Post
Hmm. I've looked at the website for the place around here, and they require basically a permission slip from your OB, to make sure you're not using them for health care.
They only want the permission slip thing to verify that you are not using their services as a diagnostic thing since they are not doctors or midwives or anything like that. I simply told them when I called that my insurance had dropped me and I needed to change doctors bc mine wouldn't accept my new insurance and I just hadn't found one yet and they were fine with that. It was true, but they were still fine with it.

Since then we have UP and still planning to UC much to s/o worries and concerns. I had the u/s sound done mainly bc I wanted to know the sex and I wanted to see the baby. I am incredibly impatient, so having the 3d/4d u/s was something I was planning from the beginning.

Since you are UPing you can always go to a pregnancy crisis center for a general u/s just to confirm pregnancy. I have read other women on here do that so they can more easily attain a birth certificate. You could always use that u/s in place of a doctor's note too. At least we could since we had an u/s in the beginning with the OB

Good Luck with your pregnancy! (and birth!)

Me with my baby girl Maeleigh (Oct 08) and My (step) baby girl Whren (May 05) in Heaven with her mommy .. And introducing our little JuneBug (June 10) We heard the !!!
#38 of 39 Old 09-07-2008, 11:31 PM

Quote:
I actually feel that having an ultrasound would undermine my confidence in my body's abilities, not reassure it. In the past, ultrasounds have only confirmed exactly what I already knew through instinct -- yet I wouldn't trust my instinct until I saw that "proof." This time, I am just listening to what my body tells me instead of looking to external answers, and I feel SO much more confident and less worried.

I feel lucky that my husband doesn't dictate terms for our UCs. He feels if he trusts me enough to make the decision to UC, he trusts me enough to make the decisions about what, if any, external care to seek.
Same with us. I felt more confident in myself and my baby not going in for an ultrasound.

Nicole | Mom to Ciara & Oliver | Finally living aboard & loving it!
#39 of 39 Old 09-07-2008, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Some of the commenters were saying their DH "required" or they "had to" do it in order for them to UC. I just can't imagine my husband "requiring" I do anything. It's one thing for your partner to make requests or talk about what would make his comfortable, but that's not the language some of these mamas are using.

I have no problem with people getting u/s during pregnancy if that's what they want. I don't have a problem with them doing it to put their partner's mind at ease. I don't like the wording that indicates their husbands are pressuring or manipulating them into doing something they don't want to do.
I agree. I think the words "required" and "had to" make it sound like it's forced. I think it's important to have discussions with your partner, and make sure you're both on the same page, but being required to do something by my husband (or anyone) when pregnant and giving birth is ridiculous to me.

Nicole | Mom to Ciara & Oliver | Finally living aboard & loving it!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page