Big mama's... positioning? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 09-04-2008, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm really trying to figure this out.

I'm pretty fat and when I birthed my DD's I felt most comfortable leaning back against someone, half sitting/half reclining. It just felt natural and great. However it didn't put me in a great position if I wanted to catch the baby myself.

This time we may have a UC. Although I feel very confident I can do this, my DH is freaking out and I really don't think I can count on him to catch.

Because of my belly in the way (which is only going to get bigger as time goes on of course), I can't figure out what position I could get in that would allow me access to catch the baby, slip the cord off the neck if needed, etc. Last night I was trying different positions and I felt I couldn't *reach* in any of them.

So, big UC'ing mama's... how'd you do it?
#2 of 19 Old 09-04-2008, 06:54 PM

I didn't catch with ds2, but I think the only way I'd be able to do it is on hands & knees or possibly squatting in water, since there's less 'catching' to do in a water birth. It's something I need to figure out too, since in my ideal world, I'd really like to have a solo UC. I know there's no way I could have caught ds2 in the position I was in when I birthed him, much less found the nuchal cord & dealth with it.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#3 of 19 Old 09-04-2008, 07:07 PM

I didn't plan on catching my ds but when it came down to it I was on my hands and knees and just naturally reached back between my legs and caught him as he slipped out. My DP was too busy freaking out and calling family members to assist.... lol. I don't know how well this would have worked if I had been bigger, but it wasn't hard. I did buy a big foam mattress to put down for the baby to be born on but ended up not using it.

nak.gif Mommy to fencing.gifKai 2/03, hammer.gifCaden 1/08, energy.gif Kara 10/09, angel1.gif 3/21/13, &

rainbow1284.gif baby.gif  Cole 2/3/14 ♡ Happily unmarried to geek.gif Papa since 2002 ♡

~We may not have it all together  but together we have it all~ uc.jpgsaynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactivist.giflactivist.gif 

#4 of 19 Old 09-04-2008, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We're planning a midwife attended homebirth, but I'm a big mama and would like to be able to do things on my own as much as possible, so I wanted to sub so I could see other replies. Not much help from my first birth as that one was unfortunately a very medicalized birth in a hospital (where I was vomitting as he was shooting outta me).

Lisa, mama to Orion (7) , Fiona Star (born sleeping @ 38wks 12/6/08) , our bitty (m/c 7/27/09) , and Charlotte Athena (11/5/10)
#5 of 19 Old 09-04-2008, 09:48 PM

Why not create a soft nest that baby could land on? If you're squatting over it or on hands/knees or even half reclining over it, it would probably be fine for the baby. My baby birthed head first, then after a pause, the rest of him came out. So even if I hadn't been able to catch him he would have been fine landing on the bed.

Mom to DD ('06) and DS ('08)
#6 of 19 Old 09-04-2008, 11:14 PM

How about your body weight on one knee and the other leg bent with foot on floor (does that make any sense?)?
#7 of 19 Old 09-04-2008, 11:38 PM

My last wasn't UC but I had a very hands off mw. I birthed on a birth stool, and could have easily reached down to catch her. A "nest" for baby sounds like a good idea and frees you up to do whatever feels right.
#8 of 19 Old 09-05-2008, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the great suggestions.
#9 of 19 Old 09-05-2008, 04:36 PM

regardless of being big or not, i have REALLY short arms...there is no way i could "catch" even if i weighed 100 pounds....dh has caught for me at both UC's, and i was squatting and on hands and knees. If he couldn't catch, I would make a soft nest...both times my crotch was really close to the ground, it would have worked.

CPST
#10 of 19 Old 09-05-2008, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

I'm thinking the nest idea is probably best. Considering my preference for positioning with my last 2 births I think DH will likely be busy holding me from behind.

I just get so impressed watching the videos of UC and see mamas reach down or behind themselves and catch their own baby. I just can't figure out the physical logistics of it!
#11 of 19 Old 09-05-2008, 05:18 PM

Well, remember that as your baby is coming out of you, that pregnant belly won't be in the way as much.

Mom to DD ('06) and DS ('08)
#12 of 19 Old 09-05-2008, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Well with my size to start with the pregnant belly isn't very much. It's all me.
#13 of 19 Old 09-06-2008, 08:21 AM

I'm fat with short arms. There's no way I could do it. I figure water is the way to go. Water is also beneficial for us to be able to move and get into positions that are harder to maintain on dry land esp. when fat. Well, theoretically, I'll let you know within a few weeks if that works.
#14 of 19 Old 09-06-2008, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paphia View Post
Why not create a soft nest that baby could land on? If you're squatting over it or on hands/knees or even half reclining over it, it would probably be fine for the baby. My baby birthed head first, then after a pause, the rest of him came out. So even if I hadn't been able to catch him he would have been fine landing on the bed.

This is what I was going to suggest. I planned to catch my 2 UCs but I have never been in the mindset once baby is actually coming out. I am too busy trying to get her out! Both times I delivered on hands and knees and if hubby hadn't caught she would have landed safely on towels and blankets.

~Lanie mom to Layne, Liam, Maren, Meridian, and Melora
#15 of 19 Old 09-07-2008, 10:48 AM

My two UCs were waterbirths so neither baby was actually 'caught' exactly ... more like born into water and caught from the water. That said, I was pushing in various positions but when it came time to birth the baby, I was on my knees ... but with my second, I felt the need to lay back and tilt my hips to the side a bit ... just as the baby was being born ... so I told DH to catch and he ignored me ... LOL ... baby was born into the water where I immediately sat up and pulled him out of the water. My 15yo DS was on the other end of the birth pool and had his hands ready to reach in and pull the baby out at the same time.

So in waterbirth, there really isn't that need to 'catch' the baby because he or she floats out gently into the water ...

I'm not sure how I'd handle a land birth but do know I'd follow my instincts at the time and listen to my body's cues as to how I should position myself.
#16 of 19 Old 09-09-2008, 05:00 PM

I was on my hands and knees, and the baby just fell out. That sounds scary, but really my crotch was so close to the ground (a soft foam pad) that the head made contact before the body was out, and then the body simply unfolded out in front of it.

There's an old Bradley video in which all the mothers are semi-reclining and no one catches the baby. The baby, again, just folds out onto the surface in front of the mother, and then she sits up and picks the baby up.

I didn't check for the cord before the body was out. My feeling is that it's not necessary and can actually have a negative effect. You can do a search for "pamamidwife" and "cord" as a quick way to find many discussions that have been on Mothering about it.
#17 of 19 Old 09-09-2008, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

I am hoping for a waterbirth this time, but since my waterbirth plans the last two times ending up not happening, well, I don't want to get my hopes up.

I think the soft nest/cushion idea sounds good. And with the cord, the only thing I'm concerned about is if the cord is too short with it wrapped. I know it's not that common, but, well, want to b prepared. I'm not worried about the cord being wrapped to begin with, only if the cord was short.
#18 of 19 Old 09-09-2008, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amydidit View Post
And with the cord, the only thing I'm concerned about is if the cord is too short with it wrapped. I know it's not that common, but, well, want to b prepared. I'm not worried about the cord being wrapped to begin with, only if the cord was short.
Just remember the uterus follows the baby down, and the head can remain on the perineum while the body somersaults out.
#19 of 19 Old 09-09-2008, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourlittlebirds View Post
I was on my hands and knees, and the baby just fell out. That sounds scary, but really my crotch was so close to the ground (a soft foam pad) that the head made contact before the body was out, and then the body simply unfolded out in front of it.

There's an old Bradley video in which all the mothers are semi-reclining and no one catches the baby. The baby, again, just folds out onto the surface in front of the mother, and then she sits up and picks the baby up.

I didn't check for the cord before the body was out. My feeling is that it's not necessary and can actually have a negative effect. You can do a search for "pamamidwife" and "cord" as a quick way to find many discussions that have been on Mothering about it.
I tried to do this search and came up with nothing. Any other suggestions?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page