Mothering Forum banner

If you're UP/UCing and want/need an u/s

645 views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Mamaperk 
#1 ·
So far we've been UPing and I expect this not to change. However for personal reasons (sexual abuse survivor) I need to know the sex. U/s are one test I don't have a problem with since I haven't read anything that convinced me they are harmful, and they don't hurt physically... so considering my mental health is at risk here, I'm going to do it.

The problem however is all the elective u/s places I've found require proof of seeing a provider already and having an earlier diagnostic u/s. Well, I don't have either of those. My PCP doesn't do ANYTHING with prenatal care, including signing any paperwork, so I can't go to her for this. And we don't have enough money to hire a midwife just for something like that. Nor do we have insurance so even going to an OB just once is financially not possible.

So, has anyone else UP'd but still had an u/s? Suggestions? Thanks!

#3 ·
I am currently Uping for my third time and have scheduled an ultrasound this time around. We have a free pregnancy center here that will do "complimentary" ultrasounds as long as you are not under the care of a provider. I told them I do not have insurance yet, which is true, so therefore I don't have a doctor and I easily made an appt.

#5 ·
I certainly understand that. I don't think this one does. It is Christian based and I haven't seen anything at all about abortions anywhere. They just offer free pg tests and ultrasounds and have a "borrowing room" if you are in need of second hand clothing for you or baby.

One reason I am going besides feeling for some reason like I should this time is that there are no ties to a provider or anyone that would want to follow up. The nurse had a very good vibe about her and kept telling me how blessed I was
It is a nice thing to hear when trailing 4 kids!

#8 ·
I had an u/s done by one of the 3d 'entertainment' u/s places and while they wanted me to put down the info of my provider they never checked it, and I didn't even have a phone number to provide! I also had my appointment at like 6:30pm, so way too late to call the OB first. So why don't you see if you can schedule an appt after office hours and just pick some random OB's info out of the phone book and perhaps accidentally mess up the phone numbers digits by 1 or something?

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kaylee18 View Post
Birthright and CareNet are two networks of pro-life pregnancy centers. CareNet has a nationwide 800 number you can call to get a local referral.
Thanks! I'll check those out and see if there is a place nearby.

Quote:

Originally Posted by StarMama View Post
I had an u/s done by one of the 3d 'entertainment' u/s places and while they wanted me to put down the info of my provider they never checked it, and I didn't even have a phone number to provide! I also had my appointment at like 6:30pm, so way too late to call the OB first. So why don't you see if you can schedule an appt after office hours and just pick some random OB's info out of the phone book and perhaps accidentally mess up the phone numbers digits by 1 or something?
Hmm... that's not a bad idea either. What are they going to do after the u/s if they find out I wasn't seeing that provider? Take back the u/s? Make me forget what I saw and learned? lol

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by claddaghmom View Post
I had a free 3D u/s at a free-standing u/s center. It was during a "come see promo." Afterwards, I decided to schedule for one of their packages and all they requested was the name of my OB.
One I was looking at today has a full form that your provider has to sign. I know they are trying to cover themselves, but wow.

Quote:

Originally Posted by logcabinmomma View Post
Our crisis pregnancy centers do ultrasound, but will not ever tell you the sex. It's against their policy. I made my appt for 20 weeks and COULD have looked for the sex myself (they'll hold the wand still), but I wasn't looking. But they will not tell.

-Kristi
Do you know why?

#13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by amydidit View Post
Do you know why?
because people can and do abort if they don't like the sex of the baby they are carrying...

No offense, and I know you are anti-abortion, but what are you going to do if the gender is one you don't want?

And the u/s can be wrong, the baby could be in a bad position (our baby had his/her legs crossed the entire time)...

As for going to someone who "supports" abotion-- I'm really not trying to sound snarky, I'm trying to understand-- but if you are going to a free or reduced place, then you are sucking the $ away from the program, not supporting it. Lots of places give out info on abortion. Lots of places give out the real FACTS of abortion and don't sugar coat it, or try to talk you out of an abortion in the first place. And I'm sure almost any OB you would see if you were paying with insurance or out-of-pocket would do the same... and also "support" abortion in the sense that it is a legal "procedure" and is protected by law...

Really, I'm not trying to get into an abortion debate, and I'm pro-life myself, and I hope my tone is coming across right, but when you are basically looking for a favor, it's hard to be too picky.

Is it entirely impossible to prepare yourself for one gender or the other without "knowing"?

#14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by thixle View Post
because people can and do abort if they don't like the sex of the baby they are carrying...
Ugh. I can't even say how I feel about that on here without spouting off UAV's.

I don't care which sex I'm carrying, but I need to know so to start preparing myself mentally. Maybe get counseling if I can find a way to afford it.

And I guess you're right... taking funding away from the place is different than supporting it. I just don't know if I could force myself to walk into a place like that. Knowing the people there support such a thing. ~shudders~

Most of the elective u/s places I've been checking on say if they can't tell you the sex they'll bring you back again for free. Gives me more assurance that I'll be able to find out the sex.

#15 ·
Quote:

Ugh. I can't even say how I feel about that on here without spouting off UAV's.
I know what you mean...

Most of the mental health places near me are on a sliding scale- you pay what you can afford to pay. I went a couple times during a really dark period and it was $1 a visit.

#16 ·
Quote:

Those are good ideas. However the pregnancy centers we have here in town all support and provide info on abortions. I am adamently pro-life and won't go someplace that supports abortions.
I know this is a day old thread, but I just had to give this a big
up!!!

As for sucking money from an agency that provides a free us, you can always make a donation!

Anyways-you might want to contact a local midwife, because some are friendly to UP/UC and they may have resources for you to obtain the us you wish to have. I'm blessed to have that where I am, which is how I've been able to obtain an appointment for an US I have coming up. The place I'm going is run by a woman who loves doing what she does and fully supports homebirthing! The midwife who gave me her information said to just mention her name and they wouldn't ask any more questions.

Good luck!

#17 ·
I would give the entertainment ultrasound place a call ... I did it yesterday just to see what they would say. The woman was really sweet ... I told her my midwife wouldn't sign off on it because she doesn't believe in them. She asked if I had a diagnostic ultrasound and I said no, and I wouldn't unless my 'midwife' saw a need. I asked what kind of proof they required and she said they sometimes accept a prescription for prenatal vitamins or letter from a doc or midwife stating that you are receiving care. They simply need it for their records in case they get audited. They just need to have something ... so you could probably come up with some thing that would appease them. Call ahead though and discuss it with them. They want your business so they are probably willing to work with you. Ya know?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.