After watching a bunch of UC births on youtube, I 'm wondering.... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 49 Old 09-25-2008, 12:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nope. I am not religious.

~Lanie mom to Layne, Liam, Maren, Meridian, and Melora
#32 of 49 Old 09-25-2008, 02:48 PM

No, not at all.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#33 of 49 Old 09-25-2008, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayiscoming2006 View Post
My choice is for "religious" reasons and non-religious reasons.

I'm a Christian who views highly God's sovereignty in all things. I believe that whatever happens is His will and I trust Him that whatever happens will work out to be the best thing for me whether I understand it or not.

The non-religious part was after dealing with an upsetting hospital birth experience. I was given an episiotomy without my consent. I was made to push as hard as I could even though I didn't want to push that way. I was made to push on my back. I wasn't warned against the dangers of pitocin or an epidural. I was never given any information about anything that was done to me during my whole time of prenatal care. It was upsetting the entire time and I was not happy but I didn't realize that there were any alternatives in my area at that time. I had never heard of UC back then.
: Wow that is exactly what I was gonna say! btw UC rocks! That's the only way I will birth now that I've seen the light. Oh and I'd really like to have 8 kids, always have, but now I see the labor as an added bonus to the steamy bundle of joy that you get.

Nichole, wife to Kris SAHM to Timothy : :10-11-03, Hosanna , Seraphim 8-17-08 : caught by Grandma! Faith 1-4-10 : Caught by Daddy!
#34 of 49 Old 09-25-2008, 11:23 PM

I do refer to Eve who had unattended births obviously.
I also believe God is more powerful than any dr.
#35 of 49 Old 09-25-2008, 11:35 PM

Quote:

I'm a Christian who views highly God's sovereignty in all things. I believe that whatever happens is His will and I trust Him that whatever happens will work out to be the best thing for me whether I understand it or not.

The non-religious part was after dealing with an upsetting hospital birth experience. I was given an episiotomy without my consent. I was made to push as hard as I could even though I didn't want to push that way. I was made to push on my back. I wasn't warned against the dangers of pitocin or an epidural. I was never given any information about anything that was done to me during my whole time of prenatal care. It was upsetting the entire time and I was not happy but I didn't realize that there were any alternatives in my area at that time. I had never heard of UC back then.
: Same here

2 Perfect  uc.jpg births!.    h20homebirth.gif.signcirc1.gifsaynovax.gifwinner.jpgfemalesling.GIFhomeschool.gif
3 babes in heaven angel.gif, 3 boys on earth. Planning UC #3 !!! Jesus is my Lord praying.gif

#36 of 49 Old 09-27-2008, 10:31 PM

I guess it would be a yes for me, technically speaking.

http://godassistedchildbirth.blogspot.com/

Sunny coolshine.gif: gun toting, retired breastfeeding, car seat loving, guitar playing, home birthing and schooling mama to Jakob (10.06), Mikah (07.08) and Korah (07.11). uc.jpg 

#37 of 49 Old 09-28-2008, 06:43 PM

My desire to UC was reinforced by teachings of my religion. My faith in my ability to have UC is encouraged by my spirituality. But I also recognize the power of evolution, and the awful state of birth care in the US, as well as trauma from abuse by the birth care system. It all kind of works together to where I plan UCs unless there is something in my intuition/spiritual promptings that tell me otherwise. At this point, it would require more faith on my part to birth in a hospital with attendants than it would to birth by myself with my husband present.

M.Ed. Mama to Chunka (1/07), Beauty (5/09) and Elizabear 3/12): Birth Doula (working toward certification) AAMI Midwifery Student, Advocating with Solace for Mothers & The Birth Survey

#38 of 49 Old 10-01-2008, 11:41 AM

religion/spirituality plays a BIG role in my UC decision. it is infact why I became interested in it. Feminism and other like things have nothing to do with it for me. I dont want to change the world (though I wish I could!) and I don't want to prove anything to anyone or to myself. it's totally a spiritual issue. about what birth was meant to be and what sex was created to be by God.

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

#39 of 49 Old 10-01-2008, 12:01 PM
Banned

i would say that spirituality and religion had no impact on the choice to UC. for me, it just was the right thing to do; it was logically the right thing for our family (it made sense to us philosophically); so that's what we decided to do.

but, it was also a deeply spiritual process. do i think that process is possible in other settings (MWHB, BC, Hosp)--yes. i think that aspects of those make certain spiritual things easier and certain spiritual things harder. but it's still spiritual either way.
#40 of 49 Old 10-01-2008, 12:47 PM

Quote:

Me too. My UC with dd was the most amazing spiritual event of my life, constantly calling out to God. It was beautiful. And dh and I were so close, him reading the Bible to me and praying with me and for me.

Husband and Wife 4/03, Ds1 9/03, Dd1 8/06, Ds2 12/08, Dd2 due 1/11...bfing, co-sleeping, cding, ecing, bwing, ucing, no-more vaxing, no-more circ'ing, hsing, conservative Christian family.
#41 of 49 Old 10-01-2008, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismommy View Post
Me too. My UC with dd was the most amazing spiritual event of my life, constantly calling out to God. It was beautiful. And dh and I were so close, him reading the Bible to me and praying with me and for me.
that is beautiful!

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

#42 of 49 Old 10-10-2008, 04:46 AM

For me personally, no. It had nothing to do with spirituality. I am very much a loner and a quiet secluded type person. I don't like people looking at me or bothering me or touching me when I am in pain. For me it was because of my personality. I needed to be alone in a dark room where I could just hide from the world and not be social.

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
#43 of 49 Old 10-11-2008, 02:23 AM

For me, it was a spiritual thing. But in an earth-loving, nature-worshipping, seeing divinity in the everyday sort of way.

treehugger.gif Kat- mama to 6 little trees
#44 of 49 Old 10-14-2008, 12:54 AM

I am anti-organizedreligion. Officially agnostic...

and I had my UC in February 2008. I just did it for nature related reasons mostly.
#45 of 49 Old 10-14-2008, 12:55 AM

I am anti-organized religion but my beliefs align with agnostics...

and I had my UC in February 2008. I just did it for nature related reasons mostly.
#46 of 49 Old 10-17-2008, 03:09 PM

I am an atheist.

My planned UC (turned hospital transfer) was borne of many of the non-religious reasons listed here...

-Solitary nature
-Privacy
-Anti-doctors/hospitals
-Simplicity
-Logic
-Nature

I am not a 'spiritual' type-person, either. UC just makes sense. Period.
#47 of 49 Old 10-19-2008, 03:56 PM

I think my religious education had a lot to do with having a base from which to reject the medical model of birth. I think people who go to Catholic school and are raised Catholic are given this great gift even if they leave the Church as teens or adults - the idea that the Truth exists separate from man's authority. So it's not that surprising or disconcerting to me that the entire medical establishment is full of poop on this matter.

My specific decision to give birth in this way with my second child, after an attempted UC and transfer with my first, was primarily motivated by overwhelming intuition, however.
#48 of 49 Old 10-20-2008, 09:25 AM

Yes and no. It started out as me looking for a pain relief alternative to getting another epidural and somewhere in there I stumbled upon UC. It appealed to me and I started researching, only then did I pray about it. I felt led in the direction and that it was the right choice for us. I did pray and talk to God a lot during labor and birth.
#49 of 49 Old 10-20-2008, 07:04 PM

I think that people who UC are very educated/well informed/trust your body kind of people. and *those* type of people are usually at the extremes wrt spirituality. pagan/earth loving or very christian. kind of rare to have a lukewarm/mediocre protestant uc.

wife since 1992; mom to: J 7-95; H 5-98; C 2-03; S 4-05; Micah Zachary born still UC 4-08; UM 9-08; due June 2010

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page