After watching a bunch of UC births on youtube, I 'm wondering.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 49 Old 09-22-2008, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is UC a religous thing for you?I mean, I know birth is spiritual, but was your choice to be unassisted a religous choice?Thanks for sharing.

:::
#2 of 49 Old 09-22-2008, 03:45 PM

For me, religion (or lack off, for that matter) had nothing whatsoever to do with my choice to UC. And come to think of it, spirituality didn't either. Though obviously there was a spiritual aspect to the Birth itself, it wasn't a matter of my choosing UC because of a belief in the sarcredness of Birth.
#3 of 49 Old 09-22-2008, 03:57 PM

Part of it.
#4 of 49 Old 09-22-2008, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Yola View Post
For me, religion (or lack off, for that matter) had nothing whatsoever to do with my choice to UC. And come to think of it, spirituality didn't either. Though obviously there was a spiritual aspect to the Birth itself, it wasn't a matter of my choosing UC because of a belief in the sarcredness of Birth.
:
#5 of 49 Old 09-22-2008, 05:17 PM

i suppose for me spirituality/religion did play a role. i think tuning into your intuition is a very key aspect of ucing. i feel intuition is a God-given gift that all of us possesses, but that not everyone utilizes in regards to birth or even everyday life.

dreads.gif and my man mischievous.gif. Momma to ds1 (11-'04) blahblah.gif, ds2 (8-'08) hammer.gif, dd (3-'12) orngtongue.gif, and Mr Blue, Chiyo, and Fireball, our 3 cat.gifnovaxnocirc.gif intactlact.gif uc.jpg

#6 of 49 Old 09-22-2008, 05:20 PM

For me, everything I do has some spiritual aspect to it. So yes, my decision was based on religion/spirituality.

Julie- living and learning with dh A and dc M (00), A (02), J (02), J (05), A (06), B (07), S (08), ? (10)
#7 of 49 Old 09-22-2008, 05:39 PM

Quote:
:
#8 of 49 Old 09-22-2008, 06:32 PM

I would say no, my decision to UC was not BECAUSE of my religious beliefs. I just read so much about birth and saw that it is a biological process that is way overmedicalized. I do not feel the need to seek out medical assistance when all goes as it should naturally.

However, I do consider myself a spiritual being and a person of faith. My beliefs definitely helped me to prepare for my births, as well as to fully embrace the experience of birth as a profound, life-changing event. That includes my hospital birth, too.
#9 of 49 Old 09-22-2008, 06:35 PM

Quote:
SUCH a good answer. There is a spiritual aspect to birth, but that isn't what drove me to UC. Mismanagement (and management at all) by others during labor and afterward is what leads me to UC. I am able to manage my birth better than ANYONE else, and I WANT that responsibility.

-Kristi
#10 of 49 Old 09-22-2008, 07:37 PM

My choice is for "religious" reasons and non-religious reasons.

I'm a Christian who views highly God's sovereignty in all things. I believe that whatever happens is His will and I trust Him that whatever happens will work out to be the best thing for me whether I understand it or not.

The non-religious part was after dealing with an upsetting hospital birth experience. I was given an episiotomy without my consent. I was made to push as hard as I could even though I didn't want to push that way. I was made to push on my back. I wasn't warned against the dangers of pitocin or an epidural. I was never given any information about anything that was done to me during my whole time of prenatal care. It was upsetting the entire time and I was not happy but I didn't realize that there were any alternatives in my area at that time. I had never heard of UC back then.

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#11 of 49 Old 09-22-2008, 08:09 PM

I chose my UC's for spiritual but not religious reasons. Empowerment is a big part of my spirituality and I felt very empowered with my choice to UC.

Wendi
#12 of 49 Old 09-22-2008, 08:37 PM

Nope. I'll admit I don't see birth as a spiritual thing either. There's none of that in it for me. Mine was almost entirely a personal boundairies thing (though not abuse related).

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
#13 of 49 Old 09-22-2008, 09:59 PM

Nothing spiritual about it. I'd just prefer to keep my babe and myself away from the slaughterhouse.

Of course, I wouldn't be adverse to incorporating spiritual/religious practices into the birth itself.

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#14 of 49 Old 09-22-2008, 10:12 PM

not a religious thing for me either. I am more of an independent thinker/doer. I don't subscribe to any religion exclusively.
#15 of 49 Old 09-22-2008, 10:54 PM

not at all.

~helen~ mama to 5 yo twins jonas and micah and my 2 yo baby boy eli
#16 of 49 Old 09-22-2008, 11:09 PM

I'm not religious at all. I do believe that nature takes care of most things best, though, and birth is one of those things. My main reason for UCing is that I trust the birth process and don't trust medical "authorities" who generally do not trust the birth process. I was most convinced by Dr. Sarah J. Buckley's writings on the hormonal cocktail of birth. Quite the scientific moreso than spiritual argument! Although my belief in science in that it strives to explain the unknown in nature is almost a spiritual thing for me.

I'm a proud mama of two girls! 4/30/06 Madeline, 09/25/08 Amelia
--**I'm here to share my mistakes and learn from yours**--
#17 of 49 Old 09-22-2008, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KindRedSpirit View Post
Is UC a religous thing for you?I mean, I know birth is spiritual, but was your choice to be unassisted a religous choice?Thanks for sharing.
nope. most days i'd call myself a nontheist, though i have some pantheistic leanings, so the intersection of uc and religious practice didn't cross my radar at all.

christina

meafro.jpg, and dhyikes2.gif, -- parenting joy.gifsince 2004, and bouncy.gif since 2007.
"IF YOU ARE NOT OUTRAGED, THEN YOU ARE NOT PAYING ATTENTION." signcirc1.gif
#18 of 49 Old 09-22-2008, 11:36 PM

Not for me. If anything, it's the opposite... as I say in a joking tone but not really joking, evolution is my favorite scientific theory! I think it's cooler than gravity! So, yeah, evolution and nature had much more to do with my decision.

Kash, homeschooling mommy to Gillian (8/5/00) and Jacob (3/23/05)
and Brigid Eleanor (11/20/08)
#19 of 49 Old 09-23-2008, 12:24 AM

i am a spiritual being, but no, i didnt UC because of my religion. i do know Christians who UCed because they desired privacy for this sacred act, didnt want others to see them nude, are modest women. i get that, but it wasnt why i did. (and i am sure it want the only reason they chose UC either) i had two non-UCs and for many, many reasons i found UC for my last 2 births.

Hi, I'm Tabitha. I'm a homeschooling mother of four: ds (11) dd (9) ds (7) ds (5) And I'm expecting a fifth in 2014! Find me at http://www.omelay.blogspot.com
#20 of 49 Old 09-23-2008, 12:51 AM

In that there's spirituality in everything, sure, but that's not most of it. If you truly believe birth works, then you usually at least consider UC. It just makes sense

Sarah
aspiring midwife Mama to Declan - 7/14/00 and Bastian - 11/20/07.
#21 of 49 Old 09-23-2008, 12:59 AM

Not for religious reasons. I do believe that God created the body to work a certain way and trusted that it would work as planned. I believed that after much prayer I would come to the right decision to UC or not. But as a direct decision for my specific religion? No.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#22 of 49 Old 09-23-2008, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherMother'n'Madre View Post
Nope. I'll admit I don't see birth as a spiritual thing either. There's none of that in it for me. Mine was almost entirely a personal boundairies thing (though not abuse related).
:

I didn't trust hospitals before ds1 & really wanted a UC with him because of that (plus I'm a very solitary, introverted kind of person). After being cut open because of hospital policies and bs that had nothing to do with my safety or my baby's, I decided that I wasn't ever doing that again & I was going to have the UC I wanted the first time around.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#23 of 49 Old 09-23-2008, 05:32 AM

truthfully, the only reason i had an UC was because my dd's birth progressed much more quickly than any of us could have imagined. but when it was all said and done - WOW - i never, ever wanted to go back to conventional birthing. there was something truly sacred and empowering about a man and woman together, alone, sharing in the birth of a new being - a being that they created together out of love. it makes me feel connected with the generations that have birthed since the dawn of time in ways that i can't describe. i feel joyous that our second dd's first sight of the world was her father's smiling face and the sun, birds and trees i feel devestated that our first dd's view of the world was a strange man and a plunger coming towards her head.

UC for me has become the standard in birthing (complete opposite from the hospital setting being the standard). i would love another UC for this little one and barring any potential issues that may unfold over the coming weeks, its another UC for me and dh. if not a UC, a homebirth with my midwife.
#24 of 49 Old 09-23-2008, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpenguin View Post
i suppose for me spirituality/religion did play a role. i think tuning into your intuition is a very key aspect of ucing. i feel intuition is a God-given gift that all of us possesses, but that not everyone utilizes in regards to birth or even everyday life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaWoodhouse View Post
For me, everything I do has some spiritual aspect to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaRabbit View Post
Not for religious reasons. I do believe that God created the body to work a certain way and trusted that it would work as planned. I believed that after much prayer I would come to the right decision to UC or not. But as a direct decision for my specific religion? No.
I agree with all of this. For me, it was a spiritual decision not a religious one. My first UC was the most spiritual experience of my life.

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

#25 of 49 Old 09-23-2008, 12:31 PM

Spiritual, yes, religious, no.
#26 of 49 Old 09-23-2008, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpenguin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaWoodhouse View Post
For me, everything I do has some spiritual aspect to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaRabbit View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
I agree with all of this. For me, it was a spiritual decision not a religious one. My first UC was the most spiritual experience of my life.
Yup all the same reasons quoted for me too.

Wife to DH, Mom to my Intact Boys DS1: Born 02 Pain Med Free Hospital Birth, BF'ed for 9 Months, Partially Vax'd DS2: Born 06 via UC, BF'ed 3 years 10 months, and UnVax'd
#27 of 49 Old 09-24-2008, 06:18 PM

Not religion - my church doesn't tell you how to birth... but spirituality yes. My "personal religion," (aka personal understanding, inclinations, and relationship with God) YES. I believe birth is sacred and will connect you to the Divine.

And like PP said, Everything I do is from my spirituality. I am a very spiritual person.
#28 of 49 Old 09-24-2008, 07:58 PM

I plan to UC because I trust my own body more than I trust doctors or hospitals. For me personally it has nothing to do with religion/spirituality

Lu - A ten year plan is forming, here's hoping everything lines up
#29 of 49 Old 09-24-2008, 09:25 PM

Non-religious here. UC because I trust myself far more than I trust the professionals.

Mom to DD ('06) and DS ('08)
#30 of 49 Old 09-24-2008, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayiscoming2006 View Post
My choice is for "religious" reasons and non-religious reasons.

I'm a Christian who views highly God's sovereignty in all things. I believe that whatever happens is His will and I trust Him that whatever happens will work out to be the best thing for me whether I understand it or not.

The non-religious part was after dealing with an upsetting hospital birth experience. I was given an episiotomy without my consent. I was made to push as hard as I could even though I didn't want to push that way. I was made to push on my back. I wasn't warned against the dangers of pitocin or an epidural. I was never given any information about anything that was done to me during my whole time of prenatal care. It was upsetting the entire time and I was not happy but I didn't realize that there were any alternatives in my area at that time. I had never heard of UC back then.

:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page