Need Answers NOW!! Placenta delivery- sad UPDATE, post 24 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 56 Old 10-05-2008, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am at a friend's birth. She delivered the babe about 2 1/2 hours ago and placenta still has not come out. She is doing nipple stimulation, pressure points, and movement. What more can she do and when should we be concerned?
#2 of 56 Old 10-05-2008, 05:55 AM

That is a long time! I hope someone knowledgable replies quick. Is there any area midwife that you could call?

Doesn't massaging the tummy make the uterus contract..? I'm not a midwife so I dont know.

She's not bleeding a lot right?..

Mama to Belly(5), homesteading in the desert with our chickens and sheep. Fish nerd, really into my reef tank. Baby due Sep 3rd!

#3 of 56 Old 10-05-2008, 05:58 AM

If she isnt bleeding a lot I think it is acceptable to wait for it to come on its own. But I am no expert.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#4 of 56 Old 10-05-2008, 06:09 AM

i wouldnt recommend abdominal massage, it can make the uterus clamp down prematurely and you can get a retained placenta, have her breast feed and relax as much as possible.
if she is loosing a lot of blood or her abdomen is becoming hard or distended then she needs to go to the hospital NOW, if she seems stable and isnt bleeding much then just have her relax with her babe for a little while and see how it goes.

good luck!
#5 of 56 Old 10-05-2008, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackies Ladybug View Post
i wouldnt recommend abdominal massage, it can make the uterus clamp down prematurely and you can get a retained placenta,
Good to know!
I've seen it mentioned before on here so I wasn't sure.

Mama to Belly(5), homesteading in the desert with our chickens and sheep. Fish nerd, really into my reef tank. Baby due Sep 3rd!

#6 of 56 Old 10-05-2008, 08:36 AM

Any UPdate?

With no or minimal bleeding; and top of uterus can be felt at or near mom's navel and is quite firm to the touch; and mom feels fine, not shakey, clammy, faint or any other bad thing; then it's ok to wait. Make sure that mom is fed and hydrated and warm enough. If she feels good then she can move around some--take a shower, sit at the table to eat, easy things that put her upright and a bit mobile, which might bring placenta down. If she's tired and all seems well otherwise, she can nap but someone needs to be there with her.

If she continues to bleed more than a minor amt, and/or she starts to feel woozy faint etc, and/or you find the top of the uterus well above the navel and possibly off to one side (this means it's filling up with blood, placenta is probably lying across cervix and blocking the flow)--then help is needed.

sometimes placenta won't come because mom's bladder is full, so make sure that she is able to pee. If she hasn't peed at all, or not much, since the birth, then she most likely has a full bladder whether or not she feels it. Try everything to encourage peeing, including sitting in a couple inches of warm water. Rather than straining, mom should breathe deep and focus on releasing urine gently. Quite often, after a nice long complete urination, a stubborn placenta will fall right out--or at least, contrax are finally strong enough to bring it out soon.

with all good signs in mom, it's ok to wait; some placentas take many hours to come out.
#7 of 56 Old 10-05-2008, 08:54 AM

i retained my placenta after my son's birth for over 2 hrs. My midwife tried a few things mentioned, and finally some gentle traction when i had a few contractions. It was all fine. My birth was really fast, so i think that was part of it. Was this a fast birth?

I am a homeopath, offering acute and constitutional consultations for children, babies, and parents. Long-distance treatment is easy, either phone or skype! I also am certified to offer Homeoprophylaxis, a vaccine-alternative program. Message me for more details. www.concentrichealing.com
#8 of 56 Old 10-05-2008, 10:05 AM

Get up and walk around a bit and then squat.
Blow into a coke bottle. ( I faked it cause I didn't have one) or blow up a balloon.

I have read many UC stories where the placenta remained inside for hours but also know that mine just causes so much discomfort that I want it OUT!

((( praying )))
#9 of 56 Old 10-05-2008, 10:43 AM

I'm anxious to know how it went!???

I know it's probably been a while not, but standing up and squatting or trying to pee/poop (not terribly strained, just normal pressure) is a good way to go. sometimes they need a light tugging. not a ripping pulling like an OB would do - that is dangerous! but a little steady pressure/pulling. you can usually tell the difference by how it feels. and of course, relax and breastfeeding while squatting if at al possible.

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

#10 of 56 Old 10-05-2008, 11:01 AM

Waiting to hear and praying for a super positive "my placenta took forever" story. I had slow placentas also.
#11 of 56 Old 10-05-2008, 11:19 AM

I have to squat or I just don't get it out. Also, coughing and clearing my throat helps it finish detaching and gets it moving toward the vagina.

Hope everything ended up going well!

-Kristi
#12 of 56 Old 10-05-2008, 08:02 PM

I heard in some tribal cultures they tickle the mom's throat with a feather.

Anyway, so long as she's feeling ok & not showing signs of infection/hemorrage, I think it's totally ok for it to take awhile. We've all been pretty conditioned by OB's that it should come out immediately.

Mine took a couple hours with ds2. And a lady I knew on another list had hers take 2 days after her UBAC, although in her case, she thinks the might have had a bit of accreta & it just took that long to release.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#13 of 56 Old 10-05-2008, 08:59 PM

Mine took 7 hours to come out! I wasn't bleeding of course, but the long story was that it eventually came out and then stopped, it was hooked somehow on a membrane...had to cut it.

I stimulated it to come out by massaging both nipples for a loooong time. Finally did come out then stopped, as it was hung up by some membrane. Eech!

Circ doesn't work! Stop the violence of circumcison. Had another UP/UC/HB in August!
#14 of 56 Old 10-05-2008, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmainer View Post
i retained my placenta after my son's birth for over 2 hrs. My midwife tried a few things mentioned, and finally some gentle traction when i had a few contractions. It was all fine. ?
this is what happened after my last birth as well. We walked nursed for over an hour, peed several times. I think I even jumped up and down. I finally, reluctantly agreed to allowing the mw to "lift the cord and tale a look". She did not have to do traction at all. The placenta was just sitting in there for no real reason, other then maybe a hard birth and a big old tired uterus? I have no idea but it was fine. I was shocked by how great I felt the whole time and my intuition told me to go to sleep and not worry about the placenta. I'm glad I didn't listen.

No bleeding (if this had not been mentioned before) does not automatically mean that everything is peachy. There can always be hidden bleeds. Though rare and USUALLY with effects like a growing abdomen and mom looking really bad and feeling aweful, sometimes there aren't good signs. I think it's still a concern that bears considering.

If I had been alone and it had been a good while and no normal behaviors (walking, squatting, nursing, eating and drinking and voiding) were brining the placenta out, I'd want to know why.

Goodluck and I hope it's out now!

Carrie, The Birthteacher CCE and Doula, real mom to five; and womb-mom to G. born at 23w by emergency C. 12/09
#15 of 56 Old 10-06-2008, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabes View Post
Waiting to hear and praying for a super positive "my placenta took forever" story. I had slow placentas also.
I've heard stories where they took anywhere from 5 to over 24 hours. It's all hearsay though as none of it happened to me personally. My MW freaked out and manually removed mine after an hour and 15 minutes.
#16 of 56 Old 10-06-2008, 01:44 AM

mine took 2 hours with Zoe, my last birth (my first UC). My hospital birth it got yanked out after 15 minutes an then I hemmoraged.

Surprisingly, birthing the placenta was harder and actually ha pain. Birthing Zoe was a breeze and painless!

I've had dreams of my placenta during this pregnancy that unnerved me a bit, but then I dreamed last night that all is okay. Someone came to me an told me, so I'm again, not concerned.

I hope we hear soon the result of the situation!
#17 of 56 Old 10-06-2008, 03:46 AM

I'm waiting for an update!

I had never heard of a placenta staying in that long! Its neat, you learn something new everyday. I think the longest time I had heard of was about and hour and a half.

#18 of 56 Old 10-06-2008, 06:26 AM

I have no advice to give but I hope to hear an update soon.

With my first, I had a hospital birth which turned out to be a good thing because I had Placenta Accreta.

With my second, it was an unplanned UC, no major complications during birth but the placenta was lazy and because of the Accreta with my first I had scar tissue left over from that that the placenta could attach to, so I was transported to the hospital where they pushed on my tummy to force it out.
#19 of 56 Old 10-06-2008, 10:54 AM

I second the breast feeding

Lets us know how it goes.
#20 of 56 Old 10-06-2008, 12:50 PM

Mine stayed in for about 7 hours. It was a very low lying placenta. Sometimes when they are low they can take longer. Everything was fine.

Mom to DD ('06) and DS ('08)
#21 of 56 Old 10-06-2008, 12:54 PM

Hope this is long settled by now, but just wanted to add:

My first placenta didn't come out for five hours. It was a drag at the time, but all was fine. Just ouchie contractions.

I hope your friend is well!
#22 of 56 Old 10-06-2008, 01:01 PM

Watching for an update... My thoughts have been with your friend.

Ima to Mizz.Jonas- 14, Isman- 12,Javsar- 9, Nani Gweesa- 4 and Baby Micah born into the Universe sleeping at full term Oct. 19th 2008 and Partner to Abba ~ belly.gif8/2011  Grateful to be Dead  broc1.gif
#23 of 56 Old 10-07-2008, 12:33 PM

Add me to the "me too" list. With my 3rd birth, 2nd UC, my placenta took a few hours to come out. It seems to help me to sit on the toilet for a bit and nurse which is the reason I have never been able to consume any of them

~Lanie mom to Layne, Liam, Maren, Meridian, and Melora
#24 of 56 Old 10-07-2008, 11:55 PM - Thread Starter

My friend was able to contact a midwife who told her it should come out within a few hours and that if it didn't she should go to the hospital for retained placenta. Sadly, the couple went to sleep and when they awoke their beautiful boy had died. An autopsy is being done, but it is believed that it was probably due to heart disease that caused him to not be able to thrive outside the womb. It caught all of us by complete shock as he was a vigorous and well nursing baby- he seemed perfect. Everyone involved is devastated and this poor couple are just beside themselves! I haven't slept well in days- it is simply horrible.
#25 of 56 Old 10-07-2008, 11:59 PM

#26 of 56 Old 10-08-2008, 12:02 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#27 of 56 Old 10-08-2008, 12:03 AM

#28 of 56 Old 10-08-2008, 12:07 AM

oh no, I am so sorry, wat a tragic loss...

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#29 of 56 Old 10-08-2008, 01:04 AM

oh the poor family!!!

:

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

#30 of 56 Old 10-08-2008, 01:07 AM

I'm so very, very sorry. You and this couple are in my thoughts.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page