Freebirth documentary to air on Discovery Health - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 111 Old 10-23-2008, 08:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
no worries, i'll require nearly everyone's help to get this rolling. but i put out a few queries and would do well to have ahold of articles, dissertations, books, birth stories and all sorts of goodies.

and of course, women to interview, births to film, and all of that. the issue is getting rolling. we have a lot of allies already, but whether anyone is going to put up the money or front us is quite a distance from us right now.

basically, my first step was this to query the various filmmakers that i know.
my husband is a videographer, but he's currently in school right now getting his degree...but whenever we actually have our UC you can use our footage! He'll probably end up renting a fancier camera for it than we have (GL2), just because he's like that... but, i'm not preggers yet so it may be a while. ANyway i think its awesome you want to do this and i totally agree, "outsiders" need to be left out of the process
#92 of 111 Old 10-23-2008, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Hos View Post
Heather--one more question for you. We were military people when we had our son also. I was very careful not to mention my idea of a homebirth to anyone in the base hospital--we were worried it may affect my husbands job. Were you worried about that or was he?
We were kind of worried that it would if the hospital had made a big deal out of it. I was alarmed when the doc said he was calling CPS, but nothing came of that. Corey told some of his comrades we were planning to homebirth, and one of them said "That's probably a good idea. The last 3 people I know who birthed there...one of the babies is dead, and one has severe brain damage." Then my friend birthed there a whole later, had to have a C-section, and they nicked an artery, causing her uterus to fill with blood. She had to have emergency surgery and several blood transfusions; she nearly died. No one faulted us at all for chosing homebirth. When they found out we'd done it alone, they were amazed at Corey. He got a lot of pats on the back and congratulations. Two of the higher ups at the base, like the base commander, sent letters of congratulations with things like "Delivering yourselves is an experience you'll never forget!"and whatnot. The reaction was much more positive than we'd expected. I'd expected like quiet disapproval, but nothing crazy.

fambedsingle2.gif Heather, 25, single mom to Corbin, 5, and Orin, 3  uc.jpg  delayedvax.gif  nocirc.gif
Oh how I miss the days of femalesling.GIF  nak.gifcd.gif  
#93 of 111 Old 10-23-2008, 10:57 AM

Quote:
no worries, i'll require nearly everyone's help to get this rolling. but i put out a few queries and would do well to have ahold of articles, dissertations, books, birth stories and all sorts of goodies.

and of course, women to interview, births to film, and all of that. the issue is getting rolling. we have a lot of allies already, but whether anyone is going to put up the money or front us is quite a distance from us right now.

basically, my first step was this to query the various filmmakers that i know.
I am not a UC'er, I homebirth.. But My Dh might be able to help with this!! He is a video editor. Pm me if you think you might need his info!!! And he is always saying how there needs to be more homebirth info out there!!(He does not know much about UC, but I am sure would love to be educated,LOL!)
#94 of 111 Old 10-23-2008, 01:36 PM
Banned

definintely pm me with info about pros and semi-pros and hope-to-be pros interested in the project. yuo never know what can happen!
#95 of 111 Old 10-23-2008, 02:48 PM

Quote:
well, my husband went to a film conference a few days ago, and something occurred to us when he got home.

high time a documentary was made by UCers, not people who see UC as an outsider and some "craze" and need to show the controversy. the controversy is inherent, and one can simply produce--in any sort of medium--their own argument, and let the viewer bring his or her own arguments to bear.

that is, instead of showing "both sides" and asking docs/etc, one can simply say "this is what UC is, these are people who UC and why." because, currently, the controversy is inherent.

so, i'm gonig to start working on this project. i have a few leads and hopefully we can get it done.

i'm really tired of these "outsider" works that ultimately show us as kooks.
Keep me in mind for possible interviews! My kids too!
#96 of 111 Old 10-23-2008, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixafreeze View Post
I'm not doing a film, but that's what my PhD dissertation is, and I hope to turn it into a book after I defend this semester. It's not mere boosterism (as in, UC is the best, hospitals suck and are evil kneevil); I think it has a very nuanced, complex, and honest picture of what UC is about and why women do it and what their values are. A documentary would be great, because visual media is so much more accessible and compelling than boring academic treatises! LOL
I'll read your boring treatise!

I just want to say that I'm glad UC is being presented to America. The more people hear about the option, the more they'll look into it.

Mommy to DD March 2008, DS July 2010
#97 of 111 Old 10-24-2008, 12:01 PM

Decided to PM and can't figure out how to delete post.

mom to boy 14, boy 5, angel.gif  11 week loss, 2ndtri.gif  Expecting a surprise in December! lactivist.gifintactivist.gifhomeschool.gifnovaxnoIRC.gifrocks.jpguc.jpg

#98 of 111 Old 10-24-2008, 12:06 PM

If I didn't care I wouldn't have monitored my placental noises at all. It worried me that they were low. But that's not a sign of placenta previa. I had no bleeding, no pain, no true indicators of PP. People are just ignorant.

Laura has made a site about the show and will be posting the participants' comments about it as soon as we have them written.

fambedsingle2.gif Heather, 25, single mom to Corbin, 5, and Orin, 3  uc.jpg  delayedvax.gif  nocirc.gif
Oh how I miss the days of femalesling.GIF  nak.gifcd.gif  
#99 of 111 Old 10-24-2008, 03:14 PM

I'm so glad someone is regulating the rampant ignorance!

Thanks Laura! Thanks Heather for sharing your story. I haven't been able to watch the show yet, I'm supposed to be able to soon, but have had setbacks.

mom to boy 14, boy 5, angel.gif  11 week loss, 2ndtri.gif  Expecting a surprise in December! lactivist.gifintactivist.gifhomeschool.gifnovaxnoIRC.gifrocks.jpguc.jpg

#100 of 111 Old 10-24-2008, 10:23 PM

Zoe if you need a breech birth I'm in! I have some footage but the photographer is in the way most of the time. But the photos are great.

Overall I liked the show. I was surprised at it actually. I figured there would be more Dr input. I think the births out shined the comments that Dr's had to say anyway.
#101 of 111 Old 10-25-2008, 12:27 AM

I'm going to miss the airing tomorrow morning at 11am. Will it be on again? Anyone know when?

#102 of 111 Old 10-25-2008, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Hos View Post
Oh--and Laura (Shanley)--A Standing "O" for you!

I am always thrilled to know there are women all over America helping others birth how they wish and providing education for them. Thank you!!
I couldn't agree more!!! And a big thank you to all the participants

I'll be watching for the film project. Perhaps I'll be able to contribute somehow when the time comes

orngbiggrin.gif mom of three with stork-suprise.gif on the way

#103 of 111 Old 10-25-2008, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leila1213 View Post
I'm going to miss the airing tomorrow morning at 11am. Will it be on again? Anyone know when?
I'm sure it will air again, but at this point they don't have any air dates scheduled. If I hear of it airing again I'll post info here.
Laura
#104 of 111 Old 10-25-2008, 11:10 PM

ok, i watched it and i dont know if the same sponsors were used all over the US, but i thought it was HILARIOUS that bissell home carpet cleaners was the sponsor for this show. i wonder what the discussion was with their marketing director "well, we are doing a show that will have a lot of homebirthers watching, so they will probably want to buy a carpet cleaner if they are going to be leaking birth fluid all over their house. do you think you can state somewhere in the commercial that it will get blood out?"

sorry, i know i should have gotten more out of the show, but every time the commercial came on i nearly busted up laughing out loud!

"freebirth sponsored by Bissell carpet cleaners"
#105 of 111 Old 10-26-2008, 02:54 PM

Just a friendly reminder to refrain from name-calling. I have removed a couple of posts that were User Agreement Violations for name calling. Please let's keep this discussion civil and free from User Agreement Violations.

Quote:
Do not post in a disrespectful, defamatory, adversarial, baiting, harassing, offensive, insultingly sarcastic or otherwise improper manner, toward a member or other individual, including casting of suspicion upon a person, invasion of privacy, humiliation, demeaning criticism, name-calling, personal attack, or in any way which violates the law.
Thank-you all for keeping this forum a great place to discuss Unassisted Birth!

Warmly,
Wendi
UC Moderator
#106 of 111 Old 10-26-2008, 11:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Can one of you post the special on YouTube or Google Video????

Is it already 'out there' somewhere? I'm having a hard time finding it and I'd love to watch it!

liora in beijing

Liora. Best way to reach me is FACEBOOK, search for "LioraP2". Jewish and Frum In Beijing, Mom of Three (mother of 3: #1 was vaccine injured at age 2m later dx with PDD-NOS, healed in 3 years with biomed. #2 unvaxed and healthy boy. #3 unvaxed amazing girl with Down syndrome using Targeted Nutritional Intervention (TNI) since infancy)
#107 of 111 Old 10-28-2008, 12:34 PM

Is there a difference between the British version and the American version? I friend of my husband taped the British version and we just watched it , but we do not have cable and did not get to watch the one on DH.
#108 of 111 Old 10-28-2008, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackies Ladybug View Post
ok, i watched it and i dont know if the same sponsors were used all over the US, but i thought it was HILARIOUS that bissell home carpet cleaners was the sponsor for this show. i wonder what the discussion was with their marketing director "well, we are doing a show that will have a lot of homebirthers watching, so they will probably want to buy a carpet cleaner if they are going to be leaking birth fluid all over their house. do you think you can state somewhere in the commercial that it will get blood out?"

sorry, i know i should have gotten more out of the show, but every time the commercial came on i nearly busted up laughing out loud!

"freebirth sponsored by Bissell carpet cleaners"

Erica, wife to Jason (March 2002) . Mama to Ava (June 2003) , Jason Jr. [AKA JJ] (August 2004) , Lila (January 2009) , Maura (October 2010) , and a new person in December 2012!
#109 of 111 Old 10-28-2008, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofysmommy View Post
Is there a difference between the British version and the American version? I friend of my husband taped the British version and we just watched it , but we do not have cable and did not get to watch the one on DH.
There wasn't much difference - just a few changes to the narration, so that there's more of a focus on the US. The British version starts off by talking about how 50,000 UK women hemmorhage each year in birth. I told the US producer that I felt that was an unfair statement, as it's implied that birth left to its own devices will naturally go wrong. In reality, many of those hemmorhages are a result of obstretric drugs and interventions, but no mention of that was made in the documentary. In the US version that line was removed from the first part of the show. But - they simply reinserted it in another part of the show.

I did notice two changes, though. In the British version it says I have a cult following! They took that out of the US version, thankfully. Also, the US producer did ask me if I agreed with this statement made at the end of the program: "For Laura Shanley the responsibility rests on the medical community to offer a different kind of support to women." I told him that I would never make a statement like that as I believe the responsibility rests on women. If women truly want to have a better birth experience, they need to educate themselves as to why birth can sometimes be problematic. They did end up making that change to the US version! A minor triumph.
Laura
#110 of 111 Old 10-28-2008, 09:28 PM

thanks so much Laura You rock and thank you so much for letting us (my family) into your home.:
#111 of 111 Old 10-28-2008, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofysmommy View Post
thanks so much Laura You rock and thank you so much for letting us (my family) into your home.:
Thanks, Sara! I just wish they would have included more footage of the gathering. They really should do a follow up with all 5 of you (and me) and your beautiful UC babes!
Laura

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page