Freebirth documentary to air on Discovery Health - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 111 Old 10-07-2008, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Don't know if this has been posted but saw the promo while I was working out. October 21st, Freebirth documentary on Discovery Health channel.
#2 of 111 Old 10-07-2008, 03:05 PM

dangit! we don't get that channel.

~helen~ mama to 5 yo twins jonas and micah and my 2 yo baby boy eli
#3 of 111 Old 10-07-2008, 03:11 PM

tivo'd it!
#4 of 111 Old 10-07-2008, 03:21 PM

oh, man... that just got moved from our cable lineup... darn.

-Kristi
#5 of 111 Old 10-07-2008, 03:23 PM

Do you know what time? I'll be looking for it

Expecting a boy? Be sure to check out MDC's Case Against Circumcision!
#6 of 111 Old 10-07-2008, 03:25 PM

Cool!

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#7 of 111 Old 10-07-2008, 05:21 PM

it's on at 9pm.
#8 of 111 Old 10-07-2008, 06:37 PM

Thanks for letting us know!! I had been wondering about this. The producer wrote to me a few weeks ago and said that Discovery Health was going to be airing it and he wanted to make sure some of the "facts" stated in the program were indeed facts. I wrote him a long letter and told him that not everything they said was factual, but I'm not sure how much they'll actually change. By the way, this is the British UC documentary "Outlaw Births" with a new narration geared toward US audiences (I believe). Clips from the British program can be seen here - http://outlawbirths.com

One of the things he asked me about was a statement made at the end of the program that (paraphrasing) "Laura Shanley believes the responsibility to change current birth practices lies with doctors and midwives." I told him I would never make a statement like that, as I believe the responsibility to change birth lies with women. Of course it would be great if doctors and midwives would change too, but reforming the medical or midwifery community has never been my goal.

It will be interesting to see what, if anything, they change. Overall it was a good documentary, but there are several "throw a brick at the TV" moments! I know that Heather wasn't very happy with how her story was presented, and of course the majority of my interview ended up on the cutting room floor. Expect numerous comments from medical professionals about the dangers of UC, but also nice comments from UCer's.
Laura
#9 of 111 Old 10-07-2008, 06:45 PM

Found this on their web site:

http://health.discovery.com/tv/crib-...ebirthing.html

Freebirthing
Premieres Tuesday, October 21 at 9 pm
A growing movement of women in the US and in the UK are defying medical advice and choosing to give birth with no drugs, no midwife and absolutely no medical support. Supporters claim it's how having a baby was always meant to be. Doctors say this new 'freebirthing' craze carries great risks.

In this program, we chart the stories of three pregnant women who have decided to go against the advice of their doctors and go it alone. With intimate access, we follow the challenges they have to overcome from negative family opinions and medics, to their own fears and through to the eventual and extraordinary births.

Watch the premiere, Tuesday, October 21 at 9 pm on Discovery Health!
#10 of 111 Old 10-07-2008, 06:45 PM

I will definitely be watching it...thanks for the info!
#11 of 111 Old 10-08-2008, 02:42 AM

Yeah, Thanks I'm looking forward to finally seeing the whole thing!

nak.gif Mommy to fencing.gifKai 2/03, hammer.gifCaden 1/08, energy.gif Kara 10/09, angel1.gif 3/21/13, &

rainbow1284.gif baby.gif  Cole 2/3/14 ♡ Happily unmarried to geek.gif Papa since 2002 ♡

~We may not have it all together  but together we have it all~ uc.jpgsaynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactivist.giflactivist.gif 

#12 of 111 Old 10-08-2008, 02:55 AM

I may end up having to miss it... I really hope that they show it more than once, or at least make it viewable afterwords on the net.
#13 of 111 Old 10-08-2008, 02:07 PM

If it does become viewable on the internet afterwards, I hope someone will post that information. I'm interested in watching it, but I have a feeling that I'll be rather frustrated with it.

M.Ed. Mama to Chunka (1/07), Beauty (5/09) and Elizabear 3/12): Birth Doula (working toward certification) AAMI Midwifery Student, Advocating with Solace for Mothers & The Birth Survey

#14 of 111 Old 10-08-2008, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurashanley View Post
Found this on their web site:

http://health.discovery.com/tv/crib-...ebirthing.html

Freebirthing
Premieres Tuesday, October 21 at 9 pm
A growing movement of women in the US and in the UK are defying medical advice and choosing to give birth with no drugs, no midwife and absolutely no medical support. Supporters claim it's how having a baby was always meant to be. Doctors say this new 'freebirthing' craze carries great risks.

In this program, we chart the stories of three pregnant women who have decided to go against the advice of their doctors and go it alone. With intimate access, we follow the challenges they have to overcome from negative family opinions and medics, to their own fears and through to the eventual and extraordinary births.

Watch the premiere, Tuesday, October 21 at 9 pm on Discovery Health!
Wonder if they'll have it on youtube as we don't watch tv anymore.

LOL, freebirthing 'craze'....yeah the doctors are so worried because it'll cut into their bottom line- money! What about giving women a choice..nah, can't do that, right?

Circ doesn't work! Stop the violence of circumcison. Had another UP/UC/HB in August!
#15 of 111 Old 10-09-2008, 09:50 AM

Those crazy women ... thinking they can birth by themselves ... we can't allow that ... *mutter splutter mutter*

#16 of 111 Old 10-09-2008, 11:55 AM

Yeah, as usual we're portrayed (in the promo, anyway) as being crazy and irresponsible. In the actual program they're more respectful, although there are comments throughout from people in white coats who claim we are endangering our lives and the lives of our babies. Of course, there's no danger in hospitals!

But I think there are so many misconceptions in our society about birth and UC specifically that it may take a while to dispell the myths. For instance, in this statement alone there are two major flaws - "In this program, we chart the stories of three pregnant women who have decided to go against the advice of their doctors and go it alone." I don't know about these women, but many of us don't go against our doctors, as we don't consult with doctors, at least not when we're pregnant.

Also, the idea that because we don't have medical "help" we're "alone" simply isn't true. For most of us our UC's are a joyous family event, or at least one we share with our partners. Even when I gave birth by myself, I never felt like I was alone. I deeply felt the presence of my baby and the larger consciousness - God, Goddess, the innerself or whatever we choose to call it.

As far as the program airing more than once, yes, it will air several times. The Oct. 21st date is the premier, but it could actually air dozens of times over the course of a few years, and perhaps be available on demand.
Laura
#17 of 111 Old 10-09-2008, 03:17 PM

Well, you know, it's crazy not to have a doctor! It's really important to go out and hire someone to take authority over your life and the welfare of you and your children. It's not like women can get educated about birth and think for themselves! /sarcasm

I really can't imagine anyone actually freebirthing doing so because it's a "craze". It's an attempt to devalue our choice making ability. I birthed in a hospital and nothing horrible happened to me or my baby. I did it drug free and with "minimal" intervention. So why would I choose to birth alone for my next child? Because it was right for me.

I understand that I'm in the minority, but I don't understand why it is such a hard concept for people to wrap their heads around. Can't they see what really happens to women who give birth in hospitals? *sigh*

Mom to DD ('06) and DS ('08)
#18 of 111 Old 10-09-2008, 04:24 PM

Time to set the DVR! well my boyfriends dvr that is, LOL. I am too curious to miss this

Lisa~Was Aspiring Midwife~Now-AAMI Midwifery Student #2020~Mama to Zackery 3/29/96, Drake 9/22/01, and Selina 10/26/03...and here was the link to my new blog
#19 of 111 Old 10-09-2008, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paphia View Post
Well, you know, it's crazy not to have a doctor! It's really important to go out and hire someone to take authority over your life and the welfare of you and your children. It's not like women can get educated about birth and think for themselves! /sarcasm

I really can't imagine anyone actually freebirthing doing so because it's a "craze".

I actually laughed out loud...
#20 of 111 Old 10-15-2008, 12:32 PM

:
~maddymama
#21 of 111 Old 10-15-2008, 02:16 PM

:

uc.jpg  lotbirth.gif   waterbirth.jpg 
#22 of 111 Old 10-17-2008, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paphia View Post

I really can't imagine anyone actually freebirthing doing so because it's a "craze".
"Hey honey, look at this new craze, hmm, freebirthing? let's jump on that! hmmm, when am I fertile again?"

wife since 1992; mom to: J 7-95; H 5-98; C 2-03; S 4-05; Micah Zachary born still UC 4-08; UM 9-08; due June 2010
#23 of 111 Old 10-21-2008, 01:30 PM

I am looking forward to seeing this tonight. I expect bad things, but hope to at least be occasionally pleasantly surprised. ( I am not holding my breath however.)

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#24 of 111 Old 10-21-2008, 01:34 PM

I love the commercial for it where they talk about this "controversial procedure".

Huh? There are no procedures. That's like, the point.
#25 of 111 Old 10-21-2008, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday Girl View Post
I am looking forward to seeing this tonight. I expect bad things, but hope to at least be occasionally pleasantly surprised. ( I am not holding my breath however.)
Yes, expect to be frustrated at times. But some truth did get through!
Laura
#26 of 111 Old 10-21-2008, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsInDigital View Post
I love the commercial for it where they talk about this "controversial procedure".

Huh? There are no procedures. That's like, the point.
This is what gets me it's not a procedure it's a natural process!!

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#27 of 111 Old 10-21-2008, 11:03 PM

so what did you guys think?

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#28 of 111 Old 10-21-2008, 11:06 PM

not as bad as I expected. Occasionally one of the doctors comments would annoy me, but overall I thought it was okay. Could have been more real information presented, they missed a great opportunity but maybe they are afraid of offering real information b/c you know then too many women might get ideas. sarcasm in that last bit)

#29 of 111 Old 10-21-2008, 11:33 PM

I signed up for this site despite the fact that I am a mother 4 times, and a grandmother twice. No more for me. I would never choose to home birth let alone free birth (high risk pregnancies, one cesarean). However, I respect those who choose this path as long as they fully educate themselves so the baby is protected.

The reason I wanted to comment is concerning the woman in Colorado, who free birthed and then went to the hospital because of difficulty with the placenta. I was shocked at the treatment she received there! Here was a woman who had just given birth and the doctor showed no compassion whatsoever. I have seen shot up gang members and drug addicts shown more respect and concern! And the doctors and hospitals wonder why women don't want to have babies there!

I guess she should have told them she had the baby on the highway, that seems to be acceptable. : (
#30 of 111 Old 10-21-2008, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANNEE View Post

I was shocked at the treatment she received there! Here was a woman who had just given birth and the doctor showed no compassion whatsoever. I have seen shot up gang members and drug addicts shown more respect and concern! And the doctors and hospitals wonder why women don't want to have babies there!

I thought she was treated rather well considering the treatment that I and others have received during a transfer. I'm surprised she was allowed to leave without the police and CPS being called and it appears that they didn't try to force her to have the babe admitted.

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page