How helpful was a birth tub compared to a regular tub? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 10-08-2008, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you had one or more waterbirths or labored in water, was it significantly more helpful to labor in a birth tub, or was your own tub fine?

The reason i ask is because i was all set on eventually buying a birth tub, ya know, one of the cheapy $25 ones with a pool kit from a waterbirth site, but i keep seeing all these photos of women UC'ing in their own bathtub.....

was it easy enough to maneuver around? were you reclining while pushing? squatting? on all 4's?? I guess i just assumed a bathtub would be super uncomfortable. I'm not plus sized but i'm not tiny, when not pregnant i'm about 5'6" and 145 lbs....
#2 of 14 Old 10-08-2008, 01:29 PM

I didn't like it. My tub was too small. Maybe because we live in trailer house. Still I think the luxury of a big tub would have been nice ... maybe next time we can fix leak behind the garden tub. It would be perfect!

nak.gif Mommy to fencing.gifKai 2/03, hammer.gifCaden 1/08, energy.gif Kara 10/09, angel1.gif 3/21/13, &

rainbow1284.gif baby.gif  Cole 2/3/14 ♡ Happily unmarried to geek.gif Papa since 2002 ♡

~We may not have it all together  but together we have it all~ uc.jpgsaynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactivist.giflactivist.gif 

#3 of 14 Old 10-08-2008, 02:17 PM

I had a large inflatable kiddie pool for my first birth--it's the one you see everywhere that UCers use that you can buy on the internet. I hated it. I felt like I couldn't get any real leverage or get comfortable or anything.

Second birth, I used my own bathtub which was fine, but very narrow. I ended up using the shower a lot and then getting out of the water for pushing.

With baby #3, I used my in-laws' large jacuzzi-type bathtub. It was awesome because the sides were hard and molded. It was very comfortable.

In all three births, though, I did greatly enjoy the use of a shower.
#4 of 14 Old 10-08-2008, 02:39 PM

I didn't UC but we did use a pool. Originally I'd planned on buying the standard blow-up fishy pool, but my MW insisted that was a bad idea and let me use her Gentle Birth Pool. And I'm so glad we did, because I got in it while it was filling up and it was only bathetub-deep at that point, and I was MAD because it only went halfway up my belly and therefore only took half the pain away! A fishy pool wouldn't have been much better. Once it was completely full the water went up past my chest and the relief was immediate and complete.

As for leverage, I did have problems with that. I really needed to anchor myself during contractions, and in the pool I was just floating around, since it was so big and there was nothing to brace myself on. I wound up not spending much time in the water because that was very bothersome. After pushing for 2 hours I got back in and managed to clamp myself onto the side of the pool in a squat, which was very effective in finally geting that baby out.

If I'd been able to use a tub with the same depth, but smaller and with some kinds of handles and footholds, it would have been perfect.
#5 of 14 Old 10-08-2008, 03:02 PM

For me personally, there's no way the bathtub would be comfortable. Too narrow, not enough depth to the water, and plus the sides are so hard.

Last time we used a fishie pool. It took forever to fill. This time we're going to use the La Bassine. 100 gallons vs. closer to 200, plus the two handles on the inside!

Kash, homeschooling mommy to Gillian (8/5/00) and Jacob (3/23/05)
and Brigid Eleanor (11/20/08)
#6 of 14 Old 10-08-2008, 03:56 PM

I have a garden tub...it's sort of like a very deep, very wide...sort of like this

Mine is actually pretty deep...some of my friends have garden tubs that aren't as deep.

I have to say that the best thing about the garden tub was no setup and very little clean up. What I did was birth the babe, while I had him snuggled on my chest in towels we let out the water. Then I birthed the placenta. Then, since our shower is right next to our garden tub I brought the shower sprayer over the window that is in there and we sort of rinsed.hosed me then the tub off as I was getting into the tub LOL. It was super easy clean up!

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#7 of 14 Old 10-08-2008, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

that's what i figured, that a normal tub wouldnt be too comfortable unless you were a very small person. I saw La Bassine and thought it looked great and i like that it contains no phthalates or anything in the vinyl but i doubt i'll have that kinda money to pay for it.

MAN i wish i lived in my old apt. We had a 90 gallon Roman bathtub in our master bath! DH (who's 6'5" and 275) and i could both fit in it fine even when i was 9 mos prego!!!

man, i wish i still had that.......
#8 of 14 Old 10-08-2008, 05:19 PM

So does anyone else want to do a "Could I birth in this tub" thread... lol... I've been contemplating since we installed our new tub whether I could labor in it. (I'm not pregnant, just uber planning). I don't really have any desire for a water *birth* but I definately want to labor in the water.

We're also in the process of installing a hot tub, but it's outside, so it would depend on what season I was giving birth in. I could see a midwife not wanting me to deliver in the tub when it's -40C out. lol.

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#9 of 14 Old 10-08-2008, 05:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
My first was born in a bathtub, and my second was born in a birth pool, and the birth pool was much different. I could move around so much, changing positions, and always stay under water.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#10 of 14 Old 10-08-2008, 08:29 PM

I didn't give birth in the bathtub, but I did labour there. It was horrible!! We have just a standard tub. It was impossible to turn around, impossible to get comfortable & I could not get the water over my belly & back at the same time.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#11 of 14 Old 10-08-2008, 08:29 PM

Please, get yourself a nice comfy birth tub if you don't have a really large spacious bathroom tub. Mine was horrible..I had to squat with my legs sideways to stay in the water...no room to move. I wished we would have had a nice deep birth tub. In the bath tub we had, the water barely reached my lower back and the tub was filled as far as it would go. The only 'positive' about our bath tub was, the water didn't get cold.

Circ doesn't work! Stop the violence of circumcison. Had another UP/UC/HB in August!
#12 of 14 Old 10-09-2008, 09:59 AM

I used a blow up kiddie (fishy) pool for my last two births. I liked it but DEFINITELY had trouble getting my bearings while pushing. The sides are firm but not sturdy or solid enough for me to really grab hold of, which made pushing more difficult for me.

This time I am planning to get a 150 gallon Rubbermaid Stock Tank from Agway. It will cost a lot more (about $150.00) but I can re-use it or loan it out or find some other use for it, etc. The stock tank is a bit deeper and and shaped more like a bathtub instead of a round pool so hopefully it will make for an easier waterbirth.
#13 of 14 Old 10-09-2008, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asherraifsmom View Post
that's what i figured, that a normal tub wouldnt be too comfortable unless you were a very small person. I saw La Bassine and thought it looked great and i like that it contains no phthalates or anything in the vinyl but i doubt i'll have that kinda money to pay for it. .
I'm a very small person, and our tub (a normal average one) just wouldn't do it. I needed to be able to kind of "hang". My friend who is a doula graciously lent me "La Bassine" that she had. Maybe you could find someone who already has one? Or would be willing to loan/sell it to you for cheap? Sterilizing it isn't difficult, and it would save you a lot of cash!

Creating Art. Living life on Guam. Sharing my Journey.

#14 of 14 Old 10-09-2008, 10:32 PM

So I started hunting around for stock tanks because I liked the idea as a birth tub alternative and I found this:
http://www.cowboyhottubs.com/

Complete with free 30 day trial! That means you could order, have a 30 day window in which to give birth and then send it back. You'd be out shipping that's it.

I wouldn't do it because my "backyard" is an open courtyard to a playground and my complex's outdoor space, and I'd feel a little exposed...But I thought some of our rural/forest dwellers might think it was a cool idea.

M.Ed. Mama to Chunka (1/07), Beauty (5/09) and Elizabear 3/12): Birth Doula (working toward certification) AAMI Midwifery Student, Advocating with Solace for Mothers & The Birth Survey

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page