Leukocytes in urine - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-26-2008, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone here done their own urinalysis and found a "moderate" level of leukocytes in their urine? Everything else on the strip looked great. I'm sure it's nothing to worry about, but I want to be sure.

Erica, wife to Jason (March 2002) . Mama to Ava (June 2003) , Jason Jr. [AKA JJ] (August 2004) , Lila (January 2009) , Maura (October 2010) , and a new person in December 2012!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2008, 02:44 AM

I wouldn't worry much.. Could you have had some discharge in there too? I know that can effect the levels. Could you have a UTI?

~*Candice*~
Wife, Doula and SAHM to six and expecting a new addition July 2012!namaste.gifnovaxnocirc.gifh20homebirth.gif

Old 10-27-2008, 08:04 AM

Most likely to be a normal finding. Most likely, it is from your cervical mucus getting into the sample just a bit--which does contain leukocytes normally.

If you have had UTIs in the past, that could mean that you tend to be a carrier of e. coli or group b strep (or 'other'--but those 2 are most common culprits in UTI, as far as I know). The leukocytes then, could be coming from your bladder/urinary tract. This might also be a normal finding for you--your body sending white blood cells (leukocytes) to the ur. tract to control germ populations there so that you don't actually get an infection.

The leukocytes in urine could also mean that you do have an impending infection--that you are in the early stages of an infection. If you do tend to get UTIs, I would suggest that you suppose an infection is generating even if you can't feel it yet symptomatically--and use your usual measures to stop it (lots of water, cranberry juice or extract, blueberries/other berries, d-mannose....). If you use such natural measures for a few days/a week, they won't hurt you at all, even if you're really NOT starting an infection.

Leukocytes in the urine most often comes from contamination by cervical fluids...and is a normal finding. IF you have UTI symptoms, and/or IF you have an established tendency toward UTIs--then it may be helpful to look at those leukocytes as a possibly impending infection and act on that. If not, tho--I'd just ignore it.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you!

MsBlack, you're so knowledgable and helpful. I read a lot of what you post. Thanks so much. I am going to up my intake of water and cranberry juice and recheck a few days later.

I was group b strep + during my first two pregnancies. This time around, I am taking probiotics and plan on washing with hibiclens down below during my normal shower routine. I was told this should get rid of the group b strep by January (Baby #3) I wonder if I should even bother being tested for it. I suppose that'll mean I'll have to see a doctor or midwife. Hmmm.

Erica, wife to Jason (March 2002) . Mama to Ava (June 2003) , Jason Jr. [AKA JJ] (August 2004) , Lila (January 2009) , Maura (October 2010) , and a new person in December 2012!
Old 10-27-2008, 04:59 PM

You're very welcome!

As for gbs, having it in your vagina does not mean you have it in your urinary tract....tho it becomes more possible of course.

I would not worry about the gbs. Not sure what you mean about washing with hibiclens--how much you are talking about doing? It should be fine if you only do a wash during the final week or so of pregnancy (1 or 2 times only), and again one time, once you are in labor. Hibiclens is not good to use often--can be absorbed through your skin and is not good for babies. It can also cause irritation to your vulva and vagina.

I can give you more info about using hibiclens if you like--don't want to say more without knowing more from you, maybe we're already on the same page. But there is important info about using hibiclens--appropriate % dilution, where/how to wash with it, etc.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBlack View Post
You're very welcome!

As for gbs, having it in your vagina does not mean you have it in your urinary tract....tho it becomes more possible of course.

I would not worry about the gbs. Not sure what you mean about washing with hibiclens--how much you are talking about doing? It should be fine if you only do a wash during the final week or so of pregnancy (1 or 2 times only), and again one time, once you are in labor. Hibiclens is not good to use often--can be absorbed through your skin and is not good for babies. It can also cause irritation to your vulva and vagina.

I can give you more info about using hibiclens if you like--don't want to say more without knowing more from you, maybe we're already on the same page. But there is important info about using hibiclens--appropriate % dilution, where/how to wash with it, etc.
About the GBS, I was told by a midwife that by taking probiotics and washing with hibiclens during the final weeks of pregnancy, it should eliminate gbs and the (small) risk it carries. I never did decide when to start using it. I guess there's some more info I need on when and how much I need to actually use to get the job done. I didn't realize that it was actually harmful!

For me, having a history of GBS, what would you suggest?

Old 10-28-2008, 12:03 AM

first, you need to use a .2% solution of hibiclens--that's 2/10 of 1%. At my local pharmacy, it sells in a bottle that is 4%, and at some hospitals I've seen hibiclens in packets also at 4%. This may be a common solution--but when you go to buy it, you need to look for what % solution it is. If you get 4%, then it needs to be diluted by 20times with water to get to .2%

The wash is a sort of low douche. You only need to rinse the lower regions of the vagina, which is where gbs hangs out. This is NOT a thorough 'high' douche that reaches the cervix, not at all. You could put the solution in a peribottle maybe, and then, using one set of fingers to hold your labia open, place the squirting end up to your yoni and squeeze it in. You could do this in the shower, maybe putting one foot on the edge of the tub to make for easier access.

As I said before, you only need to do this a time or 2 during the last week/s of pregnancy, and then once early labor.

But I do not worry about gbs. It should be enough to watch baby after the birth during the first days/weeks for signs of infection--just as we keep an eye on babies anyway in the early time, to be sure that all systems are 'go' and nothing strange arises when they are still transitioning to life outside the womb. Breathing, color, nursing, sleeping, alert periods, temp, peeing/pooping, general muscle tone/activity, rashes....

The greatest risks w/gbs come with babies born prior to 37 wks, babies that weigh 5lb or less, babies that have other problems going on anyway; also, if your water is broken for a period of days prior to birth. When babies are full term, well-nourished and generally healthy, the risk of infection low--the risk of death from infection even lower.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBlack View Post
first, you need to use a .2% solution of hibiclens--that's 2/10 of 1%. At my local pharmacy, it sells in a bottle that is 4%, and at some hospitals I've seen hibiclens in packets also at 4%. This may be a common solution--but when you go to buy it, you need to look for what % solution it is. If you get 4%, then it needs to be diluted by 20times with water to get to .2%

The wash is a sort of low douche. You only need to rinse the lower regions of the vagina, which is where gbs hangs out. This is NOT a thorough 'high' douche that reaches the cervix, not at all. You could put the solution in a peribottle maybe, and then, using one set of fingers to hold your labia open, place the squirting end up to your yoni and squeeze it in. You could do this in the shower, maybe putting one foot on the edge of the tub to make for easier access.

As I said before, you only need to do this a time or 2 during the last week/s of pregnancy, and then once early labor.

But I do not worry about gbs. It should be enough to watch baby after the birth during the first days/weeks for signs of infection--just as we keep an eye on babies anyway in the early time, to be sure that all systems are 'go' and nothing strange arises when they are still transitioning to life outside the womb. Breathing, color, nursing, sleeping, alert periods, temp, peeing/pooping, general muscle tone/activity, rashes....

The greatest risks w/gbs come with babies born prior to 37 wks, babies that weigh 5lb or less, babies that have other problems going on anyway; also, if your water is broken for a period of days prior to birth. When babies are full term, well-nourished and generally healthy, the risk of infection low--the risk of death from infection even lower.

Oh my, Thank you so very much! Again, I didn't realize how damaging Hibiclens could be. I would have never thought it would need to be diluted THAT much! I'm glad that I have all of this cleared up in my head and I know exactly what to do. What a relief!

Old 10-28-2008, 11:46 AM

You're welcome again.

Too bad that mw said 'wash w/hibiclens in last weeks of pg' without giving clearer instructions....maybe she is not aware of further instructions. If you can contact her easily, you might want to pass this info along to her. She should be able to google it, hmm, if I have it right, in the UK they are using hibiclens in early labor, there have been some trials. But I'm not sure about links--I'll look and see if I've saved any. I have had numerous in depth discussions about gbs on mw lists in the last couple of years--I know I've read articles linked to those discussions but I'm not sure I saved any of them. Sometimes I don't--I just tell myself, 'oh, when I need that link it'll be right here on this or that forum to go fetch'. then, well, time passes and I don't always remember just where, which list and so forth.

all the best.

User Tag List