Talk to me about placentas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 11-03-2008, 03:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm pregnant with #3, #1 and #2 were born at home with the assistance of a m/w. I have a midwife with this baby as well, but she lives an hour away, and with #2 I was only in labor five hours (from the very first contraction). So there's a real possibility that I might not call the midwife in time for her to get here before baby arrives.

At any rate, with my last two babies the midwives started getting nervous when my placenta didn't come out right away. Both times, it took a bit to come out (I don't know how long?) and then I bled enough for my midwives to start getting anxious. I have trouble peeing, then I drop a couple big clots, pee, and my uterus firms up nicely. I don't feel dizzy or nauseated.

So, what's the story? How long do I wait for my placenta to come out before getting worried? How do I figure out how much blood loss is too much?
#2 of 13 Old 11-03-2008, 01:37 PM

I am not going to stress too much about the amount of time it takes to deliver the placenta as long as it is not accompanied by bleeding, weird bp readings, expanding uterus etc.

Any blood loss over 2 cups is considered PPH but you have to catch it in order to measure it.
#3 of 13 Old 11-03-2008, 01:49 PM

One way to avoid a full bladder causing placenta obstruction is to pee often during labor. Without being too strict or overly attentive about it, checking with yourself every hour or so, to see if you need to pee, can be a good idea. If you go 2hrs or more without feeling the urge to pee, but have been drinking all along, chances are that your usual peeing sensations are being obscured by all the sensations of labor, pressure of baby, etc. Which means it can be a good idea to try to pee--sit in warm water to relax fully, try hands and knees and various positions, hold up the belly for a few minutes, put a few drops of peppermint ess. oil into the toilet, above all don't think about pushing or forcing the pee to come out--more like releasing it. Put your attention on peeing, feel and visualize that you are opening up to let it out.

After the birth, you may find that with no one to tell you what to do that all will go fine with placenta and bleeding. Uninterrupted bonding time, upright positions, getting something to drink and eat--all can contribute to easier placenta delivery. Some women just take longer to detach and release the placenta. If it gets to be a whole hour, especially if you haven't peed yet since birthing, try again to release urine as above in case that is in the way.
#4 of 13 Old 11-03-2008, 05:55 PM

Well, I peed all over the chux pad I had on the floor in the middle of transition, I seriously was not going anywhere. About fifteen minutes later ds was born. After we snuggled for a bit I tried getting up to pee, and not a lot came out. This happened several times over the course of the next seven hours. I tried showering, squatting & giving a good push, etc. There was almost no bleeding, my uterus was clamping down nicely, not getting boggy - so I waited. After 5 hours I called a mw to check on me, she took a look, it was detached by hour 6 but not coming out, so gave some very gentle traction and it didn't move. So I waited a little longer, went to go squat & pee again, this time a lot of urine was released and the placenta plopped right out after that. Phew, it was hard being patient but better than transferring for something that just needed time. BTW, my placenta was quite low during the pg, which may have contributed to it taking longer.

If you want to, try reading up on it more in the midwifery text Heart & Hands.

Mom to DD ('06) and DS ('08)
#5 of 13 Old 11-03-2008, 06:50 PM

If your baby needs the placenta, it can take a while for it to come out. My second baby was really fluidy, lots of mucus in his nose/mouth right after birth. He needed the oxygen from the cord/placenta for almost an hour after birth, until he was breathing well on his own, and the placenta didn't come out for about 50 minutes after birth. Because he had the placenta still, there was never a worry about him at all. It could possibly have been because of a full bladder, not sure, but the baby wasn't breathing well enough to nurse either, so I think full bladder or not, it would have taken that long for the placenta. (In contrast, my first baby's placenta came out 4 minutes after she did, and our newest baby's placenta came out within about 30 minutes of birth, so it's not necessarily that I take a long time to birth the placenta.) It is uncomfortable to wait though!

Mama to four: 10, 7, 3, and 1

#6 of 13 Old 11-04-2008, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you! :
#7 of 13 Old 11-04-2008, 09:34 AM

sewing mama--

I would be really surprised if your baby was getting anything from the placenta after 5-15min from birth. Most often, even a placenta that has not fully released is still done working within that time frame. Of course, there are tons of 'variations on the norm', and birth often has variations that are particular to the needs of the mom/baby involved, so I don't exactly rule out the possibility that your baby really did keep on with an exchange through the placenta. Still, I find myself very curious--did you check the cord for a pulse at all? Did you note what the cord looked like?

A 'working connection' will show a cord with color and 'life'--blue-ish usually, bluey silver; and it will be firm, have some body--it's kind of like a live snake, I think. There will be a pulse that can be felt when you hold the cord--a pulse at the same normal rate as baby's heart rate (so, approximately 120--160per minute, more or less). Once the placenta is done working, first thing is usually that the pulsing stops--or it becomes slow and erratic before stopping entirely. Also, the cord becomes limp and white and much thinner than it was at birth. It loses color and firmness. gets thinner, because nearly all of the blood has drained out of it.

While there is seldom any reason to rush the clamping/cutting of the cord (and of course lotus birthers never do at all), I usually see cords 'ready to cut'--thin, white, limp--within 10 min of birth. Occasionally longer--but I don't think I've ever seen a cord show any sign of life beyond 15or so min. from birth. This is true even at births where baby was born in some degree of distress, not breathing well or something.

Again, just curious here. I've never heard of, or seen a placenta keep functioning as long as you say, it's a fascinating possibility! If there is anything you can say about what I've mentioned above (if you noticed any of the signs--maybe you were far busier noticing the baby), I'd love to hear it--pics would be even better, if you have any of you/baby in that first hour after birth that might also show the cord.

thanks
#8 of 13 Old 11-04-2008, 10:40 AM

This is a great thread ...

I've been curious as to what is considered a long time for placenta to come ... and what is considered (for a UC) within the normal range. With my last two births - I was busy with baby for a while and then the afterpains got so bad that I could not really focus on anything but delivering the placenta ... but I think it was 90 minutes to 2 hrs after the baby was born with both.

We cut the cord after the placenta was birthed so I'm wondering if it would 'come' quicker if we cut the cord within 30 minutes after it was 'dead' and white and flat ... does staying connected to the baby make it more difficult to detach.

Also, I never 'felt' it detach but felt that heaviness on my cervix and knew it was coming ... how do you know when it's detached? Just by the little bit of blood that some women see?
#9 of 13 Old 11-04-2008, 11:16 AM

I've never seen an ucut cord cause any issues with placental detachment--placenta will detach in the right time most often, whether or not cord is still intact.

Most women just naturally feel the aftercontrax and an urge to push, when placenta is ready. Not always an urge to push tho, tho usually getting into an upright position, and/or moving around some will give you the pushing signals.
#10 of 13 Old 11-04-2008, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBlack View Post
sewing mama--

I would be really surprised if your baby was getting anything from the placenta after 5-15min from birth.

Again, just curious here. I've never heard of, or seen a placenta keep functioning as long as you say, it's a fascinating possibility! If there is anything you can say about what I've mentioned above (if you noticed any of the signs--maybe you were far busier noticing the baby), I'd love to hear it--pics would be even better, if you have any of you/baby in that first hour after birth that might also show the cord.

thanks
I honestly don't know. It wasn't a UC, and I was paying more attention to the baby than to the cord. It is possible that he wasn't getting anything from the placenta after the first few minutes, but for whatever reason, it wasn't ready to come out for a while after birth, for sure. I don't know if it would have come out sooner if he'd been nursing right away, really not sure. I had mainly wanted to point out that sometimes it does just take a while for the placenta to come out, and that that's not necessarily a problem.

Mama to four: 10, 7, 3, and 1

#11 of 13 Old 11-04-2008, 12:03 PM

Ok, cool--
thanks for letting me know. You are certainly right that some placentas don't come out as soon as others--and this is not necessarily a problem, just normal for that birth.
#12 of 13 Old 11-04-2008, 03:24 PM

Here's my experience: with my son he was born on the floor of my bedroom (side lying position) and after he came out I simply did not want to move for awhile. I curled up on the floor with him and just relaxed. In other words, I didn't squat or stand. I felt so exhausted from it all that I just laid there and didn't worry about the placenta. After a couple of hours, though, I knew I had to get up because I really needed to pee so I hobbled over to the bathroom with my baby in my arms. Out plopped the placenta into the toilet as soon as I started peeing. There went the nice lotus birth I had planned I could have throughly washed it off/cleaned it, but that was on the bottom of my priority list at that point. Anyway, I didn't have much bleeding including after the placenta was born. It all felt very natural to me...
#13 of 13 Old 11-04-2008, 11:06 PM

Wish I could be more helpful, but I wasn't even aware of passing my placenta... It wasn't an UC, but I am reading this because I would consider one if there's a next time, not that my HBAC midwife wasn't wonderful. Just like the idea of UC. My placenta came out in 21 minutes according to the midwives, and as for what I did, I ate it. Not all at once, but frozen, raw, and then portioned and blended up with spicy V-8 so as not to taste it. Surpassed my expectations so far as boosting my mood and energy levels. I didn't eat any right after birth, and if I had it to do over, I would for sure. It was like a miracle, how much it helped.

So I get to wear the Gross and Weird crown in most circles, but if more women knew how great it is for relief of postpartum mood swings, and how much it helps in recovery, there'd be a whole lot of placenta eating going on! Even to the day I gave birth, I joked with my midwives that I reserved the right to back out on trying it, because I wasn't sure I could stand it raw, and even the cooking idea was gross, but tried it raw because I felt cooking would denature the hormones. Anyway, after what it did for me, I'd eat it in a box or with a fox, spicy V-8 or no. LOL

Urban Homesteader, secular homeschooler, HBACer, sewing cloth maxipads, reading Diana Gabaldon, (rhymes with 'cobblestone') hoping for a Star Trek future rather than a Firefly one.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page