self check/DH check cervical dilation - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 11-09-2008, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How do you self check and/or have DH check dilation? Can you give me a website for judging dilation with fingers? Is it a cm/finger correlation?
#2 of 8 Old 11-10-2008, 12:23 AM

http://prepforlabor.tripod.com/id14.html

http://www.sweethaven02.com/ObsNewbo...les2_img_1.jpg

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#3 of 8 Old 11-12-2008, 03:27 PM

http://www.unassistedchildbirth.com/....php?f=63&t=30

Mum to DS (8yrs), DD (6yrs), and DS(3.5yrs). kid.gif

#4 of 8 Old 11-12-2008, 03:38 PM

I have never been able to check ... can't reach my cervix around my huge belly but didn't try this time ...

Spiritual Midwifery has a diagram like the one posted above ...

Just to let you know, the link above with the circles ... they are not measuring right on my monitor ... not sure it it is due to my settings or the site is 'off' a bit but the 10cm is smaller for me.

Love that first link ... I bookmarked that months ago when someone posted it.
I don't know if it's necessary to check for dilation in a UC birth ... but it is nice to have the option in pregnancy if you want to do it.
#5 of 8 Old 11-12-2008, 07:39 PM

I just want to second the thought that you do NOT have to check. As long as you are laboring well, don't mess up the flow by trying to "do the math". I never reached inside myself for my birth with ds and he came out just fine. It's a good option if you're becoming exhausted or something seems "off" in labor and you're considering your choices, though.

Mom to DD ('06) and DS ('08)
#6 of 8 Old 11-12-2008, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarian_mama View Post
How do you self check and/or have DH check dilation? Can you give me a website for judging dilation with fingers? Is it a cm/finger correlation?
Get a ruler, and measure...that's the only way you'll know if there is a direct correlation. For my dh it's pretty close, he can made some adjustments and knows.

I don't check myself, firstly can't reach and secondly, don't care to But during labor it has been helpful for me, to have an idea of when I'm approaching transition because of my mental preparations. It's also been helpful while pregnant because I tend to have premature labor to know if it's actually affecting my cervix or not. So when I was 14 weeks and started having contractions, dh could check to see if it was a 'flat on your back' type of bedrest or move around and take care of the kids type of bedrest.

Nine kids run.gif and four angel.gif, living and learning all the time

#7 of 8 Old 11-13-2008, 08:26 PM

I kinda "winged it," LOL. Since I'd had a couple of babies already, I could tell I was approximately 1 cm for a while. When I had been having contractions for a couple of hours, I checked myself, just to see if I could discern a difference, and I could -- I guessed about 4 cm with a bulging bag of waters. (That was based on the fact that I had checked myself in early labor with my second baby, just out of curiosity, and then the MW had confirmed about 4 cm a little while later.) Plus my labor pattern matched what I knew to be about 4 cm from my previous births. Then a while later, I checked again, just out of curiosity, and while I couldn't tell how dilated I was, I could tell it was more than it had been earlier, still with the bulging bag of waters. Once my water broke, I did try checking again, because with my second baby, I had been almost completely dilated before my water broke, and then when it did, my cervix closed up several cm, and it was a couple more hours before I was fully dilated, so I wanted to see if that had happened again. I couldn't tell, though, this time. However, it didn't matter -- I never had someone tell me that I was 10 cm and could push this time; I just had a couple of contractions after my water broke that ended in small pushes (not sure if they were voluntary or not), and then I felt the unmistakable feeling of the baby crowning, and he was born a couple of minutes later, less than 20 minutes after my water broke. So obviously I was complete, or at whatever point I needed to be at for him to be birthed. Something told me to push a bit with those contractions, hoping to bring the baby (who still felt really high after my water broke) down a bit, and then it all happened really fast. Listening to your instincts is a good, good thing!

(I have read that 10 cm is somewhat subjective. First of all, different people may guess 10 cm slightly differently, especially if their finger size differs. Second, I have also read that tiny/premature babies don't necessarily need a full 10 cm, and some babies need more than 10. The latter makes sense to me -- my first two babies had heads bigger than 14" and one came out posterior, so the largest diameter very well may have been bigger than 10 cm. So with my UC, I figured I'd push when I just could not help it anymore, and really, that's what happened.)

Mama to four: 10, 7, 3, and 1

#8 of 8 Old 11-13-2008, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingmama
Second, I have also read that tiny/premature babies don't necessarily need a full 10 cm, and some babies need more than 10.
Yes, and also, being fully dilated doesn't mean the body is ready to birth the baby!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page