HemHalt, Shepard's Purse, or Wombstringe for possible PPH? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 11-13-2008, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm getting together my birthing supplies, and hemorrhage has been my biggest worry, so I've been doing lots of research to really know what to do, I'm going to get Placenta Out, and then either HemHalt, Shepard's Purse, or Wombstringe (which has shepard's purse in it)... but I'm not very herb savy yet, so I'm not sure which would be the best? Any herb knowledgeable mamas want to help me out?

Lisa, mama to Orion (7) , Fiona Star (born sleeping @ 38wks 12/6/08) , our bitty (m/c 7/27/09) , and Charlotte Athena (11/5/10)
#2 of 12 Old 11-13-2008, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i made homemade cayenne tincture for PPH.
#3 of 12 Old 11-13-2008, 05:01 PM

I just went through this. A few pieces of placenta helped a lot, along with blue cohosh. Then some liquid chlorophyll to replace blood lost was what I used to take care of the problem. HTH

Julie- living and learning with dh A and dc M (00), A (02), J (02), J (05), A (06), B (07), S (08), ? (10)
#4 of 12 Old 11-13-2008, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks Sheryl oh my I have no stomach for anything *hot*, I know that the hemhalt has cayenne in it, but I'm hoping I can deal with it mixed with the other things... and I've read about vaginal application and oh my I can't imagine putting hot stuff there! But thanks for letting me know

Julie I def. plan on having some placenta if I need to (I warned squeemish Dh, because he'd be the one cutting me bitty pieces if I need it), I really want to dry and encapsulate it as well... And both the hemhalt and the placenta out have blue cohosh in them as well. Ponder ponder. And liquid chlorophyll would be great to have on hand for after too!

Lisa, mama to Orion (7) , Fiona Star (born sleeping @ 38wks 12/6/08) , our bitty (m/c 7/27/09) , and Charlotte Athena (11/5/10)
#5 of 12 Old 11-13-2008, 09:01 PM

Do you have access to "Wise WOman Herbal for the Childbearing Year" By Susun Weed?
I recommend getting it. It covers so many things.

In the book she actually advises NOT to use cayenne.
Here is an exerpt:

Cayenne Caution: Although Capsicum is recommended by some herbalists as a successful in controlling postpartum bleeding, this fast-acting herb is in disfavor among midwives; some go so far as to call it dangerous. It does slow down a hemorrhage, but it also stimulates circulation. The danger hides in a false sense of security: Having seemingly aleviated the problem, the midwife tends to other concerns, only to find that the hemorrhage has returned with increased vigor behind her back. In addition, Cayenne does not contract the uterus, a necissity if bleeding is to be totally controlled.

For hemorrhage when the PLACENTA IS ALREADY OUT! Shepards purse is the best recommendation. 20-40 drops (of fresh herb tincture) under the tongue can stop hemorrhage in 5 seconds.
Don't use it if the placenta is still in the uterus. It can cause huge clots in the uterus because the placenta is preventing them from being passed.

I'm getting a Sheperds Purse Tincture made from only fresh herb (not dried).
Because Susun weed recommends using single herbs.

For retained placenta: Angelica root tincture. 30-50 drops under tongue
-Witch Hazel Tincture (10-20 drops) is very effective at stopping bleeding, but it does'nt cause the uterus to contract which is essential to stopping hemmorage, but it can help slow bleeding while the placenta is still in the uterus.

For retained placenta and Hemorrhage:50 drops of Angelica and 20 drops Blue Cohosh of immediate clamping and emptying of uterus.

For hemorrhage after delivery of placenta: 20-40 drops under tongue

Hope this helps!!!!

-Megan
Heather Rische likes this.

aka: wannabeamamamia
SLC vegan mom to 2 boys- &
#6 of 12 Old 11-13-2008, 09:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
And where do you get this stuff? In Canada, specifically? Does Mountain Rose Herbs carry it? They would actually be my last resort because their shipping to me is out of this world, but, you know, necessity and all that. I think I've decided on Shepherd's Purse and Angelica.

For greater things are yet to come...

#7 of 12 Old 11-13-2008, 09:40 PM

Im pretty sure that MOuntain rose carries most of it. SOme times they are out of stuff, though.

Just do searches for fresh herb shepards purse tincture or what ever you are looking for on google. I found a few that were around $10 UsS dollars each,
I dont have time to look for you...(sorry!)
If i get time later tonight i will look.

#8 of 12 Old 11-13-2008, 10:14 PM

I used Hem Halt with my last UC and it seemed to help. I plan on having Clorophyll on hand this time as well.
#9 of 12 Old 11-14-2008, 09:43 AM

I used Angelica and Hemhalt after my last birth, but neither one did anything as far as I could tell. The placenta did not come out and the bleeding, which was a steady faucet-like stream, did not slow down or stop. I guess they must work for some people and not for others?
#10 of 12 Old 11-16-2008, 05:59 AM

I agree with wannabeamamamia, but i think best is to first assess blood loss after the placenta is birthed; perhaps you won't need anything.

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
#11 of 12 Old 11-16-2008, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majikfaerie View Post
I agree with wannabeamamamia, but i think best is to first assess blood loss after the placenta is birthed; perhaps you won't need anything.
Of course. And there are other things to help you assess your situation. Like gently feeling the uterus to see if it is firming up and shrinking. If it is not shrinking and firming up, thats a problem. And gentle massaging of the uterus can help it to start to contract.

Some one correct me if i am wrong. But I have heard only to massage the uterus if necissary, not routinely, because it can agitate the uterus and it can potentially cause more problems.

Getting enough vitamin K throughout pregnancy, especially in the last month of two of pregnancy can help prevent hemorrhage. vitamin k helps clot blood.
You can get it by eating dark green veggies. And also you can drink nettle and or alfalfa infusions.

Susun Weed reports that 10 drops of motherwort helps to prevent hemorrhage, but warns that repeated doses can have the opposite effect.

-megan

#12 of 12 Old 11-17-2008, 05:09 AM

true about not massaging the uterus unless absolutely necessary.

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page