Tongue Tie Question - Page 12 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#331 of 346 Old 11-09-2009, 08:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iI think I need both. DD appears to have tongue tie, and a lip tie as well.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#332 of 346 Old 12-04-2010, 08:09 AM

Again reviving this old thread to

1. thank you all!

2. ask if anyone knows if lower labial ties cause any troubles? My ds#3's upper labial tie has caused his tooth decay on his upper teeth. But my ds#2 can the same decay on his lower front teeth, extremely uncommon. They all have lower labial ties, and I'm wondering if this caused/contributed to his decay there. Dentists even said it looked like he was "pooling" there with the night nursing, but that that was unusual. And, if they do cause troubles, does anyone know of any benefit to clipping it? His teeth have already been removed (they were that bad), but dd#2 now has the same thing and I'm doing whatever I can to get rid of her ties and save her future teeth.

Thanks

FAs, co-sleeping, babywearing, extended nursing, positive parenting, homeschooler

#333 of 346 Old 12-04-2010, 08:19 AM

a short/thick lingual frenulum can cause as many issues as a short/thick labial frenulum.  The trick is finding someone who knows what they're looking at AND knows how to correct it.

#334 of 346 Old 12-04-2010, 12:49 PM

Thank you again PB!

FYI, I found the updated link to this AAP article for any future folks needing it. http://www.aap.org/breastfeeding/files/pdf/BBM-8-27%20Newsletter.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn.mama View Post

Here's a link to the article: http://www.aap.org/breastfeeding/8-27%20Newsletter.pdf

CSS is the C-Section Syndrome and Allergies thread... its about allergies being linked to use of antibiotics and gut dysbiosis, not just cesearean birth.

It sounds like you're on the right track! Keep searching!

Lisa

FAs, co-sleeping, babywearing, extended nursing, positive parenting, homeschooler

#335 of 346 Old 12-04-2010, 03:52 PM

Thank you.  Now that she is no longer practicing it's even more of a treasure.

#336 of 346 Old 12-05-2010, 10:01 AM

Now that Dr. Coryllos isn't practicing, is there anyone on the east coast who can handle this?  Both of my sons have what seems to be type four.  My younger DS (eight months) got snipped when he was two months old, but it was only the stretchy part, not the mucosa, and appears to have grown We're not having much nursing trouble fortunately, but I worry for the future health of their teeth.

<>< Alison
#337 of 346 Old 12-05-2010, 03:01 PM

There is a doctor in NY who seems very hip to the issues.  PB recommended him.  Here is his website:

http://kiddsteeth.com/index.html

and I found this interesting website:

http://www.tonguetie.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=8&Itemid=7

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#338 of 346 Old 12-06-2010, 04:20 PM

yup, Dr Kotlow in Albany and Dr. Scott Seigel in Long Island.  Both are excellent and truly understand the issues.  Also Dr. S worked with Dr Coryllos (he was who she referred older kids to for the laser revision.)

#339 of 346 Old 12-09-2010, 10:41 AM

Yay! He saw it! My GP saw the tongue tie (and maxillary tie, actually, though I educated him about that one). He does clip them, but agreed that hers was type 3 or 4 and he didn't feel comfortable doing it. However, Yay #2, there is an oral surgeon right here in Lansing that does both, but not by laser. Off to see if I could get lucky enough to find a second in the area... Wish me luck.

#340 of 346 Old 12-10-2010, 04:55 PM

I had my dd's tongue tie clipped at six weeks, but the doctor did not clip her maxillary frenulum, which is quite tight and thick. I am wondering if I can take her to an oral surgeon for this? She is 13 months now.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#341 of 346 Old 12-10-2010, 08:01 PM

Here an oral surgeon was the first recommendation... BTW, in case any future mama is looking in my area, http://www.osalansing.com/ does all ages, all types of tongue and maxillary ties, and they use a laser. They do not accept my insurance, however, ($375/procedure. Not totally outrageous by far, but more than we can afford now) so I'm still hunting. Mid-MI ENT does both (they also did my 9 yr old's tonsillectomy), they do not use a laser, and they will put my 7 year old under anesthesia in the hosp to do it, so I'm not thrilled about using them. However, they do accept insurance... Difficult decisions.

ETA, took my kids to Mid_MI ENT to have them looked at today. They do NOT do both, only tongue, and they do not use GA... Guess the person that answers the phone knows nothing. And he looked at my kids with type 3 and 4 and said he wouldn't do them, that there's no reason to and it's dangerous to get so close to the salivary glands. Sigh. Off to find another lead. Just wanted to post in case anyone else in the area is ever looking, they know not to waste their time.

#342 of 346 Old 01-10-2011, 05:36 PM

Bumping this up again.  DD (age 3) has been getting ST since Sept (again) for her poor tongue coordination, which we think it the reason she doesn't eat well and isn't growing well even on HGH injections.  Basically the theory is that she knows she can't handle many textures of foods so she avoids them.   The ST has made great progress but even with V-stim and lots of exercises in weekly therapy she really cannot bring the tip of her tongue down at all (as in to lick your bottom lip).  Also she has recently learned how to sweep her inner cheek on the left side but she can't do the same on the right.  The most she can lateralize to the right is to get the corner of her lips.  The question of TT has come up several times since she was an infant but nobody could ever say definitively that she was.  But there is a doctor now in the area who is a TT expert - studied in California with someone.  So I took DD to this doc last week and she said she definitely has a posterior TT.  The doc is a Family Practice doc so she doesn't do OR's - she clips with a local in her office only.  DD is far too anxious to ever let that happen, and even if we were successful at getting her clipped she would likely never trust a doctor again, which won't work because she goes to doctors all the time.  So we're thinking about going back to the ENT and asking him to clip, which people who are familiar with him say he will if a professional tells him he should - he just doesn't know how to diagnose it himself.  But that would be under a general in the OR.  Or we are looking into whether someone in the area would do it with nitrous oxide and a local but I suspect it will be better covered by insurance going the OR route.

SSOOOOO, anyway, the Family practice doc said she can't make any claims as to whether the clipping will help with the tongue coordination issue.  Does anyone have any experience or knowledge on this?  Does it make sense that an asymmetrical range of motion would be due to a tongue tie? 

Laurie Busy mama to Boo (10/02) DeeDa (10/04) and Belly (10/07) TS 45X
#343 of 346 Old 01-11-2011, 06:27 AM

It makes complete sense to me.  

But I would be really concerned that the person who is going to do the clipping can't tell that it is tied.  How will he know how far to clip?  That would freak me out.  If he cuts too far, there is a major blood vessel there!

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#344 of 346 Old 01-11-2011, 07:41 AM

I stumbled upon this thread...and can't really "answer" your question, but....our daughter had a frenulum release surgery at about 1.5 yo. It was amazing! By that night, even her cries sounded different.

She still has some oral-motor issues, sensory stuff, etc....but the tongue-tie surgery helped a lot with her speech/sounds...She still has some asymmetry, etc....at the time we had just started with an SLP and I can't really say if things got better after the surgery with that (we didn't really know to look at it, to tell you the truth).

Good luck,

Laura

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieGView Post

SSOOOOO, anyway, the Family practice doc said she can't make any claims as to whether the clipping will help with the tongue coordination issue.  Does anyone have any experience or knowledge on this?  Does it make sense that an asymmetrical range of motion would be due to a tongue tie? 

#345 of 346 Old 01-11-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieG View Post

It does with many kids.  I'd contact someone like Dr. Kotlow in NY who does this routinely.  He wouldn't necessarily see the difference, but he may get feedback from those that do.

#346 of 346 Old 02-24-2012, 03:10 PM

bump, tons of info here!

I have a blog.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page