Tongue Tie Question - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 346 Old 12-03-2008, 01:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks. We actually have a CST appointment for tomorrow morning (and the tongue appt in the afternoon), so I better call the doc in the morning to see if clipping tomorrow is a possibility. Then I can reschedule the CST for later in the day.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#62 of 346 Old 12-03-2008, 02:55 PM

Well, she said that clipping today is a possibility!! I am so psyched for this appointment. I don't know why... I'm sure I will freak when it actually comes time for the procedure. But it's so exciting to finally have a piece of the puzzle that is FIXABLE!!! I canceled our CST for this morning, and they are going to try and work me in right after the appointment this afternoon.

Would love it if you could all send your peaceful, calming vibes this way. DD is a pretty mellow baby (she totally sat still through her SPT- didn't bother her a bit), but she does not like fingers in her mouth, so I have a feeling that it might be a little traumatic. I already put the Rescue Remedy and aconite in my purse, so I'm ready with those anyway. :

#63 of 346 Old 12-03-2008, 03:17 PM

Oh my gosh. I totally have butterflies in my stomach for you. Fingers crossed. I can't wait to hear how it goes. Maybe I should call and make an appt. now. I am especially curious what, if anything, is given to DD for sedation. I am scared to see my DD out of it at all but I think that's the only way it could happen. She also HATES fingers in her mouth.

Still a sleepy mama to my fabulous 2 year old girl
#64 of 346 Old 12-03-2008, 03:18 PM

I'm thinking of you! It will be okay. She'll do great, the doctor will be wonderful, you'll be brave.
#65 of 346 Old 12-03-2008, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Good luck! I can't wait to hear how it goes. DD will be fine and it will all be over with quickly!
#66 of 346 Old 12-03-2008, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
:::
#67 of 346 Old 12-03-2008, 03:23 PM

All is well.

Pat

I have a blog.
#68 of 346 Old 12-03-2008, 03:45 PM

Thanks you guys- you're the best!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoulaMary View Post
Oh my gosh. I totally have butterflies in my stomach for you. Fingers crossed. I can't wait to hear how it goes. Maybe I should call and make an appt. now. I am especially curious what, if anything, is given to DD for sedation. I am scared to see my DD out of it at all but I think that's the only way it could happen. She also HATES fingers in her mouth.
I'm really curious too. If it requires GA, I will really have to think long and hard about getting it done... but it sounds like she's totally comfortable trying it with no medication whatsoever. I have butterflies too... I'm totally counting down the hours to our appointment (only 5 to go!)

#69 of 346 Old 12-03-2008, 09:32 PM

so happy for you!!! : sure everything will go really well.

so happy :that you brought this up in the css thread ff. i just spoke the the IBCLC in my area abt this to see if she can come check us out when my: new LO arrives G-d willing and she was totally in the know. She got fired from her job as a hospital LC for talking abt tt too much b/c the drs there didnt beleive in it. good news, kinda.

She even told me abt the best dr here in ISrael for it ( a few hrs drive ) and that he even clips adults and she sent me an article by him discussing many possible effects of tt in babies kids and adults. I realy want my dh to do it - his tie is huge and we will see what the diagnosis is for the rest of us.

can someone tell me more abt the CST? WHat questions should i ask to know if i found a good one? there is one who lives down my block, but she told me she mostly does energy healing now and on her sign it lists a whole ream of alternative therapies that she works with. i dont know how in depth her training is in CST.

ETA - could a person justtake a dropper bottle and put a fe balls of aconite 30c and a few drops of RR in it with water and make the remedy like that?
#70 of 346 Old 12-03-2008, 10:53 PM

Just got home... and we're done! At least for now. She checked out DD's mouth, as much as DD would let her, and said that it looked like a posterior lingual tie, and that DD's upper labial frenulum was the thickest/tightest that she's ever seen. So we decided to start with the lingual frenulum and she said if we wanted to, she would try to clip it. The oldest babe that she had done was 11 months, and then after that it was 6 years, so we just broke the record. And she said straight up that if she couldn't do it, that we weren't going to find anyone to do it. So I said let's go for it! Tossed back some Rescue Remedy and dabbed a little on DD's tongue...

She swaddled up DD really tight, and that just pissed DD right off. She was mad, and crying pretty hard. But I stayed by her head, and DP by her feet, and she stayed pretty still during the clipping. She clipped it, no meds or anything... and DD was literally fine as soon as we unwrapped her. Then I nursed her, and she was good to go!! I of course couldn't see it, and I'm sure DD won't let me look in her mouth to see how much was clipped... but the doc said she did a moderate clip, as much as she could right now, and we'll see if that does it or if we need to clip more in the future. We go back next week to see how things are going and if DD starts to gain any weight. And then we'll do the labial frenulum too (not sure if we'll do it at that visit or later; she wants to see what effects the first clip will have before she does the second.)

So yay! We made it through!! : And we have a CST appointment first thing in the morning. What a day... :yawning:

#71 of 346 Old 12-03-2008, 10:53 PM

omg, i totally lost track of this thread. i didnt even know you were getting her tt clipped! how did it go?! i hope everything went ok and that dd is feeling better:
#72 of 346 Old 12-03-2008, 10:54 PM

Wow, we totally posted at the exact same time.

#73 of 346 Old 12-03-2008, 10:58 PM

oh im so happy for you guys! its so wonderful that you found something you could definitively fix and now that part is done!!! im so glad it went well. thank goodness your little dd is and easy-going little doll.
#74 of 346 Old 12-03-2008, 11:22 PM

That is such great news. I'm also "glad" to hear it was a posterior tie since those are the type that are tied (no pun intended) to digestion issues. I will hold a very good thought that this piece of the puzzle helps in all aspects of her situation. Hmmmm....my DD is 4 months older than yours so I wonder if she will want to clip????

#75 of 346 Old 12-04-2008, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter

That's so exciting! I really hope this helps your DD. It's so frustrating that we have to do all this research and diagnose ourselves, but I am so glad we have such wonderful and knowledgeable women on this board to guide us!

Now I really wish I didn't have to wait another 2 weeks for our appt ...
#76 of 346 Old 12-04-2008, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waluso View Post
That's so exciting! I really hope this helps your DD. It's so frustrating that we have to do all this research and diagnose ourselves, but I am so glad we have such wonderful and knowledgeable women on this board to guide us!

Now I really wish I didn't have to wait another 2 weeks for our appt ...
I can't wait to hear how your appointment goes!

No kidding... I don't know where we'd be without all the mamas here. This stuff just infuriates me. I feel like sending our old ped a very long letter and telling him that before he starts harrassing people for not shoving solids down their LO's throats when they're about to fall off the growth charts, maybe he should take a look inside their mouth and see if there's anything preventing them from taking in as much BM as they could! I know that was a really long sentence that probably didn't make sense... gotta run though, dinner's cooking.

#77 of 346 Old 12-04-2008, 12:59 PM

wow, glad to be here

So happy that everything worked out well with your lo and the clipping
my head is just :

It makes a lot of sense to me, some of my kids had latch problems in the begining ( being LLL and after the first 2 you'd think I knew enough about latch ), it was a very frustrating time ....and I have suspected tt sometimes only to be dissmised by ped, thaa even if it was it was really "minor" and would "grow" so should'nt impact the baby.....: some have food allergies, my youngest had reflux, and he only poops(sorry tmi) every 3 days, no matter what we do ..or don't, so that tight sphincter thing has got me thinking......
would cst help that???? he doesn't have speech problems ( he is now 5) .

dd 15 had touble latching on as a newborn, we then used to see a D.O. who did classical homeopathy and cst, she nursed for the first time without help after her first cst session at age 3 weeks btw she has mvp( mitral valve prolapse) which I think qualifies as a minot heart murmor. I get episodes of svt( havn't in while though) and so do 2 of my siblings as well as 2 of my dc.....aaaand she was a bedwetteras a young child and slept so deeply that she didn't even wake up from being wet........
I just recently found someone really good close by who does cst and was wondering if it would be worth the big $$$$ to try with ds???? anyone btdt, or any imput , or personal opinions are greatly appreciated.
I also found someone about 1 1/2 hours away that does tt clipping in the event that our new lo has these issues ....
I am so thankful to you mamas to be armed with all this good info before the birth of this lo, although I so wish I knew more when I had my other kids
I feel like I have always been trying to connect the dots.........
#78 of 346 Old 12-04-2008, 01:02 PM

That is WONDERFUL news! I'm so happy it went so well. :
#79 of 346 Old 12-04-2008, 01:31 PM

yippee

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#80 of 346 Old 12-04-2008, 02:12 PM

Well... last night was pretty rough. DD was WIRED at bedtime, would not go to sleep... just kept climbing around the bed, giving everyone kisses, banging on DP's head as he's trying to sleep... Finally she crashed sometime after 10:30 (I'm pretty sure I fell asleep first, so I'm not sure exactly when she fell asleep ).

Then she woke up screaming at 1am. And definitely not a normal scream. It was a very angry scream, and she was throwing herself around tantrum style. She didn't even want to nurse. I picked her up, and she just tried to throw herself out of my arms. She didn't seem to be in pain (not grabbing her mouth or anything), it was like she was having a dream or flashback of being tied down and was freaking out.

I threw an aconite ball into her mouth, rubbed some Rescue Remedy on the soles of her feet, and then she let me nurse her and eventually fell back asleep. But it was a bit nerve wracking while it lasted! The rest of the night was uneventful, although she spent most of the night sleeping on top of me.

#81 of 346 Old 12-04-2008, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post

I threw an aconite ball into her mouth, rubbed some Rescue Remedy on the soles of her feet,

I just had to laugh at the combination of words in this sentence. Not one of the sentences we diagrammed in high school. Nor, thought I'd ever hear or read said. (only on MDC)

Glad you all are doing well. :

Pat

I have a blog.
#82 of 346 Old 12-04-2008, 02:37 PM

LOL! Yeah, say those sentences to your average person on the street and they'd look at you like you had two heads! I love it....

#83 of 346 Old 12-04-2008, 02:37 PM

does anyone know if teeth grinding is tied to tt?
#84 of 346 Old 12-04-2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mombh View Post
It makes a lot of sense to me, some of my kids had latch problems in the begining ( being LLL and after the first 2 you'd think I knew enough about latch ), it was a very frustrating time ....and I have suspected tt sometimes only to be dissmised by ped, thaa even if it was it was really "minor" and would "grow" so should'nt impact the baby.....: some have food allergies, my youngest had reflux, and he only poops(sorry tmi) every 3 days, no matter what we do ..or don't, so that tight sphincter thing has got me thinking......
would cst help that???? he doesn't have speech problems ( he is now 5) .
Don't be too hard on yourself. LLL is a mother to mother support group and none of the leaders are trained in newborn physiology. I have never seen a LLLL do an internal suck assessment....they aren't there for these kinds of problems. LLL is for support in normal nursing behavior. Great for what it is, but don't beat yourself up over missing this. It isn't your fault! However if you are still active, think how much this experience will help other moms!

CST is wonderful at regulating the body. I would always pursue it. However by age 5 it *generally* has resolved to my knowledge. It he is teid it's probably more of a gut issue than a structural one-but CST will still be helpful for support.
#85 of 346 Old 12-04-2008, 04:57 PM

I meant to chime in before that my 2 allergic kids have mild mid-line issues (I've talked to firefaery about this before). Both have a little dimple just above their bum cracks. They're very shallow and not anything like spina bifida or pyloric stenosis (sp), but they're visible. Both kids also seemed to have funny tongues. The crease down the center seemed more conspicuous. We used to call dd Shamu because she had a big killer whale tongue, lol! We thought ds was tongue tied when he was born because he would not. latch. on. at all. We did CST and tube-feedings and ultimately, I had to pump around the clock to feed him. Turned out not to be tt; he had a broken collar bone that was undiagnosed: and it hurt him to latch (his mouth couldn't support the weight of my breast while sucking). He sucked on a bottle just fine because it didn't put pressure on his face/jaw.

I do wonder how much of this is structural and how much of it is related to a nutrient deficiency that is then related to food intolerances. Ds seemed to have skin issues right from birth (I didn't recognize them as such in the beginning). The spitting, too. Whereas, dd's issues didn't become apparent until after she started solids (and she also started reacting to her trigger foods in my milk then, too).

Anyway, just rambling
#86 of 346 Old 12-04-2008, 06:56 PM

Wow- I'm glad I didn't see our ped before going to the tongue tie doc and getting DD clipped... her reaction was kind of shocking, and included something along the lines of "it's very bloody" (it's not) and "I'd never do that to a child" before I could tell her that we had actually just had it done. Made me kind of feel like shit.

#87 of 346 Old 12-04-2008, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinese Pistache View Post
I meant to chime in before that my 2 allergic kids have mild mid-line issues (I've talked to firefaery about this before). Both have a little dimple just above their bum cracks. They're very shallow and not anything like spina bifida or pyloric stenosis (sp), but they're visible.
Ds has a dimple at the base of his spine, just as you describe. Do you have any links about more info?

Thanks, Pat

I have a blog.
#88 of 346 Old 12-04-2008, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Wow- I'm glad I didn't see our ped before going to the tongue tie doc and getting DD clipped... her reaction was kind of shocking, and included something along the lines of "it's very bloody" (it's not) and "I'd never do that to a child" before I could tell her that we had actually just had it done. Made me kind of feel like shit.
That's awful! But you've done enough to know that she's wrong. She's probably just being defensive because she didn't catch it.
#89 of 346 Old 12-04-2008, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Or is should make you feel more educated than your ped. I'm sorry she had that reaction. Addressing the tt wasn't an easy thing on your part, it was a tough decision, made in a tough situation. It sounds like she hasn't connected the dots--though I guess very, very few doctors, or other medical professionals, have, so she's not unusual.
#90 of 346 Old 12-04-2008, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
Ds has a dimple at the base of his spine, just as you describe. Do you have any links about more info?

Thanks, Pat
I'm sorry, I don't. Firefaery mentioned the connection a while back and I realized, hey, we've got some weird mid-line stuff, too. I think she's got info on it. FF, you out there??

Since neural tube defects are related to a lack of folic acid, it makes me wonder if even a mild deficiency could be related to food allergies somehow. Or more specifically, a folic acid *absorption* problem on my part, because I was consuming folic acid through vitamins and food (not enrichments, but whole foods). My two older kids do not have these issues.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page