Tongue Tie Question - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 346 Old 12-05-2008, 09:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieG View Post
But now I feel like crap 'cuz I blew off her recommendation and now here it is 11 months later and I'm thinking she was right.
You can feel like crap (I've done that at times) OR you can figure, maybe when she was 2mo the doc wouldn't have seen the tt, maybe because your SLP didn't make a strong recommendation about it and so you'd still have these problems but be firm in your own mind that this was _not_ an issue for your LO, and then you may never figure it out. Sometimes things work that way, at least for me, and I need to figure things out at the time I need to figure them out.
#122 of 346 Old 12-05-2008, 10:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does a high palate with a ridge always mean a TT? DS has the high palate, a groove in the middle of his tongue, the bottom teeth that form a V, low weight gain at birth, possible low supply issues, switching back and forth between breasts and incessant nursing even at 25 months and I think he has a small dimple at the base of his spine and he seemed like he had a tight anal sphincter when he was a baby (he would not poop for days and then there would be voluminous amounts of poop). I looked at his tongue, and while I'm not really versed in this, he seems to be able to stick his tongue out and also lift it what seems to be a normal amount. I'm afraid to see anyone unless they are VERY well versed in this because if I get a "nope, no TT," my DH will not give me another chance (and I will never hear the end of it). I'm afraid to hope that this is what precipitated some (if not all) of his problems...

Also, is it just folic acid and vitamin A that cause these sort of defects? Do the WAPF recommendations cover all of this stuff? I'm trying to replenish my stores so that the next kid is at the very least has fewer problems (and is less exhausting).

<>< Alison
#123 of 346 Old 12-05-2008, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
I need to figure things out at the time I need to figure them out.
:

Pat

I have a blog.
#124 of 346 Old 12-05-2008, 10:43 PM

cs, have you noticed anything different about dd's bf habits or latch since the snip?
#125 of 346 Old 12-06-2008, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellasmama2007 View Post
cs, have you noticed anything different about dd's bf habits or latch since the snip?
Nope, not yet... she's still nursing every hour at least, going back and forth from one boobie to the other. And today especially- she seems like she's starving to death. I swear she was asking to nurse every 10 minutes this morning.

The chiro said it might take a while since we're doing it so late- she has to retrain all the cells/muscles/whatever how to work since they're not so tight and restricted anymore, and since she's been doing things that way for 14 months....

But- I can definitely tell a difference in her mouth- she can stick her tongue out way more now and lift it up a lot higher.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#126 of 346 Old 12-06-2008, 01:18 PM

she's probably trying to figure out all the new and wonderful things her mouth can do. plus now that she can suck a little better, maybe she needs to suck up your supply to match too. maybe its a good thing that she wants to nurse so much now? i know it is so exhausting, but im praying for you that this is the start of something wonderful.
#127 of 346 Old 12-06-2008, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
Nope, not yet... she's still nursing every hour at least, going back and forth from one boobie to the other. And today especially- she seems like she's starving to death. I swear she was asking to nurse every 10 minutes this morning.

The chiro said it might take a while since we're doing it so late- she has to retrain all the cells/muscles/whatever how to work since they're not so tight and restricted anymore, and since she's been doing things that way for 14 months....

But- I can definitely tell a difference in her mouth- she can stick her tongue out way more now and lift it up a lot higher.
absolutely. And working with a chiro will really up your chances of optimizing this. I'm so thrilled for you!
#128 of 346 Old 12-06-2008, 03:54 PM

Yeah, I hope so! It would be great if she could pack on a few pounds. And if I could get an occasional 2 hour break between nursings.

#129 of 346 Old 12-06-2008, 09:26 PM

I am also so happy for you and your lo cs, it sound so positive, I think in the long run your LO one will benefit

Did anyone see one of the mothers stories in the "new begining" for this month. She tells of her difficultiis with nursing, even a LC telling her everything looked "normal" and eventually she was able to make contact with dr. Corlyoss (sp? ) in N.Y. and have it clipped there and it all worked out well It's the first I am seeing in a LLL publication, so , Iam hoping this is a sign of more awareness to the "real" problem of a latch that looks normal yet really isn''t.

what about tongue thrusting???????
2 of my dc really gagged and tongue thrusted when they first started solids, between 7-9 months and then around 11-12 months it got better.
one of them still has a little tongue thrust in her speech, although it has gotten somewhat better over the years and speaks well pubically too.
would that hve anything to do with tt, maybe posterior???
#130 of 346 Old 12-09-2008, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

I'm so disappointed. I am still trying to find a knowledgeable doctor with no luck. I just talked to a pediatrician who is also a certified lactation consultant and who was referred to me by a holistic doctor in the area. She had no idea what a posterior tongue tie was and said she only does clipping if it is obviously causing nursing problems or speech problems later on. And she thought at 6 mos DD would need to be sedated. Obviously I won't be going to her. I was really thinking she was going to be knowledgeable! And she made me feel like I don't know what I'm talking about.
#131 of 346 Old 12-09-2008, 08:53 PM

Not all professionals in their field are the best at what they do. I'm so sorry you are having issues, but all you need to do is find someone open minded. Someone who will read the info and be receptive. I can't imagine sedating a 6 month old for this...but that just tells you she's not the one you want doing this.

I know it's rough, but not all docs know this. And don't be suprised by a doc who is an LC not knowing this. It is my understanding that they need to have basically no training in the lactation field. IF they can pass the test, they are IBCLC's. They need something like 1/8 of the contact hours that a "lay" person needs and they can count their patients as contact hours. They don't actually need BREASTFEEDING patients either last time I checked. It will always come down to finding someone open minded, compassionate and that sometimes that means *despite* their credentials. We have an MD/IBCLC near me and I would never ever ever send anyone there.

Don't stop looking! Keep contacting IBCLC's and asking if they have ever dealt with this. If yes, with whom.
#132 of 346 Old 12-09-2008, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

I just got off the phone with the ENT DD's pediatrician referred us to and they were able to move our appt up to tomorrow. So we will see how that goes. I don't have much info on her (and wasn't able to get much from the receptionist) but I will take the article and hope she listens. She is the vice chair of the ENT dept at the childrens hospital here. I don't know if that is good or bad.
#133 of 346 Old 12-09-2008, 09:40 PM

Have you checked the tongue tie threads in the other forums? I thought there was a doctor in your area who does clipping. I read about it a while ago so I might be misremembering. Or, maybe try calling Dr. Coryllos' office and see if she knows someone. She's certainly been around long enough to know lots of people.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#134 of 346 Old 12-09-2008, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
Have you checked the tongue tie threads in the other forums? I thought there was a doctor in your area who does clipping. I read about it a while ago so I might be misremembering. Or, maybe try calling Dr. Coryllos' office and see if she knows someone. She's certainly been around long enough to know lots of people.
I've read threads and searched in the other forums but didn't see anything. If I have to I will fly to NYC but I hope it doesn't come to that. I have a few more leads I will try if tomorrow doesn't work out. My LC referred me to a dr who looks promising but she requires a referral (even though my insurance doens't require it) and DD's pediatrician is out of town till end of next week. I'm just really hoping I get lucky and like this doctor tomorrow!
#135 of 346 Old 12-09-2008, 10:11 PM

Here is ref. to a dentist in San Diego whose knowledgeable.

My dd had her frenulum taken care of with laser when she was 5 and it was an in-office procedure and not a big deal at all, (not like the horror stories I heard of with the regular surgical procedure). Our dentist is very informed with the larger issues of tongue-tie, (not just early breastfeeding issues). He is Dr. Weiner in San Diego area: http://ranchosandiegodental.com/?page=aboutdoctor

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#136 of 346 Old 12-09-2008, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
Here is ref. to a dentist in San Diego whose knowledgeable.

My dd had her frenulum taken care of with laser when she was 5 and it was an in-office procedure and not a big deal at all, (not like the horror stories I heard of with the regular surgical procedure). Our dentist is very informed with the larger issues of tongue-tie, (not just early breastfeeding issues). He is Dr. Weiner in San Diego area: http://ranchosandiegodental.com/?page=aboutdoctor
Thanks, but unfortunately San Diego is about an 8 hour drive from here. It is closer than NYC though! I have a recommendation in Fresno also which is 3 hours away. I just can't believe there isn't a knowledgeable dr around San Francisco ...
#137 of 346 Old 12-10-2008, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waluso View Post
I just got off the phone with the ENT DD's pediatrician referred us to and they were able to move our appt up to tomorrow. So we will see how that goes. I don't have much info on her (and wasn't able to get much from the receptionist) but I will take the article and hope she listens. She is the vice chair of the ENT dept at the childrens hospital here. I don't know if that is good or bad.
GL! Let us know how it goes.

I have an appt with the SLP on 12/19 and the ENT on 1/7, assuming the pediatrician is willing to write an order for the SLP eval. I can't imagine why she wouldn't, but the nurse was suspiciously non-commital when I talked to her today and they didn't ever call me back which is very unusual. Now I'm paranoid and working on my arguement for why this is important even though she's nearly 14 months old and a pretty good nurser at this point. Can we review real quick?

1. Possibly improve nursing and therefore growth/ nutrition
2. Possibly lower palate for fewer long-term dental issues
3. Reduce risk of speech issues
4. Improve the coordination of the GI tract in general which will hopefully help heal the food intolerances and reflux
5. Reduce risk of sleep apnea

Is there anything else? What about management of solids? Would that be affected?

Laurie Busy mama to Boo (10/02) DeeDa (10/04) and Belly (10/07) TS 45X
#138 of 346 Old 12-10-2008, 01:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
GL! Let us know how it goes.

I have an appt with the SLP on 12/19 and the ENT on 1/7, assuming the pediatrician is willing to write an order for the SLP eval. I can't imagine why she wouldn't, but the nurse was suspiciously non-commital when I talked to her today and they didn't ever call me back which is very unusual. Now I'm paranoid and working on my arguement for why this is important even though she's nearly 14 months old and a pretty good nurser at this point. Can we review real quick?

1. Possibly improve nursing and therefore growth/ nutrition
2. Possibly lower palate for fewer long-term dental issues
3. Reduce risk of speech issues
4. Improve the coordination of the GI tract in general which will hopefully help heal the food intolerances and reflux
5. Reduce risk of sleep apnea

Is there anything else? What about management of solids? Would that be affected?
That's a great list, I think I will take that with me tomorrow! I'm not sure about the effect on solids, but the dr I talked to today did ask how DD did with solids. We started on solids and she didn't do great (didn't really swallow anything but I don't know if that is normal at this stage). Then we stopped because she started reacting to something. I would love to hear from others on that.
#139 of 346 Old 12-10-2008, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Quote:
That's a great list, I think I will take that with me tomorrow! I'm not sure about the effect on solids, but the dr I talked to today did ask how DD did with solids. We started on solids and she didn't do great (didn't really swallow anything but I don't know if that is normal at this stage). Then we stopped because she started reacting to something. I would love to hear from others on that.
Well, I can tell you guys what I've noticed so far. DD is definitely getting used to her new tongue flexibility- she's moving it all around, sticking it out. Very cute to watch. She is also eating more since the clipping- maybe coincidence, maybe not. But before, she would shove her mouth as full as she could get it, then walk around with a mouth full of food for an hour or more and would only swallow it after multiple failed attempts at nursing. She hasn't done that at all in the past few days- she's swallowing food within minutes of putting it in her mouth.

So between the clipping and the CST, there is definitely a difference in DD's eating habits. Her food intake is definitely higher than it was even a week ago.

She's gained a little over 1 ounce since the clipping, which is actually the fastest she's gained in months. I'm excited to see how much she gains over the next few weeks as she continues to improve her eating.

#140 of 346 Old 12-10-2008, 01:39 AM

dont' forget the sinuses!!!! They are very compressed when the palate is not drawn down which can lead to chronic sinus issues. Drawing down the palate will also relieve pressure on the sinuses.
#141 of 346 Old 12-10-2008, 02:58 AM

CS - I'm so excited to hear that your LO is gaining and her eating habits have changed for the better!

I just received a rec for a pediatric ENT who has clipped PTTs!

That being said, I haven't taken DS in to be evaluated (by his pedi or otherwise) yet. He's been yelling/crying a lot lately (he's been battling a cold) and his tongue IS cupping and is elevated enough for me to see the frenulum. Whether it's a tie or not, I don't know. I want someone to look at his labial frenulum at any rate.
#142 of 346 Old 12-10-2008, 11:18 AM

cs, thats so awesome - im so excited for you. your description of her trying to nurse with a full mouth is really cute though. so is the sticking out of the "new" tongue
#143 of 346 Old 12-10-2008, 11:30 AM

It *IS* awesome and totally cool. I am lucky to be able to observe alot of babies who are clipped and it's amazing to see them discover their tongue! IT becomes like a toy ad you can just see their glee. It's very clear that it's a whole new freedom for them. Awesome, mama! I can't tell you how happy I am for you! It's really hard to convey to naturally minded mamas how this "invasive" procedure (and it is, dont' get me wrong-it's just alot more minor than most people expect it to be) can change their babies lives when they need it. They just get to experience a whole new world.
#144 of 346 Old 12-10-2008, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
So between the clipping and the CST, there is definitely a difference in DD's eating habits. Her food intake is definitely higher than it was even a week ago.

She's gained a little over 1 ounce since the clipping, which is actually the fastest she's gained in months. I'm excited to see how much she gains over the next few weeks as she continues to improve her eating.
Wow! Meant in a much better way than in your other thread (re: Bastyr). : <--they looked like some of the happiest folks around, but it's sorta funny they're foods.
#145 of 346 Old 12-10-2008, 12:31 PM

, yay , cs , I am so happy to hear

ff, the sinus compression makes so much sense and something I wouldn't have thought about.......I feel like I learn so much from you....thankyou

I also cannot stop thinking about all the "troubles" that many moms experience with nursing and are told " everything looks fine" and are told to work on their latch and everything will be o.k.....
how many of these are tt, especially ptt, I feel like I need to really learn more about this so I can reach more mamas who would otherwise feel like a failure.....
#146 of 346 Old 12-10-2008, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Well, I can tell you guys what I've noticed so far. DD is definitely getting used to her new tongue flexibility- she's moving it all around, sticking it out. Very cute to watch. She is also eating more since the clipping- maybe coincidence, maybe not. But before, she would shove her mouth as full as she could get it, then walk around with a mouth full of food for an hour or more and would only swallow it after multiple failed attempts at nursing. She hasn't done that at all in the past few days- she's swallowing food within minutes of putting it in her mouth.

So happy for you!
#147 of 346 Old 12-10-2008, 02:17 PM

It is exciting. She's definitely enjoying her new tongue.

firefaery- can you tell me about the labial tie? Are there any problems besides teeth placement associated with that one? I was all set to do both the lingual and the labial ties... and now I'm not sure I'm ready to go through the procedure again. I know that the labial one is more painful and bloody than the lingual when clipped, so I want to make sure I have a really good reason before doing that one.

#148 of 346 Old 12-11-2008, 12:53 AM - Thread Starter

I just got back from DD's appt with the ENT. So where do I start? First she asked what was going on and I told her about our problems breastfeeding, the food intolerances, and DD's slow weight gain. She asked what formula we had tried and whether DD tolerated it and I told her I didn't want to switch to formula. That was the first bad sign. When discussing DD's breastfeeding issues, I told her DD nurses less than 5 min at a time (I had forgotten this was unusual). She suggested I pump and bottle feed for a week to see if she starts gaining weight. I told her I wasn't going to do that. Then we started talking about the tongue tie. I mentioned posterior tongue tie and she said she doesn't believe it exists and thinks it is "voo-doo" and "hocus pocus." She also said it is absolutely not tied to food intolerances. But, she said DD does have a mild tongue tie and the breastfeeding issues could possibly be tied to that, and left it up to us as to whether to clip. Although I did not like the dr I decided to have her clip it. It bled more than I thought it would but DD was smiling and laughing less than 5 min later.

But now I am worrying that I should not have trusted her to clip it, although I know she does it often. And I don't have a CST lined up. Any suggestions as to what to look for when finding someone? I asked some local groups for recs but only got 1 response and I am waiting to hear whether that person is experienced with babies. I searched the internet and found several places that do it in my area but not sure if they are any good.

What a long and exhausting day!
#149 of 346 Old 12-11-2008, 12:57 AM

Quote:
I just got back from DD's appt with the ENT. So where do I start? First she asked what was going on and I told her about our problems breastfeeding, the food intolerances, and DD's slow weight gain. She asked what formula we had tried and whether DD tolerated it and I told her I didn't want to switch to formula. That was the first bad sign. When discussing DD's breastfeeding issues, I told her DD nurses less than 5 min at a time (I had forgotten this was unusual). She suggested I pump and bottle feed for a week to see if she starts gaining weight. I told her I wasn't going to do that. Then we started talking about the tongue tie. I mentioned posterior tongue tie and she said she doesn't believe it exists and thinks it is "voo-doo" and "hocus pocus." She also said it is absolutely not tied to food intolerances. But, she said DD does have a mild tongue tie and the breastfeeding issues could possibly be tied to that, and left it up to us as to whether to clip. Although I did not like the dr I decided to have her clip it. It bled more than I thought it would but DD was smiling and laughing less than 5 min later.

But now I am worrying that I should not have trusted her to clip it, although I know she does it often. And I don't have a CST lined up. Any suggestions as to what to look for when finding someone? I asked some local groups for recs but only got 1 response and I am waiting to hear whether that person is experienced with babies. I searched the internet and found several places that do it in my area but not sure if they are any good.

What a long and exhausting day!
Voo-doo huh? WOW. Another winner for a doctor... sounds like all the docs I've seen lately.

I hope you guys get good results from the clipping at least!!

#150 of 346 Old 12-11-2008, 01:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Voo-doo huh? WOW. Another winner for a doctor... sounds like all the docs I've seen lately.

I hope you guys get good results from the clipping at least!!
I don't know which was the worse, the dr i talked to yesterday who had no idea what a posterior tongue tie was or the dr today who thought it was bullsh**. I really do hope we get some benefit from it!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page