Gluten-free families, how do you feel about Bob's RedMill AP GF flour? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-26-2008, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I can get it for a pretty good price from a co-op but it would be 25lbs. I don't want to buy 25lbs unless we will like it.

I did buy a small bag but I can't make much from that (1 lg loaf of bread or a batch of pancakes) so I'm looking for opinions here.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2008, 03:54 AM

I know I have heard /read that the Bob's mill line struggles with x-contamination. We recently bought the GF steel cut oats, which DS may have reacted to. I have to clear him back to baseline before trying it again.

Momma to one small person I call Smoodgie :joy.gif
Old 11-30-2008, 12:20 AM

You know, I have really been wondering about Bob's redmill GF oats, and some of there other products as well. Our oldest son has Celiac severely, and his blood NEVER comes out clean. Our GI doc and our Naturopath both recently told us to not use any GF product from a company that also manufactures any kind of gluten product. I see an increase in my son's symptoms when we use Bob's GF steel cut oats. I had switched b/c they were less expensive, but I will have to go back to using Gluten Free Oats brans oats.

Mama to 3 amazing boys, ages 9, 7 and 21 months. 

Old 11-30-2008, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivayaMama View Post
You know, I have really been wondering about Bob's redmill GF oats, and some of there other products as well. Our oldest son has Celiac severely, and his blood NEVER comes out clean. Our GI doc and our Naturopath both recently told us to not use any GF product from a company that also manufactures any kind of gluten product. I see an increase in my son's symptoms when we use Bob's GF steel cut oats. I had switched b/c they were less expensive, but I will have to go back to using Gluten Free Oats brans oats.
Someone posted recently that Bob's Red Mill just stopped making GF oats because they couldn't keep out the gluten. They kept finding gluten when they tested it.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:06 AM

You know, that just breaks my heart b/c I have been feeding it to my sons almost every other day for about 6 months. I could not figure out why he was still as sick he was, and this would help to explain it. Over the past few weeks, since our last visit to the GI doc, we have had a rule in our house; if it is not made in a GF facility, we just don't eat it. Ugh, I just feel terrible about the oatmeal!

Mama to 3 amazing boys, ages 9, 7 and 21 months. 

Old 11-30-2008, 03:41 AM

This is a link to the discussion:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...+gluten&page=2

Posted by DoulaMary:

"Unfortunately, BRM has recently discontinued their GF oats and steel cut oats due to lack of consistancy and inability to maintain the GF status (i.e. I guess their ELISA testing kept showing x-con and they couldn't figure out how to fix it). I don't know what their problem is since they have tons of other GF products but they no longer make any GF oats - regular or steel cut."
Old 11-30-2008, 11:02 AM

I don't do mixes here and BRM uses a lot of bean flours which I don't like, so I don't use them. The problems w/ the x'con make it even more problematic.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
Old 11-30-2008, 07:06 PM

some of the bobs products have sorghum flour, which every gluten free person i know (locally) has tested bad on. not sure if it is in that mix though. we use the bobs tapioca and potato starch just fine though.

Talia Rose - mountain mama to Grace and Xack::  h20homebirth.gif :homeschool.gif  goorganic.jpgwhale.gifchicken3.gif

www.organicgrace.com Products Healthier for Humans and Gentler on the Earth

Old 11-30-2008, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talia rose View Post
some of the bobs products have sorghum flour, which every gluten free person i know (locally) has tested bad on. not sure if it is in that mix though. we use the bobs tapioca and potato starch just fine though.
Odd, I haven't noticed that on any GF boards, but I guess we are all different. We love sorghum here and no reaction.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!

User Tag List