Charlie's Soap - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 12-09-2008, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I recently switched to Charlie's soap. Like, last Thursday. I thought it was supposed to be a good choice.

This weekend ds had what looked like chapped cheeks. Actually, come to think of it, it was like that on Friday too. Anyway, I figured it was the cold or something and told myself not to panic. I just kept lotioning them up, although it didnt seem to help. I also noticed on Sunday that his shoulder eczema was starting to flair. It usually has a couple dry spots, but it is now a large patch again.

All this, and I never even thought about the detergent. But then this morning I realized that most of the clothes he's been wearing have already been washed in it. Has anyone else had problems with Charlie's?

I'm so frustrated. It was a huge chunk of money for me to put out and basically waste. I guess back to purex f & c for us.
#2 of 10 Old 12-09-2008, 05:08 PM

oh no, I was thinking of switching to charlies because my dd has chapped diaper area. I am using dreft right now. i have used tide and all. but I'm not sure it is any specific detergent. she has eczima on the rest of her body. it just seems that she is getting very chapped in the diaper area. I use tons of lotion on her.
#3 of 10 Old 12-09-2008, 05:09 PM

Sorry to hear that you are having issues. Check the web site I thought that Charlies had a no prolem return policy.

http://www.charliesoap.com/gurantee.asp

They also state on their website that the charlies may bring the residue to the top and may require multiple washings with extra rinses to get ride of the residue.

http://www.charliesoap.com/faq.asp

Good Luck!

S & Yrainbow1284.gif (Vermont Civil Union 7/8/03) DS1 Holdennovaxnocirc.gif (4/25/07) and two in heaven  angel.gif1/10 &  angel.gif5/10 our rainbow1284.gif is here  DS2 Keegan(5/23/11)homebirth.jpg

#4 of 10 Old 12-09-2008, 05:16 PM

I use all f&C for over 6months now, and it does seem that my son's eczema is flaring a bit. I'd say its the weather, maybe not the detergent?

I've used surestop for my daughter a couple years ago, and last year around this time for my son too- guess I need to get it again. Its one of those natural remedies, and may help some.
#5 of 10 Old 12-09-2008, 05:48 PM

That's interesting. I've heard too that Charlie's takes a few washings to get all the residue off your clothes and washing machine. I've never tried it myself though.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#6 of 10 Old 12-09-2008, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by painefaria View Post
Sorry to hear that you are having issues. Check the web site I thought that Charlies had a no prolem return policy.

http://www.charliesoap.com/gurantee.asp

They also state on their website that the charlies may bring the residue to the top and may require multiple washings with extra rinses to get ride of the residue.

http://www.charliesoap.com/faq.asp

Good Luck!
I guess my thinking is that the residue hasnt caused us any problems when we washed our clothes with reg. detergent, why would the charlie's removing residue make him break out?

I'm pretty much not going to chalk it up to weather, ds is very sensitive, and always displays reactions in his cheeks, for whatever reason. That's his spot. We were doing good without charlies, I think we'll just go back to doing good without it.
#7 of 10 Old 12-09-2008, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
That's interesting. I've heard too that Charlie's takes a few washings to get all the residue off your clothes and washing machine. I've never tried it myself though.
Yeah,. I ran the machine like 4 times, and did extra rinses, so I know I got that cleaned out. I dont know, it is the only change we've had, so...
#8 of 10 Old 12-09-2008, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matey View Post
I guess my thinking is that the residue hasnt caused us any problems when we washed our clothes with reg. detergent, why would the charlie's removing residue make him break out?
Yeah... good point. What detergent do you guys normally use?

(nevermind... you already said purex f&c in your op.)

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#9 of 10 Old 12-09-2008, 11:06 PM

Charlie's soap has been known to cause problems with certain children when used to wash diapers, so it's not a stretch to think it could cause an eczema flare.

<>< Alison
#10 of 10 Old 12-10-2008, 11:38 AM

I would like to do both of these if any one would like to call us up. We're nice and approachable. Matey, I have a great answer for you, and Lastrid, I'd like to address this issue that we've been sadly associated with.

But of course, I can't go into it here because of restrictions.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page