Baby gets BRIGHT RED cheeks - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 12-17-2008, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 8 month old ds is having some problems and we suspect food intolerances. He occasionally gets extremely RED cheeks and chin (not after being in the cold or having any other obvious reason for it). Can this be a sign of allergy/intolerance? If so, would you expect it to occur immediately following the food or could it be a delayed reaction? TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 19 Old 12-17-2008, 09:35 PM

In short, yes it can be a sign of intolerance. It's one of ds1's indications that he's been exposed to his single "true" allergy. I can't really tell you how quickly I would expect it to occur, but for his last very mild exposure to dairy I *believe* it took about 30 minutes (bear in mind that I didn't realize until the next day that he'd been exposed- it was a cross contamination issue).

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#3 of 19 Old 12-17-2008, 11:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
For DS his bright red cheeks were a sign RIGHT after he ate the thing (soy).

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#4 of 19 Old 12-18-2008, 02:11 AM

I know we have food issues, and the red cheeks have always been a clue to me as well, but recently I've thought they might just flare up when his teeth are bothering him. I noticed my nephew's baby pictures had red cheeks around 8-11 months too. I'm not sure whether it's teething or food or both!

I'm waiting for an inter-library loan copy of 'is this your child?' by doris rapp (there's a pic on the book of food intolerance-induced red cheeks)
#5 of 19 Old 12-18-2008, 02:17 AM
2xy

When DS1 was a toddler, he got red cheeks from tomato sauce. He would also get a red ring around his anus. Took me awhile to connect it to the food. He outgrew it, but he does have allergies to dogs, cats, and grass.
#6 of 19 Old 12-18-2008, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for your replies! It's very helpful. (Now I'm waiting for my copy of Doris Rapp's book also!) Yesterday I tried to pay very close attention and realized that his cheeks were very red after eating pears and oats and again after eating green beans and oats. So I guess I'm suspecting oats or gluten. I plan to switch him to rice and see whether that helps.

It sounds like the red cheeks could be a sign of allergy or intolerance, right? I'm wondering if allergy testing would be helpful or just a waste of effort.
#7 of 19 Old 12-18-2008, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It's more likely an intolerance, but you could have allergy testing to rule it out (just in case).

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#8 of 19 Old 01-07-2009, 12:05 AM

I am bumping this because I am going through something very similar right now. For the past few days, DS has been getting bright red cheeks on occasion. Sometimes they're just a little pink, and sometimes they're freakishly red. I don't know if it's a new food intolerance or Fifths disease or something else (he has no fever but he does have a chronically runny nose). I'm having a very hard time tracing it to a single food.. Does anyone have an input on this?

Thanks!
#9 of 19 Old 01-07-2009, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

I'm not sure how typical this is, but I'll share what we discovered. He was either having a reaction to wheat (I didn't realize Cheerios had wheat starch) or gluten. It happened about 20-30 minutes after his first bite. We're still working on the elimination diet to figure out the exact trigger(s), but he hasn't had red cheeks at all since the day I took him off oatmeal and cheerios. HTH!
#10 of 19 Old 01-07-2009, 04:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
us too!!! i was just going to post about this until i found this...My son is 7.5. months old and just had his 1st taste of food which was banana 3 days ago. I first noticed the chin being red/pink, then the cheeks. But banana? I didnt think that was a big intolerance culprit. Also, yesterday all day in his poop there were little maroon fibrous things all over. Although they were gone today, we're still waiting on a call back from the doc to see what they have to say. How do i figure out if it's the banana or something I'm eating? He's exclusively nursing except for that teaspoon of banana so far. I guess we'll see how the cheeks go when we switch to a different food next week. any advice?
#11 of 19 Old 01-07-2009, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycmom18 View Post
us too!!! i was just going to post about this until i found this...My son is 7.5. months old and just had his 1st taste of food which was banana 3 days ago. I first noticed the chin being red/pink, then the cheeks. But banana? I didnt think that was a big intolerance culprit. Also, yesterday all day in his poop there were little maroon fibrous things all over. Although they were gone today, we're still waiting on a call back from the doc to see what they have to say. How do i figure out if it's the banana or something I'm eating? He's exclusively nursing except for that teaspoon of banana so far. I guess we'll see how the cheeks go when we switch to a different food next week. any advice?
Well, seeing the banana fibers in the poo is totally normal (for babes and adults!), but the red cheeks would concern me. Banana actually is pretty allergenic, since it's part of the latex family.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#12 of 19 Old 01-07-2009, 05:54 PM

My DD used to get bright red cheeks within an hour or so of eating foods that were higher in salicylates (a naturally occurring food chemical). www.fedupwithfoodadditives.info
#13 of 19 Old 01-07-2009, 11:45 PM

DS (8 months) now gets bright red cheeks and chin when someone touches him after eating something with wheat. That's the only time it's happened, and that was interesting to find out....
#14 of 19 Old 01-09-2009, 11:02 AM

Sign us up, too- my son gets the chapped cheek look after tomatoes. It's not immediate, but it's certainly fast- usually within an hour or two. There are a couple of other things that cause a face rash, but we haven't been able to pin them down. It's rare that it happens, but noticable when it does.
#15 of 19 Old 01-09-2009, 11:33 AM

I've eliminated what I thought was causing the red cheeks in ds, and they still happened occasionally when he slept.. I've reintroduced a few things that I thought was causing them and nothing- he does have a new tooth, though.. maybe that was it?
#16 of 19 Old 01-09-2009, 12:13 PM

My dd is getting her 1st tooth and her cheeks are flaming red. I thought it was just from the tooth- could it be allergies though???

Laura WAHM to Mar 03/01/05 and Evie 05/14/08, partner to Craig
#17 of 19 Old 01-12-2009, 06:49 AM

We're going through this too and I was worried about food intolerances - BUT, we've eliminated all the things I thought it could be e.g. banana, avacado, carrots, me eating chocolate...... and she still gets them. Bright red yesterday and I noticed a new tooth cut. Hmmmmmmm, food intolerance or teething?! Tough one to figure out!
#18 of 19 Old 01-12-2009, 05:25 PM

my ds is teething, he gets the red cheeks, somtimes 1 red cheek, he also drools like crazy but nothing (bumps/redness) on his chin. i assume its teething and hope not a new rx i am missing. when he isn't fussing or drooling with hands in mouth, the red cheeks are gone. weird.
#19 of 19 Old 01-12-2009, 07:39 PM

I think they can be due to the cold:, teething, my dh rubbing his scruffy face all over the baby, excessive drooling and my wool rugs AND food sensitivities. It's hard to parse them all out, that's for sure. My dd got bright red cheeks with corn. My ds got them with pears recently.

User Tag List