Mothering Forum banner

Help! I need powdered sugar!!!!

1K views 34 replies 10 participants last post by  Shelsi 
#1 ·
I need some Miss Roben's powdered sugar but allergygrocer is all out and the shipping through Amazon is $8!!!!!!! for a $5 product. My local HFS can't order it and I need it before X-mas. Any ideas????

#3 ·
I tried that last night actually and I ground it for what seemed like FOREVER. It never got powdered enough and the frosting I made (a trial run for x-mas breakfast pastry) tasted disgustingly grainy. How long do you do it for?

#6 ·
I'm trying to find a boiled frosting recipe for you, fyi. They usually use plain granulated sugar, but most call for dairy and flour- I've been meaning to look for one to replace my favorite recipe from my mom.
Did you add potato starch to your sugar when grinding it? And did you use a blender or grain mill? (I've heard better results from blenders, fwiw.)

#7 ·
I used a mini cuisinart because I didn't have enough sugar to put it in the blender (it didn't cover the blades). I also have a small coffee grinder that I use for grains that I could try but I didn't think of it last night. No, I did not add any starch to it. I would add tapioca. Should I add that before/while grinding?

#8 ·
Here's a link how to do it. (I've never had to do it.)
Different sites suggest only 1 Tablespoon of starch per cup. I'd suggest starting with just 1 to see how it goes. Tapioca starch can be subbed at a 1:1 ratio for cornstarch, in case you don't know (though I'm sure you do).
HTH.

#10 ·
It takes about 10 minutes in my good Waring blender. I use 1 Tbs. tapioca starch to 1 c. granulated sugar. I stop every couple minutes just to give the blender a break. I don't want to overheat it. Though I probably don't need to. After the 10 minutes, try it on your finger (taste it) to see if it's the right consistency, and go longer if you need to.

#11 ·
Like kbrown, it takes a while and we take breaks when grinding our sugar. I'm thinking 20 to 30 minutes for two cups of sugar.
:

So we've just started a boiled frosting recipe, that everyone loves, in fact, it's almost like an unsticky marshmallow creme and we've started using it for our GF donuts and homemade twinkies!

Two egg whites, unbeaten
1 and 1/2 cup gran sugar
5 tbsp water
1 and 1/2 tsp corn syrup (I usually make a simple syrup if I want it really white, or alternate maple syrup)
1 tsp vanilla

Beat together the first four, and heat over double boiler beating for appr seven minutes. When icing stands on the beater, remove from heat and add vanilla, and keep beating until it's as thick as you like. For chocolate, gently stir in 3oz of melted unsweetened chocolate

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Multimomma View Post
Like kbrown, it takes a while and we take breaks when grinding our sugar. I'm thinking 20 to 30 minutes for two cups of sugar.
:

So we've just started a boiled frosting recipe, that everyone loves, in fact, it's almost like an unsticky marshmallow creme and we've started using it for our GF donuts and homemade twinkies!

Two egg whites, unbeaten
1 and 1/2 cup gran sugar
5 tbsp water
1 and 1/2 tsp corn syrup (I usually make a simple syrup if I want it really white, or alternate maple syrup)
1 tsp vanilla

Beat together the first four, and heat over double boiler beating for appr seven minutes. When icing stands on the beater, remove from heat and add vanilla, and keep beating until it's as thick as you like. For chocolate, gently stir in 3oz of melted unsweetened chocolate
Okay, you MUST share the GF twinkie recipe.

#20 ·
Direct to you from the C&H site:

Quote:
Powdered sugar has a finer crystal size than C&H Granulated Sugar and contains 3% cornstarch that keeps the sugar soft. Substitutions may result in unsatisfactory results.

#21 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mommydancer View Post
So, I have to ask, is there something I don't know about C&H pure cane sugar? Their powdered sugar says 100% cane sugar, and that's all it says. What am I missing?
It's mixed with cornstarch, as are all powdered sugars except for Miss Robens (as far as I understand). I just checked their website and it says that the powdered sugar contains 3% cornstarch. I do know their granulated and brown sugars are corn free. Does it really not list cornstarch on the powdered sugar box? If not, that's an illegal practice isn't it? Crazy!!!

#23 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shelsi View Post
The shipping is crazy expensive through Miss Robens as well.

I've heard the walmart brand of powdered sugar is corn free but I think it uses wheat starch

Nope, walmart brand ps has corn starch, every generic brand does....sigh.

I'll post those recipes as soon as I can get one of the kids to fetch the recipe box. Long day and my round ligaments are screamin for mercy (and bed rest)

M

#24 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Multimomma View Post
Nope, walmart brand ps has corn starch, every generic brand does....sigh.

I'll post those recipes as soon as I can get one of the kids to fetch the recipe box. Long day and my round ligaments are screamin for mercy (and bed rest)

M
Maybe they changed then. It's on the corn free list: http://corn-freefoods.blogspot.com/2...-dec-2007.html

WalMart Great Value brand Confectioner's Sugar ? (beet sugar & wheat starch) read labels

#26 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shelsi View Post
Maybe they changed then. It's on the corn free list: http://corn-freefoods.blogspot.com/2...-dec-2007.html
Nope, we've been corn-free my entire life, because my dad is allergic as well. Once every three months I get a bee in my bonnet and go through nearly everything in every grocery store in town, thinking surely someone will have corn free something. Maybe it depends on where you shop? But in Ok/Tx it's never been safe.

But did I ever tell you guys about the year I spent three hours trying to find creamed corn without corn starch? My fav recipe from my granma was skillet corn, and I wanted a dinner that was all safe. It was a big duh moment when I realized you can't find corn free creamed corn

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.